✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

16-Nov-08: Oklahoma City - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos [prev 10 Jul]

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Review of Coldplay Concert

From http://the-cuff.com/?p=233

I attended the Coldplay concert last evening in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma and enjoyed the concert for many reasons but also noticed some areas of improvement for future Coldplay performances.

The Strengths

The drummer, Will Champion, may have stolen the show. His drumming pounded to the orchestated light show mixing with the bass riffs of Guy Berryman. Also, he moved to the center of the stage at one point in the show and graced the audience with a deconstructed performance of drums by using one large snare drum and an iron bell. Another time on a different part of the stage, he played a small electric drum kit. Overall, he created a unique sound of drumming that heightened the energy of the crowd. Finally, Champion played guitar on two songs and sang one of them–a country or maybe a folk song–while Chris Martin played the harmonica.

Jon Buckland’s guitar work has improved since his last performance in Oklahoma City, during the X&Y concert. He played more melodic notes over Martin’s lyrics and screeched the guitar in many different forms to songs that normally are clean and tight. Once again, Coldplay is at a stage in their career when they are no longer just pop stars; they played to their own desires at times, and Buckland imitated on the guitar the traditional Martin piano riffs while Martin ran across the stages in various directions as he bounced his body in seizure-like delerium.

They surprised the audience in different formats. They, of course, opened traditionally, but they played their quick hit, “Violet Hill,” first and moved on through the show in a rapid pace. Martin played the acoustic guitar more than I have seen in the past, and his movement from acoustic to piano was not clumsy as it has been in the past. At one point during the show, the lights were completely out, and all of a sudden, the band appears in a very small area literally cluttered together and performing with their instruments. After a few songs in this projected portion of the stage, Martin plays a bit on the piano, talks briefly, and sings a song with just his voice and the piano. He plays a bit on the piano again, stops, and then the band in their original place on the stage blasts into one of their hits. Everything was perfectly choreographed, as the crowd heightened with joy. Finally, their last format was to leave the stage altogether and walk through the audience…together. Typically, the lead singer leaves the stage alone, but here we see how much Coldplay has formed into a full unit beyond the voice and piano of Chris Martin. As they leave the stage, they arrive in another surprise location above the floor and on the 1st row of the Ford Center. Martin yells, “You on the front row can just go do your homework or get some pizza or something!” The crowd roared with excitement. Here, they played different instruments again: the mandolin, the acoustic guitar, the harmonica, and the bass.

The Weaknesses

Chris Martin, lead singer, may very well be the weakness of this concert. If you listen to the music with headphones, there is an intimacy between Chris Martin’s voice, the music, and the listener. At times, that intimacy is lost during this concert. When Bono of U2 performs, he captures that intimacy successfully, but Martin at times seems to be removed from the song’s thematic emotion and just sings the lyrics. He seemed more into jumping around the stage at times when he perhaps should not be jumping at all and heeding Bono’s advice and just lifting up his arms, singing a high note, and hearing the falsetto of his voice be another instrument to the audience. He does not have to show that emotional intensity on all songs, but even when he is alone playing the piano, his voice is there, but his connection to the harmonious rising of his soul is not.

Chris Martin, at times, does not finish his song. Or, he ends anti-climatically, even while the band rises to the occasion. I have seen him do this on television before as well. Instead of moving toward the last lyric, he pulls away too quickly and says, “Thank you,” or some other phrase to let the audience know the song is over. He has lost or forgot some of his ability to perform the song beyond performing the dance on the stage. However, I do like it when he sings the song a bit differently than the versions on the CDS. The audience cannot sing along at times, because his tempo is quicker or slower than what the song originally intended or what the band was originally performing. Yes, if the band was playing in 4/4 time, they sometimes had to listen to Martin’s movements and correct some of his meanderings with tempo. I didn’t see that so much as a weakness, however. It is a sign of the lead singer re-interpreting the music.

The encore was terrible. When they arrived on the stage again, they ended with “Yellow.” Yes, it is their hit, and they seemed a bit reluctant to play it. After playing it, they left quickly again never to return to the stage for another song. I expected more from the encore, and I even told the gentleman next to me that I hope they don’t even play that song. They could have dropped it earlier into the performance if they were forced to play it and then moved on to some of the more creative elements of their evolutionary band. For example, they mentioned the Flaming Lips. Why not end with a Flaming Lips song as a tribute to Oklahoma City. The crowd may have gone crazy! And then, they could have completed their encore performance with one other somber piece perhaps, such as “Til Kingdom Come” from their X&Y album, which they did not play.

