🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

The Official Tennis Thread

rudy_o

HA

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/13299869.stm

Andy Murray beaten by Thomaz Bellucci at Madrid Open

_52558158_011908838-1.jpg

British number one Andy Murray made a sorry exit at the Madrid Open, beaten 6-4 6-2 in round three by Brazilian Thomaz Bellucci, the world number 36.

In the first meeting between the two players Murray, seeded four, spurned three early break point opportunities.

Stylish left-hander Bellucci, 23, grew in confidence as Murray wilted, and sealed victory in one hour 31 minutes.

Murray now heads to next week's Rome Masters and said: "I'm happy that physically I progressed."

The Scot was pleased to return to competitive action following an elbow injury that sidelined him for two weeks and he said: "I've got to look more at the week as a whole, I was coming back from an injury that wasn't serious but an elbow injury isn't easy for tennis players.

"I was hitting the ball decent, I think I can definitely get better. You just need to be quite cautious and not do too much too soon because then you take a step back, but I think I've judged it pretty well.

"I need to get my tennis back because that's the most important thing going into Rome and the French Open."

After losing in the final of the Australian Open to Novak Djokovic in January, Murray was beaten by qualifiers in his opening matches in his next two tournaments but reached the semi-final of the Monte Carlo Masters in April before he was beaten on the clay by world number one Rafael Nadal.

Having recovered from his elbow problem the 23-year-old had looked to this tournament to provide further preparation for the clay surface at the French Open, beginning on 22 May, where he has never progressed beyond the quarter-finals.

Murray had two opportunities to take an early grip on the contest in Bellucci's second service game but was unable to take them.

A 20-shot rally led to another break point chance in the fifth game but once again Murray could not find a way through and his frustration was evident, certainly to referee Fergus Murphy, who administered a warning.

Bellucci's powerful groundstrokes were more than a match for Murray, whose last actions of a 51-minute first set were to send a shot long and then hit a backhand tamely wide.

With Bellucci continuing to dominate the centre of the court with his surging forehand, Murray's chances receded rapidly.

The Brazilian was also fearless with his returns and a tired-looking backhand wide of the mark from Murray handed Bellucci a break point in the sixth game.

A Murray forehand looped long and any suggestion that Bellucci might buckle under the pressure of trying to close out the match was swiftly dismissed by a pulsating ace that took him 5-2 ahead and his victory was complete when Murray surrendered serve again.

In the last eight Bellucci will play seventh seed Tomas Berdych, who beat Juan Monaco of Argentina 7-5 6-3.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Djokovic stuns Nadal in Madrid final as Serbian continues incredible run

By Mike Dickson

Last updated at 12:23 PM on 9th May 2011

Novak Djokovic ignited the big new rivalry in tennis and put himself within one tournament of deposing Rafael Nadal as world No 1 when he stunned the clay-court master to win the Mutua Madrid Open.

The 23-year-old Serb ended Nadal’s 37-match winning streak on clay and extended his own remarkable run with a 7-5, 6-4 defeat to silence a partisan crowd of 15,000 at the Caja Magica.

If Djokovic wins this week’s Italian Open and Nadal loses before the weekend, the Australian Open champion could be the first men’s No 1 in more than seven years who is not Roger Federer or the Spaniard.

article-1384907-0BF71F1200000578-526_634x701.jpg Another one for the collection: Novak Djokovic kisses the trophy after his win over Rafael Nadal

The world No 2 has now won 34 matches in a row — 32 this year — and Federer leads the chasing pack with Andy Murray just behind him.

Djokovic’s development of the past six months was on show here and he was ruthless with Nadal’s second serve.

The Serb’s serve was to the fore, but his biggest weapon was his backhand. He broke at 6-5 in the first set with the help of two net cords, and recovered from being a break down in the second to win in 137 minutes. It was his first win over Nadal on clay in nine attempts.

And Djokovic is confident he can also take the Spaniard’s French Open crown.

He said: ‘It is my goal to try to go all the way at Roland Garros and I am definitely setting my form up for that tournament.’

article-0-0BF706F000000578-837_634x458.jpg Finally beaten: Rafael Nadal's clay court run was ended by Novak Djokovic

Gladiator Andy: Murray produces stunning form on clay to crush Potito Starace

By Mike Dickson

Last updated at 11:15 PM on 12th May 2011

Andy Murray rendered the Roman crowd as speechless as the marble statues that surrounded his court when he produced his best victory since Melbourne to reach the quarter-finals of the Italian Open.

