✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

I talk shit about Coldplay

The Reckoner 00

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they're caught up and concentrating on making the most of their fame... I mean the band is ambitious and only like, what.. all in their 20's. Look at it this way, if you were ambitious, and young, and got the kind of attention they got making music, all the while aware that in the end it is just music (i.e. not as world-defining as say starting a war), and also not so set in character (i.e. there's room for change e.g. in musical direction), wouldn't you think that you might very well try what Coldplay have attempted? That is, to see how many records you could sell, stretching your musical boundaries outside of your genre/what originally made you successful? Remember, they found success relatively early and easily and haven't had much failure... They probably feel quite invincible (rightly) and aren't scared to try out and discover what they can / can't do... Maybe you need to put it in perspective a little that for Coldplay, they are still at the trying out things stage... Many other bands who've played for years before getting signed up/famous know what works/doesn't for them so stick to what they know.

I do also feel somewhat sad at what they've lost, but I do believe that one day they'll get it back... People can't live like what they're doing now for too long without it all falling apart. I think these guys have it in them to know how to pick up the pieces then and get it all back. When that happens, I reckon that album will be heaps better than Parachutes given the way the band have never stopped improving in their other areas.

I would agree to a certain extent. But when you think about it, it's only natural that the band has changed over time. Priorities change i.e. family, and of course the music is a progression from that. As they become more successful, the fan base grows so of course the small intimate gigs aren't enough to accommodate everyone. And as for letting success go to their heads. Why shouldn't they? Look at Oasis for god's sake. The latest album is the first in christ knows how long to even BEGIN to live up to the hype they create for themselves.

Right! Off to work now! :lol:

(and I am an Oasis fan too by the way!)

For some odd reason, this thread smacks of...well...crap. The thing I can't stand is when fans begrudge a band their success and that's what this seems to be. Okay, they're huge right now. So what?

Let me see if I can address/rebut the points that you've brought up.

First, I do believe that Parachutes was an absolutely beautiful and incredibly intimate record. But I never expected their following records to be a mirror of their first. Who would want to listen to a band regurgitate the same themes and the like? I love the fact that Coldplay has changed it up a bit and explored other feels in their music. I respect that and I also believe that if they HAD mirrored Parachutes, we would be reading about how little they've changed their music, how repetitive they are and how much they lack creativity. A damned if you do, damned if you don't type of situation. Give the guys a break! Their success allows them their exploration and obviously there are millions upon millions of fans out there who do appreciate their "bombastic" records. Unless of course, we've all been brainwashed...but I highly doubt that.

I've been to a show of theirs and although it was in an amphitheater, it still had an incredible feeling of intimacy. I've been to many shows and it was, by far, the best I've ever seen. Again, yes, they're famous. And yes, they're well aware of that. How could they not be? But I don't believe that they've ever said they were "the greatest thing that ever happened to music" as you put it. I've heard Chris in interviews say it in jest but I'm not sure if they truly believe it. And if they even think that in the slightest, more power to them! I'd rather a band go out into the world with the desire to conquer rather than going in with a defeatist attitude. By the way, you've said that they've lost their focus. What exactly do you think their focus was? They did start out the band to make beautiful music and I believe they're still making beautiful music. Granted, they aren't the most poetic out there but what gets me about their songs aren't so much the lyrics as the inflections in Chris' voice, the amazing riffs from Jonny and the rhythm and beats from Guy and Will. That's why I love Coldplay.

Anyway, I think I ranted enough. I just hate it when people come onto these boards and try to rip on the band. Although this person bashed them a little more eloquently than most but still...

If you dislike who they are so much, don't listen to them...and definitely don't come onto a message board devoted to the band! I mean really...

...and I'm spent... :D

Well said Lucinda I agree, how does anyone know what a bands focus is/was...and who's to say if not given the opportunity that anyone wouldnt do the same thing that Coldplay has. Of course they feel pressure to create music, in a quick and timely manor for the record company. They are growing in fame. I mean look what happened to Oasis. Their first few albums were amazing and then they put shite out that should have been buried in the muck. Their loyal fans have stuck by them even when their music wasnt up to par with their first releases. They loved their music for what it was. That is what devout fans of any band does. They appreciate the music for what it is. Coldplay have grown musically and there is no doubt in my mind that no matter what they put out will be good in my book because, as I.Am.Will.Obsessed put it, Chris' voice, the amazing riffs from Jonny and the rhythm and beats from Guy and Will are amazing. I fell in love with coldplay's music because of this and I can't see a time when I wont appreciate their musical talent.

sadly, Mr Reckoner, I agree with much of what you've said. I still believe they have the capacity of being a great, but Mr Martin will have to either get his feet back on the ground or at least write better songs with his feet off it.

