🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

23-Mar-09: Singapore Indoor Stadium, Singapore - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews, Setlists, Phot

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh hrms. I'm really not a big enough fan yet.

don't worry...i wouldn't call myself a hardcore fan either. i can't even settle on a firm fave among the guys in Coldplay (i think all of them are great! haha).

i'm just anal about what's in my music CD collection. e.g. : when i realised i'd somehow gotten a crack on the cover of my copy of A Rush Of Blood To The Head, i ended up scouring my entire room for a decent CD case to scavenge the cover off...just cos i didn't want any of my favourite music CDs to have a crack on the jewel case. :P

yeah!!

a colleague of mine said his friend was right behind them then. Something about touching Chris...

:o

hmmm....was said friend them 2 guys i saw on the big screens who kept jumping up & down enthusiastically the entire time the band were playing there? they were like just right behind the guys...hehe

Been slightly over a week since the concert, only 1304912141214 more weeks till we might see them again.

Really random, i just realized this but on the youtube video for Fix You that's posted on the first page towards the end when the person pans to the crowd i'm pretty darn sure that i can see a silhouette of myself for a split second. :lol:

I know it's a little late for me to post this review, but I only stumbled upon it today...

A concert worth every superlative

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

My editor groaned when he found out that I was going to be the one reviewing Monday night’s Coldplay concert at the Singapore Indoor Stadium. Something about me listening to Viva la Vida on loop 154 times and how it’ll result in an extremely biased concert review dripping with blind Chris Martin love and gushing superfluous adjectives proclaiming the band’s ascending rock-god status, undeniable stage presence and lyrical perfection.

He was right. But now I have more than 10,000 other witnesses who, judging from their contented faces after a value-for-money two-hour show, will be more than willing to back up my gush.

Forget all the mudslinging criticism about their radio-friendly whine rock, blatant U2 and Radiohead ripoffs, Hollywood wives and naming of children after fruit. None of it matters once Coldplay takes to the stage.

For their third outing in Singapore, the band pulled out all the Big Rock Band trappings – massive video screens, a rainbow of lasers, giant orbs displaying dizzying images, bursts of neon confetti and two runways allowing the band to get up close and personal with their fans. But the Brit quartet still managed to tirelessly deliver their old and new hits – Clocks, In My Place, Yellow, Fix You, The Scientist – in an unexpectedly intimate manner.

Much of that credit belongs to the impossibly charming frontman Martin, whose deft piano skills and drunken schoolboy trance-like dancing proved strangely riveting as he seamlessly moved from guitar to piano to vocals and back. The crowd-pleaser did and said all the right things, much to the joy of the sold out crowd who lapped up lines like “ Singapore ... You guys are right now ranking amongst one of the very top audiences we’ve ever played for” and “You guys know how grateful we are to get to play for 10,000 people right here in Singapore. Thank you so much for coming out on a Monday night”.

Couple that with incorporating “Singapore” into their song lyrics several times and performing a cute version of The Monkees I’m a Believer right amongst the shocked audience members at the far-up cheaper seats, and you got a stadium full of frenzied fans eating out of their hands.

There is a brief creeping sensation that these seemingly spontaneous tricks were nothing but just neatly executed, manipulative crowd pleasers. But Martin’s self deprecating humour, unrelentless energy and vocal prowess, along with the rest of the boys’ (bassist Guy Berryman, guitarist Jonny Buckland and drummer Will Champion) earnestness easily washed away any doubt of their genuineness.

Coldplay gave a performance that was worth every single superlative – and every single cent.

http://www.todayonline.com/articles/309464.asp

Awwww :heart:

Plus an interview with Will...

Living la vida

Coldplay on why it’s hard being at the top

Singapore will always hold special meaning for Coldplay, said their drummer, Will Champion. They’ve performed here three times and Champion said the band have always had “good memories of Singapore”.

That’s probably why they put on a supercharged show on Monday night at the Singapore Indoor Stadium. They gave an “impossibly charming” performance that was, according to Today’s Genevieve Loh, “worth every single superlative and every single cent”. Read her gushing review exclusively online at http://www.todayonline.com.

“I remember the very first (performance in Singapore) with Travis,” said Champion just before the show. “Because, coincidentally, a guy who turned out to be one of my very best friends lived in Singapore at the time, and came to watch us.

“The second one was when my daughter was three or four months old and she came out with us. That was her first concert tour!”

We remember Chris Martin shouting at someone with a lighter at the first show.

I’m sure it was only a joke! But these days you can’t smoke anywhere anymore, so people use their mobile phones instead of lighters.

Have there been any Spinal Tap moments?

We did an in-store performance in Los Angeles early in our careers, and were told to go on. We walked onstage and people started clapping, and then we realised none of our instruments had arrived because of a traffic jam. So we had to go back off, wait until the instruments arrived, plug them in, then come back on again. That was embarrassing!

Do you get tired of playing Yellow?

Yellow is very special because it was like a passport — it allowed us to go to Australia, America and Singapore. We never thought we’d go to any of these places, we just thought we’d be a band in England. For some people, it’s the only reason they come to the concert. So for that reason alone, it’s a lot of fun for us to play.

What’s your plan to be a better band?

We want to do something that no one’s done before but it’s getting harder, because so many musicians have done so many great things ... We’ve got to think long and hard about it. So we’ll see.

What will happen when the music’s over?

I don’t think the music will ever be over. It’s difficult to imagine doing anything else. Sometimes I think about it, but then I worry because I don’t know how to do anything else.

