🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

Ask the Oracle on Coldplay.com (Now in session!)

twistedlogic149

Sorry, Debs, but having 'writer's block' does not at all mean you have nothing to say. In my case (just coming off a 5 year long block) it was my fear that I couldn't say it adequately, or as well as I used to. But I wholly agree with the rest of your answer. :)

As far as that feminine voice goes, if the boys are looking for that, I'm always available and my rates are fair,lol.:lol:

(Incidentally, that writer's block broke shortly after MX came out. Nothing like new Coldplay to get my creative juices going again. :D

Totally agree, but from a somewhat different perspective. I write books, and writers block is anything but having nothing to say. Most the time, it's me trying to come up with the words to describe what I want.

April 26, 2012 - submitted by Sarah, France[/color][/b]

Q. Hello Oracle,

Have Coldplay ever thought of adding a feminine voice to their songs. I am not talking about a duet like they did with Rihanna in Princess of China, but about a feminine voice to sing one of their songs (existing or future) with them.

Thank you for your answer!

The Oracle replies:

Other than Rihanna which is a duet, there actually has also been a recording with another female vocalist.

from Prospekt's March features Emily Bart-Smith on backing vocals.

Juanita Stein (Howling Bells) also performs backing vocals on UWITB. /I'mboring,Iknow.

May 1, 2012 - submitted by Zuzana, Slovakia[/color][/b]

Q. Dear Oracle,

there is a reality show in our country called Hotel Paradise (which is not of very high quality, and that is quite an understatement).

They are using the Coldplay song (Paradise, obviously) as their theme tune. Is it legal? I would be very surprised if it was approved by the band. Here is the trailer.

Many thanks for replying!

The Oracle replies:

When you say "here is the trailer", that is all it seems to be. The music can be used in the trailer but it will not be the theme tune for the actual show - that would be a different case completely.

As far as I can tell the theme tune is performed by Tereza Kerndlova and Slovak Miso Biely. The song it titled Vsetko sa da.

That is my question!

Maybe it is not the theme tune, but they play Coldplay's Paradise everytime they advertise the show on TV. It is really embarrasing for me that people here are associating the show with Coldplay because the show is terrible. :angry: It is about exchanging partners in hotel rooms in every episode...

May 2, 2012 - submitted by Saurabh, United States of America

Q. The Hollywood Bowl site says that there are no cameras allowed so how are we expected to add to the live feed?

The Oracle replies:

I have addressed this already but I shall do so again because... it does not say there are no cameras allowed on their site.

What it actually says is:

"Flash photography, professional camera or recording equipment (including cameras with detachable lenses, any form of camera stand or audio/video recording devices), laser pointers or other electronic devices are prohibited."

You don't need flash anyway as it ruins the shot. If you're taking a non-professional camera or a phone that takes pics - you'll be fine.

May 2, 2012 - submitted by Callum, United Kingdom

Q. What time will the shows in London be ending? Me and my friends need to get the train from Paddington to Bristol at 23.30. Will we have time to reach the train without leaving early?

The Oracle replies:

I haven't got the stage times set in stone but I won't lie, I think you'd seriously be pushing it if you left at the end with thousands of people all exiting at the same time with the majority wanting to get the same tube as you. I personally wouldn't risk it.

It's about a 5 minute walk to the Underground station (Arsenal) from the stadium and a 25-30 minute tube ride to Paddington. If you wanted to be at your train with only 10 minutes leeway, you'd have to have left Emirates by 22.45 latest.

May 2, 2012 - submitted by Matthew, United States of America

Q. I saw this video and it said Chris Martin from Coldplay was in it.

It's the Book People Unite video and I could not tell which character was Chris. Somebody told me it was Pinnochio, but I couldn't quite hear it. Is that correct, if not who is he?

The Oracle replies:

When I first visited the video, I saw the name Chris Martin but no mention of Coldplay so assumed, 'ah, it'll be a different Chris Martin" but then I heard his voice quite clearly. Indeed it IS Chris. Watching the video I'd say he's voicing the Wolf (from the Three Little Pigs) flying the plane - definitely NOT Pinocchio.

That's a great find Matthew, thanks for sharing.

That is my question!

Maybe it is not the theme tune, but they play Coldplay's Paradise everytime they advertise the show on TV. It is really embarrasing for me that people here are associating the show with Coldplay because the show is terrible. :angry: It is about exchanging partners in hotel rooms in every episode...

