✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

18-Feb-09: Coldplay/The Killers - War Child gig, Shepherd's Bush, London (Reviews, Pictures, Videos

Denise

War Child unites

WarChild_la.jpg

The Killers, Coldplay, U2's Bono and Gary Barlow united for an exclusive concert and raised the roof in aid of War Child.

The gig at London's O2 Shepherd's Bush Empire last week, was held in front of just 2,000 very lucky music fans. The event involved a mad dash across the capital for the artists immediately after the evening's Brit Awards.

The gig was staged to celebrate War Child's 15th birthday and the launch of its new album 'Heroes'. Proceeds from the gig and the album will go directly towards our vital work protecting children from the horrors of war.

Beaming artists

Bono said after the event: "War Child's work is vital and being able to have a moment with Brandon and Chris tonight is a salute to an awesome night for them. U2 love Elbow's new version of 'Running To Stand Still' for War Child's 'Heroes' album. They deserve all their success."

Killers frontman Brandon Flowers said: "Tonight was such an honour, it was one of the most exciting gigs we've ever played"

And Coldplay's Chris Martin added: "We couldn't have imagined that we'd make this work. The fact that the money raised from tickets have enabled War Child to extend the reach of their work is astonishing."

Celebrating the charity

War Child is currently celebrating its 15th anniversary and also plans to release a new album, Heroes, on February 16, which will include specially recorded cover versions of popular songs done by Duffy, Elbow, Hot Chip and Lily Allen.

The concept of the album involves legendary acts such as David Bowie choosing tracks from their back catalogue for current artists to sing, with all profits from both the album and the concert going to the charity's ongoing work to protect children in war zones.

Vulnerable children

War Child works with children affected by war in Iraq, Afghanistan, Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda. The charity works with children who have been hit hardest by the joint forces of poverty, conflict and social exclusion.

War Child works with former child soldiers, street children and children in prison has supported and helped thousands who would otherwise not have been able to reintegrate with their community, gain access to education or enjoy sustainable livelihood support.

http://www.gm.tv/index.cfm?articleid=33447

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great to meet you too! hope you weren't too frozed :wreck: and I woudn't have gone to the shop for sandwiches if I'd known they were bringing hotdogs, especially if they all had mustard in which meant more for me :laugh3:

Thanks! I survived thanks to those blankets!:D Some lovely Brits took care of me! :blush: I came without my jacket b/c it wasn't that cold when we arrived at 11:30am, and I was following Mich's example. I didn't know she was so hardcore! :stunned: Just a scarf and she was fine!

But she melts quite easily in Florida weather! :P :hug:

Squee! So happy for you Carol!

Awww, thanks Lori, that's kind.

It was a pleasure meeting you and spending time with you and Kelly, I'm sorry you didn't get to see Jonny afterwards but you're young and you've got lots of time! ;)

Thanks! I survived thanks to those blankets!:D Some lovely Brits took care of me! :blush: I came without my jacket b/c it wasn't that cold when we arrived at 11:30am, and I was following Mich's example. I didn't know she was so hardcore! :stunned: Just a scarf and she was fine!

But she melts quite easily in Florida weather! :P :hug:

I was pretty damn cold... :lol:

Was just saying I wasn't so I didn't look stooopid. :dunce:

And hey when we were in Florida it was like the hottest this country gets EVER :lol: :shame:

Oh and yes please Ian. :D

This time last week we were still queueing....well some of us were :P :drunk:

Sorry, aww I think you look lovely. Do you keep trying to remember who was standing around us when we see youtube clips and figuring out who it was that was filming them?

I hate to see myself on a video! :\

And "Fix You" got me all emotional...

That day I was already overchallenged to be honest :lol:

My field of vision was concentrated on the stage most of the time but I looked around me a few times and saw the people standing behind us...

Maybe it was him:

th_3293103903_757cdc2f25_o.jpg *click*

:laugh3::laugh3: Don't know, but I feel like my head must have been really annoying most of the time! :lol:

The whole concert I didn't really pay attention to what was going on behind me. Even when Chris said "Look here's *insert celebrity name*" I didn't turn around...

Only once during "VLV" though to see how the crowd went crazy doing the "ooooohh's"!