^ But I think for a lot of us... What made Coldplay unique (out of so many other bands out there) was that they sounded a lot more sincere and intimate (I would even venture to say second-to-none on this) than many others. So it's uber-tragic for this section of us fans, that they seem to have lost that aspect of their music...

and I agree that they arent as intimate as they were. I miss that greatly. I have seen them in clubs the size of a high school gym and I have seen them in huge stadiums and believe me I would give anything to go back to seeing them in those small little places where it felt like they were playing for you and you only. That is how I see their albums as well. Parachutes was the small club cd and x&y is the stadium cd. I still love thier music even though it has gotten bigger.

give it a rest!!!

if you feel that way about coldplay who are THE BEST BAND EVER!! what are you doing on this site? this site is for us true fans who no matter what will always be with coldplay through the thick and thin!! and i wish people would stop comparing coldplay with u2 and oasis!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

COLDPLAY ARE THE BEST!!!!!

LOVE YOU GUYS!!!! :) :) :)

To be honest,

I think that Coldplay were at their best in the Bigger Stronger, Brothers and Sisters era. It doesnt mean that I hate X&Y, because x&y is what made me fall inlove with them, but hearing songs like Bigger Stronger and all of those, I feel like Coldplay is losing it to the media. I still love them more than any other band, but they arent as great as they once were.

Im sure they will go back to the original sound eventually. :)

^ I'm very sure they will. Cause I must agree they lost something on X&Y that the previous two albums still contained. Though it's a really good album, it just didn't felt all the same. I was a little bit dissappointed, but that doesn't makes me not a fan anymore. There's still no other music I love more than theirs. They still run my heart you know. And I'm not scared at all there are going to be more X&Y's in the future. I have this strong feeling their next album will be how it belongs again, and will break down all the negative comments and the doubts if they lost 'it'. I can feel that. I totally trust them. They'll hit back. Raawrrgh :cool:

Re: give it a rest!!!

if you feel that way about coldplay who are THE BEST BAND EVER!! what are you doing on this site? this site is for us true fans who no matter what will always be with coldplay through the thick and thin!! and i wish people would stop comparing coldplay with u2 and oasis!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

COLDPLAY ARE THE BEST!!!!!

LOVE YOU GUYS!!!! :) :) :)

Untrue, It's a public message board

Not for Coldplay fans olny

Erm I agree with the guy who started this thread....But I think AROBTTH was great

But X&Y bores me......The songs sound alike....Theres nothing new there

in my opinion coldplay is getting better and better...initially, I didn't like the last album but then I started to listen to it more often and now I love it very much.I'm sure they're still making beautiful songs!!!I know that lots of people got shocked with this album but I think that's because they tried to make different songs but with the same passion as always... :)

The Reckoner 00,

You're right to give your opinion, but it's possible that YOU have changed too, and that today, coldplay don't bring you nothing anymore ....i'm sad for you, really....but, it's your choice and have respect for the others opinions ;)

( please, please, forgive me for my poor little english, I would have said so much more in french.... :cry: )

I think that at this point Coldplay will either become a great band and come out with something or get lost in the Hype like you're saying. I have to agree that this album didn't touch me like the last two but I also have seen them in concert at Madison Square Garden (one of the most famous venues in the US) and it was an amazing experience. Have you ever seen then live Reckoner? Because if you haven't you should and I think you might have a different perspective

Let's see.... to address everything......

I'm not NOT a fan because I still love their early stuff, so please don't tell me to move along just because I expressed a dissenting opinion about their current musical direction.

I think the biggest factor in my disappointment is in the sound itself. I trust you all have heard of "over-production" because that is exactly what has happened post-Parachutes. There is often too much going on to focus on the beautiful parts of songs. Parachutes sounds like it just happened and someone was around to record the magic. Everything after has sounded forced and heavy-handed musically speaking.

If there's anything I can't stand in music, it's heavy-handedness, forced writing (more lyrically speaking), and deconstruction of music through over-production. I know the songs are good and hold much potential because I saw the boys play a few acoustic tracks on TV a few months ago. It was absolutely gorgeous. Then I went back and listened to the album and nearly vomited. It's absolutely tragic what's been done to the songs, most likely by some over-ambitious producer. It's really disappointing as a fan to experience such a back-slide from a band that has so much potential.

I've not given up hope on the band, I've just given up on their current state of music. I love when bands grow. I wouldn't want Parachutes II, but I also wouldn't want to be beat over the head with the music. Just look at Radiohead: they grew tremendously and in 2000 released the most incredibly different album in a long time.

(oh, and check my start date. I may have only a few posts here, but i've been around)

Trust me I'm not head over heals for the newest album either and I like alot of other bands besides Coldplay. I actually came on this website to see if I could find a bootleg acoustic version of A Message. I'm on a mission.

I really don't remember the song names because I'm not familiar with the latest album.

And to answer a previous question, yes, I've seen Coldplay twice. Once at the Aragon Ballroom when they played with Grandaddy (absolutely beautiful show. Loved it to death) and once at the UIC Pavilion that was packed to the brim with people. The sound was nice, but I really enjoyed the company I was with more than the actual show.