✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

27-Jul-08: Pemberton - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

Mega-stars Coldplay wrap Pemberton Festival with a bang

sun_coldplaypemb.jpg

PEMBERTON -- Dazed and exhausted festival-goers had to wait until 10:15 p.m. Sunday night to witness the biggest act of them all, British mega-stars Coldplay.

The eager masses threatened to knock over fences and storm restricted areas to get closer to what many consider the biggest band in the world.

But the soothing -- in comparison to Jay-Z-- sounds of front man Chris Martin and his merry band of men seemed to bring joy and harmony rather than hostility. Thankfully.

Considering Coldplay has always trumpeted causes having to do with peace and humanity, it was a fitting mood to close this epic event.

The band appeased the crowd early on in the set by playing older favourites like Clocks and A Rush of Blood to the Head, but relied heavily on material from the new album, Viva la Vida or (Death and all His Friends) throughout the rest of the show.

Heavy doses of piano -- such as on Speed of Sound -- and bits of orchestral string arrangements -- particularly on the new album's title track -- help with Coldplay's appeal to the easy-listening masses, while their grand guitar ambitions give them ample rock cred.

The most stunning moment of the night's set was when Martin stayed quiet and allowed the tens of thousands of people to sing the opening verse of the band's breakout hit, Yellow.

The repeated refrain, "Look at the stars, look how they shine for you," was marvelously fitting considering the dark and open skies above (even if clouds blocked the stars).

The band's big, symphonic sound and their messages of hope and peace were a fantastic ending to a festival that certainly had its issues, but seemed to make the majority happy.

As Martin himself said: "The overwhelmingly positive consensus is that it's been a great success."

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=ada0c95a-a269-4365-b2a9-42035bd56452

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The band appeased the crowd early on in the set by playing older favourites like Clocks and A Rush of Blood to the Head, but relied heavily on material from the new album, Viva la Vida or (Death and all His Friends) throughout the rest of the show.

Am I reading this correctly?! :o

I hope they mean the song and not 'from the album AROBTTH' :o

An acoustic performance of Lost!? I think I almost prefer that. Wouldn't mind if they carried that through here. Admittedly, it's probably my least favorite song on the new album... It'd open up a spot on the main stage for something better (imo) Plus I actually prefer the lighter version of the song.

Pemberton Festival ends on a bang with Coldplay, Jay-Z

Coldplay.jpg

Explosive back-to-back sets by Jay-Z and Coldplay capped the closing day of the inaugural Pemberton Festival, an ambitious three days of music set in a dusty B.C. mountain valley that, minus a few snags, was a resounding success.

The sun had just set behind the mountains on Sunday evening as Jay-Z took the stage to a roar of cheers -- and quickly stole the show.

Backed by a brass band, the legendary producer and rapper worked the 30,000-person strong crowd into a frenzy. The ground shook as the audience thrust their fists in the air to hit after hit, including “99 Problems” and his breakthrough “A Hard Knock Life.”

“To come up and here and get this much love, don’t think I don’t appreciate it,” Jay-Z shouted to the thundering crowd.

“I appreciate each and every one of y’all out there.”

And while songs from Coldplay’s latest album, the critically lauded ’Viva la “Vida or Death and All His Friends,” were interspersed throughout the band’s closing set, it was crowd favourites that took centre stage.

The band rushed to an impromptu stage in the middle of the audience for an acoustic, singalong rendition of “The Scientist,” and the crowd swayed and sang in unison to hits including “Clocks” and “Yellow.”

Singer Chris Martin even referenced the traffic problems that had plagued the festival, singing “When the festival traffic moves at a snail’s pace,” in “Fix You.”A rainy Sunday morning threatened to turn the trampled sheep field into a giant mud pit before the clouds began to lift and music fans, many of whom had spent the previous three nights camped in fields surrounding the stages, gathered for the highly anticipated final day.

The promise of seeing such diverse acts as Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, The Crystal Method and Nine Inch Nails in a beautiful mountain valley drew about 40,000 people to the remote community of Pemberton, B.C., 150 kilometres north of Vancouver.

For Seattle-based Death Cab for Cutie, the lineup was the deal breaker in deciding to play the festival during a break between European and Australian tours.

“I can’t imagine another time in our life where we’re going to get to say, ‘Stick around for Jay-Z,’ ” laughed drummer Jason McGerr.

The promise of a massive party appealed to others. About half of the festival-goers camped on site, in a sprawling campground that formed a horseshoe around the concert grounds. At times it looked like a refugee camp, with dusty tents and bright spotlights, save for the booming of a late-night DJ tent that echoed well past 2 a.m.

