✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

"I just bought..." -- post your recent purchase!

alyssa

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the summer I got some things that are a bit Coldplay-related:

These bracelets. The last one really reminds me of the visuals of a kaleidoscope [emoji5]

522ab0806e0f9a738c8fc466830ae2ee.jpg

These shoes. They're called Inkkas and they're handmade in Peru. They come from fair trade and for each sold pair, a tree is planted on the Amazon. They're colourful, so... Coldplay [emoji3]

e8b11221e6841d2fda27395282d6e9cb.jpg

This cap - I couldn't resist...

(this is mostly a DIY thing, since I bought the cap and the patch separately. My mom sewed everything together later) [emoji28]

9e9e82453328505f60d4f54bc8e68c18.jpg

5187a08c7c2d5ad9c3ec62907f524ca5.jpg

I also bought some other things unrelated to the band, like books and such, but these were the ones I wanted to share with you the most [emoji14]

Looove the bracelets, the shoes and love the diy cap!

• Like 1

Last weekend I finally got the Parachutes orange vinyl. I didn't actually have the album on vinyl at all so I figured it was a great chance to add it to my collection. I had ordered one at my local B&N and they never called me ... I called them and apparently the order was randomly cancelled. I got nervous and tracked down one at a store 40 minutes away and went and got it. Good thing because my second order was cancelled too! I'm sure I could have ordered it online but I wasn't taking chances on missing out altogether.

parachutesvinyl_zpsoqmjm7oh.jpg

It looks and sounds amazing! I also got a big kick out of the "you might like" slip they printed out with my receipt. Wow, Barnes and Noble, your algorithm for guessing what I might like is uncanny.

parachutesreceipt_zpskzibhwcp.jpg

• Like 7

Last weekend I finally got the Parachutes orange vinyl. I didn't actually have the album on vinyl at all so I figured it was a great chance to add it to my collection. I had ordered one at my local B&N and they never called me ... I called them and apparently the order was randomly cancelled. I got nervous and tracked down one at a store 40 minutes away and went and got it. Good thing because my second order was cancelled too! I'm sure I could have ordered it online but I wasn't taking chances on missing out altogether.

parachutesvinyl_zpsoqmjm7oh.jpg

It looks and sounds amazing! I also got a big kick out of the "you might like" slip they printed out with my receipt. Wow, Barnes and Noble, your algorithm for guessing what I might like is uncanny.

parachutesreceipt_zpskzibhwcp.jpg

I lol'ed at that last part :P

Man, all of you guys are so cool with your vinyls and posters and special pictures and stuff... and here's me in a lonely corner, with not even a single physical item or anything related to Coldplay, not even a little key thingy... let alone a CD... :(

Who knew that the new "cool" thing would actually be having physical releases of music once again rather than just having it on your phone as a digital file, which used to be the "cool" thing way back when? I mean, the music itself is the same. But I feel as it something about it is in fact different... the music is stored on something so precious and irreplacable, that actually has a collector's kind of purpose behind it.... I mean, any old Joe Schmoe could buy the MP3, or even pirate it. There's the music! But it feels... disposable. Replacable. Unlike these collectors items here which you over time form an irreplacable bond with. You can't just "get another one" and expect it to feel the same way. You've built up great times and memories over the years with it that can't be replaced by simply just buying another one... and over time it just becomes so important in your life to you, amongst this new digital age where you can get unlimited amounts of everything... Something that's rarer. More precious. That holds a bond, a feeling, a purpose more effectively then a disposable digital file.

Sure, it's easier getting a digital file and listening to it. But that's the thing. Everything is too easy nowadays it seems like. With stuff like vinyl or even CD you've got to spend a little extra time setting stuff up and dedicating time to listen to the album, actually physically handling objects, getting up, moving around in the process... and even while listening you may go do something else. That forms memories much more effectively then mindlessly clicking "play" to play a full album. You're enveloped in this digital sea all of the time you're doing that. If you spend an hour listening to the physical copy in the living room on a really nice day... the experience feels more genuine. And so true memories with your record will form over time, better than once again mindlessly clicking play on a digital copy.

People my age tend not to care or think about these things, and I grew up in this more digitized age of stuff... hence why I never got around to getting much of anything physical when it comes to Coldplay, even though I'd like too! It's just the convenience of digital stuff is nice and has distracted me for so long...one day I shall get these physical copies. Sooner rather than later hopefully, let's enjoy this younger less busy life while I can! :)

Hope all of you enjoyed the little topic I went off on LOL :)

• Like 6

I lol'ed at that last part :P

Man, all of you guys are so cool with your vinyls and posters and special pictures and stuff... and here's me in a lonely corner, with not even a single physical item or anything related to Coldplay, not even a little key thingy... let alone a CD... :(

Who knew that the new "cool" thing would actually be having physical releases of music once again rather than just having it on your phone as a digital file, which used to be the "cool" thing way back when? I mean, the music itself is the same. But I feel as it something about it is in fact different... the music is stored on something so precious and irreplacable, that actually has a collector's kind of purpose behind it.... I mean, any old Joe Schmoe could buy the MP3, or even pirate it. There's the music! But it feels... disposable. Replacable. Unlike these collectors items here which you over time form an irreplacable bond with. You can't just "get another one" and expect it to feel the same way. You've built up great times and memories over the years with it that can't be replaced by simply just buying another one... and over time it just becomes so important in your life to you, amongst this new digital age where you can get unlimited amounts of everything... Something that's rarer. More precious. That holds a bond, a feeling, a purpose more effectively then a disposable digital file.

