✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

How did you discover Coldplay?

Pseudonym

5 years ago walking through Marshall fields and there was an ipod dock being advertised... The Scientist was playing and as soon as I go home I typed "Nobody said it was easy" into limewire and then from that point on I loved all there stuff

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parachutes is excellent. Just yesterday i was listening to all the album through and on everything not lost my heart just jumped. Thats why i love Parachutes than any other album of Coldplay even though there all brilliant and even though Politik is my favourite track of ALL time, Parachutes is just my personal favourite.

About a year after they finished the AROBTTH tour, I was staying at my brother's house up near Byron Bay. I wasn't really into music, I was more into gaming and stuff (My cousin Jonny had got me hooked on Game Boy and I was a realy nerdy girl). He pulled me over one night whilst he was on the computer and I think he was showing me Coldplay's website. I remember him saying he was really into and it was like wow or something. I can remember thinking 'Whatever'.

About two years later (2006), I was on a plane to Malaysia with my mum and I must have liked music more because I went straight to the music section on the little computer on the chair (if you're an international traveler, you probably know what I'm talking about). I saw Coldplay's album X&Y and decided to have a look. Instantly, I fell in love with Sqaure One and I listened to it OVER and OVER. From there, my love just grew, Coldplay's music waas so brilliant and it was just amazing to me. I regret never butting up the courage to tell my brother of my new found obsession because if I did, he would have taken me along with him to the Coldplay concert in Melbourne a mere 5 months later...

About two years later (2006), I was on a plane to Malaysia with my mum and I must have liked music more because I went straight to the music section on the little computer on the chair (if you're an international traveler, you probably know what I'm talking about)...

ahem... im very proud :lol:

• 7 years later...

How did you discover Coldplay??

So I haven't really seen a thread like this aside from peoples' own introductions if they decided to include their story, and I thought peoples' stories would be interesting to hear.

So, like the title says, how did you discover Coldplay? Were you introduced to them by a friend? Did you just happen to hear a song? What was the first song/music video you remember hearing/seeing? Etc?

I'll share my story later....didn't want to make the first post be too long... :)

Thanks for making this thread ! I love hearing all these personal stories. Please post yours next :D

I grew up in a classical music household and thus was hardly exposed to contemporary music in the 00's. I knew a little bit about the bigger pop acts of this era, and I actually despised their music because it came across to me as very commercial, superficial un-artistic, and many of those acts actually were selling their music with nudity in music videos (watching music videos on TV was very popular at that time, much more than today) which i depsised too. Their melodies did not strike me as very original either. In sum, I hated modern music !

In 2011 I was working at a place where the radio was always turned on, so I was now subjected to listening to it again. And again, I disliked most of it. But there were certain songs I liked. I once heard a song with a great riff (Talk), but it didn't occur to me to try and find out what it was called or who it was by. During that time, among the stuff on heavy radio rotation was one song that stood out because it had a magnificant orchestal feel to it in the intro and the bridge. I found myself enjoying it when it came on. One time the radio host, after it has been played, said "Paradise, COLDPLAY !" and it was there that I heard this word for the first time in my life. Still, it didn't get me started on this band. What really did was another song. I often felt down in the mornings but when this song played on the radio I would turn up the volume very loud because it just had such a great melody. After several listens, I decided to find out what the song was called, but that wasn't easy ! I didn't understand the lyrics on the radio so I had to intently listen for a phrase that I could then search for online. Eventually I did and found out it is Viva La Vida by Coldplay. I began watching the music video (the original l one) on Youtube (I have to say that the singer in that video struck me as very odd, if not mad, and that I found the video awful in comparison to the great song. My opinion on this video never changed. :D)

Anyway, I browsed Youtube for more Coldplay songs to see if they have more great stuff. This way I discovered Speed of Sound, and I loved it a lot. I listened to a "best Coldplay songs" medley on Youtube, where Fix You and What If stood out to me as great songs. Some monthe later again, I can recall the scene very well, I was sitting in a library with my laptop having to work into the night (I even think it was an all-nighter) and I had to process some data for my thesis, which was a tedious work of several hours which required doing the same routine over and over again, i.e. a work that called for listening to music whilst doing it. For some reason, I chose to listen to all Coldplay albums in a row (I think MX was the first one, it was not the chronological order). A YT user named TurnOnTheMusic had uploaded all of them as a single file each and it's still where I have my single file-albums from (unfortunately, YT later deleted the files). So while I worked and dusk turned into night outside, i heard all these great melodies and I loved many of them right away. For others it took several listens to appreciate them. I recognized some songs I had loved earlier without knowing their names, like Talk. I especially loved X&Y and AROBTTH. They struck me as being very genuine and heartfelt music, and I liked the vocals too.

Gradually songs went onto my mobile phone playlist, then songs were followed by their entire albums and B-sides.

That's how I discovered Coldplay ! And I'm glad it did, for it also opened my eyes to the fact that there is still genuine, deep, heartfelt and artistic music in modern world !

• Like 1

Alright, first I'd like to say thanks to whoever/whatever merged my new thread with the old one of the same name....I guess its all in one place now :)

Here goes....it's gonna be long....

I had never really been someone who listened to music while growing up. "What is your favorite band?" was always the dreaded question because I didn't have one. However, there were three songs that I remember hearing at different times while growing up that I remembered liking, but I never looked into them any further than just hearing them one time on the tv or something.

I don't remember where i heard the first two of the three songs, but when I heard them again later on, I remembered them.

Back in the winter of 2011-2012, I would go to this indoor golf place (I know that sounds weird, but it exists) once a week to practice. The guy always had the radio on, and this is where the third song comes into play. I remember hoping each time I went that this one song that sounded so amazing would cone on the radio. I couldn't make out the words until i finally heard "Para Para Paradise." I would stop what I was doing just to listen to this song. I may have gone home one night and Googled it, but, if I did, it was just to see who performed it (a name i didn't commit to memory) and never listen to it again.

Fast forward to the summer of 2014. I still wasn't someone who listened to music, but that summer, I had a job with my city's Parks and Rec department. I was on a crew with 3 other kids, and the crew lead would always have the radio on in the truck. This got me interested in music, so, at the end of the summer, I found the app, Spotify, and downloaded it.

At this point I still didn't know what my musical interests were, so I was just playing a random playlist in Spotify and on came the song from the golf place!!! I immediately added it to my playlist. I found a playlist that was just Coldplay songs, and the first two it played were the two I remember hearing while growing up: Clocks and Viva la Vida.....so I guess you could say it is instinctive for me to like Coldplay ;)

I think I added about 4 Coldplay songs to my playlist (Paradise, VLV, Clocks, ASFOS), but i didn't think much more of this band until I was sitting in the library with my friend one day.

We were listening to music on her phone, and I suggested we scroll to a random song and play whatever her finger lands on. After twice landing on songs from the permanently downloaded U2 album, she landed on a song by that band I sort of liked: Coldplay. This song was called Talk, and it was what really hooked me on Coldplay....for reasons I probably don't have to explain.

That night, I went home and watched the music video and I thought it was really strange. "I better not let anyone know that i like this band because they seem really weird" is what I thought.

In the next few days, I kept playing Coldplay songs until I had about 25 new ones added to my playlist.

I didn't really add more for about another 6 months until it was close to my birthday. I was wanting to ask for a Coldplay album (CD) for my birthday, so I wanted to listen to all the songs from the album (MX) that contained my favorite song.

From there, I just kept on listening to all the Coldplay I could find, and the rest is history..... :)

Here it's mine.

I wasn't a fan of having my own CDs or mp3 files to listen to the music I enjoyed. Most of the songs I heard before were thanks to my parents who used to listen to 70's and 80's music. So, the first time I listen to Coldplay was when my father's nephew shared him a playlist of modern music which included Clocks, What If and Beautiful World (now I know the correct name is Don't Panic). My father instantly loved Clocks and so I did, but as I mentioned before I didn't pay a lot of attention to it. Even a teacher played it in class comparing the version of Buena Vista Social Club to the Coldplay's one and once again I loved it but I wasn't curious to look for it. I also remember hearing Viva la Vida and instantly loving it, but I didn't ask for the name of the song.

Later, in 2011, I had my own computer and I thought it was a great opportunity to start making my own playlist. First, I included songs my classmates listened to. Their taste in music is diverse but I won't mention them because some of the songs are in my guilty pleasure playlist. Then, I thought I should include songs I discovered by myself. That is when I decided to look at the 2012 Grammy nominees. I believed, if they're nominated it's because they are great. I don't remember all the singers I looked for, I just remember listening to Paradise for the first time. My first impression about the video was it's the weirdest video I ever seen but at the same time I loved it. The idea of including elephant costumes was different to what we see in mainstream singers plus the song was wonderful. Then I listened to Every Teardrop is a Waterfall. I loved it. The lyrics described my beliefs and inspired me to keep moving forward. In that moment I started listening to more of their songs and I loved all of them which was great because that didn't happen with other bands or singers. Before, I enjoyed listening to the most famous songs but when I listened to the rest of their records I skipped them. But it didn't happen with Coldplay. Each song led me to another amazing song.

Ps. Is it weird that Paradise led us to Coldplay?

After a single night of passionate love with a man named Chris, he left the next day and told me he had a band I should check out called Coldplay. I never saw him again, but when I listen to his voice it's as if every feeling I had that night comes alive again, like an eternal fire raging within my soul.

• Like 1

That's true....I normally hear Clocks, The Scientist, or Yellow.

And one thing I forgot to say in my story is that after I heard what I would later learn to be Viva la Vida, I would watch the show, Undercover Boss, and I remember thinking its theme music sounded awfully similar....

After a single night of passionate love with a man named Chris, he left the next day and told me he had a band I should check out called Coldplay. I never saw him again, but when I listen to his voice it's as if every feeling I had that night comes alive again, like an eternal fire raging within my soul.

LOL

giphy.gif

• Like 1

That's true....I normally hear Clocks, The Scientist, or Yellow.

Lucky you ! Here it's usually Paradise and ASFOS. I have nothing against Paradise, but ASFOS is getting way too much airplay...

By the way, I think it's quite normal to be led to bands through their big singles and then discover the rest of their song catalog. Viva La Vida was huge, but I missed that. Paradise was huge again and this time, it hit me :)