✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

18-Feb-09: Coldplay/The Killers - War Child gig, Shepherd's Bush, London (Reviews, Pictures, Videos

Denise

Event Review: Coldplay and The Killers

Well the title should pretty much sum it up. Two of the worlds greatest rock band, Coldplay with the Killers, or The Killers with Coldplay, watevas ur cuppa tea. The event was held at Shepards Bush 02 empire, London. Limited to 2000 places only. Before that, howd i manage to go? Wellll, someone dearest to me managed to get FREE tickets for two to the event ; ) So yea, im lucky enough to go. Anywhoo.. Before reading this review i highly suggest reading it while listening to Coldplay or the Killers ; ) , Lets get on with the review guys >>>>>

We got in quite early at 9.30 pm on a Wednesday nite, ( thank God i didnt have tutorials the next day ). It was a charity concert on behalf of WAR CHILD, an organization thats been going on for 15 years helping children in war torn countries. So hats off to them for their effort in making the world a better place. Drop food, not bombs. Waited for an Hour before THE KILLERS came on stage. Lighting was mostly purple and pink and also bright yellow for the Killers act. Fog machine made the awesome light shaft effect that we as photographers are always drooling over to capture. Brandon Flower came on stage beating along to the tunes of SPACEMAN from their new album ,Day and Age. He wore the funny jacket he also wore in the HUMAN music video. Needless to say Brandon was ENERGETIC. He was absolutely superb. The crowed became crazy and started jumping up and down. We were already quite near to the front, about 4-5 human rows from the stage. But the people behind us kept shoving us forward (which was not the fun part) .

img_0148-1024x768.jpg

Next song up was Somebody Told Me, this was obviously a sing along song and everyone sang along. Followed by their songs Human, Mr Brightside, Somebody Told Me, This Is Your Life, Read My Mind and When You Were Young. What? No All The Things Ive Done? This cant be true. Anyway an hour had past, thrilled but still hoping for that last song. Intervals came after that, they had to completely change the equipment setup to accomodate Coldplay, that took a good 20 minutes. We were entertained by a british guy holding a pint in a school outfit, making funny jokes. It was good for the first 10 minutes i guess.

Finally it came, the band everyones been waiting for, or not. Coldplay’s music upon stepping on stage was a musical piece by Beethoven or Mozart. Instantly the band took up their instruments and started rocking to the song Clocks. Chris Martin was wearing a custom military outfit. Again, Coldplay was electrifyingly awesome. Chris Martin put on one of his best performances ever. Flailing around and even falling on his knees singing. Lighting for Coldplays act was mostly bright white moving spotlights, good for photos btw, hehe. Interaction with the audience was very good, everyone sang along to every tune that came out, with Chris making some jokes along the way. Tracks played by them were, Lost!, 42, then Fix You. Fix You was so dramatic as Chris went to play the piano under changing colour spotlight. I remember crying a few times listening to this song, so hearing it live was overwhelming for me, not to mention getting to sing along with the man himself. It was too good to be true.

img_0322-1024x768.jpg

Yellow was next, who doesnt know Yellow right?? Chris’s spectacular performance had something to do with the fact that his wife, Gwenyth Paltrow, was amongst the crowed singing merrily to his songs. He kept looking up at the upper audience platform, we turned around only to see Mrs Martin there ; ) . During the song Yellow, while chanting ” look at the stars, look how they shine for you…and all the things you do…coz it was all yellow..” , Chris obviously dedicated it to his wife, as he was all happy and smiling while looking at his wife. To us in the audience it was absolutely beautiful and sweet ; ) . He also asked the audience to sing Yellow to his wife saying that ” imagine that theres an important X factor Judge in the crowed, so lets try to please her shall we? ” . I cant even describe the feeling here folks ; ).

