✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

13-Jul-09: Shoreline Amphitheater, San Francisco, CA - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews, Setlists

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinline:

After listening and watching the video more, I think "42" deserves a place in the top 5. Chris' vocals are awesome, and when the fast part of the song starts, Chris gets up from the piano and begins dancing furiously to the music before he picks up his guitar for the "Well, you might be a ghost" part of the song. There was one clip that showed Chris' moves clearly, but I can't find the clip now. I will post it when I do. It is one of the best examples of Chris remarkable dancing skills and his excellent physical conditioning. I'd love to know his workout/exercise routine. Once he said he gets up at 4 AM and does the Chuck Norris workout but I think he was joking because he was on tour and he most likely would not rise at 4 AM the morning after a concert ... though the latest video of him "Strawberry Swing" does protray him as Superman!!!

http://www.coldplay.com/videostrawberry.php

My only complaint about this video is that he's way to small -- there are not enough close ups!

Starfish42

Coldplay = Love

I'm so glad I'm not alone! I felt depressed a few days after the concerts (I went to both.) It was a little like the feeling when you have a good friend who leaves suddenly, and you know they won't be back for a few years. When I watch some of the clips, tears come to my eyes, because I remember what it was like to actually see them. Now, the whole experience seems unreal and I would like to see them again. I had to get ahold of myself because I don't like feeling sad. It's just a foible of the mind. I still can watch videos of the concert and, as you said, listen and sing along to the CD! I don't think Chris would want me to feel sad, so I will try not to.

This feeling of separation reminds me of these lyrics to Strawberry Swing:

People leaving all the time

Inside a perfectly straight line

Don't you wanna curve away

It's such

It's such a perfect day

It's such a perfect day

Now the sky could be blue

I don't mind

Without you it's a waste of time

Could be blue

I don't mind

Could be blue,

could be grey

without you I'm just miles away

Could be blue

I don't mind

I loved hearing Chris sing that song!

I'm also with you on wanting to hear them sing more from X&Y. I was disappointed that they didn't sing "Speed of Sound," my favorite pre-Vida song. Square One is another song that would have been powerful to hear. From Vida, I would have liked them to sing "Chinese Sleep Chant" which they have sung at other concerts, and would have been awesome to hear live. It is a very invigorating song, although the lyrics say, "Sleep, satisfied."

This was my first Coldplay concert. Chris Martin and Coldplay confirmed everything I had thought and felt about them. They lived up to my every expectation, and Chris is even more beautiful in person than on the screen.

Starfish42

Coldplay = Love

this was also MY first concert of Coldplay, though i had wanted to see them since i was like 12 but my parents never took me, so i had to wait till now that im over 18 to go. really sucks because the concert was AMAZING and like you said they lived to my expectations. it just makes me sad that i could have enjoyed them at an earlier time which was also a time when i think since they werent as popular, there would have been more real fans and less JUST- VIVAfans. for example my sister who went with me told me that this lady left right after Viva La Vida cuz i guess thats all she wanted to hear. i cant believe that! a real fan would have appreciated those seats, it just makes me mad!

i LOVED when he sang strawberry swing cuz the whole day i was just thinking "its such a perfect day" and when i finally heard it live i just truly felt like it WAS a perfect day. i have never heard the chinese sleep chant so it would have been cool to have heard them play that. and yes it is true chris is even more beautiful in person, i could not believe they were so close! i felt like shoutiing something cool but i couldnt find my voice cuz i was just in shock and awe that i was finally seeing my favorite band in the world right in front of me!

this is what is causing my depression, all the waiting for the show that turned out be so amazing and its now over.:cry:

Here's my full Coldplay review (I wrote it up for the contest on here), it's a little wordy, but very detailed :lol::

The Webster Dictionary defines euphoria as "a feeling of happiness, confidence, or well-being, sometimes exaggerated in pathological states as mania". Euphoria can be different for everyone. To some, euphoria is winning your final soccer match and making it to the national championships. Euphoria is getting your prized painting entered into a gallery contest; watching a loved one get married. Euphoria is falling in love or going to Paris. Euphoria is making your first TV appearance. Euphoria is having the time of your life at a concert put on by a band you love.

