✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

How did you discover Coldplay?

Pseudonym

I was at the school talent show in 8th grade, my best friend's band played All Along the Watchtower, Layla, and YELLOW!! I immediately loved the song, and my best friend sang it perfectly. I then spent all summer listening to their songs online, and finally got Parachutes for Christmas 2 years ago. How about you?

• Like 1

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Bit of a long stroy, isn't it?

I may have literally been one of the first people in North Amaerica to hear Parachutes. I can't really explain that, but a friend of a friend...;)

I ell in love with Don't Panic from the opening notes and never looked back. For 5 years, the album never left my CD rotation. Oddly enough, I was never smittin with Yellow. It was ok, but it wouldn't have sold me on them.

• Like 2

Heard Clocks on the radio and was smitten. But didn't figure out I loved the other songs and the band until 2007. :stunned: I was in the middle of a Metallica obsession earlier. Damn, I wish I wasn't so slow on this one. Because Coldplay did a few shows at my university while I was attending, so I could've seen them up close I'm sure. Blasted luck!!!!! I realized my obsession too late. I think a lot of it had to do with me not listening to the radio much because they play too much crap. But I am hopeful for concerts this year.

• Like 1

ooh, well this is a LONG story...

but in short, my mom had AROBTTH and listened to it constantly for about 3 months but i was too obsessed with the beatles to care about anything else. i did respect their music, though, and "clocks" and "IMP" were EVERYWHERE in america that year, so i pretty much knew who they were. eventually "clocks" made it onto my ipod, but i only listened to it occasionally.

then in 2005, one of my friends was bouncing off the walls because coldplay had a new single. i never got around to listening to it on her ipod, but one day i was watching VH1 megahits and the words "coldplay, speed of sound, X&Y" came up on the corner of the screen and i sat down to give them a try. by the end of that 3-minute music video, i was in love forever. i saw them live in august, and the day after on a 10 hour drive up to maine, i listened to their entire repitoire non-stop :D

• Like 1

may be listening to MTV all the time i used to listen and watch some of their songs always from the beginning like from 2001.

But they never have given any concerts then in india and but i loved all the songs.

And really my interest has become really more after watching again all the promos and singles from X&Y on internet and on Channel V so

also listening to radio.

that's all i am into COLDPLAY.

I heard speed of sound and my brother was like this album was great after listening to it in HMv. He said there was songs Better than SOS and it was wicked, the only one he remembered was White Shadows, and my freind got a copy of his mate of xand y and i was so flippin excited, i dont know why because i never heared Coldplay but i thought they was the best band in the whole wide universe.Just a gut feeling. Honestly i didnt listen to Coldplay but i knew they were amazing and i was ust obsessed. I tried to get so much info on them. I was absolutely mad, my other freind actually liked Coldplay((i have to admit i was into rap and hip-hop, i know i know but it was everywhere i couldnt like anything elses, freinds School etc) and gave me their other two albums, and i bought all the originals of the album. Ah man i LOVE Coldplay!

• Like 1

i was like.. 14 years old.. and a friend of mine told me

"Ohh I love this song.. what does it mean?"

"Arreglarte" (Fix You) I told her..

"It's very cute you should listen to it.."

"Ok ..I'll do it"

I started with Fix you.,.

then Speed of Sound..

the with X&Y..

and..

here I am.. 3 years later..

still a fan..

a very big fan!

thanks to my friend.. :)

what a coincidence!

OMG, I was thinking to make a thread about this title!:shocked2:

Really what a coincidence!:rolleyes:

anyway, I remember - I was sitting at home that day watching TV and than they came up with their song (In My Place) and that was my first time to see them on TV and directly I loved the song and than I did some research about the band and listened to some of their songs and by the end of the same week I went to the music shop and bought their two albums in that time the Parachutes and A Rush Of Blood To The Head!

and after that I became one of their bigest fans in this world....:lol:

and that was my story with Coldplay....:smiley:

clocks, all thanks to clocks, I listened to clocks a lot, but then I started listening to others songs, when I got a mp3 I put clocks on it and then the clocks fever came back, but stronger, and then I was looking vh1 and sos came up so I said nice song and then I looked for others songs like yellow and I loved the "look how they shine for you" part and then the scientist, and all went from there..... this was like 1 year ago, clocks like from 2004, but for sure I'll be the first chihuahuense that shall acquire the foruth album, no matter if it sucks

a coldplay concert was being played live on a vancouver radio station. this was in 2002-AROBTTH concert. and i listen because my four favourite songs of the time were clocks, yellow, the scientist, in my place. and i listened to them on repeat for months. and then on the live concert, they played "life is for living" and the man said it was an "unrealeased track" so then im like..hmmm and i downloaded every song i could from them off limewire. and i had a list of like album songs and b-sides for the past two albums and at first im like...these songs arent all that great and i cast them aside. but then, "for you" was stuck in my head and i realized that i liked that song and then i was forced to download and listen to all the CP songs i could get my hands on. then started my long task of tracking down every song they have. =)

Years ago I was in the riding car with my older brother. He had this big C.D case he kept in the car, and he would occasionally introduce me the shins, radiohead, nirvana etc. one time he played me parachutes...I didn't pay very close attention to it, I only remember liking the first song (don't panic) and another song out of a mix (how you see the world no.1).

A few years later, while my taste in music was developing, I noticed this new popular song called "speed of sound", I liked it so I downloaded it and burned it onto a mix of mine. Months later I noticed X&Y in my brother's C.D. case. Nick let me borrow it while I went off to camp and I fell in love with the album while I was there.

When I got back my brother advised I pick up parachutes, which I did, and, lo and behold, I loved it even more. Five months later I bought my brother AROBTTH for christmas (his had broken) and I put the tracks on my mp3 player right before leaving for a curling tournament up north in a van with my friends. I listened to it all the way up to minnesota, and every moment of it was unbelievably sensational.

When I was about ten I heard Yellow on the radio and saw the video for it. At that point it didn't really strike me as much anything worth keeping in mind. ( I was a dumb ten year old, come on!) After In My place, the Scientist, and Clocks came out, I had just been bombarded with songs that were far different from my typical tastes (at the time it was hip-hop), but really struck me as wonderful music. I was planning on buying Rush, but never did ( constant procrastination). However, once X & Y came out, and after hearing a Coldplay song on the radio for the first time in maybe two years, I remembered that I had wanted to buy Rush years back. Finally, I bought it for my sister for Christmas, listened to it very soon, and was blown away: it was the best album I had heard up to that point. Once my sister listened to it she also loved it, and she, maybe two-three months later, purchased Parachutes. That was a bit of a disappointing album, because hearing Rush beforehand really raised my standards. Then for my birthday a couple years ago my sister bought X & Y for me.

I suppose that's it.

I wouldn't say that parachutes is a lesser album than AROBTTH per se. it's just stylistically different. Coming from a hip hop background AROBTTH would naturally have more appeal than their first album because it's more emboldened, vibrant and upfront...with signature riffs like in my place, clocks and daylight. Songs from the parachutes era consisted mostly of an acoustic guitar base modestly complemented by subtle, reverb heavy electric melodies. In AROBTTH, the electric guitar takes a stronger role as do the drums, in leading the song a little bit more. It's a louder album, while parachutes has a more indie-rock, acoustic, mellow taste to it. I think they're both brilliant in their own right.