✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

27-Jul-08: Pemberton - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All pics added to the gallery at http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/1512

pemb6.jpg

pemb21.jpg

pemb25.jpg

pemb22.jpg

pemb17.jpg

well some people here are saying that i am going mad and when i questioned why do they think so not replying at all anyways.

i liked all the pics and i am asking for setlist ,reviews,vids again along with pics

even though every one thinks that i am mad.:rolleyes:

This is all getting rather confusing. :confused:

absolutely what i want to say.

rush of vida:why are you getting into arguements with me here....

people only do that when they expect something from other people...

then why you're hiding that fact...

and why you're acting as if you don't.:rolleyes:

Pallavi, stop thinking that everyone is against you.... because they are NOT! :laugh3: :)

even though i understand this i want to say that there is a necessity to talk straight to people rather than going forward too much in discussion and making some one getting embarassed with behavioral aspects.:rolleyes:

Coldplay was worth the wait

The highly-anticipated performance by Coldplay at the inaugural Pemberton Festival north of Whistler, B.C., had to be anticipated for just a little longer on Sunday, as extreme traffic delays on the highway finally had an impact on the performances. American funk/hip hop/alt-rock band N.E.R.D. arrived late for their show – minus three of their five musicians – and took the stage 35 minutes late, putting the rest of the mainstage schedule off-balance for the remainder of the day.

Coldplay, it must be said, was worth the wait. The headliners – and the driving force behind the festival – put on a powerful show. Frontman Chris Martin exhibited more than his typical enthusiasm and what seemed like genuine appreciation that people came to the remote festival and stuck around long enough to hear his band, which took to the stage at 10:20 pm on Sunday night.

“You braved hours of traffic and rain – all to take a chance on a new festival,” he said, adding that the consensus was that the event has been “a great success.”

Too bad for distractions during Coldplay's set: people departing in an attempt to avoid another long journey home, the slow-moving traffic visible behind the stage, the ever-present bass coming out of the B-Live tent across the field (particularly annoying during what should have been a Coldplay highlight: a short set on a tiny stage that included an acoustic version of The Scientist).

But overall, it was a strong show, with highlights that included Clocks, In My Place, and everybody singing along to Yellow.

Coldplay was preceded by an extraordinary performance by Jay-Z. For just over an hour, the New York hip hop star had the place in a tizzy – fans waving their arms in tribute and bouncing like crazy (the temporary wooden floor I was standing on felt positively trampolinesque). Some female fans showed their appreciation by flashing the crowd on the giant video screens – to great approval.

Jay-Z's urban lyrics set against the silhouette of the darkening mountains as he sampled everyone from Amy Winehouse to the cast of the musical Annie, was something to experience. Even he seemed impressed.

As the show wrapped up, like a teacher handing out gold stars at the end of class, Jay-Z sent some shout-outs to audience members whose enthusiasm he had noticed. “You in the yellow t-shirt,” he pointed to a fan. “And you, baby girl.”

An unlikely highlight from earlier in the day was a stunning two-song collaboration between Dj Dopey and 16 members of the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra. As the VSO played The Verve's Bittersweet Symphony, Dj Dopey ruled the turntable, and scenes from The Shining flashed on the screens behind the stage. The crowd in the B-Live tent ate it up. Future VSO subscription holders? Perhaps.

On unlikely combinations, the American Hasidic reggae almost-star Matisyahu closed out the smaller Lillooet stage with a spiritually-inspired performance that went with the gorgeous setting (at least the part of the show I managed to catch; there were scheduling conflicts with Dj Dopey and Death Cab for Cutie). In beard, yarmulke and side-curls, Matisyahu didn't exactly look the Pemberton Festival part, but with musical talent like his, he fit right in.

N.E.R.D. – late though they were – got the crowd going with a high-energy, infectious performance. Okay, so they thought they were in Vancouver at first, and Pharrell Williams uttered the f-word more times than one could count, but their energy was almost unparalleled on Sunday (and then Jay-Z came along).

Wish I could say the same for Seattle's Death Cab for Cutie. Perhaps it was festival fatigue setting in, but they just didn't do it for me – or the crowd. After N.E.R.D. – and Dj Dopey – the performance simply felt lacklustre. Too bad, because they've got a lot to offer.

Highlight of the final day: a crowd crazy in love with Jay-Z.

Low point: the backlog caused by earlier traffic delays meant Coldplay didn't wrap up their set until 11:40. And then, festival fans set out for what would no doubt be another long journey home.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080728.wpemberton0728/BNStory/Entertainment/home

Pallavi - I think what they were trying to say is that we are all waiting for reviews, pics, vids & setlists.

And you know what we're like, as soon as we track them down, they'll be in this thread for all to enjoy.

Pallavi - I think what they were trying to say is that we are all waiting for reviews, pics, vids & setlists.

And you know what we're like, as soon as we track them down, they'll be in this thread for all to enjoy.

sounds cool!:)

Pemberton Festival ends on a bang with Coldplay, Jay-Z

PEMBERTON, B.C. — Explosive back-to-back sets by Jay-Z and Coldplay capped the closing day of the inaugural Pemberton Festival, an ambitious three days of music set in a dusty B.C. mountain valley that, minus a few snags, was a resounding success.

The sun had just set behind the mountains on Sunday evening as Jay-Z took the stage to a roar of cheers - and quickly stole the show.

Backed by a brass band, the legendary producer and rapper worked the 30,000-person strong crowd into a frenzy. The ground shook as the audience thrust their fists in the air to hit after hit, including "99 Problems" and his breakthrough "A Hard Knock Life."

"To come up and here and get this much love, don't think I don't appreciate it," Jay-Z shouted to the thundering crowd.

"I appreciate each and every one of y'all out there."

