✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

27-Jul-08: Pemberton - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

^ Thanks :D

Coldplay shows solidarity in Pemberton's dust

080727%20Pemberton%20Festival%2022-34-08-1-Edit.JPG

While the rap fanatics retreated, everyone else rushed forward for Coldplay, whose brand of triumphant pop is tailor-made to the scale of an outdoor mega-festival at night. Lead singer Chris Martin was in fine form, nailing all his soaring parts and bounding giddily across the stage, ever the endearing, self-deprecating fool. When the Englishmen launched into “Viva La Vida”, he seemed to want to leap out of his skin, basking in the peculiar satisfaction that must come when 40,000 strangers are singing your own words back to you.

If you looked closely, you could see he was wearing bandannas, too, wrapped as arm-bands on his jacket, as if in solidarity with every dust-caked survivor below.

Full article here: http://www.straight.com/article-155541/coldplay-show-solidarity-pembertons-dust

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised they did the little acoustic set at a festival, there's about 39,000 people that can't see :P

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPaOFWeEPP0&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPaOFWeEPP0&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'm guessing no magic balls at outdoor venues? Did they use the big screen more?

Oh yes there was one.

I agree with those who said it was a great show. It was blew me away, no other show will Jay-Z and Death Cab ever open for Coldplay again.

I have hundreds of complaints about the festival its self. And stage set up and poor techs. The latter of which Coldplay felt the worse of. Treble dropping and going up was annoying.

Traffic....you people have no idea what the traffic was like, which also affected the performance. Performer showing up late which was behind me in traffic.

^maybe that's why the other poster said that Will and Guy seemed out of it?

Wow...how bad was the traffic. after the concert in LA, 1.7 miles took 1 hr!

Will look right into it, Guy seemed normal-ish. As headliners I think Coldplay got a helicopter in to avoid the line. Other bands didnt. I think we were infront of Wintersleep on the way in.

They need to widen the road next year 4 lanes is essential as it would have cut wait times in half.

The show was brilliant though, aside from drunk people.

Took us 3 hours to get into Pemberton (5KM) then after the concert it was 2 hour wait to the airport (5KM) and another 2 out. Then 6 hours to whistler (30km)

^^:laugh3: .......:stunned:wait are u okay?

Never better! :D

Oh yes there was one.

I agree with those who said it was a great show. It was blew me away, no other show will Jay-Z and Death Cab ever open for Coldplay again.

I have hundreds of complaints about the festival its self. And stage set up and poor techs. The latter of which Coldplay felt the worse of. Treble dropping and going up was annoying.

Traffic....you people have no idea what the traffic was like, which also affected the performance. Performer showing up late which was behind me in traffic.

Took us 4 hours to get 10 km. I'm not exaggerating.

Report coming...

I'll try and keep this short-ish...apologies in advance if I write you a novel :P

After waiting in a line for an hour and a bit, I managed to get third row, right in front of center stage. I'm only 5' tall, so I couldn't really see unless I contorted myself but I managed. Vampire Weekend was excellent--they were defnitely one of the highlights of the festival for me. N.E.R.D followed them--that was hard to endure. They were shit. Plus the crowd started pushing and moshing during their set, and didn't back down afterwards...I ended up being shoved back a couple rows and right to the left edge of the enclosure-whatsit. I ended up being on the rail, though, so I had a better view than when I started. Death Cab would have been great had the bass not been about 500 times too loud--I swear it rearranged my insides, and I literally could not hear a thing the singer was doing. Oh well. Then Jay-Z came on, and I'm amazed to say that I actually enjoyed it--a lot. Normally I avoid rap like the plague but he did an excellent show.

And then. Ah, Coldplay. I swear, from the very first note of Life In Technicolour to the last one of the Escapist, I forgot about the copious amounts of pain I was in from being crushed chest-first into the railing by however many thousands of people...:stunned: I had a pretty excellent view, considering. I could see about two-thirds of the stage clear as day, but unfortunately Guy was on the third that I couldn't see the entire time...

They were incredible. Despite the hiccups--Jonny's guitars sounded really sharp throughout the concert, but he managed to cover it up pretty well. Whoever tuned them will have got the sack. The setlist has already been posted, so I don't need to tell you how amazing it was...the crowd was great, singing through the whole of Yellow, VLV and Fix You, and I sang along to the rest. :P Chris replaced a couple of lyrics with lines about festival traffic, and about halfway through Lost!...he got, um, a bit carried away with his dancing and...he fell over! God, it was priceless. He jumped right back up, but he didn't quip about it once he was back at the mic, which I thought he would. Maybe he was too embarassed or something. I feel a bit bad for laughing...