Last song by Coldplay was In My Place. Then they took off. We, the audience were put off. Why? No VIVA LA VIDA, thats why. SO everyone started humming to the tune of VIVA LA VIDA, haha, they sure as hell came back with an encore. What can i say Viva La Vida is an awesome song, song of the year my friends for you who dont know. Chris told the audience ” this is gonna be the best encore ever,” . True to whats told, one of the members from old boyband Take That, Gary Barlow, came on stage and played the song Back For Good with Coldplay, you’ll know the song when you hear it. And as if that wasnt good enough, they also had another surprise, Coldplay AND the Killers play together in their last song by the Killers, All These Things I’ve Done. What????? All of a sudden BONO form U2 jumps on stage to sing as well! 4 big names on one stage playing the same song! “I’ve got soul but im not a soldier…” were the chants by everyone. It started off with a bang and ended in a big bang. Considered by some as a once in a life time concert. You can see clips of the concert on youtube ; ) btw. Do check it out!!!!

So thats my review on the event, just wanted to share how the event with all my friends out there. ; ) Cheers.

http://lensa.co.uk/2009/02/coldplay-and-the-killers-event-review/

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great pics guys! Thanks!

@Kirsten : ;) you lucky duck :D

Thank you :)

I'm still so very sorry that you couldn't make it ... :cry:

It would have been fantastic, if it was the two of us together.

Anyway, I will watch 'Desperate Housewives' now and continue posting pictures later :)

Still some nice to come! :wink3:

Kirsten - Still not the IMP pic I'm waitng for!!!!

AND I WANT IT HUGE!

Pretty please!

Thanks everybody else for posting these gorgeous pics!

My folder named "Three days of happiness" (The play with James is called "Three days of rain") is growing every minute with all these treats!

Have to go to work now :(

But can't wait to come back and see what else has happened in here! :dance:

:heart:

Coldplay, The Killers, Gary Barlow and Bono unite for Warchild after the Brits - and I was there to get the goss!

Posted by Dean Piper On February 20th, 2009

It’s not often you get to see a once in a lifetime performance. But the Warchild benefit gig at the newly renamed O2 Shepherds Bush Empire was out of this world. Chris Martin and his band Coldplay managed to persuade The Killers, Bono from U2 and Gary Barlow to take to the stage and sing the Killers track All These Things That I’ve Done. It was the ultimate boy band performance – ever.

Before coming back out for an encore Chris Martin told the crowd: “This is going to be the best encore you’ve ever seen.” And he wasn’t wrong…..

Before the all star performance Take That’s Gary came out and sang Back For Good with Coldplay! The audience was celebrity central too! I was just a couple of feet away from Gwyneth Paltrow who sang along to back For Good and bit her lip with excitement when Bono walked on, Sienna Miller and Gemma Arterton danced side by side. Anna Friel and partner David Thewlis looked exceedingly sweaty as they raised their hands and rocked out whilst nearby supermodels Sophie Dahl and Erin O’Connor shook their heads with delight. Courtney Love ran in late on and chatted to The Edge throughout the Coldplay section. It was a truly mind blowing evening!

To see pictures from the mammoth gig click here.

But my evening wasn’t all good! I had a wee run in with Gemma Arterton. I fear she may need to come back down to earth! After being initially lovely at the swanky O2 bash she refused to pose for a picture with me! And told me: “There’s no way I could do a photo with you. Everyone called me fat few weeks ago - and i can’t do anything with magazines like Closer. My publicist would kill me.”

The sad thing is I actually have always liked her and I was thrilled to meet her! And she’s far from fat in real life. Gemma told me she missed the Brits as she was filming in the Isle of Man. “I hopped on a plane to get back to make the Coldplay and Killers gig,” she explained. “I missed the awards but wanted to come out.” Gemma has a bright future - what with Prince of Persia coming out soon - but she needs to remember the mags and sites that have helped her out on the way up – and will continue too!

I watched the Killers perform next to lovely Radio One DJ Edith Bowman who was enjoying a night out to play after giving birth to her first child eight months ago. Edith was over the moon that Girls Aloud won their gong. She said: “Seeing them scrambling up to the stage like excited little girls made the Brits for me this year. It was much deserved.” I couldn’t agree more Edith! It was about time the UK’s biggest pop band got a Brit Award!

http://www.deanpiper.com/index.php/2009/02/20/coldplay-the-killers-gary-barlow-and-bono-unite-for-warchild-after-the-brits-and-i-was-there-to-get-the-goss/

Gary Barlow sustains back injury

:o

_45499265_-108.jpg

Gary Barlow is one of nine celebrities preparing for the climb

Take That star Gary Barlow has injured his back during preparations to climb Mount Kilimanjaro for Comic Relief.