Talk of a top-four player struggling here will relate instead to Roger Federer, who was ousted 7-4 in a deciding tiebreak by France’s Richard Gasquet in the third round.

While the great Swiss had to contemplate his first failure to reach the last eight in any event since this tournament last year, Murray has a late morning meeting with German No 1 Florian Mayer,

ranked 28 in the world.

article-0-0C073CAF00000578-942_634x444.jpg Safe passage: Andy Murray saw off Potito Starace in straight sets

Murray earned his first quarter-final here by defeating top-ranked Italian Potito Starace 6-2, 6-3 with the kind of purposeful display that will have had his recently co-opted coaching consultant Darren Cahill purring in appreciation.

On the stunning, sunken Court Pietrangeli, lined with outsized neo-classical statues that Mussolini ordered to be built in 1934, the locals could only admire the gladiatorial quality of the visitor.

Murray reminded everyone what he is capable of when he caused serious discomfort to Rafael Nadal in their Monte Carlo Open semi-final last month, but this was in a winning cause.

article-1386448-0C0741C200000578-847_634x336.jpg Outgunned: Potito Starace fell on home turf

Of course, his opponent was not as good on this occasion, but few would have lived with the 23-year-old Scot as he landed more than seven out f 10 first serves and hit his forehand sweetly.

Apart from conceding a break when 3-1 up in the second set, he was near faultless.

For all his post-Australian Open slump, victory would mean Murray has enjoyed the best run-in to the

French Open of his career. He has never before reached two prestigious semi-finals on clay in the same year.

‘I played a couple of sloppy points when I was broken but other than that it was good,’ concluded Murray, who now takes on a slightly unorthodox and crafty opponent.

article-1386448-0C05E91B00000578-651_634x430.jpg Up next: Murray faces Florian Mayer in the last eight following the German's victory over Juan Ignacio Chela

Federer’s consistency in the past 12 months has been some compensation for the lack of major silverware and he was not excessively peturbed by being squeezed ut 4-6, 7-6, 7-6.

Perenially underachieving Frenchman Gasquet is the equal of anyone when his mind is right, but this result will only add to the feeling that Federer cannot close out matches like he used to.

article-1386448-0C07596F00000578-834_634x399.jpg In the shadows: Roger Federer succumbed to Richard Gasquet

Nadal put his near embarrassment of Wednesday behind him when he overcame compatriot Feliciano Lopez 6-4, 6-2 despite a slight fever.

The world No 1 asked for a delay of 15 minutes prior to the match to give himself a late fitness test but reverted to his usual dominant form after coming close to losing to Paolo Lorenzi in the second

round.

Murray to face red-hot Djokovic for place in Rome final after gutsy fightback

Much has happened since Andy Murray met Novak Djokovic on a balmy night in Melbourne on January 30, a match which represented a significant fork in the road for these direct contemporaries.

The Serb’s crushing straight-sets win in the Australian Open final gave him such a charge that, 28 matches later, he is still on a winning streak. His victim on that night went into a contrasting funk, for the second year running after going down at Melbourne Park, and is only just recovering now.

article-1386716-0C0AABFE00000578-592_634x426.jpg On the run: Murray is through to the last four after seeing off Mayer in Rome

So there will be some poignancy to their rematch this evening in the semi-final of the Italian Open, which will have a British representative this deep into the tournament for the first time since 1932, when a certain Benito Mussolini was in power.

Murray (below) earned his place with a somewhat peculiar 1-6, 6-1, 6-1 victory over unorthodox German Florian Mayer, while world No 1 elect Djokovic easily beat Robin Soderling last night 6-3, 6-0.

George ‘Pat’ Hughes was the last Brit to do this well in the Eternal City and at last Murray is starting to look, again, like he might have a chance of emulating Hughes’ sometime doubles partner, Fred Perry.

article-1386716-0C0A9B8900000578-587_306x423.jpg Perfect start: But Mayer fell away in the last two sets

In fact, the current British No 1’s two semi-finals in this clay court season mean he will have had his best run-in to the French Open of his career, regardless of tonight’s result.

