Elliott Smith

God

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wikipedia writes a lot about that

here's a quote:

David McConnell, although there through much of the actual recording process, was not consulted during the mixing, nor was he asked for the extensive "three years' worth" of notes he and Smith had made while the album was being recorded. The producer also noted that the track "Ostriches & Chirping", a short instrumental made from sampling and looping the noises made by a toy bird, had nothing to do with Smith and was something that McConnell had recorded by himself. McConnell said: "...don't ask me how this ended up on the record, I totally forgot I had put that on one of his reels."

When asked what he believed the late Smith would think of the released version of the album, McConnell told Benjamin Nugent, "I don't think he would have delivered [that] record. The record he would have delivered would have had more songs, would have had different mixes and [been] a little more in-your-face."Schnapf also expressed that the final result that he and Bolme had produced was not the album that Smith would have made. Schnapf also said that they did not add anything to the songs, and only mixed whatever had been recorded: "I would never presume to add anything. We didn't add anything."

• 2 weeks later...