✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

what is the hardest jonny buckland guitar riff to play?

i know he's not renowned for technically difficult guitar parts but what do u think is the hardest. what took you the longest to get right?

i remember when i first started, playing spies was my main goal but that's easy now.

i think probably only superstition is hard and the bending in yellow is still tricky.

what do u think?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay, i just looked at the tab for only superstition since the last time like... a year ago... and now it's pretty simple, :lol:

what i can't learn is the rhythm guitar. :( which is prolly chris's part, not jonny's, heh. jonny's doing all the lead stuff...

actually... there's not really that decent of an only supersition tab online right now--has kapone tabbed it? maybe that's why some people think it's really hard--cuz the tabs are wrong :confused:

i mean, it is kinda hard, but the tabs i'm finding suck! lol

Try singing the four part harmony of Fix You and playing Jonny's riff at the same time. They're completely independant of each other. It's pretty tough.

hahaha, i had to do that live when my band covered the song...needless to say i gained a ton of respect for jonny that night :D

• 3 months later...

i dont think any of coldplays stuff is hard at all. jonny is a great guitarist and everything but hes no guitar genius. if u look at all his music alot of it is just striking one note for a couple measures. thats why i think jimmy page is one of the greatest cause if u sit down and look at his stuffyou can tell he really put thought into his songs.I'm not saying that jonny doesnt but... Dont get me wrong i love coldplay and im a die-hard fan but i personally think that jonny's and chris's stuffs not difficult, except for chords like 10,12,12,10,10,0 like they use in the scientist and dont panic seeing that i dont have huge hands like they do.

i dont think any of coldplays stuff is hard at all. jonny is a great guitarist and everything but hes no guitar genius. if u look at all his music alot of it is just striking one note for a couple measures. thats why i think jimmy page is one of the greatest cause if u sit down and look at his stuffyou can tell he really put thought into his songs.I'm not saying that jonny doesnt but... Dont get me wrong i love coldplay and im a die-hard fan but i personally think that jonny's and chris's stuffs not difficult' date=' except for chords like 10,12,12,10,10,0 like they use in the scientist and dont panic seeing that i dont have huge hands like they do.[/quote']

very true, it just goes to show that if you have really complicated guitar parts that may not sound as good as easy guitar parts.

(but page has really hard guitar parts and they sound awesome so more power to him.)

There is no way in hell you can even compare the two. They play totally different styles. Jonny is not trying to play Zep style nor was page trying to be cold. Im in a band that has a record deal called Terminal. So basicly im not a weekend warrior. But i do admit i dont know everything. But I do know that jonny is a genius. Its not hard to make up a song that's drasticly complicated. Its ALOT harder to create a song thats simple as hell but still sounds good. Take gravity for example.. only like 5 or 6 chords.. but sounds great. Playing technically awsome is not hard at all IMO. All you have to do is practice and youll get there eventually just like Malmesteen. But IMO he sucks because you cant, no matter how much you practice, develop an ear for what sounds good or dosent work or what sounds really musical. The reason Page is a god is he had both. Jonny has extreme musical sense of what sounds good, but hes not lacking in technical ability either. This comparison is apples and oranges. Basicly what im saying is Technical Ablitiy = Not Hard , Musicianship = Your either born with it or you not.

• 1 year later...

are you guys kidding me? jonny buckland's guitar parts are simple at best, and he is NOT a good guitarist. i dont understand why he can't sit down, listen to these songs chris martin comes up with, and offer a decent accompaniment or lead. i want to think he's a decent musician, but does anyone have any any proof?

only superstition? please. i just watched these guys on the daily show and it really annoyed the hell out of me to watch him bob his head and move all around, and then play like 4 notes.

when i first heard violet hill i thought "hey jonny learned how to play the guitar a bit"... but there is absolutely nothing impressive on the new album.

*sigh*

chris needs a new band. end of story.

are you guys kidding me? jonny buckland's guitar parts are simple at best, and he is NOT a good guitarist. i dont understand why he can't sit down, listen to these songs chris martin comes up with, and offer a decent accompaniment or lead. i want to think he's a decent musician, but does anyone have any any proof?

only superstition? please. i just watched these guys on the daily show and it really annoyed the hell out of me to watch him bob his head and move all around, and then play like 4 notes.

when i first heard violet hill i thought "hey jonny learned how to play the guitar a bit"... but there is absolutely nothing impressive on the new album.

*sigh*

wow, this is gonna get some negative feedback. Prepare for "go to hell" and "leave the forum" and "youre stupid" from a lot of people. Some advice, dont bash anything Coldplay on a Coldplay forum, ur gonna get it now:\

My opinion: The hardest to play is either Shiver or Fix You (with singing). Fix You is EXTREMELY hard to sing while playing. As someone already said, the two parts are very different and it is very hard to sing and play without messing up.

But Shiver is flat out puzzling:confused:

Only Superstition is more like songs like White Shadows, Low, and Speed of Sound. Difficult at first, but once you figure it out and give a little practice they become easy.:cool:

yeah, i don't think you need to go bash Jonny Buckland around, he's my hero and if you wanna bash him, you better prove you can do better! I think what you have to realise with Jon is that he's not one a metal guitarist who wants to do 1-3 minute solos.

Btw, I still cant play shiver :laugh3: been trying for months the 6/8 timing really throws me off

Also the clocks riff from the Twisted Logic tour

Where can i find only superstitions?

*sigh*

Chris needs a new band? What the ***? You mean: You need new ears?

If you realy think that Jonny can't play.. sorry man.. but you don't know anything about music then.. You don't have 'the music ear' then.;)

only superstition? please.

hey, let me see you try to cover only superstition. That is one complicated arrangement.

And while you're at it, try brothers and sisters, bigger stronger, shiver, spies, high speed, the outro of clocks, life is for living (live), moses, no more keeping my feet on the ground, murder, ode to deodorant, such a rush, X&Y, square one...

Sure he's no virtuoso, but he can tremolo pick as well as anyone, and part of Jonny's appeal comes from his modest yet effective arrangements that flow with the song, and don't detour into some 18 minute solo. Also unlike some artists he hates power chords, and taking those out of the equation, he's invented some pretty damn good arrangements. I'm not trying to bash you, but if you checked out the accurate tabs for any of the aforementioned songs(especially only superstition, brothers and sisters, such a rush, shiver, high speed and X&Y) you'd be impressed.

In any case, he's brilliant live. hard or not I have yet to see him play any guitar part less than flawlessly on stage.

JONNY!!!!! :)

^ Yes, that riff is simple yet beautiful. :)

I love playing it with a slide and roomfulls of reverb.

Anyway, I say "Bigger Stronger" for the win!

"Only Superstition" is a close second though.

Sometimes simpler things are more musically appealing to the ear....

For example: On Brothers and Sisters [Trouble EP] version, Jonny has this simple riff at the beginning. But i couldn't get it out of my head for days.

Likewise, In My Place has one of those simple/catchy riffs too.

Well said Tnspieler1012, but hey I found a Jonny flub-up (a minor one though;))

At 1:57, lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHdVJZsXJRo

Everyone makes mistakes though, we're only human.