✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

8-Mar-2009: Entertainment Centre, Brisbane, Aus - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews

Coldplay - How Are They This Good?

I went along to see Coldplay on Sunday night and I would have posted this yesterday but they had a second show in Brisbane and I didn't want to spoil it for anyone.

Since I saw their Twisted Logic tour back in 2006 (actually I saw them twice, once at the end of '05 in Paris and again '06 in Brisbane when I got home) I've been hanging out to see their show again. I even posted about getting nervous when tickets went on sale. That's how much I love this band.

Now from what I understand people are split down the middle when it comes to Coldplay. Half of people love them and half of people hate them. I don't understand why that's the case but I won't try to either.

Let's just say that Sunday night was one of the best shows I have ever seen in my life, possibly the best. Their songs translate so well live that it's just awesome song after awesome song. And they have the whole package. Their stage production is simply unreal. At some points during the set I just didn't know what was happening. Instead all I could do was stand there in awe of how great the experience was.

I'm useless and forgot to take any photos so I don't have any for this post but I'll try to paint a picture with words. Actually I'll do my best for one song.

My favourite out of their new songs is "Lovers In Japan" and, wow, it went off. They had an enormous screen behind the stage which, when the song started, had really cool images of Japanese stuff that really cleverly fit in perfectly with the lyrics. But the best bit was when it hit the chorus. Thousands of little paper butterflies in different colours got blasted out over the audience and were lit with blacklights so they glowed with that awesome luminesence you get from blacklights. I couldn't believe my eyes. It was just incredible standing there. Each song had something different. In fact for a couple of acoustic numbers they ran up onto a tiny stage set up in the nosebleed section. The people back there went ballistic.

But it wasn't just smoke and mirrors. The mix of the band was immaculate. They're one of the best sounding bands going around. Vocals were seamless and the band sound was full and spot on. The only minor disappointment was that they tried to cover up some samples a little bit. Their new album was always going to need some sampling live but I just wished they hadn't tried to cover it.

I could go on but I won't. It was awesome. I'll stay on a high for a little while yet. Thank you Coldplay. Sunday night is what all concerts should be like.

http://dbutts.blogspot.com/2009/03/coldplay-how-are-they-this-good.html

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha... I was shocked! I was the one who was going on about how amazing Jonny was... & couldn't believe he said he was a c*nt... it was hilarious! I'm SO sorry if I talked too much... I do that when I'm nervous... it was a brilliant night through!

xx

Amazing experience - it was just as well there were other people around because after I'd had my photo taken I was a bit lost to be honest :laugh3: As I stepped away after having my photo taken:

Chris: Hey mate I've got a question to ask you....*Has photo with someone else*....how old are you mate?

Me: *Realizing Chris Martin was talking to me* 17yrs old

Chris: 17?.... *takes photo with another person*.....how are most people your age getting their music these days?

I don't even remember if I said anything when he asked me that - a few people chimed in & stopped any possibility of an awkward silence :laugh3:

Just your basic white canvas sneakers haha. I just found a picture on my phone of Guy and his bass antics. I put all the soundcheck photos on my Facebook, so hopefully it'll let me link it. Enjoy :)

guybass.jpg

HHAHAHA

thanks Andy!

thats hilarious!!:laugh3: silly boy, playing the bass on his head! :P but seriously that looks really cool and has to be hard to do...what talent!!:D:D:D

I finally got my video uploaded

Not DVD quality or anything - but I love that I at least have a memento I can watch at any time & relive it all. That + my photo with Chris :laugh3:

Awesome, thanks for that. really cool.

did you happen to record any more of the show?

its nice to have that memento :)

Awesome, thanks for that. really cool.

did you happen to record any more of the show?

its nice to have that memento :)

Unfortunately thats all I got - just as well too because anymore and my camera would've died right before I met Chris :laugh3:

I didn't get all the really good stuff like Life in Technicolour II & the piano solo version of The Hardest Part - was too busy soaking it all up :)

Unfortunately thats all I got - just as well too because anymore and my camera would've died right before I met Chris :laugh3:

I didn't get all the really good stuff like Life in Technicolour II & the piano solo version of The Hardest Part - was too busy soaking it all up :)

same, i was way too busy enjoying myself instead of filming haha.

Hi

Just realised I had some more pics that I hadn't uploaded, you can never have enough can you :) As in my previous upload you're welcome to use them, so long as you credit me.

Rock On

Gerry

IMG_7498.jpg

IMG_7506.jpg

IMG_7507.jpg

IMG_7531.jpg

I like this one

IMG_7540.jpg

IMG_7580.jpg

IMG_7598.jpg

Got to say the big video screen was really crystal clear, it makes such a difference

IMG_7600.jpg

IMG_7642.jpg

IMG_7656.jpg

IMG_7687.jpg

I love how the guitar is lit up

IMG_7724.jpg

IMG_7735.jpg

IMG_7738.jpg

IMG_7747.jpg