Sweet One

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

White Stripes take chart by storm

_42418998_white_stripes_203ap.jpg

The White Stripes are now touring in the US after European shows

Rock duo The White Stripes have entered the UK album chart at number one with their latest release, Icky Thump.

Meg and Jack White's new album replaced the Traveling Wilburys' Collection at the top of the sales chart.

In the singles chart, Rihanna stays at number one for a sixth week with Umbrella, featuring Jay-Z.

She fought off competition from Any Dream Will Do winner Lee Mead, whose version of the Andrew Lloyd Webber song rose to number two.

Mead, 25, is preparing to star in a West End production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat as a result of winning the BBC One talent show earlier this month.

Festival acts

The White Stripes are currently on tour in the US and Canada after promoting Icky Thump, their sixth album, at gigs across Europe, including the recent Wireless festivals in London and Leeds.

Earlier this month they played an acoustic set for war veterans at the Royal Chelsea Hospital, London, before playing a benefit show for them.

Editors, who played at Glastonbury this week, saw their single Smokers Outside The Hospital rise from number 30 to number eight.

Another Glastonbury act, Scottish DJ and singer Calvin Harris, saw his debut album I Created Disco enter the chart at number eight.

Heart-throb Enrique Iglesias saw his album Insomniac make its debut at number three.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6235522.stm

• 3 weeks later...

Wow!!! Just got back from a White Stripes- induced mob here in Halifax. They were playing another secret show, this time at a pool place, but they only let a few people in. The other couple of hundred just stood there clogging up the sidewalk. :lol: Fun time, anyway. Don't think the city has ever seen anything quite like it.

Now off to the concert :dance:

^Well, I got a lot of exercise out of it, but not much else in the end... *shrug*

Back from the concert. Really wising I had remembered a camera right now. *grr*

Maybe not *THE* most amazing show I've ever seen, but it was up there as one of the best. Jack is without a doubt the most amazing mesmerising guitarist I've ever seen, though. Wow.

Oh yeah, and he wore a kilt again. Not to mention it almost seemed like he had a tan- he wasn't anywhere near as pale as his pictures. And he brought a bagpiper and a giant Nova Scotia flag with him. He definitely seems to be embracing his Nova Scotian roots. (He's second and third cousins with an amazing number of Nova Scotia's most famous musicians, mostly fiddlers.) And just when you thought it couldn't get more weirdly iconic, a couple of the old sailing ships that are here for the tall ships festival were moored right outside the windows. (The concert was at pier 23 on the waterfront)

I freaked out when they went off stage before the encore- they had played for a long time, but had only played about 3 or 4 of their top 15 or 20 songs. But then everyone got so worked up that the encore must have lasted for another 10(!) songs or so. They played for about 2 hours altogether.

Let's hope Halifax lived up to it's reputation as one of the loudest cities enough to bring them back. I think we did.

• 1 year later...

Here is some youtube footage from an intimate show for french television. performed at the famous studios canal. this gig shows off both the hard rock side of white stripes as well as their more mellow side.

Icky Thump -

Slowly Turning Into You -

by the time you guys read this message i will have about 8 of the songs uploaded.

• 4 months later...
whats with the sudden influx of jack white related threads being popular. theres this one thats suddenly been updated plus the raconteurs one and theres the one about the Bond song. surprising cos the man is flat on his back at the moment recovering from a slipped disc.

Get well Jack. I love you. You're my angel...my most favorite guitarist ever. :sick2:

jack white hate?

hope your not referring to my posting because i own every white stripes and raconteurs album plus dvd and the wallpaper to my mobile phone is a cartoon pic of jack and meg. so theres no hate coming from me. i was just surprised that throughout the year when the raconteurs were touring the world (otherwise known as europe and north america) there was no interest at all in jack or any of his bands. then he stops working (for the first time in like 5yrs) and theres all this interest him.

im just a little perplexed thats all. is it the alicia keys song?

jack white hate?

hope your not referring to my posting because i own every white stripes and raconteurs album plus dvd and the wallpaper to my mobile phone is a cartoon pic of jack and meg. so theres no hate coming from me. i was just surprised that throughout the year when the raconteurs were touring the world (otherwise known as europe and north america) there was no interest at all in jack or any of his bands. then he stops working (for the first time in like 5yrs) and theres all this interest him.

im just a little perplexed thats all. is it the alicia keys song?

You know that old saying/song: "Don't know what you've got till it's gone"

AKA taking people for granted. It reminds me of those Hollywood industry types who got all cut up when Heath Ledger died and considered him for an Oscar nom after they didn't give a rat's ass about him while he was alive. :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ijh3sUu7kEc]YouTube - The White Stripes on Conan's Last Show (02-20-09)[/ame]

that is the white stripes first performance together in over 15 months. more importantly it was conan's last show and the white stripes are his favourite band. they do his favourite song in this video We're Are Going To Be Friends off their brilliant LP White Blood Cells. its an interesting rendition.

• 2 months later...

well they arent really doing much at the moment. but something tells me that jack might surprise us with an album. he recently said in an interview for his 3rd band The Dead Weather that he is currently in his home studio mixing 40 tracks for an upcoming White Stripes film.

jack doesnt seem the type to make 9 or 10 albums with the same band. i think we should expect at most another 2 or so albums from the band.

he doesnt have a main band. he gives each project equal attention. its not his fault that the white stripes have had much more success than the raconteurs. the raconteurs have many many more albums in them but for me they will always be a superior live band rather than a good album one. just my opinion

the raconteurs are SOMETHING ELSE compared to the white stripes,meg white can't be called musician.

just take a look @ the raconteurs drummer,this is a fuckin amazing musician:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MWkLTKaq1s]YouTube - Top Yourself - The Raconteurs (Oxegen 2008)[/ame]