After Lost! they came offstage and walked through the fenced-off pathway thinger towards the middle/back of the audience. I was literally two feet away from them. I just about died...the Scientist acoustic was really lovely, and then Will sang Death Will Never Conquer, which was also lovely. After which they walked back up to the stage, meaning I died again...

Politik was amazing. I loved the piano outtro (does anyone know what it is?). Lovers was a really big higlight for me--they did the butterfly confetti, and I caught some...it looked so pretty falling all over the stage as they were singing. They finished with DAAHF, and then it was over...truly, truly amazing. It definitely made that night one of the best of my life, and I've got the bruises to show for it...

I'll try and keep this short-ish...apologies in advance if I write you a novel :P

After waiting in a line for an hour and a bit, I managed to get third row, right in front of center stage. I'm only 5' tall, so I couldn't really see unless I contorted myself but I managed. Vampire Weekend was excellent--they were defnitely one of the highlights of the festival for me. N.E.R.D followed them--that was hard to endure. They were shit. Plus the crowd started pushing and moshing during their set, and didn't back down afterwards...I ended up being shoved back a couple rows and right to the left edge of the enclosure-whatsit. I ended up being on the rail, though, so I had a better view than when I started. Death Cab would have been great had the bass not been about 500 times too loud--I swear it rearranged my insides, and I literally could not hear a thing the singer was doing. Oh well. Then Jay-Z came on, and I'm amazed to say that I actually enjoyed it--a lot. Normally I avoid rap like the plague but he did an excellent show.

And then. Ah, Coldplay. I swear, from the very first note of Life In Technicolour to the last one of the Escapist, I forgot about the copious amounts of pain I was in from being crushed chest-first into the railing by however many thousands of people...:stunned: I had a pretty excellent view, considering. I could see about two-thirds of the stage clear as day, but unfortunately Guy was on the third that I couldn't see the entire time...

They were incredible. Despite the hiccups--Jonny's guitars sounded really sharp throughout the concert, but he managed to cover it up pretty well. Whoever tuned them will have got the sack. The setlist has already been posted, so I don't need to tell you how amazing it was...the crowd was great, singing through the whole of Yellow, VLV and Fix You, and I sang along to the rest. :P Chris replaced a couple of lyrics with lines about festival traffic, and about halfway through Lost!...he got, um, a bit carried away with his dancing and...he fell over! God, it was priceless. He jumped right back up, but he didn't quip about it once he was back at the mic, which I thought he would. Maybe he was too embarassed or something. I feel a bit bad for laughing...

After Lost! they came offstage and walked through the fenced-off pathway thinger towards the middle/back of the audience. I was literally two feet away from them. I just about died...the Scientist acoustic was really lovely, and then Will sang Death Will Never Conquer, which was also lovely. After which they walked back up to the stage, meaning I died again...

Politik was amazing. I loved the piano outtro (does anyone know what it is?). Lovers was a really big higlight for me--they did the butterfly confetti, and I caught some...it looked so pretty falling all over the stage as they were singing. They finished with DAAHF, and then it was over...truly, truly amazing. It definitely made that night one of the best of my life, and I've got the bruises to show for it...

very cool......thanks for posting and glad u had fun

Great location. I stayed at the back barrier and stood on it and got a great view. Then ran to see the b-stage about 10-15 feet away. Probably heard me screaming. :P

The sound hickups were annoying. Im glad they worked it out for Politik onward. Politik was bloody brilliant. Traffic was worth it.

And yes Jay-Z was awesome! He had great energy and a great crowd.

My little review:

Starting off I slowly got aggravated waiting in line to get into Pemberton for what seemed like hours. I eventually got there. Wandered around the site for awhile. Wasnt as committed to getting front row so i stood on a barricade 45 feet back and got a good view of the stage.

"How you doing Vancouver!?...Ive just been informed we are in Pemberton! Doesnt matter Cause we are here in Canada" Good job generalising the second largest country in the world. N.E.R.D. only thing they were good for was putting the final nail in the traffic coffin; by getting caught in traffic and delaying their set 30 minutes . They proved to the organizers that traffic was BAD. the 30 minutes eventually grew to over an hour with reoccurring sound problems.

Death Cab was very good, 5 minuite bass solo was awesome. Good Energy, and like he said :The only time I will be able to say this in my life. JAY-Z is next!!!"

Hova provided an electric set with hit after hit after hit. I enjoyed his set a lot his last was the best Encore! "I love Canada you gotta tell boarder guard to be gentle on HOVA so he can come back!

Coldplay...from the first note of Life In Technicolor(the second time) to the last note of The Escapist. They were brilliant. Playing hit after hit that pleased the crowd of 30,000 strong.