I arrived at the Shoreline Amphitheatre at 6:16 PM, but the euphoria kicked in way before that. I decided to entertain myself during the opening acts by playing "I Spy" with the roadies- and I was able to discover 8 of them.

At exactly 9 PM, after sitting through boiling hot sun and mosquitos for three hours, my heart began to flutter. I heard the opening notes of Strauss's "The Blue Danube", and I knew that four incredible people would be on the stage in front of me in just minutes, playing the chords and notes of "Life In Technicolor".

From there, time moved way too quickly. After the incredible opening song ended with a bang and revealed a split second moment of silence, Chris Martin started up again, belting out the lyrics to "Violet Hill" and sounding like he was thoroughly enjoying himself. After "Violet Hill" came "Clocks", a classic that was set to fancy laser shows and bright red lights. The crowd knew every word, and things were seeming more spectacular by the minute.

Euphoria was at it's highest (or so I thought) when Will Champion started banging on the drums for "In My Place". Chris, who seemed just about as euphoric as I was at this point, decided to show off his signature moves on the catwalk, and stumbled halfway into the crowd while doing so. I wasn't sure whether I should have laughed at his silly somersaults and backwards rolls, or screamed at the fact that he was so damn close to me. But before I could make up my mind, he collapsed in a heap on the stage (while simultaneously singing the opening words of "Glass of Water").

And then came "Yellow"! The band put on what seemed like an entire separate show for just that one song, complete with gigantic yellow balloons, singing lessons for the crowd, and multiple showers of yellow confetti.

"42"'s magical repeating lyrics had an audience who had never heard the song before chanting along, and "Cemeteries of London" brought humor to the show when Chris decided to play around with the lyrics for the enjoyment of the audience. And then, finally, came one of the most cliche but beautiful moments of the show-- "Fix You". Chris started out on his own, until Jonny, Guy, and Will eventually joined in. As the song came to it's climax, Chris paused and let the crowd fill in the gaps he left in the lyrics. Even the people behind me, who had been sitting down for the whole concert, stood up and joined in.

After "Fix You" was "Strawberry Swing", which was upbeat, beautiful, and felt perfect with the warm Californian air. "Strawberry Swing" was about halfway through, when I felt someone bump me and turned around to see that the security guards next to me were carefully stringing caution tape all along the aisle. My mind automatically jumped to the conclusion that someone had passed out or fainted nearby, until I put two and two together when I saw Hoppy, a roadie, run past me with a mic stand. It was just as "Strawberry Swing" was ending when I realized that Coldplay would be running up the aisle inches away from me on their way to play their intimate B-Stage set. And this is when the euphoria became mania. Every light on the stage went off, and I had just seconds to position myself next to the caution tape alongside me before Jonny, Will, and Guy came bounding past me.

Even though they were there and gone in a split second, time seemed to be in slow-motion as I reached out and gave Jonny Buckland a hi-five, and as I reached out and did the same to Will Champion. And then, 3 slow seconds later came Chris Martin, bounding past me, microphone in hand. Time was still moving wonderfully slowly as I reached out for a third time and grabbed Chris's upper arm. And then it was over. When I looked up, the band was playing a beautiful, techno-esque remix of "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face", with Chris pounding away at the piano. After the song finished, Guy, Will, and Jonny disappeared from the stage, but Chris remained to play us "The Hardest Part".

Quiet transitioned to loud and stirring when "Viva la Vida" started. Chris grabbed the microphone, hopped off the B-Stage, and ran right through the crowd (and right past me) to join the other three members of the band down on the regular stage, singing "I used to rule the world!" as happy fans reached out to touch him. "Viva la Vida" was rousing and exciting, and everyone sang as loudly as they could when we were directed to "oooh-ooh-oooh". After the last "oohs" faded away, Coldplay played one more song down on the regular stage ("Lost!"), before heading up to give their fans on the lawn a special treat. "Green Eyes" was chillingly beautiful, and afterward Chris handed the microphone to Will, and let him belt out the lyrics to "Death Will Never Conquer".

