• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Kasabian's unholy rollin' Empire

Oasis' heir apparent: British band is set on conquering North America

Tom Meighan is talking about the difficulty for British bands in breaking through in North America. I know this because that's explicitly what I asked him about. If I were going only on what's coming out of his mouth, it would be a little trickier to figure out.

"It's really hard, man," Meighan says. "Unless you're f---ing Coldplay or U2 and wanna f---in' have sex with whatever, like Bono does for world peace or whatever, it's just really so difficult."

At least, I think that's what Meighan says. Complicating matters is that he has quite possibly the world's thickest northern English accent, and that he talks extraordinarily quickly, punctuated by sudden bursts of raucous laughter. To make matters worse, he's on a very shaky cell phone -- in the rain -- in New York City. At one point, I'm pretty sure that he goes on an extensive search for an umbrella ("where's my brolly?"), but I could be wrong.

Even when he's barely intelligible, however, one thing is clear: The lead singer of Kasabian absolutely loves his job.

In the grand tradition of Oasis, with whom they've toured and to whom they're often billed as heirs apparent, Kasabian arrive on North American shores with limitless quantities of bravado -- largely manifested in a willingness to slag other acts. Justin Timberlake, Meighan recently pronounced, is "a midget with whiskers who is just trying to be black." And when the Rolling Stones handed Kasabian a coveted opening spot, they were rewarded by Meighan branding them as "granddads" who "should be drinking cups of tea in their armchairs."

There is a difference, though, between Meighan and curmudgeonly Noel Gallagher -- or, for that matter, most other British acts that have ventured across the Atlantic. For most, treks across North America playing to crowds a fraction of the ones back at home are one i terminable downer -- so frustrating that they head home vowing to stay as far from this continent as possible, if the band members are even talking to each other by that point.

Wandering around New York in the rain, though, Meighan -- who insists that his volleys at other bands are only "tongue in cheek" -- is a kid in a candy shop. "I find it amazing," he enthuses. "I mean, we're starting again from the beginning. You know, Britain, we're doing brilliant. But over here, it's fresh, and you've still got a lot of f---ing work to do. And I don't give a damn about the f---ing Strokes [note for rock feud connoisseurs: He might have actually said "Stripes"], you know what I mean? We want to come here as a British band and conquer the place, you know, being British."

Being British is perhaps what Kasabian does best. Combining the druggy electro-rock of early '90s Madchester with the flair of equally druggy mid '90s Britrock, they produce a high-testosterone (and extremely druggy) hybrid to warm an anglophile's heart.

This, of course, is not entirely unusual; in one form or another, British bands have made handsome careers playing off their musical forefathers. But what's made this work for Kasabian, who celebrate yesterday's release of sophomore album Empire with a sold-out show at Toronto's Phoenix, is not so much music as attitude.

True, they've shown a knack on both their albums for writing killer singles (Club Foot and L.S.F. on their debut and Empire's title track), and their latest disc shows a welcome diversification of their sound -- including a stellar ballad in the form of British Legion. But Kasabian's real secret is that, more than most of their contemporaries, they play the role of unabashed rock stars to perfection.

Case in point is the video for Empire -- an insanely high-budget spectacle starring Meighan and his bandmates as soldiers in some sort of Napoleonic battle scene. "No band's making videos like that," he assesses. "It was in Romania. It was about 90 degrees -- I was sweating like f---. But we had a great time doing it. It was a long day, but in the end it was a little masterpiece. We all look great as well, man." Lest you think Kasabian are more confident in their looks than their music, Meighan is only too happy to correct you. "We went into the studio as more of a band than we did before, when we were sitting around looping things in a stony, hazy kinda feel," he says. "For this new record, we kind of woke up from that smoking weed kind of thing, and it's the next stage. We've left the psychedelic haze behind -- we're more champagne and Rolls Royces now."

That time, I was pretty sure that's what he said. It's quite possible he's practised that line, and well he should. If Kasabian ever turns earnest, Britrock will be a lot less fun.

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=29b9eba1-09c9-4828-ac60-c337facfa419&k=63613&p=2

"It's really hard, man," Meighan says. "Unless you're f---ing Coldplay or U2 and wanna f---in' have sex with whatever, like Bono does for world peace or whatever, it's just really so difficult."

That is probably one of the funniest sentences ever :laugh4:

I love them, but they're bastards for canceling the free show I went to in Providence because 7 of us turned up. I know it'd be awkward, but one song? Give us SOMETHING! And all of them didn't come out to visit us fans. We were just standing there like :(

Too big for their britches, but at the same time, so's Oasis and the lot. The music's good, and as long as it continues to be I won't be pissed :laugh4:

• 10 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Kasabian give away new single online for free

Kasabian are to give away their comeback single 'Vlad The Impaler' as a free download.

The band are making the track available for free through Kasabian.co.uk from next Tuesday (March 31) - but only for four days.

Speaking to NME.COM about the track - which precedes Kasabian's third album 'West Rider Pauper Lunatic Asylum' - guitarist Serge Pizzorno told NME.COM he is looking forward to seeing people's reactions.

"After a few listens people will understand why it's first because it blows the doors off," he said. "I wanted it to have a Beastie Boys and Clash feel."

A video for the song, featuring 'The Mighty Boosh''s Noel Fielding and directed by Arctic Monkeys associate Richard Ayoade, also premieres on the site on March 31.

Both the download and the video will be available on Kasabian.co.uk at 7:30pm (GMT) on March 31. The download of 'Vlad The Impaler' is available for free until midnight on April 3.

Kasabian's first physical single release from 'West Rider Pauper Lunatic Asylum' will be 'Fire', out on June 1. The album itself is released on June 8.

To read a full interview with Pizzorno, get this week's issue of NME, on sale across the country now (March 25).