rudy_o

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goerges upset umpire pronounced her last name as ‘gorgeous’

By Chris Chase

goerges_upset_chair_umpire_pronounced_her_last_name_as_gorgeous.jpg

Chair umpire Graeme Jones was mangling the name of German tennis player Julia Goerges at Wimbledon on Thursday, mispronouncing her name in various ways but especially in saying her last name as "gorgeous." It's a joke Goerges has heard many times before. "Julia Gorgeous" they call her, partially because she's attractive but mostly because of the similarity in spelling.

While the crowd tittered at the bungling of the name, Goerges seethed. When a call went against her, she let Jones know it. The world No. 16 loudly confronted the chair umpire in the middle of the match:

"You need glasses. This is the first time you have opened your mouth and it is a call on an over-rule on set point. Also, learn how to pronounce my name properly."

It's pronounced gur-guess (like gurgle).

If we're going to get technical about it, Julia, the chair umpire must have opened his mouth earlier than the overrule on set point or else you wouldn't have known he was mispronouncing your name. How do you explain that fallacy?

Boom, lawyered.

Not that Goerges doesn't have a point. You'd assume that one of the few preparations a chair umpire needs to make, besides bringing Chapstick and remembering to uncross his legs, would be to learn how to pronounce the names of the players. And though Goerges isn't easy to pronounce, once you get it down, it shouldn't be difficult. This wasn't a match between Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova and Anne Keothavong after all.

In the chair umpire's defense, Goerges' name isn't one of the 120 names listed in the pronunciation list in the WTA's media guide. Li Na is on there, as is Maria Sharapova, Ana Ivanovic and Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez (a long name, to be sure, but not one that's particularly difficult to say). No Goerges, though.

Adding to the confusion is that Goerges spells her name with an umlaut -- Görges -- and that's going to throw off anyone not familiar with the German, like the British chair umpire.

So you're from Germany? :wacky: Too bad Petkovic got defeated. I was expecting her to reach at least the quarters. :\

I'm gonna support Doi :snobby: :lol: :P

(I actually think Lisicki will win pretty much easily.)

Go Lisicki! :laugh3:

And what a Djokovic match that was on Saturday!!! :stunned:

hey, i'm sort of new to this site so sorry to butt in on your conversation but i can't help myself :P

i can't believe that Bernard Tomic is into the quarters but in my opinion, he's just had a really lucky draw. Davydenko is rarely consistent on grass, his match against andreev was admitedly extremely good, like someone said, soderling had food poisoning and malisse basically lost his mind mid way through the second set.

Since i'm australian i really want Tomic to do well but i think his time is up because both djokovic and llodra have really hard hitting games.

I really hope federer wins this year though. He's a legend!!

What are your predictions for the final?

What a great day in Wimbledon! Williams sisters got crushed, heh :smartass: :P

And Wozniacki too, I bet she must be really mad at herself because she was very close to win the match but she missed a lot of opportunities.

I really hope federer wins this year though. He's a legend!!

:awesome: I'm starting to like you already :cheesy: :P

Well, I'd say Federer/Djokovic vs Nadal, it's pretty much predictable...

i can't believe that Bernard Tomic is into the quarters but in my opinion, he's just had a really lucky draw. Davydenko is rarely consistent on grass, his match against andreev was admitedly extremely good, like someone said, soderling had food poisoning and malisse basically lost his mind mid way through the second set.

Since i'm australian i really want Tomic to do well but i think his time is up because both djokovic and llodra have really hard hitting games.

If I were in your shoes, I would be delighted to see such a young Aussie reaching the quarter-finals. Only Borg, Becker and McEnroe were younger quarter-finalists at Wimbledon. That is quite some achievement, whomever he had to beat to get there.

He can be very proud of himself, even if he gets thrashed in the quarters.;)

To quote Paul "Gazza" Gascoigne, "I don't make predictions, and I never will............. ":P

What a great day in Wimbledon! Williams sisters got crushed, heh :smartass: :P

One of the best Wimbledon second Mondays ever! Murray through in straight sets and both Williams brothers sent packing.

