✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Fleet Foxes

Black Rose

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Managed to get a pretty good quality copy of the album, listened to it thrice now and I'm really enjoying it.

Granted, I loved the first album bit didn't listen to it THAT much (or at least I haven't for a long time) so then can't really compare them... but I really like the new album. There are some really interesting instruments involved in a couple of the songs. I love the way (much like the first album I guess) that it can be melancholy but quite cheerful at the same time. It's still definitely Fleet Foxes :wacky:

• 4 weeks later...

can't wait to go pick up the album tomorrow. they were on Jools last week and 3 songs from the album.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrzVegqeBNE]YouTube - Fleet Foxes - Bedouin Dress (Later with Jools Holland)[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m33jJRZhtl8]YouTube - Fleet Foxes - Sim Sala Bim (Later with Jools Holland)[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GGP8aY4gBo]YouTube - Fleet Foxes Grown Ocean Jools Holland Later April 2011[/ame]

can't wait to go pick up the album tomorrow. they were on Jools last week and 3 songs from the album.

YouTube - Fleet Foxes - Bedouin Dress (Later with Jools Holland)

YouTube - Fleet Foxes - Sim Sala Bim (Later with Jools Holland)

Absolutely stunning!

I also wish I could see them but meh no dates are near me and there is one later in the year but it's on a monday and i'll probably be starting college then sooooo yeah :(

well i have my hands on the album and it is really really nice. thankfully it comes in a digipak as opposed to those outdated jewel cases. the cover art as you all know is stunning and you also a get a poster size sketch of something that looks pretty opposite and on the other side of it has a long list of people they want to thank. then cd itself comes in its own jet black cover which is a nice touch. then centre fold of the digipak has all the lyrics in a handwritten type font. but the back of it is pretty lame. just a pic of each of them and plain listing of the songs. the cd image is pretty boring too.

the album itself? gets better with each listen! the band has done a great job of creating these wonderful landscapes with a much broader sound than their debut. the melodies aren't as prominent but they've done very well with the dynamics, something a lot of folk acts struggle with. and i seriously thought the harmony work on the debut would be impossible to top but i think it is even better on this album they just sound so much rich and coherent. i think they couldve made chopped off about 10mins from the album, personally i don't folk music works well over longer periods of time.

at this point it is a solid 8.5/10 but who knows what might change over the year.

well i have my hands on the album and it is really really nice. thankfully it comes in a digipak as opposed to those outdated jewel cases. the cover art as you all know is stunning and you also a get a poster size sketch of something that looks pretty opposite and on the other side of it has a long list of people they want to thank. then cd itself comes in its own jet black cover which is a nice touch. then centre fold of the digipak has all the lyrics in a handwritten type font. but the back of it is pretty lame. just a pic of each of them and plain listing of the songs. the cd image is pretty boring too.

the album itself? gets better with each listen! the band has done a great job of creating these wonderful landscapes with a much broader sound than their debut. the melodies aren't as prominent but they've done very well with the dynamics, something a lot of folk acts struggle with. and i seriously thought the harmony work on the debut would be impossible to top but i think it is even better on this album they just sound so much rich and coherent. i think they couldve made chopped off about 10mins from the album, personally i don't folk music works well over longer periods of time.

at this point it is a solid 8.5/10 but who knows what might change over the year.

Jewel Cases > Digipaks

Jewel cases ofter more protection than a digipak

each has its pros and cons. I had to weigh out my options when I talked to DiscMakers. I ended up going the digipak route.

Digipaks are generally more aesthetically pleasing, are lighter and not as bulky, and can be made to be biodegradable and/or using recycled paper. The main con would be wear&tear, but now they make them with a UV coating, protecting the artwork from fading, and from staining. I actually tried to sign a copy for someone, and the sharpie just wiped right off. My problem with Jewel Cases has always been durability. I've ordered CDs in the mail that came to me with cracked covers, and broken hinges.

the place i get all my cds love putting stickers all over them and almost invariably i ended up cracking the case in the process of taking off the stickers. whereas with the digipaks it is so much easier to take off the stickers. also digipaks have a more of a old vinyl cover feel to them.

the place i get all my cds love putting stickers all over them and almost invariably i ended up cracking the case in the process of taking off the stickers. whereas with the digipaks it is so much easier to take off the stickers. also digipaks have a more of a old vinyl cover feel to them.

Old vinyl cover feel?

Old vinyl cover feel?

oh you know how records come in cardboard like holders. well the digipaks resemble them sort of.

NME's review is terrible.

Loving Helplessness Blues, especially Battery McKinzie and The Shrine/An Argument

agreed. NME reviewer completely missed the point of the direction the band is taking. they didn't rate the debut very well either. they're just about the only publication to pan the album, dozens of critics have praised it and i agree with them. it is a truly brilliant album. well worth the wait!