And while songs from Coldplay's latest album, the critically lauded 'Viva la "Vida or Death and All His Friends," were interspersed throughout the band's closing set, it was crowd favourites that took centre stage.

The band rushed to an impromptu stage in the middle of the audience for an acoustic, singalong rendition of "The Scientist," and the crowd swayed and sang in unison to hits including "Clocks" and "Yellow."

Singer Chris Martin even referenced the traffic problems that had plagued the festival, singing "When the festival traffic moves at a snail's pace," in "Fix You."

A rainy Sunday morning threatened to turn the trampled sheep field into a giant mud pit before the clouds began to lift and music fans, many of whom had spent the previous three nights camped in fields surrounding the stages, gathered for the highly anticipated final day.

The promise of seeing such diverse acts as Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, The Crystal Method and Nine Inch Nails in a beautiful mountain valley drew about 40,000 people to the remote community of Pemberton, B.C., 150 kilometres north of Vancouver.

For Seattle-based Death Cab for Cutie, the lineup was the deal breaker in deciding to play the festival during a break between European and Australian tours.

"I can't imagine another time in our life where we're going to get to say, 'Stick around for Jay-Z,' " laughed drummer Jason McGerr.

The promise of a massive party appealed to others. About half of the festival-goers camped on site, in a sprawling campground that formed a horseshoe around the concert grounds. At times it looked like a refugee camp, with dusty tents and bright spotlights, save for the booming of a late-night DJ tent that echoed well past 2 a.m.

While talk of long waits on the narrow highway between Vancouver to Pemberton, chaotic parking and an impractical shuttle system dominated talk on the festival grounds on Saturday, a calm settled over the site on Sunday.

Rob Hepburn, 24, of Vancouver, said he's able to look past a few organizational missteps.

"I think everyone understands that this is the first year the festival's going on, and we're all just excited to be here. The setting's so great that everyone's just willing to forgive it," he said.

His brother, Jeff, flew in from London, Ont., for the show.

"At times it didn't seem like they had complete control, but it's to be expected. It's their first time through, a lot of kinks to figure out and a lot of people to police."

Still, the traffic chaos continued into Sunday. It took up to eight hours for some people to make the usual 20-minute trip between Pemberton and the nearby resort town of Whistler.

While it was clear that security was disintegrating Sunday, as concert goers openly flaunted smuggled-in alcohol and others boasted of walking in without tickets, a co-operative spirit of good cheer seemed to maintain order.

At a news conference on Sunday afternoon, organizer Shane Bourbonnais of Live Nation said his crew has "learned a lot of lessons."

"Every great festival has its hiccups at the beginning," he said.

"Obviously there are always kinks. We've identified all those issues, we're taking notes and figuring out how we'll improve on those issues."

Bourbonnais said he's already heard from seven bands interested in headlining the stages for the next festival.

The weekend also featured rising Canadian acts such as Buck 65, Wintersleep and Kathleen Edwards alongside the international heavy-hitters.

Canadian band Metric was one of the first to take the stage Friday, and singer Emily Haines says the mammoth festival marks a change in Canada's music scene.

"The days of Canada being sort of insular and disconnected from the rest of the world culturally is over, and festivals like this are the first sign of that," she said.

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5iAdf4Zb2H2LGEjeaDLJ0LgrJFA2A

Pemberton Festival: Coldplay

You all know that I think Chris Martin is one of the ultimate best British frontmen around. He's at once sexy, coy, charismatic and captivating. Coldplay, along with Live Nation were the brainchild behind the Pemberton Festival, and Chris Martin helped hand-pick the location along with some of the lineup.

Because of N*E*R*D's tardiness, the rest of the main stage's set times were bumped up by almost an hour. Instead of going on at 9:30pm, Coldplay took the stage at 10:20 and played till 11:40, well past the venue's 11pm outdoor curfew.

Chris was sweating like a beast by the third song (Clocks) - as usual he was really working hard on stage. I loved the accompanying black and white visuals during Viva La Vida that showed footage of Chris, Guy, Jonny and Will as a string quartet performing those sections of the song. A very nice touch.

And during Yellow, incidentally the only song the band performed off their debut album Parachutes, Chris got lots of help from the crowd, who were eager to join in. It's a very hard song to sing along to...the lyrics are simple, yet everyone seems to forget the proper order. And sometimes he mixes it up. I would have loved to have heard Sparks or Everything's Not Lost...or even Don't Panic or Trouble, but alas, there was no time.

At one point the band stormed down the security-only catwalk to the soundboard and performed an acoustic version of Lost and then The Scientist. Jonny, Will and Guy all surrounded Chris with their acoustic guitars. It was like a band of brothers - this new kinship that the band really feels like sharing with the rest of the world. Then, just as suddenly as they'd appeared at the soundboard, they were back on stage, blasting into an explosive version of Politik.

I can only assume that the band wasn't able to supply the crowd with an encore due to the late start time - they ended with Death And All His Friends. It'll be interesting to see what other setlists look like when the band continue their tour in support of the album for the rest of the summer. Full setlist below!

Setlist

Life In Technicolour

Violet Hill

Clocks

In My Place

Viva La Vida

Fix You

?

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face

Speed Of Sound

Yellow

Lost

The Scientist

[techno interlude]

Politik

?

Death And All His Friends

Can anyone fill in those two blanks? I feel strongly that they must have been from X&Y, an album that I've admittedly neglected, which would explain why I was unable to identify the tracks. Let us know in the comments!

http://blog.muchmusic.com/archives/2008/07/pemberton_festi_20.php

coldplay-pemberton-6.jpg

coldplay-pemberton-5.jpg

coldplay-pemberton-4.jpg

coldplay-pemberton-3.jpg

coldplay-pemberton-2.jpg

coldplay-pemberton-1.jpg