Sure, it's easier getting a digital file and listening to it. But that's the thing. Everything is too easy nowadays it seems like. With stuff like vinyl or even CD you've got to spend a little extra time setting stuff up and dedicating time to listen to the album, actually physically handling objects, getting up, moving around in the process... and even while listening you may go do something else. That forms memories much more effectively then mindlessly clicking "play" to play a full album. You're enveloped in this digital sea all of the time you're doing that. If you spend an hour listening to the physical copy in the living room on a really nice day... the experience feels more genuine. And so true memories with your record will form over time, better than once again mindlessly clicking play on a digital copy.

People my age tend not to care or think about these things, and I grew up in this more digitized age of stuff... hence why I never got around to getting much of anything physical when it comes to Coldplay, even though I'd like too! It's just the convenience of digital stuff is nice and has distracted me for so long...one day I shall get these physical copies. Sooner rather than later hopefully, let's enjoy this younger less busy life while I can! :)

This is an interesting perspective to read ... I tend to feel very entrenched in physical music having come from the generation mostly before the digital age. But I will say I love having it all digitally too, and the availability of digital music had a massive impact on me as a music fan. While I did first hear Coldplay on the radio, I really discovered their music by downloading it in college and my roommate sharing mp3s with me (of course I feel awful about that now because in those days nobody got paid for downloads, but I didn't know), and then I bought the CD and all the CDs since. But it was sort of revolutionary discovery tool ... and now we have versions of that that aren't morally questionable, which is awesome. I mean, if it weren't for digital music, I probably wouldn't know B-sides from singles that weren't even released in the US, or hear all these great live versions, etc. Those things are mind-blowingly cool.

I'm in a generation that really saw the most change I think, in music platforms. When I was born everyone had vinyl. As a little kid I had cassettes and my parents got their first CD player (CDs came in longboxes, I remember!). I got a discman and started buying CDs as a teen. When I turned 18, the digital stuff started. In my mid 20s I got the iPods. I can't say I really ever got on the streaming train or bluetooth stereo. In 2008 I put an iPod-interface stereo in my car and that thing spoiled me, I love it (Viva La Vida was actually the first thing I listened to after I installed it). But I really never let go of CDs, and I actually get teased for that quite a bit (I get teased for having an iPod!). It is just nice to have a physical item that stays with you through time ... I look at my AROBTTH CD and that thing has been all over with me, college, multiple houses, multiple jobs, etc.

But at the end of the day if you can enjoy the music in any way at all, that's the best gift. It's really the songs and the feelings they give you that stay with you the deepest and longest, trust me, so don't worry if you don't have a physical collection just yet (or even ever). :happy:

• Like 6

This is an interesting perspective to read ... I tend to feel very entrenched in physical music having come from the generation mostly before the digital age. But I will say I love having it all digitally too, and the availability of digital music had a massive impact on me as a music fan. While I did first hear Coldplay on the radio, I really discovered their music by downloading it in college and my roommate sharing mp3s with me (of course I feel awful about that now because in those days nobody got paid for downloads, but I didn't know), and then I bought the CD and all the CDs since. But it was sort of revolutionary discovery tool ... and now we have versions of that that aren't morally questionable, which is awesome. I mean, if it weren't for digital music, I probably wouldn't know B-sides from singles that weren't even released in the US, or hear all these great live versions, etc. Those things are mind-blowingly cool.

I'm in a generation that really saw the most change I think, in music platforms. When I was born everyone had vinyl. As a little kid I had cassettes and my parents got their first CD player (CDs came in longboxes, I remember!). I got a discman and started buying CDs as a teen. When I turned 18, the digital stuff started. In my mid 20s I got the iPods. I can't say I really ever got on the streaming train or bluetooth stereo. In 2008 I put an iPod-interface stereo in my car and that thing spoiled me, I love it (Viva La Vida was actually the first thing I listened to after I installed it). But I really never let go of CDs, and I actually get teased for that quite a bit (I get teased for having an iPod!). It is just nice to have a physical item that stays with you through time ... I look at my AROBTTH CD and that thing has been all over with me, college, multiple houses, multiple jobs, etc.

But at the end of the day if you can enjoy the music in any way at all, that's the best gift. It's really the songs and the feelings they give you that stay with you the deepest and longest, trust me, so don't worry if you don't have a physical collection just yet (or even ever). :happy:

True. If it weren't for the internet or digital music or anything there would be sooooooo many artists that I wouldn't know today... I think it's really great for discovering music and having it available to you anytime you want is a plus side. But I don't think anything can beat actually dedicating time to put a physical copy of something into it's player, it forms memories more solidly then a digital file you can click on. It's good for listening to your favorite artists.