I so so understand.. We have the same show here.. :( I'd hate that too.

May 3, 2012 - submitted by Matiss, Latvia

Q. Hey Oracle, I've just noticed at one of Coldplay last concerts that they played Princess of China with Rihanna in it. I was at Rock Im Park last year and there they played it too but without Rihanna. And I just wanna know why Chris doesn't sing all of the song without Rihanna. The Rock Im Park version sounded really great!! Thank you so much!!

The Oracle replies:

Chris sang all parts at Rock Im Park because that was before the album had been released and there hadn't been any announcements about it being a duet. It didn't feel right so the song was dropped from the live set until now.

May 3, 2012 - submitted by Maryam, Bahrain

Q. Dear Oracle, I was on billboard.com and they had six albums for Coldplay. One of the was called Buddha Renditions Of Lounge. Is it real? if not, why is it not on billboard?

p.s. Mylo Xyloto is not on the site either

The Oracle replies:

There are more listed when I access the site (13) but that's because it is showing results when you search for the word Coldplay.

Buddha Renditions Of Lounge Coldplay is the title of a record that hasn't officially got anything to do with Coldplay; it's just far eastern versions of some of their tracks.

Mylo isn't on there because they haven't updated it.

May 3, 2012 - submitted by Daniel, United States of America

Q. Hello! Do Coldplay's supporting acts such as Rita Ora or Frank Ocean travel together with Coldplay and spend time with the band? I'm a huge fan of all the supporting acts and I was just wondering if they're all close friends. Sorry if this question is worded weirdly, but thanks!!!

The Oracle replies:

When the band toured Latin America in 2010, the opening act did travel with Coldplay, as did everyone. Coldplay's crew, Bat For Lashes' crew and all personnel travelled on a chartered plane for convenience Plus it kept costs down. The band had built up a great rapport with Bat For Lashes on a previous tour so invited them to travel with the band party.

To answer your question, no, it's not usual for the support bands to travel with the band. I'm pretty sure they're not close friends either.

I read a hideous story the other day about security for a well-known artist telling the support act to face the wall rather than look at the megastar. I can assure you, no such behaviour goes on with Coldplay.

May 4, 2012 - submitted by The Oracle, United Kingdom

Q. WHO'D LIKE TO JOIN TEAM ORACLE?

When I answer questions of a personal nature, Coldplay.com readers often get in touch with their own thoughts. So, we now have a weekly feature, Team Oracle, whereby each Friday (with the question asker's permission) we open up a question to all of you to answer too. Then, the following Friday, I'll post a selection of the best answers, alongside my own reply.

ANYONE can join in so, if you'd like to, please email your response to the following question, in no more than 250 words, to [email protected] before midnight Thursday 10th May.

This is from a 15 year old girl who is really fed up with this situation.

A few months ago my dad was having an affair. I knew it was going on as I had read some emails behind his back. Doing this I felt guilty for not doing telling my mom but at the same time I felt it was between them and I shouldn't get in the way of it. My mom found out but did not mention any of it to me. Honestly I thought they would separate but they didn't. Fast forward to a few months later and here I am in this hell hole. They are always fighting and I don't really know what to do. Usually I just go to my room and listen to loud music. I can still hear them and it p****s me off that I cannot do anything. I think in their eyes I am a clueless girl who is completely oblivious to everything going on in this house.

To make things worse, my 17 year old brother was recently caught stealing which just made me lose respect for him and quite honestly my whole family.

There are other things going on at school so it's like I don't belong anywhere. I can't remember the last time I was happy about anything, and because of this my grades have been going down. I have no close friends I can talk to and at school I've already broken down in front of two teachers because the simplest smallest things set off these angry emotions I've had bottled inside me. I hate going to school and failing at everything I do and looking at all these happy people that I am invisible to. I cry myself to sleep every night but I don't know why and it's so damn frustrating. I just don't know why I feel this way, why I'm angry, why I feel guilty about all this going on with my stupid dysfunctional family. I'm sorry if this does not make any sense at all but I just needed to let everything out. I'm not even sure what I'm asking.

Thank You for listening to me because I know no one else would.

A. USA.

Look forward to seeing your replies.

The Oracle

The Oracle replies:

Please email your replies to [email protected]

May 4, 2012 - submitted by Katelyn, United States of America

Q. TEAM ORACLE QUESTION #69

I don't know where to start. I'm tired of being put down by my brother it may not seem much but it hurts so badly. I'm scared all the time now. I'm tired of crying. I act so happy but on the inside I'm dying. I don't want to be here anymore I don't know what to do.