While talk of long waits on the narrow highway between Vancouver to Pemberton, chaotic parking and an impractical shuttle system dominated talk on the festival grounds on Saturday, a calm settled over the site on Sunday.

Rob Hepburn, 24, of Vancouver, said he’s able to look past a few organizational missteps.

“I think everyone understands that this is the first year the festival’s going on, and we’re all just excited to be here. The setting’s so great that everyone’s just willing to forgive it,” he said.

Still, the traffic chaos continued into Sunday. It took up to eight hours for some people to make the usual 20-minute trip between Pemberton and the nearby resort town of Whistler.

While it was clear that security was disintegrating Sunday, as concert goers openly flaunted smuggled-in alcohol and others boasted of walking in without tickets, a co-operative spirit of good cheer seemed to maintain order.

At a news conference on Sunday afternoon, organizer Shane Bourbonnais of Live Nation said his crew has “learned a lot of lessons.”

“Every great festival has its hiccups at the beginning,” he said.

“Obviously there are always kinks. We’ve identified all those issues, we’re taking notes and figuring out how we’ll improve on those issues.”

Bourbonnais said he’s already heard from seven bands interested in headlining the stages for the next festival.The weekend also featured rising Canadian acts such as Buck 65, Wintersleep and Kathleen Edwards alongside the international heavy-hitters.

http://www.thetelegram.com/index.cfm?sid=156857&sc=84

The setlist was posted a page back. Take a look.

Those pics are great Ian. Thanks! Chris looking more animated than ever these days. And I can't wait to hear what the Perv Unit has to say about the Chris kneeling next to Jonny pic. Easy everyone.

Did Chris actually have something to do with putting this festival together? Did I read that correctly?

Hey everyone!! i have this question.. maybe stupid.. where was Guy?? i cant see him in the pics.. was he in the stage??? i see a person.. but he doest not look our Guy.. im i right or wrong??

Maybe he had the night off.:rolleyes:

Hey everyone. Sorry for taking a while to come on here.. I just got back like a few hours ago.

Traffic was deadly!

Anyways, the festival was terrible. They just gotta work out the kinks for next year but overall it was definitely worth it.

Coldplay was amazing though! Chris showed a lot of energy. Guy and Will seemed out of it for some of the concert. The acoustic part of the setlist was amazing I'm not good at posting reviews but I am good at posting pictures and videos. :)

Anyways, I got to go get my things organized then I'll come back here if that's alright. And from what I can remember, I'll try to post the setlist:

Life In Technicolour

Violet Hill

Clocks

In My Place

Viva La Vida

Fix You

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face

Speed Of Sound

Yellow

Lost!

The Scientist

Politik

Lovers in Japan

Death And All His Friends

I might be missing a song or two. I'm not sure... I'll be back though!

Bye :)

Hey everyone. Sorry for taking a while to come on here.. I just got back like a few hours ago.

Traffic was deadly!

Anyways, the festival was terrible. They just gotta work out the kinks for next year but overall it was definitely worth it.

Coldplay was amazing though! Chris showed a lot of energy. Guy and Will seemed out of it for some of the concert. The acoustic part of the setlist was amazing I'm not good at posting reviews but I am good at posting pictures and videos. :)

Anyways, I got to go get my things organized then I'll come back here if that's alright. And from what I can remember, I'll try to post the setlist:

Life In Technicolour

Violet Hill

Clocks

In My Place

Viva La Vida

Fix You

Speed Of Sound

Yellow

Lost!

The Scientist

Politik

Lovers in Japan

I might be missing a song or two. I'm not sure... I'll be back though!

Bye :)

yay!! you win the prize for first one back :D that's my first fan review for Wiki :)

and you filled in one of the missing songs from the setlist we had earlier. one more to find :D

Update!

Life In Technicolour

Violet Hill

Clocks

In My Place

Viva La Vida

Fix You

?

Speed Of Sound

Yellow

Lost! (Acoustic)

The Scientist (Acoustic)

-----

Politik

Lovers In Japan

First-time poster - here's the correct and complete setlist from last night.

Life in Technicolor

Violet Hill

Clocks

In My Place

Viva La Vida

Fix You

Chinese Sleep Chant (band playing close together, right side of stage)

God Put a Smile Upon Your Face (techno version, right side of stage)

Speed of Sound

Yellow

Lost! (regular version - not acoustic)

The Scientist (acoustic, b-stage beside sound booth)

Death Will Never Conquer (acoustic, b-stage, Will on vocals)

techno interlude

Politik

Lovers in Japan

Death and All His Friends

The Escapist (outro)

Great show!

cheers