✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Raconteurs (AKA Jack white in a kilt)

fudge

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Raconteurs joke about 'drug fuelled' album sessions

Jack White's other band reveal some strange secrets

The White Stripes' frontman Jack White has claimed that session for his other band The Raconteurs' new album have been "drug fuelled".

The band are currently in a Nashville studio working on the follow-up to their 2006 debut 'Broken Boy Soldiers' , finding time during gaps on the current White Stripes world tour.

And, according to a MySpace message posted by the 'supergroup', the seesions have been fuelled by "acidophilus powder and flax seed smoke".

The message is written as a conversation between White and bandmate Brendan Benson, and reads in full:

Brendan: "Jack, why don't you want to tell people about the new album we've got cooking?"

Jack: "I'll tell them when the time is right."

Brendan: "What time is it right now?"

Jack: "Three o'clock."

Brendan: "But the clock on the wall says 2:10."

Jack: "OK, the time is right. The 'teurs have a lot of new songs in the works people, the writing and structure of them has dissipated and reinvigorated and many times over since we came home from our last shows."

Brendan: "We got into the studio as soon as we could, or as soon as LJ (bass player Jack Lawrence) would let us."

Jack: "Yeah, matter of fact little Jack won't let us do much without his blessing - and trying to get his blessing is like draining blood from a stone."

Brendan: "Is that why the recording sessions were 'drug fuelled', Jack?"

Jack: "I was just kidding when I said that Brendan, don't believe everything you read. Fact of business; don't even believe all the things I tell you when it's just you and me in the room. If little Jack's there though, then it's all true."

Brendan: "Well, if you consider acidophilus powder a drug, then yes the tank is full of fuel!"

Jack: "If I was to ever take a drug for pleasure, I would want that drug to be aspirin for all the headaches I get from second hand acidophilus powder and flax seed smoke."

Brendan: "What about the songs man? Are you with me?"

Jack: "Look B, I know that you and Patrick are starting a two-piece band on the side."

Brendan: "Who told you that?"

Jack: "LJ. did and we're both fine with that, but as a penalty legion and I have decided you'll be forfeiting any and all T-shirt profits for the period extending to, but not including, January 1st 2093."

Brendan: "Um........OK, it's worth it."

Jack: "But as we were saying, the new songs are coming together strong, I hate to even attempt to describe them..."

Brendan: "It would be like dancing about architecture."

Jack: "...or singing about girls."

• 6 months later...

Raconteurs release surprise album

The Raconteurs are to rush out their new album, Consolers of the Lonely, in just a week's time.

The LP will be released simultaneously on vinyl, CD and digitally across the world on 25 March.

In an attempt to stop the album being leaked, the band have also chosen not to send review copies to music journalists.

On their official website, the band, led by White Stripes frontman Jack White, explain they would "rather the release not be defined by its first week sales, pre-release promotion or by someone defining it for you before you get to hear it."

Criticism of iTunes

The Raconteurs are also the latest band to criticise sites like iTunes for selling individual album tracks.

The band say they "prefer fans buy the album as a whole rather than breaking up the tracks."

The statement reads: "Until iTunes and other digital services allow bands to release their albums with the option of not breaking it up, it will be sold in that fashion on those sites."

The Raconteurs are not the first band to express concerns over the future of the album format.

"We prefer fans buy the album as a whole rather than breaking up the tracks"

Speaking to Newsbeat, Elbow singer Guy Garvey agreed: "I think it should be up to the artist how their music is sold.

"We're an album band and we'd like to sell our album as one thing rather than breaking it up into small chunks.

"I suppose it's the difference between a collection of short stories or a novel with chapters."

In contrast, Muse recently suggested they may quit the album format in favour of releasing single tracks.

Last summer, Irish rockers Ash announced they were not going to release any more albums to focus on individual tracks.

On Sunday night at the pub I met this guy who told me that he moved Jack White from his home in Michigan down to Tennessee. And that Jack was a totally cool person and had tons of crazy things in his home. He signed some cds and t shirts for him. * jealous*

Of course we then discussed his music and how excited we both were to get the latest tunes. Just had to share that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Coldplay Praise Radiohead And Raconteurs Over Recent Album Releases

Martin200WENN.jpg

But say they're happy to be on EMI...

Coldplay frontman Chris Martin says he has “absolute respect” for the way Radiohead and The Raconteurs released their latest albums.

Over the past six months, both bands have chosen to challenge traditional release principals – Radiohead allowing fans to name a price for ‘In Rainbows’ and The Raconteurs dispatching ‘Consolers of the Lonely’ without a press lead time.

Martin said he had admiration for “people who can do what they like” but added that the band were still happy to be signed to major label, EMI.

"Being on a major label at the moment is like living in your grandparents' house," he told Reuters.

"Everyone knows they need to move out, and they will eventually, but we kind of like our grandmother.”

Martin acknowledged that the band were still part of an “antiquated model” but said that they "really love the people we work with.”

Coldplay’s new album ‘Viva La Vida’, which is out on June 12th, will be their first release since EMI was acquired by private equity company Terra Firma last August.

The band are seen as one of the label’s biggest assets after Radiohead and Sir Paul McCartney chose to leave the company.

http://www.gigwise.com/news/43135/coldplay-praise-radiohead-and-raconteurs-over-recent-album-releases

• 5 months later...

I love everything Jack White does. He's so talented. I wish the Raconteurs would play here. I missed the WS concert last year for a couple of reasons. I could watch Jack strum that instrument for hours. He's the reason why there's 5 stupid guitars sitting in my living room. He's so gifted and gorgeous on top of it. I could go on and on about Jack White forever but it might bore you to tears. He's my favorite musician and I love him. :kiss:

(Sorry Chris and Guy.)

anyone hear their song carolina drama? that IS and I stress that IS a lot better than any song the White Stripes have put out in the past. I never thought in a million years I would say that but carolina drama is that fuckin good.

I love that song. It's so beautiful. It's the best track on that whole album. IMO

Consolers of the Lonely is my fave album of year and has held that position since it came out. its unbelievable to think that it is jack whites 4th album in as many years. and all of them have been great. most artists struggle to make one decent album every decade. this legend of a man is churning them out every year!!