✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

21-Dec-08: O2 Arena, Dublin - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

marcus_on

HOLY SHIT, THAT WAS PHENOMENAL.

I was meant to be in the flat seats in Block G, an area which looked like it had been put together at the last minute. A few minutes before the High Wire come on, I say to my cousin, "Man, these aren't great seats. I have a plan."

Two minutes later we're in amongst the majority of the still-empty flat seats, dead centre, seven rows back from the stage.

So The High Wire come on. I have their album by now (picked it up at the merch stall - a snip at €7), and am impressed by them. They remind me of early Puressence.

15 mins after The High Wire go off, Jon Hopkins comes on, aka One Man, His Macs, And A Massive Screen. I recognised a few of his songs - from his third album, called Insides, due out in March. The massive screen, meanwhile, was showing the weirdest animated film I have EVER seen. For half an hour, everyone's talking amongst themselves. Then, as the credits roll, the applause starts. He got an amazingly good reception from us down at the front, even though for most of his set we were like "WTF?"

He then goes back to DJing as equipment checks get underway. The place is buzzing now, and we are on tenterhooks for 20 minutes. Then a familiar classical piece comes on. I'm like, "Yup, that's it."

The lights go down, and the Jon Hopkins sample at the beginning of Life In Technicolour begins to play. The crowd just erupts, and I have butterflies in my stomach at this point - the ohfuckmethisisgoingtobeamazing kind. I get told to sit down by some random woman who chose not to get to her feet. She's changed her mind by the time Violet Hill starts though, standing up, as we all are, our seats forgotten.

Yellow was a partcular highlight, what with balloons and confetti and whatnot. I get an elbow in the mouth from the guy sitting next to me, trying hard to catch one of those balloons. That was fun.

42 and Fix You get astonishingly good receptions. Then suddenly we're all clapping as the opening notes of Strawberry Swing are played. I'm like, oh, fuck yes. This was always going to be the highlight of my night, and it was astonishing. Such a good live song.

Then off they go the b-stage, where they play a techno version of God Put A Smile Upon Your Face, segueing it into Talk. That went down quite well, and I videoed the whole thing. It turned out shit, though.

Chris is then left on his own at the piano. He plays the Hardest Part, which goes down really well, and I get a good pic of him. Postcards From Far Away follows, and it seems to me that not many people recognise it. I'm like "Have you lot not bought Prospekt's March?"

Nobody has ANY trouble recognising the next song though. Viva La Vida gets the best reception of the night. As the song ends, the audience keep singing the refrain, then Coldplay, the sneaky bastards, surprise us by launching into Lost! without any warning. I was wondering how it'd go down live. It was brilliant.

Off to the b-stage again then. Or so I think. They go past it. I ask my cousin where the fuck they're off to. Then I spot a stage. Hello, acoustic set.

Green Eyes gets a very good reception from me, as it had never been one of my favourites on A Rush Of Blood To The Head up until recently.

The lads then decide to get festive, with acoustic renditions of Jingle Bells, and - get this - Fairytale Of New York by The Pogues, which I cannot believe they pulled off, it was acetastic.

That Viva La Vida remix plays over the PA. I'm like, oooh, encore coming.

Politik was immense. I loved the lighting, and got a video of Jonny doing his thing near the end of the song.

Lovers In Japan? It was all about the butterfly confetti. I got around 100 pieces. My cousin got 400, which I suppose is well possible when your jumper has pockets. The video for this song was, erm, interesting.

Death And All His Friends is next. I overhear some randomer near me saying, "What song's this?". I laugh. As the song explodes into life, a VIVA banner unfurls itself at the back of the stage. The guys take a bow, and I see some of the roadies taking away a few props. Everyone else has got the right idea though, and we start making serious noise.

Cue a second encore of The Scientist and another Prospekt's March Track, Life in Technicolor ii, which, again, most people fail to recognise. I could swear I was the only one in a group of 50 singing along.

The lights come back up, and people start to make their way out of the venue, as The Escapist plays over the PA. Once we're outside, I ask my cousin what he thought of the gig. He replied, "It was epic."

What an awesome show.

It was, indeed, such a perfect day.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, I'm getting confused about the vids I got - I definitely got one of Jonny doing his thing, but it wasn't during Politik - I got the build up of that song instead. I'll go check.

P.S. Yes, camera phone, so the audio quality will be shit.

Awww it's alright!!! :dance: Can't wait :D

Life In Technicolor

Violet Hill

Clocks

In My Place

Speed Of Sound

Yellow

Chinese Sleep Chant

Fix You

Strawberry Swing

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face (Techno Version)

Talk (Techno Version)

The Hardest Part (Piano)

Postcards From Far Away

Viva La Vida

Lost!

Green Eyes (acoustic)

Jingle Bells (acoustic)

Fairytale Of New York (The Pogues cover - acoustic, Will singing)

(Viva La Vida Remix)

Lovers In Japan

Death And All His Friends

The Scientist

Life in Technicolor ii

(The Escapist)

For the lazy ones among you. :P

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocBr3xIru8U]YouTube - Coldplay - Lost! At the 02 Arena Dublin[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQClSobGzDs]YouTube - Coldplay- Yellow[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07BjjcPnyHo]YouTube - Coldplay - Fix You Live at the 02 Dublin[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI7FSTO-oyQ]YouTube - Coldplay - 42 Live at the 02 Dublin[/ame]

Life In Technicolor

Violet Hill

Clocks

In My Place

Speed Of Sound

Yellow

Chinese Sleep Chant

Fix You

Strawberry Swing

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face (Techno Version)

Talk (Techno Version)

The Hardest Part (Piano)

Postcards From Far Away

Viva La Vida

Lost!

Green Eyes (acoustic)

Jingle Bells (acoustic)

Fairytale Of New York (The Pogues cover - acoustic, Will singing)

(Viva La Vida Remix)

Lovers In Japan

Death And All His Friends

The Scientist

Life in Technicolor ii

(The Escapist)

For the lazy ones among you. :P

AND Politik before Lovers In Japan ;) and that concludes the same setlist for the 22nd also.

Cliona

Wow, thanks for putting my videos in! ;)

I recently added Clocks and Death and All his Friends if you want to use them too.

I also have the Scientist and back for good in the same video.

Plus I just uploaded 30 seconds of the piano from 'Postcards from far away', which is just wow.

http://youtube.com/smileitssunday89

Coldplay were absolutely AMAZING. ^_^