---

Overall, I enjoyed the concert. I realize Chris Martin is a bit Attention Deficit Disorder on the stage. I also realize that he was definitely playing down his song performances to heighten the focus on the great music from Coldplay. They are a band that is growing musically, and to even hear them playing a mandolin in a live arena shows their movements into other genres of music and ideas. Godspeed Coldplay and come back to Oklahoma City again with your next grandiose performances!

Wow, okcthunder, what a boyfriend you are!!

I'm trying to piece together the setlist, any idea when they played that Flaming Lips bit?

:)

My best guess is that it was around

the The Hardest Part

Postcards From Far Away (piano instrumental) section.

Chris was at the piano when he sang it.

It was after the techno bit at the side of the stage, and before

the Politik encore.

I'd love to see a video of thit! They pulled it off

very well. I think it sounded great! I hope a video

or audio surfaces of the song.

oowwwww WOWWW such amazing things happnened again last night! I can hardly believe it!!!

Go Karen and daughters!! you deserve it!

oh and pete thanks for the updates!! :)

Goodness, gracious! There are a lot of nice bfs on this board. :wideeyed:

where can I apply ? :P

I've read many pages of this thread looking for the complete story here, but haven't found it. Please forgive me, but can someone give me a brief explanation of who Karen is a why/how chris dedicated a song to her? It caught my eye on the front banner page. What a cool thing for her!!! Just trying to figure out the backstory. Anyone? Mel? Thanks.

ccsg you are not alone!

I also am wondering Karen's connection to Coldplay...and is she the mother of Kels?

Aha I feel like I have tuned into a television program midseason and have no idea who the characters are haha..

Whatever the case, I am totally envious in the best possible way of Karen! How on earth did she get that to happen?

Last night was my first Coldplay show ever. I have to say it was the best night of my life.

I have seen U2 and Paul McCartney, and this show trumped them both.

It as...incredible. honestly words do not describe it.

Also thanks to the girls who dubbed me Violet Hill for making me feel a welcomed part of the Coldplay fandom.

I hope I get the chance to see them again in the future.

My ticket was a gift from a friend, and I am sending her a Butterfly. :)

Viva La Vida like from OKC! 3:20 onwards you can see them best - a girl with a red sign (xxkels) and who's that in front going crazy and trying to slide herself on to the Ramp of Love to take piccies for her friends at coldplaying? Why, it's Karen!!

[ame=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4rUuj4DRuMA]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4rUuj4DRuMA[/ame]

(thanks a lot Kels for sending me the link :kiss:)

Viva La Vida like from OKC! 3:20 onwards you can see them best - a girl with a red sign (xxkels) and who's that in front going crazy and trying to slide herself on to the Ramp of Love to take piccies for her friends at coldplaying? Why, it's Karen!!

[media]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4rUuj4DRuMA[/media]

(thanks a lot Kels for sending me the link :kiss:)

OMG! Karen was totally leaning on the ramp!! That is great, Pete!

Can't wait to see the pics she got!:D

I've read many pages of this thread looking for the complete story here, but haven't found it. Please forgive me, but can someone give me a brief explanation of who Karen is a why/how chris dedicated a song to her? It caught my eye on the front banner page. What a cool thing for her!!! Just trying to figure out the backstory. Anyone? Mel? Thanks.

ccsg you are not alone!

I also am wondering Karen's connection to Coldplay...and is she the mother of Kels?

Aha I feel like I have tuned into a television program midseason and have no idea who the characters are haha..

Whatever the case, I am totally envious in the best possible way of Karen! How on earth did she get that to happen?

Sorry guys hehe, I know it's confusing if you don't know what's being talked about! Karen is a huge Coldplay and Chrissy fan and member here ,who hasn't been too well recently, and so me and her daughter Kels arranged a little surprise for her with the absolutely incredible, mindblowing kindness of Debs and the band themselves :sunny:

Love Unknown.