Perhaps one of the best moments of the night was when Chris announced that they'd be playing a song that was better than anything they could ever write. I don't think anyone was really expecting a Michael Jackson song to be covered at a Coldplay concert, but the crowd was happily surprised when "Billie Jean" started up, and most people began dancing and singing as a tribute to the King of Pop.

As soon as the spotlights on the lawn went off, the audience went crazy. Everyone was trying to locate Coldplay, and some people thought the show was over and began to trail out. After a good seven minutes, the band reappeared down on the regular stage, flashing strobe lights, banging drums, and milking "Politik" for all it was worth.

And then came the moment that everyone who knew anything about Coldplay and their 2008/2009 Viva la Vida tour was waiting for. "Lovers in Japan" started up, and within minutes the entire amphitheatre was covered in little paper butterflies. And they just kept coming. The confetti rained down, Chris ran around waving a Japanese parasol, and every member of the audience had their hands to the sky, trying their hardest to catch hundreds of little phosphorescent strips of paper. As abruptly as "Lovers in Japan" started it finished, but the butterflies still rained down during "Death And All His Friends".

Even though at this point the stage went dark and roadies started to appear, packing up all the instruments, the crowd was relentless and stayed seated. Soon a chant for Coldplay could be heard, and everyone who wasn't chanting was on their feet screaming. And, in no time, Chris appeared at his piano, saying a few words to the crowd and mentioning the live CD that could be picked up at the exit.

Two more songs were played for the encore; "The Scientist", which had people swaying back and forth, eyes closed, and "Life in Technicolor ii", the sequel to the song that opened the show. Chris, Will, Guy, and Jonny put every part of their hearts into making "Life in Technicolor ii" as epic as they could. I watched Coldplay bow as they finished the song, and, filled with a feeling way beyond euphoria, I tried to think of a better way for such a magical night to end. And, quite simply, I couldn't.

Feel free to vote for me! http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59754 :nice: :P

Sharing the same space with Coldplay

I'm right there with you on the post concert depression. My sister and I just keep saying we wish we could see just one more, oh heck I wish I could see bout 4 more to be honest. Its just so nice to be in the same space with the bands who's music makes your day brighter.

You expressed it perfectly! Coldplay's music has inspired and uplifted me over the past year, carrying me through the hard spots of my life. Seeing them in person was a way to share their space, to feel the influence of their stars (auras) in a direct way, a very powerful and awe-inspiring experience. Living the "normal" reality will always seem bland in comparison to "sharing the same space with the band whose music makes your day brighter." Thank you for expressing that so eloquently!

Speaking of auras, did you notice the halos around them during their performance of Billie Jean, with Will's being distinctive and Chris' being noticeably expansive?

"The hollowist of halos is no halo at all..."

Starfish42

Coldplay = Love

Strawberryfields, thanks for posting your review with many details of the concert. It reminds me that I need to do the same before time erases the memories. I hope to have my concert experience to share with everyone very soon. Thank you, again!

What impresses me most is the extraordinary amount of love between Coldplay and its fans. It was a very gentle crowd and I didn't see any problems despite the fact that 23,000 people were gathered in one place. The only negative I heard about was unrelated to Coldplay -- getting out of the parking lot!