I agree with your very last statement. At the end of the day I still love the musi. :)

• Like 1

True. If it weren't for the internet or digital music or anything there would be sooooooo many artists that I wouldn't know today... I think it's really great for discovering music and having it available to you anytime you want is a plus side. But I don't think anything can beat actually dedicating time to put a physical copy of something into it's player, it forms memories more solidly then a digital file you can click on. It's good for listening to your favorite artists.

I agree with your very last statement. At the end of the day I still love the musi. :)

Indeed, I definitely love physically holding it in my hands and placing it in a player, looking at the art, and the sense of making a commitment to just one album for at least that little chunk of time. I suppose we are lucky to have the best of both worlds these days, really.

I lol'ed at that last part[emoji14]

I totally agree!

I hardly ever buy digital music because I just feel like it's not really special. I can listen to the song on YouTube or Spotify or whatever, of course if I buy it digitally I actually "own it" but it doesn't feel like that because it's not much different from hitting play anywhere else. But having a CD makes it so much more special, you have something to hold in your hand, to look at and when you play it it automatically makes you enjoy the music much more just because it's special. You can connect so many memories with it.

When I was younger I never bought CDs cause I didn't get the point if it, I thought it was just more complicated and forces you to always listen to just one album not your entire music collection.

But luckily because of coldplay I decided to buy my first CD at some point just because I wanted to have something from them and now I love buying CDs so much!

I don't care if anyone says CDs are dead;)

• Like 3

Indeed, I definitely love physically holding it in my hands and placing it in a player, looking at the art, and the sense of making a commitment to just one album for at least that little chunk of time. I suppose we are lucky to have the best of both worlds these days, really.

That's for sure! :)

I totally agree!

I hardly ever buy digital music because I just feel like it's not really special. I can listen to the song on YouTube or Spotify or whatever, of course if I buy it digitally I actually "own it" but it doesn't feel like that because it's not much different from hitting play anywhere else. But having a CD makes it so much more special, you have something to hold in your hand, to look at and when you play it it automatically makes you enjoy the music much more just because it's special. You can connect so many memories with it.

When I was younger I never bought CDs cause I didn't get the point if it, I thought it was just more complicated and forces you to always listen to just one album not your entire music collection.

But luckily because of coldplay I decided to buy my first CD at some point just because I wanted to have something from them and now I love buying CDs so much!

I don't care if anyone says CDs are dead;)

I agree, you can just click play on any digital file but having a physical item in your hand is that much more special...

And I mean, I wouldn't have CD's for every single artist and song I like even a little bit. For me, more of the special artists like Coldplay in my life.

Digital files are cool too, since it is much easier to discover songs you like on the Internet and have that convenience of playing them. Again for me it'd likely be more of a special thing for the few artist I love the most.

• Like 2

I agree, you can just click play on any digital file but having a physical item in your hand is that much more special...

And I mean, I wouldn't have CD's for every single artist and song I like even a little bit. For me, more of the special artists like Coldplay in my life.

Digital files are cool too, since it is much easier to discover songs you like on the Internet and have that convenience of playing them. Again for me it'd likely be more of a special thing for the few artist I love the most.

I agree, it's only for special artists for me as well. I love the internet for discovering artists so much, there are so many artists I would never have found. In fact I probably wouldn't be a coldplay fan without it, for me just hearing singles on the radio just isn't enough to really fall in love with an artist. Music streaming for sure has many negative sides but I would never be able to discover or own as many songs as I found through it.

So appreciate both the old and the new technology:D

• Like 2

I agree, it's only for special artists for me as well. I love the internet for discovering artists so much, there are so many artists I would never have found. In fact I probably wouldn't be a coldplay fan without it, for me just hearing singles on the radio just isn't enough to really fall in love with an artist. Music streaming for sure has many negative sides but I would never be able to discover or own as many songs as I found through it.

So appreciate both the old and the new technology:D

Yep :)

If it weren't for the Internet I probably wouldn't love Coldplay as much. I listened to my first song of theirs way back in 2008/09 on some random video otherwise completely unrelated. Then again I did hear quite a few of their singles on the radio and considered them to be really good. I think the songs I knew before checking their music out were Viva la Vida, A Sky Full Of Stars, Speed of Sound, and Clocks. I heard Paradise and Princess Of China before but never really knew they were by Coldplay, I didn't even know the song titles.

If it weren't for the Internet there'd be many artists I love know that I would have no idea about.

So we can appreciate both sides of the spectrum here :D

• Like 2

Has anyone here bought that AHFOD album from Coldplay.com that comes with holographic stickers? where'd you stick those stickers? just wondering

On my bedroom mirror, in my Coldplay shrine.

I wanted to put them on my car but they had to stick on the outside so that was a no-no.[ATTACH=full]5952[/ATTACH]

• Like 4

On my bedroom mirror, in my Coldplay shrine.

I wanted to put them on my car but they had to stick on the outside so that was a no-no.[ATTACH=full]5952[/ATTACH]

What?!! Just that shot of your bedroom looks cool!

I wish I had a place that looked like that! Sweet!

• Like 1