It seemed an unlikely scenario when he stepped on court at the Monte Carlo Open in mid-April, having lost each of his post-Australia matches in straight sets to inferior opposition.

‘I think I’ve done well considering where I was,’ he said. ‘This is always going to be a hard part of the season for me, I haven’t done as well on this as on other surfaces and I’ve had a niggle with my elbow. Now I feel like it’s been a big turning point of the year.

‘I spent quite a bit of time on my own after Australia, which probably wasn’t the best thing to do. I was trying to find so many things to improve and work on that I probably got away from what I do well.’

He also agonised before dispensing with coaching consultant Alex Corretja and, for now at least, has replaced him with Australian Darren Cahill, whose services are provided by his clothing sponsors.

If Djokovic’s amazing winning sequence — it goes back all the way to December and totals 37 matches in all — is broken tonight, Murray will be fully confirmed as being back among the big beasts.

‘It will be a big test,’ he said. ‘Novak has obviously been playing very, very well, but the way I’ve been hitting the ball most of this week gives me a chance. If I play a first set like today I won’t get away with it.’

On the other side of the draw Rafael Nadal, who faces Richard Gasquet, looked ominously back to form yesterday.

He assured himself of the world No 1 ranking going in to the French Open by hammering Croatia’s Marin Cilic 6-1, 6-3. It was a return to his most punishing form, the handicap of this week’s bout of fever seemingly behind him.

Venus set to join sister Serena and sit out French Open due to ongoing injury problems

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 12:13 PM on 14th May 2011

Venus Williams is set to join her sister Serena in pulling out of the French Open.

Venus, 30, has not played since withdrawing from the Australian Open in January with an hip injury.

article-1387017-0C0CFF2100000578-225_468x328.jpg Hip problem: Venus Williams withdrew from the Australian Open in January

article-1387017-0C073A1600000578-521_306x294.jpg Serena: Fighting fitness battle

The American, who also missed large chunks of last season with a knee problem, returned to training last month but will not be fit to play at Roland Garros.

Serena confirmed on Thursday that she had withdrawn as she continues her fitness battle following a foot injury - which has required two operations - and a blood clot in her lung.

It will be the first time since 2003, when both players were also injured, that neither sister has been at the French Open.

d040.gif

Maria Sharapova claims first title for a year after seeing off Sam Stosur in Rome Masters final

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 7:26 AM on 16th May 2011

Maria Sharapova secured the biggest clay-court title of her career by landing the Internazionali BNL d'Italia with a straight-sets victory over Sam Stosur.

After a three-hour delay due to rain in Rome, Sharapova proved too powerful from the back of the court as she claimed a 6-2, 6-4 win over last year's French Open finalist.

Australian Stosur's serve was broken five times in all as she fell to 0-8 in her career record against the Russian former world number one.

article-0-0C157C1800000578-586_468x307.jpg The march on Rome: A beaming Sharapova celebrates

'I'm so happy to be the champion,' said Sharapova, who recorded her 23rd title.

'It means so much to me to add this title to the ones I already have. Rome is such a special place and I've dreamed of holding up this trophy.

'There are a lot of tournaments coming up, and this is a great start to everything. I can't wait to be back next year.'

The draw for Roland Garros is out Djokobic and Federer on the same side of the draw, tricky first round match for Federer against Feliciano Lopez who had a match point against him in Madrid.

Potential 3rd round match between Djokovic and Del Potro they should be a good one if it happens.

There's a eye candy match for the women's in the first round Julia Goerges vs Mathilde Johanssen.

Historic Heather blooms in Paris as Murray insists he's fighting fit

By Mike Dickson

Last updated at 3:46 AM on 21st May 2011

Before Andy Murray has even embarked on his quest for a French Open or Wimbledon title, something vaguely historic has happened for British tennis.

Guernsey’s Heather Watson, from the opposite end of the kingdom to Murray, celebrated her 19th birthday on Friday by qualifying for the Roland Garros main draw, the reward for winning three preliminary matches.

