✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

27-Feb-2009: Burswood Dome, Perth, Australia - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews, Setlists, Photos

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quick question: were they lots of cameras in the standing crowd? Im not talking about mobile cameras but normal compact small digital cameras.

if yes, did people take photos using flash as well? i would assume the constant flashing would piss em off ..

Superstars Coldplay rock the Dome

getfile.aspx?Type=image&ID=542815&ObjectType=3&ObjectID=264463

arts_cont;tile=6;sz=300x600;ord=123456789?

English rock superstars Coldplay kicked off their Australian tour at Burswood Dome last night in front of more than 17,000 fans.

Their latest album, Viva La Vida, was the biggest selling album in the world last year, yet frontman Chris Martin says the Grammy award-winning band’s “very heavy soft rock” divides music lovers. “There’re a lot of people in the world who hate us and a lot of people who have no idea what we do and also a lot of people who like us who I’d like to please even more,” he told The West Australian.

Martin and his three band mates certainly pleased the legions that turned out to see last night’s spectacular concert.

They drew on the new album plus hits such as Yellow, Clocks and Fix You. They started triumphantly with Life in Technicolor and romped through the first handful of songs like kings of the mountain.

By In My Place, the audience was singing along liked a massed choir in a demonstration of why Coldplay is rated the best selling rock band of this century.

Coldplay will perform at the Burswood Dome again tonight.

SIMON COLLINS

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=5&ContentID=127218

Thanks, Jizo, Wally -- everyone who had some input about last night's gig. :D

I'm busting to see a clip of 'The Scientist' and 'Politik'; YouTube hunting as we speak.

Glad everyone had a good night, and I'm sure they'll get into it after they've adjusted; gotten some good sleep etc. :)

Agreed! Thanks Chris and Wally!

Yeah now that they've adjusted they'll deliver a twice as good show:D

Coldplay lives up to expectations at Perth show

0,,6507939,00.jpg

PERTH ROCKED: Coldplay wowed fans at Burswood Dome.

"Thanks for taking the shuttle bus to be here," Chris Martin told an enraptured crowd as Coldplay kicked off their Australian tour in Perth.

Decked out in French revolutionary garb in keeping with the theme of 2008's Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends, the band were nothing short of brilliant.

While on the other side of the world Bono was busy verbally bashing his biggest rival, Martin and co were doing what they do best. With an abundance of energy and enthusiasm they charmed the 17,000 fans who were singing and clapping along.

You could almost forget your were in the soulless vacuum that is the Burswood Dome, such was the party atmosphere inside the bubble. And to their credit the band managed to somehow conquer the venue's shocking acoustics to pull off a show that sounded as good as it looked.

The weight of expectation might be getting heavier now that Coldplay are officially the biggest selling band of the century, but you wouldn't know it. If anything the band seemed even more excited and animated than they were when they last visited Perth in July 2006. It seems success agrees with them.

Kicking off with Life in Technicolour, the band emerged from behind a screen as the song segued into Violet Hill. From then on it was a relentless stream of great songs. You couldn't really wish for more from a stadium rock show. The delivery was imaginative, with the band regularly changing configurations and even setting up camp amongst the crowd for a spell. The scope was ambitious and the energy admirable.

And Coldplay delivered exactly what the crowd wanted - a perfect balance of anthems and ballads.

Clocks, In My Place and Yellow all featured early. There were loud cheers for Fix You and even more when Jonny Buckland launched into the brilliant guitar riff that heralds the crescendo ending.

Viva La Vida, Lovers in Japan and Politik were all superb. Although it is hard to identify standouts in a set that was so well thought and executed.

No wonder Bono has resorted to a war of words and cheap shots at the "cretin". He knows the revolution has been won.

Viva La Coldplay.

Coldplay

Burswood Dome

Friday, February 27

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,25118597-5005368,00.html

Coldplay run hot on their Australian tour

SOMEONE should tell Bono that there is no battle for the title of best band in the world: the fight has already been won.

Dressed, rather aptly, as war-ravaged French revolutionaries, Coldplay proved on Friday night that they are indeed the worthy victors.

Not only have the English quartet outsold every other band this century, they have also developed into one of the most, if not the most, exciting live bands in the world.

Kicking off their Australian tour in Perth on Friday night, the band was nothing short of sensational.

Even the hostile environs of the Burswood Dome did nothing to dampen the mood of the band nor the crowd.

Indeed, the band managed to overcome the venue's appalling acoustics, sounding better than almost anything else has in the infamous bubble.

You couldn't wish for more from a stadium rock show.

The delivery was imaginative, with the band regularly changing configurations and even setting up camp amongst the crowd for a spell.

The scope was ambitious, but the band pulled it off with their unrelenting energy.

And they delivered exactly what the crowd wanted - an excellent mix of high energy hits and stirring ballads.