My edited video of "Back for good" is uploaded!!!

I took bello-lo's sound of her video and added it to my video, then it cuts back to my original sound.

(Thanks for your permission!!)

Double-click, watch in high quality and enjoy!! :)

(widescreen ratio)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eayIR6jAHs]Back For Good[/ame]

I did the same with "All these things" and "Viva La Vida" from errette's videos - those are still uploading.

But I can see clearly who Iriden is since I was there when Will kissed you....

Ohhh I think I got who you were, did you have both Viva and Day & Age covers? good to know I was not the only Coldplay fan there, I was feeling a little weird freaking out seeing them and all the other people watching as if they didn't know who they were (which was probably true for some victims) :lol:

Then after the show I went at the back to wait for the artists to come .... When we arrived, we were told that Guy had just left....which was a big disappointment for my friend

Ohh you friend didn't miss too much, I mean it's always a pleasure seeing him but it was really sad the way all the paps were around him and he just run into the car, plus you would have risked of being trampled on by some of them :dozey:

OMG you saw Jonny! :bomb: I had a sinking feeling when we saw cameras flashing back there that it was them leaving. Except Chris. Sigh. We were on the other side and could not get over there fast enough. So, any more details about Jonny? Other than he said Hi? Thanks so much! :D

He was talking with Kelly and that's why I dared not say anything more than Hi, that man scares me :P but it was also because he didn't stop when we greeted him so I really tought it was no the case to bother him :)

He was wearing the strange cap you can see in the backstage pics, in fact I was nearly bursting out laughing when I saw it :lol:

Uhhm I can't think of any other detail, it was all so quick, but strangely enough the paps didn't take any pics of him (or Will for the matter)

Ohhh I think I got who you were, did you have both Viva and Day & Age covers? good to know I was not the only Coldplay fan there, I was feeling a little weird freaking out seeing them and all the other people watching as if they didn't know who they were (which was probably true for some victims) :lol:

Ohh you friend didn't miss too much, I mean it's always a pleasure seeing him but it was really sad the way all the paps were around him and he just run into the car, plus you would have risked of being trampled on by some of them :dozey:

He was talking with Kelly and that's why I dared not say anything more than Hi, that man scares me :P but it was also because he didn't stop when we greeted him so I really tought it was no the case to bother him :)

He was wearing the strange cap you can see in the backstage pics, in fact I was nearly bursting out laughing when I saw it :lol:

Uhhm I can't think of any other detail, it was all so quick, but strangely enough the paps didn't take any pics of him (or Will for the matter)

when Brandon and Dave came out Brandon got hounded by the paps, he had a body guard and all, Dave had nothing and just strolled out behind no problem at all so I was able to say hi and thanks for a great show to him...Brandon was whisked away far too quickly.

My edited video of "Back for good" is uploaded!!!

I took bello-lo's sound of her video and added it to my video, then it cuts back to my original sound.

(Thanks for your permission!!)

Double-click, watch in high quality and enjoy!! :)

(widescreen ratio)

I did the same with "All these things" and "Viva La Vida" from errette's videos - those are still uploading.

Wooh good job, it's brilliant, I just adore Chris's backing vocals!

Awww, thanks Lori, that's kind.

It was a pleasure meeting you and spending time with you and Kelly, I'm sorry you didn't get to see Jonny afterwards but you're young and you've got lots of time! ;)

Haha! You too Carol! Thanks! Yep, I will follow him as long as he is touring! :D

Maybe one day, I will get a recognition smooch from Jonny, like Denise got from Will! :blush:

But he is shy, so maybe not. :P I can dream. I'll be happy with a handshake, or hug, etc etc :wacky:

YouTube - Coldplay - Fix You w/The Killers @ O2 shepherds Bush Empire 18-02-09[/url]

Here's Ian watching with a tiny glimpse of Jen, Anna and me.

Cool! Thanks for sharing!

HEY MICH! Do you see Chloe in this video about 1:23 when she pans over to the balcony? All the way to the right, wearing a gray shirt, next to a blond girl in a black dress? It looks like her. But you would know for sure since you saw with your exceptional vision in person. :D

Oh! Thanks so much Denise! That was lots of Jonny details! Thank you thank you thank you!

:dance: