✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

How did you discover Coldplay?

Pseudonym

Lucky you ! Here it's usually Paradise and ASFOS. I have nothing against Paradise, but ASFOS is getting way too much airplay...

I guess it all depends what station you listen to. I have heard ASFOS albeit on a different station than the one I normally listen to

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread "reincarnated" into a new being now :) I've probably posted before...but sharing again with a bit new stuff.

Around 1999/2000, in my college years, I began to discover different types of music, mainly influenced by local music-love friends, listening to, such as U2, The Cranberries, Oasis, Jeff Buckley, Eagles, Bob Marley, etc. I really love it and for the first time, I feel music could be such powerful full of love and thoughts/inspirations...One day, I grabbed an album called Parachutes (in cassette form) back home, and listened to the whole, Yellow sort of standing out initially. At one summer night, sitting in the car of a local friend, I recommended Yellow and the album to her, just felt so beautiful - she was a bit surprised to make a "Wooo", along with the cool wind and a clear deep diamond blue sky, we thought we were in the universe, rather in a city of a country as who and who... Later on, it was spread out in the local musician circle, a few years later, Yellow was covered by a local musician whose version is called Meteor...

From that era, I began to know that music is what I love so much...but I didn't even think that I could watch their Live one day, and how it would help me through my hardest time more than once... When I became more spiritually waking up, I thought all such are in the plan of universe. I really appreciate it, and I hope Co. could keep flying, bringing love/light to all needed, and become more spiritual and have a fulfilled life. (P.S. listen to X&Y again after a long time, best wishes on inner Yin/Yang balance and peacefulness~)

I think I have written this somewhere because I save it on my notes lol

I listened to Dont Panic back in 2001, I was 8 years old, my sister used to mix songs in one single cassette and this song has always been my favorite since then! The song's got cut out at the end but I felt I was falling in love for the first time with the band. Funny thing at that time was I didnt even know who sang the song until 2005 -- I discovered Speed of Sound on MTV and my cousin showed the X&Y album to me and I began to realize that Coldplay has been really tuning in my head for a few years! Since then, my love for the band has grown...and till now even more! The band always gives fans surprises, new genres in every album, new looks, and even new concepts of concerts. All I can say this now that I am very thankful to know them as public figures, I always respect in what they do. Thank you, Coldplay!

• 2 weeks later...

I can't remember the first time I heard Coldplay. But the first time I remember hearing a Coldplay song was Viva La Vida, on the radio. It was funny 'cause my brother was obsessed with that song, and I didn't really like it :P

A couple of years later I got really into pop music, the songs I knew really well and loved were Clocks, Speed of Sound, Viva La Vida, and Paradise, because those were the only Coldplay songs on the radio (since then I've heard Magic once and A Sky Full of Stars a billion times, but that's all the airplay Coldplay gets here :P and I haven't heard Speed of Sound played for years)

Anyway, so my dad had this CD called "Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends," but he hadn't downloaded LIT or DAAHF onto iTunes. So I knew those Viva songs, the above mentioned pop songs, and we also had Yellow, The Scientist and See You Soon in our iTunes library, which I listened to, but didn't like them a lot until later.

I was at a dance a couple of years ago and my friend requested this song called Life in Technicolor ii. I really liked it, so I looked it up when I got home, and I was suprised to find it by Coldplay. That was my favorite song for a super long time. I pulled out the VLV CD and listened to it like every day, and I learned to love those songs a ton. That's my favorite album still today, and I especially loved it because of LIT. :viva:

Also around this time, Coldplay was releasing Atlas. So I kept waiting for the release, and idk why, but I expected it to be really popular after it was released. Of course it wasn't at all, but that song really got me obsessed with Coldplay. I don't even like pop music anymore, and I probably like the old Coldplay better than the new by now. But I love anything by Coldplay! I have every CD and song now, and it doesn't matter what they release, I'm gonna love it.

So basically, I've known Coldplay for as long as I can remember, but what really got me into them was Atlas, LIT ii, and Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends.

• 2 weeks later...