Katelyn.

The Oracle replies:

I happen to know you're age is 12 Katelyn and it makes me sad to think of you suffering without the support of anyone. Your first step of bravery was sharing it here and hopefully the second one will come after reading the support of people that care - even though you haven't met a single one of us.

It may feel like the scariest thing in the world right now to stand up to your brother but the thing with bullies is they thrive on their victim's fear. The key is to ignore him and act as if you really don't care what he says. That may be a quick fix solution. The only reason I mention it is because I and many of my friends have older brothers and we were all subjected to teasing, fighting and varying degrees of persecution; it's quite usual behaviour between siblings though we are all so close with our brothers now. I am not condoning how your brother treats you but I am hoping he will just grow out of it.

That doesn't mean you should put up with it. The distress it's causing you is just not acceptable. I urge you to stand up to your brother. If he thinks you're strong, he won't be interested in tormenting you. Please talk to one or both of your parents. It is their role to protect you and I will assume your brother is hiding his behaviour from them. This is where your fear stems from. I doubt your parents would let him get away with it so regardless of any threats of what he may do if you tell them; do it anyway.

Home is where you should feel the safest so do not let him taunt you any longer.

Practice what to say the next time he does it. If you can use all your strength to stand up to him, tell him loudly and firmly to stop. If that doesn't work do not hesitate to tell your folks.

Over to you.

You need to know why your brother does it. Just unhappy people are worried about putting others down, forgive him. Acting happy is a great way, act happy, Practice happiness, because sometimes life is so hard and hurts so bad that we can forget how to be happy. That's what I do, no matter what I'm always smiling, always. Life is short and been unhappy and sad is a waste of time. Hugz, Marta, Mozambique

I guarantee you're not the only one out there feeling like this. There's no shame in feeling lost and unhappy; many people have a period in their lives where they need help. That does not make the situation easier, or less crucial to deal with. You need to seek help immediately. Please don't always put on a happy face for others. Let your parents and your friends help you. They cannot help if they don't know there is a problem. I can tell when something is troubling one of my children, but there are times they will not open up to me. When this happens, I remind them that if they cannot talk to me for whatever reason, there are professionals at school who will help them work through problems, and all discussions will be confidential. If your family is part of a church, you can look there for guidance. Reach out to a favorite relative who can give you advice without being as judgmental as you may fear your parents would be. There are many hands out there to take your hand and help you sort through the $^#* that life can throw at you.

Please have patience - you can work through this. You will feel stronger and much happier. Please reach out NOW and remember the lyrics of U2 (is that blasphemous on a Coldplay site?)

"Don't give up 'cause you have friends

Don't give up, you're not beaten yet

Don't give up, I know you can make it good".

Lisa

These abusive put downs need to stop immediately. If you keep acting happy, then he will continue to put you down and the situation will only get worse. You need to gather all of your courage and tell your brother that he needs to lay off already. I know it's easier said than done, but you can't continue living like this. If he has the slightest bit of love and compassion (and he should because you are his sister) then he will stop. I don't know if you still live with your parents but if you do, you need to tell them what is happening and what you are going through. Your parents can set your brother straight if you can't get through to him on your own. It seems like you have alot weighing you down, and you owe it to yourself to seek help. If you can, talk to a psychiatrist and get your feelings in the open and sorted out. Surround yourself with friends who you feel comfortable talking to and let them in on your feelings to help relieve this overbearing stress. If you are still uncomfortable, try keeping a journal and writing down everything you feel. It's simple, but very effective. Best of luck, Blake.

Katelyn, please please please tell your parents about this. They must know about this. If they can't help you, then tell someone whether it's a counselor, friend, teacher, etc. You can't keep this bottled up inside you if it's hurting you this much. Also, talk to your brother. You need to tell him how you are being affected. If this continues on, you'll just end up with a nasty relationship with your brother when you two are adults (assuming you both are young). Good luck, Taameen.

Katelyn, I know how you feel. My brother can be a huge jerk too.The way I get through it is by doing or thinking about something I love. I will read a book I haven't read in a while, call up a friend, or just listen to some music ( Coldplay has literally saved my life a few times). By getting your mind off of your brother and focusing on something enjoyable, you'll find that you will be a much happier person. Also, make sure that you express your unhappiness to your parents. It might seem awkward at first to tell them, but its something that needs to be done. Try to avoid conflict with your brother and just tune him out when needed. Good luck! Isobel, USA.