A statement on the band's website says that, due to a "hectic training schedule... the muscles in Gary Barlow's back have gone into spasm". It adds that the singer has been "treated appropriately" and should be able to complete the charity climb.

Radio 1 DJ Chris Moyles and Girls Aloud stars Cheryl Cole and Kimberley Walsh are also taking part in the event. Barlow, 38, has been told to rest until he departs for Africa next week. The celebrity ascent is being carried out to raise money which will go towards Comic Relief's charity projects in the UK and Africa.

Their goal is to raise £1 million, some of which will be used to combat malaria in Tanzania, where Mount Kilimanjaro is situated. The mountain is the continent's highest peak, at 19,330 feet.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7903308.stm

:o

_45499265_-108.jpg

Gary Barlow is one of nine celebrities preparing for the climb

Take That star Gary Barlow has injured his back during preparations to climb Mount Kilimanjaro for Comic Relief.

A statement on the band's website says that, due to a "hectic training schedule... the muscles in Gary Barlow's back have gone into spasm". It adds that the singer has been "treated appropriately" and should be able to complete the charity climb.

Radio 1 DJ Chris Moyles and Girls Aloud stars Cheryl Cole and Kimberley Walsh are also taking part in the event. Barlow, 38, has been told to rest until he departs for Africa next week. The celebrity ascent is being carried out to raise money which will go towards Comic Relief's charity projects in the UK and Africa.

Their goal is to raise £1 million, some of which will be used to combat malaria in Tanzania, where Mount Kilimanjaro is situated. The mountain is the continent's highest peak, at 19,330 feet.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7903308.stm

What did they do to him backstage???? :shocked2: :laugh3:

Thanks everyone for this pics overload, gotta rush now cause I'm going to see Oasis but I promise I'm gonna post some of mine tomorrow since I need to sort them out and crop them a bit :)

@Kirsten: I thought you had just saw Chris coming out, it's great you got to talk to him and how nice of him to stay there with the fans :nice:

Thanks Ian..they're playing in Treviso, near Venice..no front row for me this time, I'm scared of their die-hard fans :uhoh:

enjoy! and I don't blame you, some friends of mine went when they played Maine Road in Manchester. They'd got there early and got to the front, but only managed to stay there for a bout 1 song before security had to pull them out. they were black & blue next day

The Killers, Coldplay, Bono, Take That @ The O2 Shepherd's Bush Empire 2.18.09

I've tried to stay level-headed about the things that happen while I'm traveling with the Killers. It's a mixture of wanting to hide my age, appear more cool than I am, and not let any of it go to my head.

But, seriously, last night was pretty freakin' rad.

After the Brit Awards, the War Child Benefit was held at Shepherd's Bush Empire in West London. The Killers and Coldplay were scheduled to play mini-sets and it seems they brought the best out of each other. The Killers played like I've never seen them play before, so full of energy, like fighters trying to knock their opponent out in the first round. Watching Coldplay was exciting for me, as it seemed to be playing in the background all through my high school and college years. Chris Martin's spastic energy was in full effect, every gyration impeccably timed, every witticism perfectly executed to encourage maximum rapport with the crowd.

At the end of the night, the two bands merged to play "All These Things That I've Done" with the king himself, Bono, gracing us with his voice as well as Gary Barlow from Take That (Britain's Backstreet Boys). I hurried to take over the keyboard part from Brandon on Chris Martin's piano, seconds after thinking that I was going to be looking like quite the asshole standing around onstage with these megastars. I can't wait to see the YouTube footage, the whole night being such a welcome thrill.

IMG_8298.JPG

IMG_8305.JPG

warchi34.JPG

Afterwards, all of U2 was hanging around, Ian McCulloch from Echo & the Bunnymen, Natalie Imbruglia, and a very, very tall, very, very beautiful Gwyneth Paltrow. I still don't know what to do in those situations, besides drink, but I toasted to Dublin with Bono and that's one step enough away from typical social awkwardness for one night.