Hopefully, music will always be a massive part of my life. This is the best possible job in the world.

http://www.todayonline.com/articles/309347.asp

Will is so sweet :nice:

Living la vida

Coldplay on why it’s hard being at the top

Singapore will always hold special meaning for Coldplay, said their drummer, Will Champion. They’ve performed here three times and Champion said the band have always had “good memories of Singapore”.

That’s probably why they put on a supercharged show on Monday night at the Singapore Indoor Stadium. They gave an “impossibly charming” performance that was, according to Today’s Genevieve Loh, “worth every single superlative and every single cent”. Read her gushing review exclusively online at http://www.todayonline.com.

“I remember the very first (performance in Singapore) with Travis,” said Champion just before the show. “Because, coincidentally, a guy who turned out to be one of my very best friends lived in Singapore at the time, and came to watch us.

“The second one was when my daughter was three or four months old and she came out with us. That was her first concert tour!”

We remember Chris Martin shouting at someone with a lighter at the first show.

I’m sure it was only a joke! But these days you can’t smoke anywhere anymore, so people use their mobile phones instead of lighters.

Have there been any Spinal Tap moments?

We did an in-store performance in Los Angeles early in our careers, and were told to go on. We walked onstage and people started clapping, and then we realised none of our instruments had arrived because of a traffic jam. So we had to go back off, wait until the instruments arrived, plug them in, then come back on again. That was embarrassing!

Yellow is very special because it was like a passport — it allowed us to go to Australia, America and Singapore. We never thought we’d go to any of these places, we just thought we’d be a band in England. For some people, it’s the only reason they come to the concert. So for that reason alone, it’s a lot of fun for us to play.

What’s your plan to be a better band?

We want to do something that no one’s done before but it’s getting harder, because so many musicians have done so many great things ... We’ve got to think long and hard about it. So we’ll see.

What will happen when the music’s over?

I don’t think the music will ever be over. It’s difficult to imagine doing anything else. Sometimes I think about it, but then I worry because I don’t know how to do anything else.

Hopefully, music will always be a massive part of my life. This is the best possible job in the world.

Oh oh I'm like swooning with love! My goodness. Sighs. I don't think I even love my boyfriend that much. Hahahaha.

Chris DNA lol! Aye those people are seriously lucky and if I were within reach I won't mind touching him, ANYWHERE! Even obscure places like his toe.. Or something. It'll be like touching a god or something. Then wouldn't wash my hands. Hur.

Are you good people joining the group yet! I have no idea who everyone is and someone started a discussion about putting names to faces, so I think its good if we know?

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic=8774&post=29688&uid=160079655152#/topic.php?uid=160079655152&topic=8777

We'll be travelling together to see the greatest band ever in 2 - 3 years time! Woot! :D

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=160079655152

don't worry...i wouldn't call myself a hardcore fan either. i can't even settle on a firm fave among the guys in Coldplay (i think all of them are great! haha).

i'm just anal about what's in my music CD collection. e.g. : when i realised i'd somehow gotten a crack on the cover of my copy of A Rush Of Blood To The Head, i ended up scouring my entire room for a decent CD case to scavenge the cover off...just cos i didn't want any of my favourite music CDs to have a crack on the jewel case. :P

neither can i! its usually a split between chris and will. but whenever the guitar solos kick in it'll be jonny. haha. poor guy.

haha i used to do that too, until i realised its putting more wear and tear on the cases whenever i keep taking and returning a CD. nowadays i just take out all the cds and put them in a cd case, and the covers are then lovingly returned back to their original plastic coverings and stored away. :)

Coldplay gave a performance that was worth every single superlative – and every single cent.

http://www.todayonline.com/articles/309464.asp

Oh, that is so true! :nice:

Living la vida

He is, and Yellow is very special to me too. It is the song that have made me so in love with Coldplay.

Are you good people joining the group yet! I have no idea who everyone is and someone started a discussion about putting names to faces, so I think its good if we know?

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic=8774&post=29688&uid=160079655152#/topic.php?uid=160079655152&topic=8777

We'll be travelling together to see the greatest band ever in 2 - 3 years time! Woot! :D

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=160079655152

I've joined. :dance: I'm sure it is not so hard to find out which one I am on that group. :D I also invited some friends who are not on this forum yet but very keen in joining our adventure. I hope it's okay. :)

Oh, that is so true! :nice:

He is, and Yellow is very special to me too. It is the song that have made me so in love with Coldplay.

I've joined. :dance: I'm sure it is not so hard to find out which one I am on that group. :D I also invited some friends who are not on this forum yet but very keen in joining our adventure. I hope it's okay. :)

Absolutely no problemo! Welcome aboard :laugh4:

Forget all the mudslinging criticism about their radio-friendly whine rock, blatant U2 and Radiohead ripoffs, Hollywood wives and naming of children after fruit. None of it matters once Coldplay takes to the stage.

that statement should be plural, imo...since it's only really 1 of them who has those 2 criterias. heh

but, really, Apple isn't that odd a name. i know a few ppl who go by that name. neither is Moses.

the oddest name i've seen so far in my daily work is a female guest whose name was somewhere along the lines of "Precious Princess ..... ....."

god knows what her parents were thinking when they filled in the birth cert (cos us staff were all sniggering when we saw that name...followed by exclamations of "poor girl must've been picked on in school for a name like that!") :P

Apple is ok. its quite common actually, heard it a few times. i came across this person's name a long time ago. her name is Lilly Lee Lili. thats quite .... i dont know, i cant find a right word to describe it. anyway, no offence to you Lilly Lee! (If u're on this forum)