Starfish42

Coldplay = Love

yup there is a lot of coldplay love out there

i think thats part of the reason why the show was awesome, cuz the band loves their fans and we obviously love them! and you can actually feel the love at the concert.

they are the best band in the world. theres nothing else to it!

one of the highlights for me was when they played politik cuz when i heard that song on the cd i had always wished to hear it live because i knew it was going to be a powerful experience, and it was! i sang my heart out for that one! favorite line in the song "..give me love over, love over this"

keep writing more reviews! everytime i read one, its like im reliving the experience and i remember a little more each time.

yup there is a lot of coldplay love out there

i think thats part of the reason why the show was awesome, cuz the band loves their fans and we obviously love them! and you can actually feel the love at the concert.

they are the best band in the world. theres nothing else to it!

one of the highlights for me was when they played politik cuz when i heard that song on the cd i had always wished to hear it live because i knew it was going to be a powerful experience, and it was! i sang my heart out for that one! favorite line in the song "..give me love over, love over this"

keep writing more reviews! everytime i read one, its like im reliving the experience and i remember a little more each time.

I totally agree with you, I could feel the love and I can hear it in the recordings when the crowd cheers and sings along. I think that is why listening to them often makes my eyes water. I feel choked up with the feeling of love. I also can often hear love in Jonny's guitar riffs. I think Jonny is often expressing his love for Chris in his guitar playing. When the guitar kicks in during the second half of DAAHF, I feel an emotion in my heart and my eyes well up. It is a sad feeling of love. In LIT, I think Guy is expressing his love in his playing of the hammered dulcimer. It is recording during the concert, but the video clip from the EMI studio shows Guy playing it. The way it playfully dances in LIT is one of the sweetest sounds I've ever heard and also brings tears because it is so beautiful.

Tonight, I enqued all my songs in my Coldplay folder, 847 of them into Winamp and have them playing randomly, including some interviews. It is a Coldplay evening for my while I clean some 20 fish (sandabs) I bought today! It makes the unpleasant task seem enjoyable.

Finally, seeing Coldplay perform Politik was an awesome, enlightening experience for me. I was exhilarated when the bright lights came on and flashed during the "Open up you eyes" refrain. I was so excited that I was jumping up as high as I could, throwing my fist into the air, and singing along like a total groupie! I loved how the song alternates between a soft, quiet prayer to an adamant, almost angry tone, telling people to wake up, be sincere, and to stop being phonies. I myself loathe phonies and Politiks!

Starfish42

Coldplay = Love

Politik is one of my all time favorite coldplay songs cuz of that mixture of slow and powerful sounds. it still gives me chills, reminds me of when i heard clocks for the first time on the radio and i thought to myself " i have never heard something more beautiful than this"

its great to have a place like this to express how we feel about coldplay and knowing we all feel the same about them.

coldplay has a way of making your day better, they have had such a big influence on me, if i were to meet them i wouldnt be able to exlplain how much they mean to me so i'd probably start crying. that would be kinda embarassing though

how do you have 847 coldplay tracks? i think i barely have 87 and i know i dont have all the b-sides but where are those 400 other ones?

Politik is one of my all time favorite coldplay songs cuz of that mixture of slow and powerful sounds. it still gives me chills, reminds me of when i heard clocks for the first time on the radio and i thought to myself " i have never heard something more beautiful than this"

its great to have a place like this to express how we feel about coldplay and knowing we all feel the same about them.

coldplay has a way of making your day better, they have had such a big influence on me, if i were to meet them i wouldnt be able to exlplain how much they mean to me so i'd probably start crying. that would be kinda embarassing though

how do you have 847 coldplay tracks? i think i barely have 87 and i know i dont have all the b-sides but where are those 400 other ones?

Wow, when I entered the SYNC contest to win a meet and greet, I felt the same concern, that if I ever met them, I could not express what they have meant to me and I'd be tongue-tied and embarrassed! Many of us fans do feel and think the same things!

I have many interview clips, songs and albums as well as concert clips. There are many duplicates of the songs themselves. I love the interviews because it gives Chris a chance to express his character, which I love.

Starfish42

Coldplay = Love

B stage video

Here they are finally!!!! my computer went retarded, so my wife cut the video on her computer first. thats us in part 1, sorry for all the giggling like a little girl, so exciting!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5nshrBLwOo]YouTube - Coldplay B-Stage Part 1- 13 july 2009 at the Shoreline amphitheatre[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3ceMZwM9dw]YouTube - Coldplay B-Stage Part 2- 13 july 2009 at the Shoreline amphitheatre[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ_nK7IuylA]YouTube - Coldplay B-Stage Part 3- 13 july 2009 at the Shoreline amphitheatre[/ame]

OMG!!

my sister watched coldplay live near with her seat (actually she stands up at that time :P)

you can check on my facebook if you have already added me in the video part.... she took 6 videos of coldplay!!!!

Sad that Coldplay is winding down its U.S. tour - missing them already

I looked on LiveNation today. It is sad that Coldplay's tour is winding down now, with the last show Sunday 08/09/09 at 7:00 PM, at the Ford Amphitheatre in Tampa, FL. That's only 11 days from today! How time flies! Then Coldplay will tour Europe for a few weeks, with the last show of the Viva La Vida tour at Wembley Stadium, England in September. I wonder how one gets tickets to that show? I know that TheAngie, a true die-hard Coldplay fan, is going to that last show.

I'm posting a copy of Austingirlmusicguide's review of the Texas shows here because it is too good to be missed. I hope it is as interesting -- fascinating is a better word -- to all of the true Coldplay fans of this forum as it was to me. For the original review and for links to her Coldplay videos, her blog is found at:

http://austingirlmusicguide.wordpres...uston-721-722/

CONCERT REVIEW: COLDPLAY (DALLAS/HOUSTON 7/21-7/22)

July 25, 2009, 4:42 pm

41-chris-piano.jpg?w=420&h=300

The very first time I listened to Coldplay was in December 2005 and coincidentally enough, it was at a simulcast of their taping of Austin City Limits. At the time, my husband became privy to the knowledge that Michael Stipe was going to be making a guest appearance during Coldplay’s set and worked quickly to secure us two tickets to the spare seating that had been set up in a nearby auditorium on the UT campus (the demand for tickets was so high, they filled up the ACL studio and the entire auditorium). It’s funny to think about now, but I couldn’t have cared in the least that Coldplay was going to perform; I literally only wanted to see Michael Stipe. I owned no Coldplay albums and was really only familiar with “Clocks” from the radio and “Speed of Sound” from its video. I vividly remembered reading an interview with Chris Martin from years earlier before the release of A Rush of Blood to the Head (2002), where he claimed that he was afraid that he wouldn’t be able to write anything as good as “Yellow” ever again. That being during my grunge rock phase, I thought it was one of the most ridiculous things I’d ever heard. How much things can change…

My husband and I got set up with the free beers they use to lubricate the audience for ACL and waited for the show to begin. Coldplay started their set and pretty much immediately, we were both won over. What they show on television now is only a fraction of what they played that night; they played a full concert, nearly two hours of music, hitting a variety of songs from their three albums that had been released up to that point. I remember Chris being very charming; he was talkative, funny, and smart, and engaging with the small studio audience, wandering off the stage to high-five mayor Will Wynn much to the chagrin of the cameramen attempting to follow him. Of course, the highlight for me was when Michael Stipe came out and they played “In The Sun” and “Nightswimming”, but I specifically remember Coldplay’s performances of “Clocks” and “Talk” as well. After the final encore, Chris came back out and played “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas” solo on the piano and that sealed the deal. I was thoroughly impressed.

I had seen Coldplay twice since then, once during the X&Y tour in early 2006, and once last year in November at the onset of the Viva tour. While both of those concerts were great, I was in no way prepared for how far they have come as a band in concert in the past eight months, and was blown away by the sheer spectacle of the show in both Dallas and Houston last week. It was a rare treat to see a huge band in a relatively small outdoor arena, and Coldplay goes to extremes to make sure all of the audience feels included. The main stage itself is impressive with the “magic balls” that project light and distorted images, their amazing laser light shows, and intricate backdrops, but the band also makes two trips off stage. First they play some techno-d up and highly danceable versions of “God Put A Smile Upon Your Face” and “Talk”, followed by Chris on piano playing “Trouble” in Dallas during an impromptu setlist change, and then “The Hardest Part” in Houston. During their second trip into the audience, even closer to the lawn this time, they play a fun and jaunty acoustic set that includes drummer Will Champion singing on “Death Will Never Conquer” while Chris and guitarist Jonny Buckland dance merrily, and a crack version of Michael Jackson’s “Billie Jean” where Chris hits some killer falsetto notes and Jonny and Will provide excellent guitar riffs.

In Dallas, we were lucky enough to be at the front of the pit, so we really got to see some of the inner workings of the show and it’s clear that Coldplay works very hard at their jobs. From the very second the concert starts, with the dancing roadie and “Blue Danube” intro, the show is dramatic, finding the band coming out in silhoutte behind a screen waving sparklers before starting the first number, the instrumental version of “Life in Technicolor”. The set is two hours long, and it’s nearly non-stop, with only two short breaks, and the setlist itself is full of their most interesting tracks, enormous crowd-pleasers and rock numbers alike. Every member of the band is a key to the puzzle; we got to witness the knowing eye contacts and silent cues they’d give each other and it’s totally gratifying to see that they’re in synch like clockwork. Will drums like a machine, literally carrying the beat and turning out unbelievable performances during “Viva la Vida” and “Politik”, bassist Guy Berryman is steady and self-assured on his instrument, and Jonny completely rocks out during songs like “42″ and makes guitar lines like the one in “Strawberry Swing” look effortless and easy.

As a frontman, Chris is confident and affable; he comes across as down-to-earth and genuinely absorbed in entertaining the audience. His voice for both shows was in top form, transitioning between high and low notes smoothly. His musical skills are also highly admirable, especially his piano playing, which has become more classically influenced over the years with lovely numbers like “Postcards From Far Away”. He switches back and forth between piano, guitar, and manning the mic throughout the show, and does it all with boundless energy; running, jumping, and dancing, and whether it’s goofy or inspired, it’s always captivating.

36-chris-finger.jpg?w=420&h=589

Despite sitting in the back of the left side of the arena in Houston, I actually thought the Houston show was marginally better than the Dallas one. The crowd seemed to be a lot more lively in Houston, and the band responded well to that. All told, there isn’t much the band could do to improve; they’re performing at their absolute best each night, and that combined with all the other fantastic elements of their show – witty stage banter, falling neon butterflies, confetti filled yellow balloons, and silly fun like the orchestrated cell phone wave – make Coldplay’s concerts immensely exhilarating.

My long anecdote at the intro is the beginning of the story of how Coldplay became one of my all-time favorite bands. But that night was also sort of an important turning point for me musically. I was stuck in this weird in-between stage of musical taste; I’d been all Bob Marley’d out during college, and yet, I hadn’t discovered any new music for years because I hated the radio. I rarely ever listened to music at all. Seeing Coldplay live the first time reinvigorated my interest and passion for music; they’re are a huge part of the reason why I’ve gone so far as to have a music blog. Seeing them in Dallas and Houston during this tour was just icing on the cake.

Enjoy some more of my Dallas pictures here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/austingirl.mg/ColdplayDallas721?feat=embedwebsite#

Coldplay – Dallas (7/21)

ColdplayDallas721.jpg

More to come later and hopefully, video too.

Austingirl, I could not agree with you more.

Starfish42

Coldplay = Love

I have found some of THE best clips of a live concert that I've ever seen, some of which are in HD, no less. This is a link to her channel on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/austingirlmusicguide

She has a blog of her Coldplay experience at http://austingirlmusicguide.wordpress.com/

Starfish42

Coldplay = Love

that vid is great...thanks for the link.

I love how life in technicolor II starts (and the escapist), it really builds anticipation for Chris's vocals.

• 2 weeks later...