Venus, in particular, was given a damn good thrashing, so good riddance to her and that awful outfit of hers.:D

They can't even win the women's doubles this year, as they didn't enter!:cool:

Happy days indeed!

One of the best Wimbledon second Mondays ever! Murray through in straight sets and both Williams brothers sent packing.

Venus, in particular, was given a damn good thrashing, so good riddance to her and that awful outfit of hers.:D

They can't even win the women's doubles this year, as they didn't enter!:cool:

Happy days indeed!

I know right? :awesome:

I read somewhere that as they've failed to reach the semis, hence either one of them will most likely be knocked out of the Top 100. :anxious: What a huge spank :wreck:

I know right? :awesome:

I read somewhere that as they've failed to reach the semis, hence either one of them will most likely be knocked out of the Top 100. :anxious: What a huge spank :wreck:

Serena was being very sarcastic at her post-match conference!:rolleyes:

The great thing is, they can't bully a lot of players like they used to, as the new generation all hit the ball as hard as them!:lol:

Nadal calls another medical time out again :rolleyes:

Match of the day would be Kubot vs Lopez was watching this match right from the start great entertainment both players serving well and Lopez huge mental strength coming back from two sets down, match points down and numerous set points against him.

Manic Monday: Andy Murray through to last eight but Williams sisters and Wozniacki out

By Mike Dickson

Last updated at 1:36 AM on 28th June 2011

Andy Murray stood royally above a day of drama and upsets at Wimbledon as he glided through to the last eight in front of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

Aside from his impressive 7-6, 6-3, 6-2 victory over Richard Gasquet, the second Monday lived up to its manic reputation, with fourth-round defeats for both Williams sisters, women's No 1 Caroline Wozniacki and last year's men's runner-up Tomas Berdych.

article-0-0CC1E9F900000578-897_634x384.jpg Reaching for the stars: Andy Murray was commanding during his victory over Richard Gasquet on Centre Court

British No 1 Murray is on course for a semi-final against Rafael Nadal, although the Spaniard is due today to have an MRI scan to make sure there is no underlying damage to his left ankle.

Nadal had extensive treatment in the first set of a high quality 7-6, 3-6, 7-6, 6-4 win over Juan Martin Del Potro and later said he could not predict if he would recover in time for his quarter-final on Wednesday.

Murray made a theatrical bow to the Royal Box the moment he had finished off what had threatened to be a difficult test in on-court temperatures that hit 40 degrees.

article-0-0CC22D0100000578-344_634x376.jpg Prince charming: Andy Murray bows to the Royal Box, much to the delight of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge (below)

article-0-0CC264B100000578-402_634x393.jpg

He said: 'If it was funny that's fine but I wasn't intending it to be funny, I was just very happy after match point,' said Murray, who plays Spain's Feliciano Lopez tomorrow. 'I was pleased with how I played. I served very well and if I do that I will get chances.

'I've improved in my last two matches and the key is to keep improving.'

With neither Williams sister in the quarter-finals, Maria Sharapova is the favourite. Serena went down 6-3, 7-6 to bubbly French player Marion Bartoli and soon afterwards, for the second year in a row, Venus lost to Tsvetana Pironokova, of Bulgaria, 6-2, 6-3.

article-0-0CC2773200000578-292_306x440.jpg

article-0-0CC22B1000000578-169_312x441.jpg

Crashing out: Sisters Venus (left) and Serena (right) Williams were both beaten

'I didn't think I was coming here to lose but I just think I did well to come back and play tough,' said Serena, who was joined through the exit door by Wozniacki, beaten by Slovakian Dominika Cibulkova.

Berdych was ousted by American Mardy Fish, who now plays Nadal.

article-0-0CC25F8000000578-593_634x421.jpg Major shock: World No 1 Caroline Wozniacki shows her frustration after being beaten by Dominika Cibulkova in the fourth round