I had heard Clocks on the radio a few times, and decided I wanted to see this band live. When I looked for tickets locally, they were sold out so I bought 2 on eBay. I saw them on August 20, 2005 at Verizon Wireless Amphitheater in Irvine, CA. And I was hooked. Beyond hooked. Crazy obsessed hooked. LOL Since then, I've been so so lucky to have seen them at just about every type of show possible - festival, amphitheater, stadium, arena, tiny intimate radio station live stream, tv show tapings, small club show, charity benefit, the Ghosts Stories dvd recorded shows. I've met them at organized events and unorganized. I've traveled the US coast to coast to see their shows. They are still my favorite band, and I'm really hoping AHFOD lives up to my expectations of these guys.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking for good music and bands to listen to, so my friend suggested I listen to this band she liked, Coldplay. At that time I've heard of Coldplay several times before and have been meaning to check them out. The first song I listened to from them was the Scientist and I instantly liked the band. The second was Paradise and I fell in love with Coldplay. However, what really, really got me hooked and made Coldplay my favourite band of all time was when I listened to Viva La Vida and In My Place. After that, I continued to listen to more and more songs and I fell even more and more in love with this amazing band, this band that put so much passion into their music, this band that put so much effort into their songs, this band that played with so much love and enthusiasm, this band that put their heart and soul into each and every one of their songs.

That friend that suggested I check out Coldplay is no longer a friend of mine. And while this should make Coldplay a bitter memory for me, I still love the band with every inch of my being. My story isn't a unique one--it's probably similar to several others out there. But it is the story of how I came across the band most important to me right now and it will forever be a life-changing experience for me.

I was playing Frets on Fire(FoF) game which you can pick up your keyboard and play electro-guitar and get points, I had a favourite song I love playing. I played that song almost everyday and didn't even consider listening it on Youtube I must say. I don't know but 1 day I looked at the songs name and it was "Coldplay - Shiver". I was like "WOW! I didn't even knew the songs name until I decided to look for it!". And from that moment my journey began. Now I have all of the albums and remixes, including B-Sides and Unreleased songs :)

I discovered them when VLV (the song) became popular on the radio. Apple used the song in one of their iTunes commercials back then (to which Martin would thank them much later for in the Steve Jobs memorial in October 2011). It took the course of a few years to really listen to every song they ever released (and subsequently download almost all of them). Becoming a Coldplay fan was a slow process for me when it really shouldn't have been. Life just kept happening and I loved the band but only had a few songs I had heard from them. I would hear a new song (or rather a song from them that was new to my ears) and fall in love with them all over again. My listening to them and discovery of the band's songs exploded at the same time I came out and went through a lot of emotions in a period of a few months. That period of time in my life was an emotional and spiritual renaissance. They helped me in a period of time in my life where I was just starting to accept a key facet of my being as well as discovering more of who I was. I may have discovered them in 8th grade when my teacher would play the song Viva La Vida every morning before class, but I discovered the connection they would have in my life a few years later when more and more songs spoke to me on a personal level as I went through the most important transformation and renaissance in my life. I discovered Coldplay, and then Coldplay helped me discover myself. For that, I will always love the band.

I had heard Clocks in early 2003, and one morning while getting ready & watching music videos on MTV, they played the video. I was super curious about the band because I played piano but hadn't really heard of any 'popular' artists with piano players. That Easter, I got AROBTH, and haven't stopped playing it since. I quickly taught myself Clocks on the piano, and began learning all the songs on either piano or violin. Coldplay has been a constant obsession in my life since then.

• Like 1

I heard clocks on the radio a lot and I thought it was a good song but I never really looked into sang it or anything (I was pretty young, about 10). A while later, I heard speed of sound on the radio. I instantly bought x&y and I've been a superfan ever since!

• 2 weeks later...

I heard VLV in a Skins (the serie) commercial in Spain and I just loved it. Then I started hearing the rest of their songs and I realised that I knew some of their songs from before, songs like Clocks or Fix you... Since then, I haven't stop listening to them, and the (little) english I know is because of them.

Hearing Yellow on the radio and wondering who the heck was this guy(Chris) walking on a beach in the music video for Yellow. I actually thought he was a solo artist!