"You all stayed?" Of course we did Chris, you guys are amazing. The first Sunday Singalong was Viva La Vida which was amazing. immediately followed by Fix You. "Lights will guide you hoooome and ignite your bones....and i will try to fix you" the crowd sang for chris as usual! "I want to thank you for taking a chance on a new festival that you didnt know if it was gona be shit or great. Its turned out great."

Then the last part of lost! "Just because Im losing doesnt mean im..." Lost the crowd sang rather dismally. "Oh come on one more time and we'll come all the way to the back. To which the back roared LOST!

The b-stage performance was cool. I got 10 feet from the Jesus Of Cool. And after that the best moment of the concert came. In the form of....POLITIK.

After Politik I could have gone home happy. We got Lovers with major confetti which was pretty cool...was hoping for fireworks as it being out doors.

"This is our last song tonight. Thank you for coming sticking through traffic! See You soon" Death and All His Friends, was brilliant.

The show blew me away. I sit here now praying for a 2009 N.A. tour with Vancouver stops to see them again in a more intimate setting and seats...those are a must for a good week.

Overall Im looking forward to next year, I've learned from this experience and will that those lessons to next years fest!

embedded for you :)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Musical thrills were worth the wait

As they hit the stage 50 minutes late at the mega-musical festival they helped to create, the members of Coldplay seemed genuinely grateful that people had stuck around to hear them, late on a Sunday night and after a weekend of logistical problems that might have sent less devoted fans running. "Thanks for waiting around for us," front man Chris Martin said after the opening song, Violet Hill.

Then they put on a show that was the worth the wait.

Martin exhibited more than his typical enthusiasm as he rocked out on the guitar and behind the piano, complete with dance moves that made you wonder if he's been getting tips from Gord Downie. Their light show dazzled, with laser beams, a lit-up peanut-shaped balloon bouncing through the audience, and of course the trademark yellow floodlights to accompany the hit Yellow.

Martin is every bit the rock star. At the same time, he seemed almost humbled and certainly delighted as he looked out at the packed field in the remote Pemberton Valley and saw first-hand the result of his band's dream to help to produce - and headline - a European-style music festival in North America: thousands of fans, on-site camping, a killer lineup.

"You braved hours of traffic and rain - all to take a chance on a new festival," Martin said, adding that the consensus was that the event has been "a great success."

Their late arrival onstage was the result of a backlog caused earlier in the day when the American funk/hip-hop/alt-rock band N.E.R.D. got stuck in the notorious traffic that overwhelmed the highway between Whistler and Pemberton all weekend. A drive that normally takes 25 minutes took up to 4½ hours on Sunday.

The scary prospect of the drive back saw the crowd thinning out a few songs into Coldplay's fine set. "Down your beer and let's go," someone behind me said to her friend during Viva La Vida. Behind the stage, the crawling traffic was visible - along with the flashing lights of emergency vehicles. Distracting, to be sure.

On distractions, what should have been a highlight of the night was marred by a sound issue that plagued the festival all weekend. As Coldplay performed a short set on a tiny stage set in the middle of the crowd - which included an acoustic version of The Scientist - the ever-present bass line coming out of the B-Live tent across the field was clearly audible. It made the experience less intimate for the audience and more challenging for Martin.

Still, it was a powerful show over all, with the crowd singing along word for word to hits including Clocks, In My Place and especially Yellow.

The inaugural Pemberton Festival ended with a double-barrelled bang: Before Coldplay, hip-hop superstar Jay-Z put on an extraordinary performance that had fans in a tizzy for more than an hour: waving their arms in tribute, bouncing like crazy and, in the case of a few free-wheeling female fans, flashing the crowd on the giant video screens. Things never let up. It was electric.

One wonders about any controversy in having Jay-Z headline a music festival (a debate raged after he was announced as this year's Glastonbury Festival headliner). Even Martin joked during Coldplay's set: "We're honoured to be closing for Jay-Z."

The juxtaposition of Jay-Z's urban lyrics against the silhouette of the darkening mountains was something to experience. As he made his way through hit after hit - 99 Problems; Hard Knock Life (Ghetto Anthem); Jigga What, Jigga Who; even a bit of Crazy in Love (minus new bride Beyoncé) - fans who should have been pretty spent after a long, dusty weekend were beyond enthusiastic.

As the show wrapped up, like a teacher handing out gold stars at the end of class, Jay-Z sent some shout-outs to audience members whose enthusiasm he had noticed. "You in the yellow T-shirt," he pointed to a fan. "And you, baby girl."

An unlikely highlight from earlier in the day was a stunning two-song collaboration between Toronto's Dj Dopey and part of the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra. As Dj Dopey (a.k.a. Jon Ryan Santiago) stood centre-stage behind his turntable set-up in his Notes To Self T-shirt, a black curtain slowly rose behind him, revealing 16 members of the VSO in formal wear (we're talking white tuxedos and black ball gowns).