I understand how you feel, and I am not just saying that. The person who has hurt me the most is my Mother. And it is definitely a very painful situation, but I think that forgiveness is the best way to move on. I know it is hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel right now, but the idea is that when you forgive, you do not just forgive the person who is hurting you, but yourself because at the end I think we all can decide if we allow somebody to hurt us or not. Your happiness has been always in your hands waiting for you, all you need to do is embrace it! From my point of view you are very strong, and the reason for me to know that is because you took the action to share something that is hurting you, and you are trying to be happy, maybe you have not notice how strong you are! Do not be afraid, remember that people who have a tendency of being negative in any way is because they are very unhappy themselves.

Peace, love and blessings! Mayra.

You could do either one of three things Katelyn:

One, carry on the USA way and kick back and keep smiling.

Two, know you're better than that and just feel sorry for his insecurities.

Three, find his weak points and make sure they're highlighted without looking like the instigator. Thankyou, and good luck. Dave.

I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling so much. You don't mention how old your brother is, but it sounds like he's a bit immature and hopefully it's something he'll grow out of. You should have a talk with him and explain how much his discouragement hurts. Being bullied at home is just as hard as being bullied anywhere else, if not worse, and should be treated accordingly. Be confident in yourself, think and believe that you will be happy in life. It's your life, don't let others take control of it with hurtful comments that most likely root from their own insecurities. You say you act like you're happy, even when you're far from it, and i know its lot easier to pretend everything's okay rather than dealing with what's bothering us. However, from experience, I can tell you that it doesn't get you a anywhere but right where you started. Maybe talk to a parent and let them know you're struggling, please don't seal everything in. Acknowledging how you feel is a great step forward, and I admire you for doing it. Surround yourself with friends or family that do make you feel happy. Katelyn you can, and will get through this, don't give up on happiness - or people. Wish you the best. Love, Darm.

It hurts when someone doesn't treat you with the respect you deserve, especially when that person is family. You need to stand up and tell him that what he is saying really hurts, but don't stoop to his level in the process. Tell him that the way he is acting is really hurting your feelings, and just tell him that, as family, you just want to get along. If he doesn't comply, then take a break and get away from him, and I mean this in more ways then one. Just try to avoid him, and if he tries to insult you, prove to him that his words are hollow, and let them pass through you. Hopefully, he'll realize that he doesn't need waste his time going out of his way to harm other people with words, and stop. However, most importantly, don't forget that he's still family. Love him, and don't let the thought of animosity even cross your mind.

Best wishes! Bradley H.

I know how you feel. Being put down by other people. Believe me, God hears your cries. I used to be insecure and cared too much about what others thought of me. I wasted some of my years trying to be someone I was not. But when I realized that there is a God who loves me unconditionally. I didn't care what others said about me. Pray for your brother. You may feel hate and insecurity towards your brother. Find out why he puts you down. Show him love back. It may not seem like the best answer but believe me it works. Love works.

In the Bible it says, cast all your burdens upon Him for He cares for you. He loves you.

My life has never been better ever since I gave my problems and my life to God.

Remember you are not alone. You are in my thoughts and prayers. God bless! John.

I want to start by saying what I think is most important that you do: talk to your brother, as soon as possible. He needs to know how much you're hurting, and you need to tell him. Secondly, I want you to tell yourself this: I need to be here. I should be here. However sad you may be at times, please do not, ever, give up on life and yourself. I have been through hard times too and now, in many ways, it has made me stronger. It's not a cliche, it's really the truth. So, I sincerely hope that you will try and have faith in yourself. It's easier said than done, but is in no way impossible. Choose to be positive. Choose to let go of all the sadness. What you choose, you usually do. As I have said here on Team Oracle several times before, one is never alone. That goes for you as well. You are NEVER alone. Stay strong! Love, Medina.

I'm very sorry to hear about your current situation. I think that maintaining a relationship with your brother is first of all very important. Even if it's not a good one. If there is no relationship there is nothing to fix. I have had a similar situation in the past were I was the brother and my brother was you. In the end my brother and I were almost always constantly fighting and my brother was scared of me. He told my parents how he felt and since then I have been trying to fix the relationship that I had almost completely ruined. I think that you should maybe try talking to your parents. If you have and it hasn't worked maybe have them sit down and have them not leave the table until they understand your situation and the way you feel. Another way to solve this is maybe directly go to your brother and have him sit down instead. He might just ignore whatever you told him, but at least he has heard you and your feelings. My parents really scared me when they told me how my brother felt about me. I first tried to blame it on him and then realized that that wasn't going to get us anywhere, so I gave in and have been trying to slowly reconstruct the relationship. I hope all of the best for you. Stay strong. Silke, Barcelona.

