✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

8-Mar-2009: Entertainment Centre, Brisbane, Aus - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it August yet???? Damn, thanks for the vids, I am too excited!!!
I'm thinking the same thing! August cannot be here soon enough :lol:

@ Andy: at what time did Coldplay had their soundcheck?

Some of us are trying to figure out at what time to meet at the venue before the concert (in Florida, on August 9). Since our venue is outdoors, we'll be able to hear the soundcheck even if we are outside, and maybe get a glimpse of the band.

I'm back home now (flight was horribly delayed), so it's el reporto time. The first words that come to mind are all variations of absolute awe and amazement. Last night was without a doubt the best night of my entire life. Coldplay are quite simply genius.

I arrived at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre at 3:30 PM. We headed inside the back-stage area and could hear - through the walls - an echoing instrumental rendition of Glass Of Water (the soundcheck began at around 3:15 PM I'd say, localola86, though they did say it was late today). When we entered the actual arena, we were allowed to all gather right at the foot of the barriers. The band finished GOW, and then Chris said a quick hello. GOW again, Violet Hill, and Life In Technicolor II. Guy was resting his bass on his head during LIT II and strumming away flawlessly.

Chris then said he'd take audience requests. Someone yelled out for Spies, but Chris said they had no clue how to play it and that it would sound like shit. My friend and I called out for Swallowed In The Sea (see R #42's latest blog), but Chris ended up taking a shine to a request for Trouble.

After Trouble, the band came down for a quick chat and some photographs. The boys introduced themselves (four extremely polite and gracious guys). I shook Will's hand, then Jonny's, and then Chris'. As I shook his hand I mentioned that I had sent a postcard. He replied, "Oh, the Postcards From Far Away project?". He said the project was wonderful. I then had time for a little chat with Chris. Unbelievable.

At this point, I noticed that no one was talking to Guy. I went over, shook his hand, and said a few words. This was fantastic because I was really hoping I'd be able to chat with Guy. Unfortunately, that was it for the meet. The band were ushered away and the support acts came on for a soundcheck. We were then taken on a tour of the backstage area, including the dining room, technical areas, loading zone, roadie area (so many stunning Viva guitars), mixing desk etc. Roadies and Coldplay crew I noted: Franksy, Miller, Hoppy, Bash, Arlene, roadie whose name escapes me with long hair and beard.

It was a few hours until the show, so time was passed with some rather horrible food (some very strange hotdog). The show was, of course, phenomenal. My favourite tracks were Violet Hill, Politik, Death And All His Friends, Cemeteries, LIT II and Green Eyes.

I hung around after the gig for about an hour and a half. About fifteen or so fans had gathered around the back exit while most people seemed blissfully unaware that the band would, at some point, come out. The entire venue had pretty much cleared out by now, and the last black van left through the exit. Chris was in the back seat, but the van drove straight on out.

Then, suddenly, the van stopped and turned around. Chris jumped out and spent a good ten or fifteen minutes chatting with the fans that had remained. I must say, Chris went above and beyond the call of duty. He was extremely courteous, accommodating, friendly and talkative. What a star. He remembered me from the soundcheck, too. Again, unbelievable.

I really had a good chance to have a chat with him while he was signing albums and taking photos. I asked how Famous Old Painters and Christmas Lights were going, and if he'd ever play Violet Hill live on the piano. He said he prefers the guitar because he doesn't want to sit down for the first number.

Everyone there had the chance for a photo/signature and he really went out of his way to make conversation. After fifteen minutes (I can only guess at this point – I was on such a high), Chris had to leave. I shook his hand, and he said "keep those shoes man" (he was asking me about my shoes earlier in the soundcheck – it was a moment of complete awe to hear Chris actually asking me something).

The car drove away, and that was that.

What a group of talented and phenomenally kind and generous human beings.

Best night of my life. Best band in the world. Period.

amcra1.jpg

amcra3.jpg

amcra4.jpg

amcra5.jpg

amcra6.jpg

butterflies.jpg

meandchrismartin2.jpg

After I had my photo taken he asked me how old I was (17yrs) and then asked how most people my age got their music these days. Discussion with the other ~8 people followed.

He hung around for 10-15mins just chatting with us :)

Called Johnny a c*nt a few times after he left in the first car & didn't come back :laugh3:

meandchrismartin2.jpg

:laugh3: That's my mates shirt on the left behind you. Chris was fantastic.....

Unfortunately, the flash was disabled on my camera, so the only photo I got was a pretty poorly lit, blurred one - but a photo/memento none the less!

dscf0945.jpg

Andy, amazing amazing review my good fellow, sounds like you had a phenomenal time, seriously, what a freakin' lucky guy you are!!! (Sure loads of people are jealous - including me :lol:).

I can't really type more, I am lost for words!!! Again, wicked ay, glad you had a wonderful time, I'm happy for ya :D!!!

:laugh3: That's my mates shirt on the left behind you. Chris was fantastic.....

Unfortunately, the flash was disabled on my camera, so the only photo I got was a pretty poorly lit, blurred one - but a photo/memento none the less!

dscf0945.jpg

Awesome! At least it came out :) That lady at the end with the phone was having serious issues.

Andy, amazing amazing review my good fellow, sounds like you had a phenomenal time, seriously, what a freakin' lucky guy you are!!! (Sure loads of people are jealous - including me :lol:).

I can't really type more, I am lost for words!!! Again, wicked ay, glad you had a wonderful time, I'm happy for ya :D!!!

Thanks man. It was a fantastic night. I feel very blessed. I still can't believe it all happened, to be honest.

Ahhh great review and story, I know this feeling you have of complete awe, Chris proved once again he's juts down to heart and so willing to meet the fans if he has enough time :nice:

Apparently all the songs he doesn't want to play sound like shit, damn you Chris :P

well done about asking Swallowed tough, maybe with your request and the one Roadie#42 talked about they will reconsider playing it again at some point of this tour :)