✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The 'Violet Hill' Recordings Thread - Who's doing the honours?

RunForTheHills

I'll probably attach a poll to this one too, if I think of something useful. And I realise that this might be in the wrong section, but if a mod wants to move it to the multimedia section once links start appearing, thats fine by me.

Basically, I wanted to make this thread ask fellow coldplayers, who will attempting to record Violet Hill on Tuesday? Because if anyone is going to spread the song around after its premiere, its probably going to be us.

I was planning to record it myself, until I realised I had left the necessary equipment at Uni, which always helps immensely. The only way I would now be able to record it, is through software which adds 2 seconds of a loud and annoying noise once every 60 seconds to the recording. Better than nothing? Sure. Annoying as hell? You bet. Although, I'll still be recording it this way anyway, in case its the best method we have.

So if you don't mind me asking, will anyone be able to record the song / show without these restrictions that I'm experiencing? And if so, can you suggest any free software for us, to allow us record it without any annoying handicaps? I think that the more people that can have a shot at recording, the more likely it'll be to have a decent recording done by 12:30pm!

We can make this work if we pull together! :wink:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah no wires required. Just one thing, would you be recording from a desktop computer or a laptop? Because the "What U Hear" option for recording on Audacity doesn't seem to be available on laptops for some reason - not mine anyway, apparently something to do with the way laptops are wired and the soundcards they use? (i'm not really sure!) If you're using a desktop it should be no problem.

Yeah no wires required. Just one thing, would you be recording from a desktop computer or a laptop? Because the "What U Hear" option for recording on Audacity doesn't seem to be available on laptops for some reason - not mine anyway, apparently something to do with the way laptops are wired and the soundcards they use? (i'm not really sure!) If you're using a desktop it should be no problem.

It WORKS! :dance:

I had to tweak the recording settings a little, but it works like a charm. Thank you so much! :nice:

I am on a laptop, but I have an external soundcard connected via USB, which makes it possible to record 'WAVE/MIDI'. So I recommend this to everyone who wants to record it! I havn't tried it, but apparently the "What U Hear" option is the best for those on desktops!

Thanks again :smiley:

It works?! Excellent lol, I've tried for ages to get that to work on my laptop but no luck so far. I even have an external soundcard for it too - I must be doing something wrong? Must try again... Anyway, glad that's working for you. It's great for ripping radio shows, and with BBC's listen again for 7 days it's handy if you hear something and you want to listen again and record it etc. Hope you get a decent recording of Violet Hill :)

My guess is that when it will first be aired, it will be available for download, album quality, in every site like itunes and maybe even on coldplay.com

well, this is what happened with speed of sound, I remember, I didn't have to liste to a radio rip.

Thanks for clearing up the laptop issue.. I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work in some cases but looks like im not the only one. I will be recording the song I just need some more clarification on a time scale and radio station... XFM or BBC??

Dunno if it helps anyone but for windows users (not me sorry!) theres a free program called 'mp3mymp3' which records anything playing on your computer (it does it from the sound card), and you can save it as an mp3 file. Found it a bit slicker than audacity.

Dunno if it helps anyone but for windows users (not me sorry!) theres a free program called 'mp3mymp3' which records anything playing on your computer (it does it from the sound card), and you can save it as an mp3 file. Found it a bit slicker than audacity.

Thanks for the info, I will also give it a try

Can anyone confirm a station or time frame? Its a giant cluster F of info in the thread on this.

--------

in fairness right, you can listen back to all the shows from BBC radio 1 for the last week on the website.

so it would be SO easy to go back and record it, when we know what time it was on.

through pod casts? or the actual whole show on the real player?