Her 6-4, 6-4 victory over Switzerland’s Stefanie Voegele meant that, astonishingly, she becomes the first British woman in 28 years to come through qualifying in Paris, the last being Kate Brasher.

article-0-0BF6409500000578-708_634x450.jpg Brit of all right: Heather Watson

She will meet French wildcard Stephanie Foretz, while fellow Briton Elena Baltacha faces US qualifier Sloane Stephens.

World No 4 Murray, who will take on France’s world No 118 Eric Prodon in round one, dispelled any

fears over his fitness following his withdrawal from an exhibition match on Thursday. Any anxieties stemmed from a reaction to some hard sessions in London earlier this week with his coaching consultant Darren Cahill, who will be more focused on his TV duties here.

‘I was just a bit stiff and sore. I trained most of Wednesday and then came over on Eurostar and practised early on Thursday. It was maybe my body telling me to take it easy for a day or two,’ said Murray.

article-0-0C2CFE6800000578-144_306x320.jpg Fighting fit: Andy Murray speaks to reporters on Friday

The British No 1 cannot be unhappy with his draw. In the third round he could tackle this year’s most exciting find Milos Raonic, the 20-year-old Canadian whose powerful serve has helped carry him into the world’s top 30.

Murray’s scheduled semi-final opponent is Rafael Nadal, who has the unusual sensation of arriving at Roland Garros as something other than the clear favourite, in light of Novak Djokovic’s extraordinary form.

Murray has never gone beyond the quarter-finals here and while he looks equipped to go further this time, the clay so often defeats those who were not born to it.

Boris Becker, who is a tennis ambassador for Barclays Ball Kids, is one of the select group who won everything in tennis except the French Open.

Reflecting on his three semi-finals here, he said: ‘Racket and string technology have closed the gap between those who like clay and those who don’t, but there is still this psychological aspect. Eventually you meet someone who is as good as you and they just feel more instinctively comfortable on the surface.’

The gap may have shrunk further this year because the quicker Babolat balls are being used. That could make Nadal’s tricky first round against giant John Isner even less pleasant, while Roger Federer also has a difficult first assignment versus Spain’s Feliciano Lopez.

The women’s draw — which will have three Britons in it — is more wide open than ever, with Caroline

Wozniacki trying to break her Grand Slam duck and world No 2 Kim Clijsters returning after a six-week break for an ankle injury picked up dancing at a cousin’s wedding.

Germany claim record fifth tennis World Team Cup

capt.photo_1306002994809-1-0.jpg?x=400&y=272&q=85&sig=P.mVPLwRaMefRdg__lzcvQ--

AFP/DPA – Germany's Philipp Kohlschreiber celebrates victory in the doubles ATP Team World Cup match in the …

– Sat May 21, 2:37 pm ET

BERLIN (AFP) – Victory in the doubles handed Germany a record fifth World Team Cup title on Saturday as the hosts sealed a 2-1 win over defending champions Argentina in the final in Duesseldorf.

Having lost to Juan Ignacio Chela earlier in the singles, Philipp Kohlschreiber partnered Philipp Petzschner and enjoyed some revenge as the pair earned a 6-3, 7-6 (7/5) win over Chela and Maximo Gonzalez to win the title.

Chela had earlier levelled the scores in the two singles matches with a 6-4, 7-6 (7/4) win over Kohlschreiber to make it all square after Germany's Florian Mayer had earlier sealed a straight-sets 7-6 (7/4), 6-0 win over Juan Monaco.

This was the third time Germany have triumphed over their south American rivals, having also beaten Argentina in the 2005 and 1989 finals.

"This title is very special for us and to play in a team like this is always great fun," beamed Kohlschreiber.

Germany are the first country to capture the team title five times in the tournament?s 34-year history.

"It's always nice to win something in Germany in front of a home crowd, we hope to take this form into the Davis Cup," said Petzschner.

Mayer, ranked 21 in the world, made an emphatic start for Germany as he defeated Monaco in just one hour and 33 minutes.

Victory for Mayer means he will break into the top 20 rankings for the first time on Monday.

"Today I played for the Top 20," he admitted.

"I was extremely motivated and am happy that I achieved my goal.

"The first set was very tough with just a few points being decisive, but the second set was much easier."

This is the first time they have won the team title since 2005 having also captured the title in 1989, 1994 and 1998.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110521/sp_wl_afp/tennisatpger

:dance: