✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

16-Nov-08: Oklahoma City - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos [prev 10 Jul]

GOD i'm gone for 2 days and i miss one of the bestest stories EVER!!

ok im not gonna lie, hadnt heard much of Karens/Kels story before this thread, i'd only seen their names being mentioned a few times (i only stick to 2 or 3 threads at a time... if i go through all the ones i wanted to, i'd never pass college :P) so im in the same boat as csg and VIVAcious here... but from what ive read im in total AWE at the concern and generosity of the people on this forum... Coldplay fans really are the most amazing people on earth

Karen i cant WAIT to read your review, take as many days as you need to get back to earth though, cuz it sounds like you had one hell of a night :D

BUT id like to know how chris knew to dedicate the song to her? did someone hold up a sign or something?

ps. all these positive vibes *coughignoresmontrealcough* got me in such a good mood, i might actually decide to study for my french quiz =)

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, everybody long time reader first time poster on the site. Just wanted to share my story from an amazing weekend. It pales in comparison to the Karen/Kels, but is still pretty cool.

I go to school 3 hours from Kansas City but gladly made the drive on Thursday and missed my Friday classes to go to the KC show. I have two younger brothers who were playing there first college basketball games on Sat/ Sun. So I then drove to Topeka Saturday and Wichita on Sunday to watch them play. I was so blown away by the show on Thursday that I decided to drive from Wichita to Okla. City after my bros game to catch the Sunday night show. I didn't have a ticket but figured I could buy one from somebody. Long story short, I ended up center stage in the third row on the floor!!!! Call it karma or whatever you want ( I gave two tickets to the KC show to my bro and his gf cuz he couldn't afford them) but it was absolutely incredible!!!! I may try to load some pics later ( their poor quality cell phone pics) but, man, what an incredible weekend!!! I drove nearly 14 hours but caught two shows and 2 bball games. Totally worth it!!!!!

Oh yeah, I didn't know it at the time but I believe I saw Karen/Kels at the show. I was people watching as the show was being set up and saw them up front. I remember thinking it looked like a mother/daughter and thinking that was pretty cool...little did I know!!!

Hey, everybody long time reader first time poster on the site. Just wanted to share my story from an amazing weekend. It pales in comparison to the Karen/Kels, but is still pretty cool.

I go to school 3 hours from Kansas City but gladly made the drive on Thursday and missed my Friday classes to go to the KC show. I have two younger brothers who were playing there first college basketball games on Sat/ Sun. So I then drove to Topeka Saturday and Wichita on Sunday to watch them play. I was so blown away by the show on Thursday that I decided to drive from Wichita to Okla. City after my bros game to catch the Sunday night show. I didn't have a ticket but figured I could buy one from somebody. Long story short, I ended up center stage in the third row on the floor!!!! Call it karma or whatever you want ( I gave two tickets to the KC show to my bro and his gf cuz he couldn't afford them) but it was absolutely incredible!!!! I may try to load some pics later ( their poor quality cell phone pics) but, man, what an incredible weekend!!! I drove nearly 14 hours but caught two shows and 2 bball games. Totally worth it!!!!!

Oh yeah, I didn't know it at the time but I believe I saw Karen/Kels at the show. I was people watching as the show was being set up and saw them up front. I remember thinking it looked like a mother/daughter and thinking that was pretty cool...little did I know!!!

Awesome! Now that's dedication lol

And yes I would definitely call that Coldplay Karma :)

Viva La Vida like from OKC! 3:20 onwards you can see them best - a girl with a red sign (xxkels) and who's that in front going crazy and trying to slide herself on to the Ramp of Love to take piccies for her friends at coldplaying? Why, it's Karen!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4rUuj4DRuMA

(thanks a lot Kels for sending me the link :kiss:)

OMG she touched the ramp of love :stunned:

and Pete mentions you.... such a lovely thing to do :nice:

welcome to the board Trevor!! :) nice story!

Wow Trevor 41, how did you snag those tickets? How much?

Man this Karen story is AMAZING! Truly shows how caring and compassionate all these coldplayers are!!

Cannot wait to hear you review (and by the way, even though I was considerably disappointed that they didn't play Green Eyes, I also LOVE the Hardest Part so thanks to Karen!!)

Karen I know I am new her but I wanted to say that is WONDERFUL! I am glad you had such a fantastic time :)

They were on the Love Ramp on my side of the stadium, so I was all O_O because even in section 16 they were pretty close.

Fantastic night I think for everyone!! :D

Again glad you had a great night. :)

Roadie #42 in OK City (w/ video)

Roadie #42 - Blog #54

November 18, 2008 2:20 pm

#42 and the Flaming Lips cover

It's pretty common for shows in more out of the way places to be the ones with the most enthusiastic crowds. Oklahoma then, has potential to be a right good night out. We arrive late in the day, as soundcheck has been bypassed yet again. At the top of the ramp that leads us into the bowels of the arena are three young ladies holding banners who giddily bounce and wave as the band's vehicles swing around the corner. This is obviously not the only time this has happened, however when we emerge some hours later after the show, they are still there and they are just as excitable. I really do hope that they saw the show in between. Not just because they clearly were wonderfully bonkers about the band, but because it was a particularly good night.

Being in the hometown of the Flaming Lips means a lot at a Coldplay gig. Not only are the band great friends with the Lips guys, but so too are some of the crew. Hoppy, who looks after Chris's guitars worked for them many years ago. So did keyboard tech Neill Lambert (also now infamous as Chris's spooky Halloween attacker). I pass Neill in the corridor just as Wayne Coyne is making his way into the arena. Somewhat fittingly, Neill is in the middle of building a robot out of some metal electrical casings he's rescued from the dumpster. Proof if it were needed that we're heading now onto the beautiful slippery slope into what is commonly referred to as tour madness. I can only imagine that by Christmas, there are going to be a lot of inane grins and wonderfully skewed mental states. In the meantime, Neill's as yet unamed creation has been given a job in the Production Office dispensing setlists. I'm not sure he's even seen the Talk video. Maybe it's just subconscious...

Robot.jpg

The show itself is most enjoyable. As predicted, the crowd goes berserk even from before the intro tape and they're clearly out for a good time. Never ones to shy away from joining in, the fellas are lifted into the high gears early on. Will particularly, seems to be attacking the kit like it's something personal. I wouldn't wanna be a snare drum in Oklahoma tonight...

WC.jpg

When we get to the B-Stage, Chris introduces The Hardest Part with a line he's used before: "It's not the best Coldplay song, and it's not the worst Coldplay song". Tonight though, he clearly gives it some thought, before stopping the song a few bars in to declare that the worst Coldplay song "was one of our first ever songs, that was called Ode To Deoderant". And I thought Parachutes was an oldie! You'd need to be breaking both your arms and both your legs to get to hear that one again, I reckon...

Talking of rarities, Politik ends to make way for a one-off Flaming Lips cover in honour of tonight's guests.

<object height="370" align="middle" width="480" id="vidplay" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param value="http://www.coldplay.com/FlowPlayerDark.swf" name="movie"><param value="high" name="quality"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"><param value="#000000" name="bgcolor"><param value="config={ streamingServerURL: 'rtmp://fl.interoute.com/streamrt', playList:[{url: '{e58631c2-9172-42f9-99c4-35b67d778d7e}/{321780fb-359e-4d1b-b1f7-dc11b1f4cdfc}/WFS' }], loop: false, autoPlay: false}" name="FlashVars"><embed height="370" align="middle" width="480" flashvars="config={ streamingServerURL: 'rtmp://fl.interoute.com/streamrt', playList:[{url: '{e58631c2-9172-42f9-99c4-35b67d778d7e}/{321780fb-359e-4d1b-b1f7-dc11b1f4cdfc}/WFS' }], loop: false, autoPlay: false}" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" name="vidplay" bgcolor="#000000" quality="high" wmode="transparent" src="http://www.coldplay.com/FlowPlayerDark.swf"></embed></object>

(Huge thanks to Andy Bramley and the rest of the video dept for the footage!)

It only remains for the butterfly confetti to fall and it's pretty much all over. I remember doing a festival some years ago where The Flaming Lips were playing. I think I may still have some of the confetti in the back of my racks even now. It was an utterly joyous experience watching them play. I wonder what Wayne thought of the butterflies. I hope he liked 'em. I'm just hoping Chris doesn't decide that he wants to do the encores in a huge bubble so he can walk over the audience's heads from now on. How the hell would we get the piano in there...?

Roadie #42

http://coldplay.com/newsdetail.php?id=206

"That's the hardest part........ boop!"

:laugh3:

Aww Chris:heart: I was starting to get all teary after hearing him say "this is for our friend Karen," and then he starts rambling on about Ode to Deodorant hahaha:lol:.

But that was so nice, thank you for posting roche714. You can hear Will's voice so clear!!!:D

• 2 weeks later...

I was in attendance in the first few rows at this show, and am just now piecing together this incredible Karen/xxKels story. Oddly enough, I spoke to these 2 lovely ladies for quite a few moments this night, after saying `ello to Karen upon picking up on her accent(from my homeland). They were charming ladies, both and that xxKels made for a stunning view between myself and the stage ! ; )

Grand moment to hear Mr. Martin dedicating The Hardest Part to her!

Overall a solid, though better -than -usual performance of the predictable set list.