✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Your Ranking of Coldplay Albums & Why...

mrman78

This is something I've tried to do many times in my head.

I love many bands and many of many bands albums, but its always been so hard to figure it out with Coldplay. I think I've effectively come down the Viva la Vida frenzy, but I suppose that won't totally happen until we get a new album.

I'll go from my least favorite to my favorite I guess.

X & Y - The first album I anticipated. When it came out it was all I listened to. I loved it. I wore it out. I listened to every track. Well, now...three years on, I hardly give it a chance. I like three songs and love one. There are good ones, but the album bores me. It's not Coldplay for me.

Parachutes - It's very hard to put Parachutes here because it really in another format would recieve honourable mention. This is not me saying I don't like this album. I like it very very much. I've bonded with so many of these songs. In certain moments of my life, this album spoke to me like no other. Yellow wasn't my introduction to Coldplay, but it served as the solidifier to a brilliant band.

A Rush Of Blood To The Head - My first introduction to Coldplay was this brilliant CD. Oh how I felt like the coolest mother fucker in the world back then. I knew they were going to hit it big. Of course they did (and partially already had), but I knew nothing of it. I mean, 1-5 this might be the best opener in CD history. Better than The Joshua Tree (...maybe not...but close). Than you've got Green Eyes, Warning Sign and Amsterdam. Not to mention Daylight, which I loved for a time.

This CD is just so brilliant, and it pains me to put it second. It really should be a tie for first. Maybe it is. It's just this song holds The Scientist. The song that introduced me to Coldplay. I hold that so closely to my heart.

Viva la Vida (with Prospekts March) - Viva la Vida...wow. The only album I anticipated while a Coldplayer. That proves how much I anticipated it I would imagine. Well they didn't disappoint. There's no single track on this record that doesnt' have some redeeming value. Even the one's I don't like...ROL...have something. The rest are just brilliant. Then to top of Viva la Vida they come out with Prospekts March (which I grouped here because its really not that different). LIT2, GOW, Rainy Day and NMFWTTG.

The thing about Coldplay that sets each record apart is the ability of myself to bond with them. The thing is...the only misstep they've had there is X & Y and even there, I've had great bonding moments.

I've never felt detached from a Coldplay record. I've always felt drawn in from that opening track. Nothing is more mesmorizing in the musical world than a great Coldplay album. At my count we have two classic, one great and one solid effort.

I can't wait for LP5!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Avoiding homework like the plague, so I'll do this instead! :D

1)AROBTTH

Ahhh, just amazing, it has the perfect mix of everything that makes Coldplay, well, Coldplay- great melodies, emotion... I don't know, just everything! And I definitely agree that the first 5 tracks = best opening ever!

Top 5: I can't pick just 5! The Scientist, Clocks, AROBTTH, Amsterdam, Warning Sign, IMP, Politik, GPASUYF... *can't stop*

2) VLVODAAHF

I think this is the Coldplay album that I listen to start to finish the most without skipping anything (I need to skip A Whisper on AROBTTH :lol:). It's so colorful and inspiring to listen to- when in doubt, I always play a VLV track on my iPod.

Top 5: Strawberry Swing :wacky:, Viva la Vida, Lovers in Japan, Violet Hill, Life in Technicolor

3)Parachutes (actually ties with VLV for #2, but I wasn't sure if I was allowed to do that :P)

This will sound weird, but... This album can be whatever you want it to be. It can be really uplifting, or really mellow and relaxing. I don't think there are any songs here that I dislike. :thinking: And it contains my favorite Coldplay song :D

Top 5: Everything's Not Lost :heart:, Yellow, Trouble, Shiver, We Never Change and/or Don't Panic

4) X&Y

I don't hate X&Y at all, it was just process of elimination :laugh3: It just feels like more of a collection of tracks vs. an album to me. And all the synths + lyrics about space threw me off :uhoh: But when X&Y gets emotional, it's pretty damn good!

Top 5: Swallowed in the Sea, Fix You, What If, Talk, Till Kingdom Come

1. VLVoDAAHF/Prospekts March

Just amazing. I can't fault it. It just stands out from the other three

2. AROBTTH

Album that made me a fan. It's such a classic, perfect second album. Personally, it influenced me and inspired me in my drama studies.

3. X&Y

I love this album. I understand the hate, but for me, it holds such dear memories. First CP album I anticipated along with Twisted Logic shows being the first CP show I went to.

4. Parachutes

Heard it after X&Y and AROBTTH. Such a morning album and I remember studying maths to it, lol! Beautiful songs, but the other three stand out more. Though Yellow was the song that first made me aware of them (at 12 years old, no less!)

1– A Rush Of Blood To The Head—

Coldplay%2B-%2BA%2BRush%2BOf%2BBlood%2BTo%2BThe%2BHead.jpg

This is not just the best Coldplay album, but in my opinion the best album ever produced. Not only is it so unbelievably full of emotion and astonishing lyrics, the album as whole is the only one out of the four with the most cohesion. This album turned my life around and it has my all time favourite songs in it and it’s the one I can connect to the most. just an absolute masterpiece! Everything about this album is superb and I LOVED Chris's voice in there more than in any other work of theirs. I cant really pick the best songs in here cuz I’m obsessed with every single on of them and literally cant live my life one day without listening to them!! There are no low points and unlike what some people say here, I actually think A Whisper is an astounding song! My biggest dream ever is Coldplay going back to the old days and make an album like this! but with all their commercial success, I don't think the quality will ever come back!:\ I can carry on forever expressing my love for this album but I think its enough now:P

I cant be bothered putting an explanation for the others, so I just put them in order

2– X&Y—

P3586806.jpg

3–Viva la Vida— (dont kill me for this!!:D)

album_viva_la_vida.jpg

4–Parachutes—

coldplay-parachutes-big.jpg

1. AROBTTH (EVERY song, The Scientist is my least favourite though)

This album's a masterpiece, it holds a special place in my heart as it reminds me of good times.

Daylight, Politik, GPASUYF (the song that kinda made me take notice of them properly), Warning Sign, A Whisper, A Rush of Blood to the Head, Green Eyes, every song.

This seemed to be Coldplay at the height of what they were doing. Seems to me that they kind of made something so otherworldly and so great for how old they were at the time! :heart:

2. Parachutes (SPIES. Don't Panic, Shiver, Trouble, High Speed, Everything's Not Lost)

The first 3 songs of this album are my absolute favourite....sometimes I don't go beyond them... just repeat those 3. ...but I love the whole album as well. Everythings Not Lost, absolute tune. and High Speed is such a great song to play through headphones as you're hurtling towards London on a train.

Joint 3rd X&Y (Square One) and VLVODAAHF

Can't decide really... copout I know.

X&Y comes 3rd purely for my love of the song Square One really. Amazing song, and holds such memories of my first concert, with the time ticking down on the screens. Other notable songs I like on X&Y: White Shadows, X&Y, Low. It reminds me of a time when I became completely obessive about the band and when I went to the IOW festival to see them...good good times.

VLV is good, but just for some reason...ahhh I don't know. It's not as special to me. I love LIT ii a lot, and Glass of Water. Perhaps it's because I'm older now. bahh.

Violet Hill is perfect though.... and I love Lovers In Japan and Yes. Coldplay seemed to have perfected the art of making incredibly popular, catchy and successful songs.

1. A Rush Of Blood To The Head - Their Masterpiece. It's just perfect.

2. Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends - Just a step behind A Rush, this album is absolutely brilliant.

3. X&Y - A work of pure beauty.

4. Parachutes - Early signs of what's to come.