Clocks, Fix You, Viva La Vida, Politik, Lovers in Japan were among many highlights.

If there was ever any doubt that Chris Martin could match the legends of the game, they were quashed in moments.

With energy to burn, he held the crowd in the palm of his hand - whether he was racing around the stage, thumping away at his piano or even cavorting with a Japanese parasol.

"I never thought we would make it to Liverpool, I never thought we would make it to Paris, never mind Perth - so, thanks for taking the shuttle-bus to get here tonight,'' he told the 17,000-strong crowd.

More than 32,000 fans turned out for Coldplay's two shows in Perth.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25119999-5009160,00.html

A few more Twitters about this show

Nesca: thought Coldplay were so awesome last night. They massively rocked Perth, wish I was going again tonight!

about 5 hours ago from web

Jodd: Coldplay concert last night. Beat concert ever.

about 5 hours ago from web

ItzEddie: Loved the coldplay concert last night was god damn awesome! :D

about 7 hours ago from Twadget

the guy with the first vid on youtube, & with the flickr pics Ian found, has posted a blog :D

So as mentioned below I wasn't really "feeling" Coldplay prior to the gig. I kind of felt I was arriving at the party about 3 years too late. I was also dreading another show in the god awful Dome, it so sucks in there acoustically and the seating layout is possibly the worst in the world.

We got there pretty early because the parking is another major hassle at this place (surprisingly they proved me wrong this time round) and so we caught the support act, Mercury Rev. Well it's always a tough ask to support another band isn't it? You get a shit lighting setup, half the sound output of the headliner and a crowd who'd rather you got the hell off the stage ASAP. But every now and then a support act kicks the butt of the main dudes. Not so much on this occasion.

Firstly who the feck are Mercury Rev, what kind of name is that and when will you decide on your own music style. I think we determined they were a bit Muse meets Coldplay meets My Chemical Romance meets Freddy Mercury...........ahhhh so that's what the name is all about.

Anyhoo on with the show. Coldplay come out....now is a good time to watch my crappy vid of the opening songs....

They just exploded onto the stage and suddenly I started to feel it, finally, thank christ. This whole French Revolution feel was pretty cool and I kind of started to "get" their latest album a bit more after hearing it in this context. It's still their worst though IMO.

These guys really take a leaf out of the U2 how to play an arena gig handbook and I'm okay with that. It was a great show, sure they played for an hour less than a certain 74 year old legend did only a few weeks ago but in their defence they were slightly more active.

Possible highlight of the show would have to be the two bogan chicks about 4 seats down from us who decided to scratch each others eyeballs out only a few songs into the show. Something about one of them having such a huge fat ugly head that the other one couldn't see. Bonus entertainment for your dollar right there.

I gotta say though that I wished we'd bought mosh pit tickets, we so wanted to get up and dance, the fear deep in our stomachs that bogan chicks would leap at us like a pack of rabid vampire vixens ripping out our jugulars if we dared stand up kept us firmly in our seats. Next time it's the mosh or nothing.

Highlight would have to be when the band left the stage and left the arena via the crowd only to reappear way up on the second tier of seats to a small stage with mics and commence an acoustic "busking" session, some peeps got an awesome up close coldplay experience even if it was stinky and sweaty. Pretty sure they didn't mind.

So basically song after song that you almost new the words to and if you didn't it didn't matter because you simply mouthed along and everyone believed you did. I had an awesome time, probably top 20 all time gigs and only just out of the top ten. Oh and the confetti pouring out of the roof made for a very cool visual highlight.

Edit: The sound was actually pretty good last night, the first track had me thinking it was going to be nothing but reverb all night but I never really noticed it after that.

http://yelpar.blogspot.com/2009/02/coldplay-perth-2009.html

updating first post with vids! found a few more vids:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKqNbnwNov8]YouTube - Viva La Vida Live - Coldplay (Perth)[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSssYaQX6Gk]YouTube - Coldplay - Perth 27 Feb 2008 - Burswood[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7IAV7gICG0]YouTube - Viva La Vida - Coldplay - Perth 2009[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2smfaDdCp8]YouTube - Coldplay live in Perth - Viva la Vida[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so--mIRv6pA]YouTube - Coldplay: Concert Intro, Burswood, Perth {WA 27.02.09}[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzknL-pX32o]YouTube - Coldplay: In My Place / Yellow {Perth, WA 27.02.09}[/ame]

Coldplay run hot on their Australian tour

SOMEONE should tell Bono that there is no battle for the title of best band in the world: the fight has already been won.

Dressed, rather aptly, as war-ravaged French revolutionaries, Coldplay proved on Friday night that they are indeed the worthy victors.

Not only have the English quartet outsold every other band this century, they have also developed into one of the most, if not the most, exciting live bands in the world.

Kicking off their Australian tour in Perth on Friday night, the band was nothing short of sensational.

WAOW!!!What a review.That's amazing!!!