Dublin today, about to go for a walk around town. Guinness Brewery? Jameson Distillery? MAGNER'S DISTILLERY?

posted by Ray on Thursday, February 19, 2009

http://www.sddialedin.com/2009/02/killers-coldplay-bono-take-that-o2.html

Coldplay's Chris Martin is Troubled

"It’s been s***" were the three words Coldplay’s Chris Martin used to sum up his BRITs experience.

On stage at the War Child concert at the renamed O2 Shepherd’s Bush Empire, the Trouble star was upfront about the disappointment of walking away from the bash earlier in the evening without a single gong – despite being nominated four times.

One thing that did help to cheer him up was the chance to sing alongside Gary Barlow.

Introducing Gary and describing Take That as "Comeback Kings", Chris said: "Been to the BRITs – didn’t get any awards. It’s been s*** quite frankly, but it’s about to get better."

And there to watch was wife Gwyneth Paltrow, who stood in the audience merrily singing along to the band’s hits Fix You and Yellow. As soon as Coldplay’s set was over, Gwyneth joined her hubby backstage where the couple schmoozed with Bono, The Killers, Natalie Imbruglia and Pet Shop Boy Neil Tennant, shunning the main party in the VIP bar. But it wasn’t a totally rock’n’roll night, as theBuzz can reveal that, backstage, the bands were dining on fresh fruit and Warburtons bread.

A source told us: "The lads requested six cases of Volvic, 36 bottles of Beck’s, fresh fruit, four pints of semi-skimmed milk and Warburtons bread. It was all very respectable."

Also at the gig were Louis Walsh, Bond girl Gemma Arterton, Sienna Miller, Coco Sumner, Anna Friel, Sophie Dahl and Jamie Cullum.

We spied Natalie Imbruglia on her feet dancing enthusiastically throughout The Killers’ set, while rock chick Courtney Love spent most of the evening trying to sneak a fag in the ladies’ toilets. A source said: "Staff had to give her a telling off."

As for the concert, she said: "Fix You always makes me cry, but Chris is a funny guy. He had me wetting my pants when I was talking to him backstage."

Er... thanks for the compliment?

- Luke Blackall with Kala Paul-Worika and Ashleigh Rainbird

http://thelondonpaper.typepad.com/thelondonblog/2009/02/coldplays-chris-martin-is-troubled.html

Review: Coldplay and The Killers

The BRIT awards are known for their collaborations, but the best hook up of the night happened hours after the Earls Court bash had ended.

It was an audacious move to stage a charity benefit on the biggest night of the musical calendar, but ensuring your headliners were two A-list artists made the night world class. Add Gary Barlow and Bono and the evening takes a turn for the surreal.

Coldplay and The Killers played great if standard sets in support of War Child (a charity for children in war torn countries). Chris Martin and Brandon Flowers were equally matched: both fell to their knees twice, Flowers traipsed over the monitors, Martin twirled. But it wasn’t till Coldplay returned for their encore (1.30am) that things got interesting.

“This is going to be the best encore you’ve seen in your life” said Martin before breaking into Viva La Vida, but as that song finished with Neil Tennant conducting the ‘wooh’s’ from the V.I.P dress circle, on came Gary Barlow.

We'd been expecting this, but nothing could prepare for the amazing weirdness of seeing the Take That frontman sing Back For Good with Coldplay as his backing band and Chris Martin (good, but no Mark Owen) providing harmonies. It was well worth staying up to the wee hours for, and that was before Bono entered stage right.

For the last song of the evening The Killers came back and, with help from Coldplay, started bashing out rousing early single All These Things That I’ve Done, with Bono bouncing on to join in. Very strange to see the two bands who've had the most success ripping U2 off, all on the same stage as Bono - oh and Gary popped back, which was nice. If Warchild make this an annual event, it could soon become one of the most anticipated dates of the year, with or without the BRITs. ends

http://thelondonpaper.typepad.com/thelondonblog/2009/02/review-coldplay-and-the-killers.html