Please get up and go to a mirror.

Look into your eyes and see the wonder of your creator's creation.

Then draw a circle around yourself. Fill it with only good things. Only good things. Only good. Jerilynn.

Thanks again to everyone. Team Oracle is open to anyone so if you fancy replying to this week's emotionally charged question, click to read and send us your answer.

May 8, 2012 - submitted by Grace, United States of America

Q. So far in the preview of the video Princess of China, only Rhianna is in it... where is Chris and the rest of the band? :(

The Oracle replies:

What you've seen is not a preview of the PoC video; it's a stand alone video for the live shows only - hence it only featuring Rihanna as the band are there in the flesh.

I'm not at liberty to give any details away but I will tell you that the entire band aren't in the PoC video - only Chris.

May 8, 2012 - submitted by AJ Anable, United States of America

Q. I am an Actor with a demo reel and I have Cold Play Music in the background. I have been told that this is illegal and I also have been told that it is perfectly ok. I thought best to go to the artist directly. I have no intention of selling my reel but it is shown for commercial purposes. Thanks for your response.

The Oracle replies:

SARCASM ALERT: I'm thinking that anyone who still thinks that Coldplay is two words should perhaps receive some form of detention for not doing sufficient homework (also one word).

Teasing aside AJ, I'm sorry to have to tell you it's not as simple as asking the band. It's correct that you cannot use anyone's music without permission although copyright is held with their publishers and record label so you actually need to redirect your request to Universal Publishing (UK) and Parlophone.

May 8, 2012 - submitted by Kirsten, United States of America

Q. Hello Oracle,

I was on the Wikipedia page for American Idol and saw that Coldplay's performance this past week was pre-recorded. It this true? Or was Paradise and ETIAW performed live? Can't wait to see them in June!

The Oracle replies:

Anchorman announced fans could win tickets to American Idol's 3rd May taping. Even though the band's schedule last week was of course 3 nights at Hollywood Bowl on 1st, 2nd and 4th May leaving Thu 3rd free; it was indeed pre-recorded earlier on Thursday morning in front of a different audience. The live performance was edited in to the later programme.

May 8, 2012 - submitted by May, Netherlands

Q. Hey Oracle,

I already tried Google.

Is Green Eyes written by Chris or not?

Because if you search it on Wikipedia it says: 'Green Eyes may refer to: Green Eyes, a song by Matt Lombardi written for Julie Marie Fort given to Coldplay for their album A Rush of Blood to the Head'.

The idea that they didn't write it makes me a bit sad, since the song is so full of love, you know? It sounds so sincere. And I thought that it was written for Jonny and that girl, so... I'm really confused right now.

If you answer, thanks a lot! And thanks a lot for reading this, anyway!

The Oracle replies:

This is an example of how Wikipedia isn't always 100% accurate and the old adage "don't believe everything you read" is true. As much as I do love Wiki, it looks like someone has added that entry - probably to name check themselves and a mate as neither are clickable links so not that prolific eh?

If you delve a little deeper into the AROBTTH entry, it mentions the real fact that Chris wrote the song.

May 8, 2012 - submitted by AJ Anable, United States of America[/color][/b]

Q. I am an Actor with a demo reel and I have Cold Play Music in the background. I have been told that this is illegal and I also have been told that it is perfectly ok. I thought best to go to the artist directly. I have no intention of selling my reel but it is shown for commercial purposes. Thanks for your response.

rrrrrrr :veryangry:

The Oracle replies:[/color][/b]

SARCASM ALERT: I'm thinking that anyone who still thinks that Coldplay is two words should perhaps receive some form of detention for not doing sufficient homework (also one word).

:nod:

The Oracle replies:

awesome Oracle is awesome

you'd think someone actually on the Coldplay website would notice that nowhere on there is it spelled Cold Play XD

i have asked so many questions (which i thought personally were really good) and she hasn't answered any of them :/ :embarrassed:

she gets a LOT of questions every single day, so even if she does answer any of the ones you submit, it might not be for a very long time. once she answered one of mine that i had sent in so long beforehand that i had actually forgotten about it. :P so don't give up hope!