Hello, my fellow Coldplayers!:D

I at last am braving the utmost perviness to return briefly to the forum, if only to say a heartfelt thank you!....

Words cannot ever express what I feel for those here that have shown concern for me, for my family, I am truly overwhelmed with the love from friends and strangers alike found through this board:) I have missed you all !! (well/"Montreal; forgive me, but, for one who speaks 4 languages, isnt"who gives a shit?" a bit limited and a waste of talent?"):dozey::rolleyes:---(but Happy upcoming Birthday to you anyway, Darling:sneaky:

All I feel able to say at this point, (please forgive) is that last night was indeed

the most MAGICAL night I can remember, thanks to my loving friends Kimchi:kiss: Debs:kiss:Kels:kiss: :kiss::cool:Mel and of course my beloved Chrissy and the boys:kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss:

I hope to write up the expected and "member required" review as soon as I am able, if you all will be so kind as to allow me a few days time to come back to Earth, as it is Heaven I am dwelling in at the moment:smug:

God Bless you all. for butterflies, love and the everpresent entertainment you each bring to Ians wonderful world of Coldplay.....

"I`ll be back!":cool:

:kiss: Karen, aka"EnglishSilk":kiss::flutterby::flutterby::flutterby:

[Coldplay Oxfam Blog] Here’s one I prepared earlier, from ‘OK’ City

Here’s one I prepared earlier, from ‘OK’ City.

Good old fashioned pen and paper. How refreshing it can be. I’m scribbling away in the dark, next to stage right ‘guitar world’. Writing on the back of a Coldplay setlist, and leaning on an Oxfam ’Health and Education FOR ALL’ campaign booklet, on top of a road case..

I just saw Chris Martin run out to the front of the Coldplay stage, to bounce with the packed audience to ‘Viva La Vida’. There was a deafening roar when those strings kicked in. Now, if I look to my left, up the steps, there is Jonny, Will and Guy, starting up the thundering beat of ‘Lost!’. Two of the roadies just walked past me, carrying a small flight of stairs.. I guess the band will be leaving the stage soon, for an arena tour, here in Oklahoma City. Now the screaming begins, as they make their way through a mixture of bemused and excited fans. Here come those roadies again, with that flight of stairs.

The wonders of pen and paper, go way beyond my blog. Earlier, hundreds more Coldplay fans, penned their names, and gave their voices, to finding out what they can do to help fight poverty, with Oxfam. It’s a simple format. Marks of ink. But it’s a start. A way to get involved. To do what you can, at a concert - as part of this amazing night. Well over 50′000 people have done just that, on this tour so far. There were also a few hundred in Rotterdam, who typed their names to join Oxfam Novib’s ‘Hug-a-nurse’ campaign, on high-tech computers.

Jonny’s guitar tech, just wandered past me, with his ‘Politik’ guitar. It’s a quiet part of the set for him. He’s now disappeared back into the dark underworld of guitars beneath the stage. The band just rushed past me through the corridor, flanked by security, on their way back to the OK City stage. This road case i’m perched on, is shaking with the vibrations of the ‘Viva’ remix beat. I’d better get off it, before ‘Politik’ starts!

The local crew, are already congregating backstage, ready to transform the venue and remove all these cases. They are all signing in, one-by-one, with pen and paper, of course. There’s that ‘Politik’ drum beat.. I’m off back upstairs to the Oxfam booth, to check we have enough pens..

Two other pen and paper incidents I should mention. Someone made an amazing cheque donation to Oxfam tonight.. and Karen gave me a hand-written note on the corner of her Coldplay banner, to give to the band, to thank them for playing ’The Hardest Part’ for her.

After the show, I celebrated the night, by exploring OK City with ’Team Jenn’ from the Oxfam group. They did a great job organising the volunteers tonight. So it’s only right to celebrate. So there you have it. The only problem with blogging on a piece of paper first, is that it causes a delay. But if you’re happy to wait.. then that’s ‘OK’.

http://www.oxfamblogs.org/coldplay/?p=107

Oh my goodness! What a wonderful night for Karen! I've only been here for a short time and don't know the history and the ties of the posters. I'm all teary here at work reading what was done for Karen! What a totally AWESOME group this is!!

Oh and the vid of her almost laying on the stage to get pics was great! :D