I didn't really get into them until AROBTTH. I had just graduated high school and was going through a break up with my high school girlfriend and The Scientist was released around that time and just spoke to me and the rest is history! I always heard their music on the radio and never put them together til I got really involved in discovering Coldplay thoroughly. When I was discovering their music catalog I would say,"Oh, that songs by them too?!? Cool!"

I have a story about hearing The Scientist that I think is pretty cool. My father coached baseball for the high school I went too. To raise money for the team, we would get some parents and some of the players to work the concession stands at the Shoreline Amphitheater during concerts. The very first concert we did was Coldplay. This was on their AROBTTH tour, 2003 I believe. I remember hearing a lot of British accents and thinking how cool British accents sounded. Anyways, when we were done, the concert was still going. No matter where you are you can hear the music pretty well. As we were walking out they were playing The Scientist. I didn't know it was The Scientist at the time, but all I heard was the piano and Chris' muffled voice. I thought to myself, thats a nice sounding song, Im certain ill hear it again! And sure enough, they released the music video and I instantly knew it was the song I heard walking out. The Scientist is my favorite Coldplay song and it really related to me at that moment in my life. The music video was pretty cool too I thought! And then that is when I started really discovering Coldplay!

I heard Clocks on the radio when it first came out, and that really got my attention. To this day, it's still my favorite Coldplay song. Then I remember getting Live 2003 and I was sold. But it was Viva La Vida that really, really took my fandom to new heights. If there was one album that I couldn't stop listening to, it was that one.

I remember listening to Viva La Vida (song) when it was first played on the radio in 2008. And I'll be honest it wasn't love at first sight xD I hated the band at first. But then I listened to Yellow, Clocks and Speed of Sound in beginning of 2009 and instantly loved those songs. Saw the Strawberry Swing music video next and was hooked :D Spent the greater part of 2010 listening to and immersing my self in AROBTTH. By time MX was out I was caught up with their back catalogue and was made a lifelong fan. Still love X&Y the most though :)

Great thread.

My internet friend from other city (and country) send me "Don't Panic" and "Scientist", I thought it was ok, a little bit dark, but still. Then it grows a bit. After that I visited this friend (and others) and he talked a lot about Coldplay and show me the Live 2003. The whole trip was quite emotional, it was New Year 2005. When my vacation was over I downloaded Live 2003, Parachutes, AROBTTH, then Talk leaked (I still prefere leaked version), and by the time I bought X&Y became a lifetime fan. Then was VLV and concert in Berlin I attended with this friend. MX was frustrating with release mess (first gigs then studio versions of tracks, and I still dislike Every Tear), but eventually it grows. When Ghost Stories was released I realised the band could do whatever they want. They can't mimic Parachutes/AROBTTH like many other bands which has only one great album and everything else are attempts to simulate earlier success. They evolve. And I'm ok with it now. Perhaps I've grown a bit.

The good news we are going with my old pal who hooked me to the band to the gig next year :smug:

well, my dad is really into music, and he lend AROBTTH to the kid next door. when he returned it, i wanted to impress my dad and downloaded some coldplay songs. so i started listening to it on my old school mp3 player, and actually really liked it. I was like 11 or 12 years old at the time, and was going through a difficult time in life. I kinda found some comfort in their music, and the rest is history! 10 years & 6 live concerts later, still a big fan

Guest kmm1482

Before 2000, I wasn't that into popular music, all I listened to was soundtracks. Seriously! All soundtracks. I had no favorite band or genre of music. The first song that ever made me want to buy an album was 'Yellow', I heard it all the time and it just clicked for me. At the time, it was on MTV's "Handpicked" compilation album, but I didn't want all the other songs and I was too leery of buying an entire album of music I'd never heard, but I bought 'Parachutes' anyway. My first listen to it was around midnight as I lay back in the driver's seat of my car with the engine off as I waited for my then girlfriend to get home. It was the perfect first experience; I was young 18, young and impressionable and discovering what lover really was. It was a perfect late Summer night and very still and quiet outside. No other album has given me that same feeling (MAYBE Radiohead's OK Computer) since.