The classical musicians played the opening strains of The Verve's Bittersweet Symphony, Dj Dopey was spinning and scenes from The Shining flashed on the screens behind the stage. The young, mojito-infused crowd in the B-Live tent ate it up. Future VSO subscription holders? Perhaps.

For the most part, Sunday's lineup provided a bang-up end to a festival that had its share of logistical problems (including long lineups for shuttles, showers and porta-potties), but delivered big time on musical thrills.

Martin wound up Coldplay's show by wishing for "many more years of success" for the festival and thanking everyone once again for sticking around. "Sorry about the traffic, but I hope it's been worthwhile."

A chance to see Coldplay, Jay-Z, The Tragically Hip, Nine Inch Nails, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Buck 65, Wintersleep (I could go on) all in one weekend? Worthwhile doesn't begin to cover it.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20080729.PEMBERTON29/TPStory/TPEntertainment/Music/

Traffic and Dust Problems Overshadow Pemberton Festival's Big Name Line-Up

up-pember.jpg

Over the weekend, the Pemberton Festival brought artists like Jay-Z, Coldplay, Nine Inch Nails and the Flaming Lips to play to more than 40,000 festival-goers in the B.C. wilderness. But it also brought a fair share of chaos as well. According to several news reports, the inaugural music fest was marred by kilometres-long traffic jams, chaotic parking lots, choking clouds of dust, overflowing toilets and overworked medical tents.

After many fans got hung up on the 30-kilometre stretch of highway between Whistler and Pemberton— some for over five hours — they were greeted by parking situation that left many scratching their heads. “Getting here from Whistler was a nightmare,” festival-goer Adelle Papp told CBC News. “Then we paid $90 for parking, and we just stumbled on it. There was no one directing traffic, nothing.”

Exclaim! correspondent Amanda Ash, who covered the festival for us, faced a different obstacle of her own when he bus turned over, forcing the passengers to escape through the emergency exits. “Our bus flipped last night because they didn't make the roads big enough to fit two cars. Awesome,” said reported. “I’ve never had to use the emergency escape before last night. It's kinda funny after the fact (especially since parts of this festival are a total disaster, as I'm sure you've already heard) but during the whole tipping process I thought I was going to die. Haha.”

Amanda also gave a more detailed account of the traffic jam, adding, “There's only one road in and one road out, so traffic was a nightmare. Tour buses were late (obviously). I missed half the festival on Saturday because I was stuck in traffic for over three hours. Another reporter was stuck in traffic for six hours yesterday. Police couldn't get in and ambulances couldn't get out. Oh, and the place looks like a makeshift refugee camp because there were only a handful of garbage cans. All the papers on Friday pretty much said it was a gong show.”

Once everyone managed to pass all the traffic hurdles, many had to play the waiting once more, with line-ups to get a beer, use the toilet and even get a bottle of water being almost as long as those on the highway. And while this may be expected for a festival of this size, concertgoers had to do it all while inhaling clouds of dust kicked up by crowds on farmer’s field-turned-festival site, forcing many to cover their faces with scarves to avoid inhaling the dust.

Over at the first aid tent, Dr. Samuel Gutman told the Vancouver Sun that the dust had been causing a lot of problems for some festival-goers. “With the dust, we’ve seen lots of respiratory illnesses, and lots of hay fever, which makes sense, given the floor is spread with hay,” he said.

He said, the medical team treated about 250 cases a day, with the roving response teams taking care of about 600 to 800 people a day. “To give you a persecutive, at Lion’s Gate, which is a main trauma receiving hospital, we’d see 120 a day,” Gutman told the Sun. “Friday we did over a hundred IVs. We actually completely exceeded our stock.”

Also, it seems the security wasn’t as tight as promised, causing many music fans to come out with complaints. "Security was giving up," concertgoer Chris Betts told the Canadian Press. "There were no checks and no one seemed to know who was in charge."

Another Pemberton audience member told the CBC: "It was kind of like going to a war zone. It feels like entering a refugee camp: tents, blowing dust and bright lights."

Yet, despite the problems, Pemberton Festival organizers are already talking about doing it all again next year. “In our inaugural year, there are obviously kinks and we have identified those issues and we have been taking notes and figuring out how we can improve,” festival producer Shane Bourbonnais of Live Nation told the Province newspaper. “We have already started looking at ways of fixing them, working toward a much smoother festival for next year.”

http://www.exclaim.ca/articles/generalarticlesynopsfullart.aspx?csid1=115&csid2=844&fid1=32743