✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

what is the hardest jonny buckland guitar riff to play?

Of course Jonny's riffs are not overly complicated. That isn't coldplay's style. They focus on a more melodic sound then shredding a 5 minute solo. Personally that makes me yawn after a while.

All of Coldplay's music is captivating and well put together and intriguing. You ever wonder why Coldplay songs have alot of wierd tunning and odd chords? Chris once said their BEST music was made by striking a chord that didn't follow the norm.

Also Jonny employs several different styles. He uses his slides. He uses an ebow. He has great use of effects.

Another guitarist that doesn't play overly tricky parts is Chris Urbanowicz of Editors, but ya know what they are probably my two favorite guitarists because they make music that sounds melodic and catchy.

No Jonny isn't the worlds most technically skilled guitarist, but the band has managed to make the most popular sound in the world despite it.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said Tnspieler1012, but hey I found a Jonny flub-up (a minor one though;))

At 1:57, lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHdVJZsXJRo

Everyone makes mistakes though, we're only human.

LOL, I forgot about that one, he must've felt really stupid missing one simple note, he was either A. distracted by Chris, acting silly. B. distracted by some girl flashing him from the crowd. C. screwing it up on purpose to fuel his own twisted sense of humor D. was thinking Arby's.

I can only think of one guitarist that is able to create such great atmosphere with his guitar other than Jonny, and that is The Edge.

im gonna have to go with David Gilmour here actually. he was a genius in everything he did.

and to the poster who said chris needs a new band, im pretty sure he doesn't they are doing pretty well right now.

im gonna have to go with David Gilmour here actually. he was a genius in everything he did.

and to the poster who said chris needs a new band, im pretty sure he doesn't they are doing pretty well right now.

I forgot David Gilmour. Absolutely agree with you. He can work magic with a single note.

Jonny AROBTTH Live Solo!

I tabbed it long ago in another thread, but can't find it. :confused:

So here it is typed out again anyway.

(I tried my best by listening/watching the Live 2003 vid so sorry if it's odd at parts, # of strums, or anything)

I had problems getting the chorus to sound right.

I think Jonny may just be picking one string with lots of distortion so it sounds like a chord....?

BEGINNING - with Slide

e--------------------5------------------------5---------------------5----

B------------7\5---------------------7\5-------------------7\5----------

G----------------------------5/7------------------------------------------

D----5/7--------------------------------------------5/7------------------

A--------------------------------------------------------------------------

E--------------------------------------------------------------------------

AFTER 1st VERSE

e-------------------------------------------------------12\5------

B-------------------------------------------------------12\5------

G---12/14-----14\12------12/14------14\12-----12\5------

D------------------------------------------------------12\5-------

A------------------------------------------------------------------

E------------------------------------------------------------------

CHORUS (strum multiple times)

e-------------------------------------------------

B-------/10------/12-----\10----/12-----\3---

G--2---/10------/12-----\10----/12-----\3---

D-------/10-----/12-----\10----/12-----\3----

A-------------------------------------------------

E-------------------------------------------------

This is the part after the 1st Chorus =

(Distortion)

e----------------------------------12--------------------17------------17\15--15/17-----

B-----------------------------12-------------------15/-----------17--------------------17-

G----5---------9/12----/12-----------------------------------------------------------------

D---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Cont'd)

e----------17\15--15/17--------------------------

B-15/17---------------------17\15--------17-----

G--------------------------------------------------17/ slide slowly down to 12th fret

D-----------------------------------------------------

A-----------------------------------------------------

E-----------------------------------------------------

OUTRO (strum multiple times) NO SLIDE, JUST USE FINGERS

e---------------------------------------------

B--13---\5---/12---\5---------------------

G--14---\5---/12---\5--------Repeat----

D--------------------------------------------

A--------------------------------------------

E--------------------------------------------

ENDING

e--------------------------------------------------------------

B--5-5-5-5-5-5-5-/7-7-7-\5-5-5-5-5-5-5-/7-7-7-\5---

G--5-5-5-5-5-5-5-/7-7-7-\5-5-5-5-5-5-5-/7-7-7-\5---

D--5-5-5-5-5-5-5-/7-7-7-\5-5-5-5-5-5-5-/7-7-7-\5---

A---------------------------------------------------------------

E---------------------------------------------------------------

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Think about it this way

His Parts technically may not be hard, but try figuring out how to get the sound out of his effects that he uses, i have plenty of the he pedals, but just cant get the tone and create even close to the atmosphere he does, it's impressive how much attention he pays to the tones in the songs , only guitar player comparable is the EDGE

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Sure he's no virtuoso, but he can tremolo pick as well as anyone, and part of Jonny's appeal comes from his modest yet effective arrangements that flow with the song, and don't detour into some 18 minute solo. Also unlike some artists he hates power chords, and taking those out of the equation, he's invented some pretty damn good arrangements. I'm not trying to bash you, but if you checked out the accurate tabs for any of the aforementioned songs(especially only superstition, brothers and sisters, such a rush, shiver, high speed and X&Y) you'd be impressed.

In any case, he's brilliant live. hard or not I have yet to see him play any guitar part less than flawlessly on stage.

Agreed. One of the things I love about listening to Jonny is that his guitar parts just fit the songs so well. They don't have to be overly technical, or long or whatever. They sound great and he does it so well.

Yeah, a lot like Mr. Gilmour who is one of my guitaring idols.

oke this is a random question because i didn't know where else to put it :

As seen in the LIJ video, Jonny is left handed. Why does he play a right handed guitar ? or doesn't he ?

Jonny's most definitely right handed. When he signs autographs, he does it with his right hand.

If you notice, Guy (who is left handed) writes with his right hand in the video. And Will (who is right handed) writes with his left.

Maybe it's the way the video was shot, a mirror image is produced instead.

Only Chris looks as though he is writing with his correct hand :P

Jonny's most definitely right handed. When he signs autographs, he does it with his right hand.

If you notice, Guy (who is left handed) writes with his right hand in the video. And Will (who is right handed) writes with his left.

Maybe it's the way the video was shot, a mirror image is produced instead.

Only Chris looks as though he is writing with his correct hand :P

thanks for answering my question !