✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Your Ranking of Coldplay Albums & Why...

mrman78

So am I correct that judging by these lists most people became coldplay fans during X&Y-VIVA era?

I think that's fair. Most people are pretty young. I was only like 8 when Parachutes came out so... Wasn't listening to a whole lot of that. I was probably more into like Raffi or something.

:p

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So am I correct that judging by these lists most people became coldplay fans during X&Y-VIVA era?

Well, I bought A Rush of Blood to the Head right hwne it cam eout, and I've loved them ever since. Although X&Y + Viva have made me realize that they are my favorite band. 4 great albums, not other band has released 4 albums that I love.

Maybe for most but not me, my first album of theirs was ARoBttH, I was immediately a fan and then soon after I went and purchased Parachutes. That was about 2 years before X&Y even came out.

When I went to their concert in 2006 I couldn't even sing along to the X&Y songs because I hardly knew them :confused: I felt like a horrible fan.

1. A Rush of Blood to the Head

Top Track: Politik

Low Track: Green Eyes

Perfection on a disk. Every song manages to feel as personal as Parachutes and yet subtly epic.

2. Viva la Vida

Top Track: 42 (I think)

Low Track: The Escapist

The most fun of all the albums. As sonically rich as a pop/rock band can get.

3. Parachutes

Top Track: Shiver

Low Track: Everything's Not Lost

Amazing in its ability to maintain its enthusiasm and freshness, and an unusually mature debut.

4. X&Y

Top Track: White Shadows

Low Track: What If

Spacey and rocking at its best, contrived and hollow at its worst.

To start off, I got into them with X&Y, so go ahead and form as many generalizations about this list as you want. :laugh3:

Just an outright brilliant album that really put Coldplay on the map. I must have heard "Clocks" over a thousand times by now, and it never gets any less amazing. "Politik" and "Amsterdam" give this album both the strongest opening and closing of any Coldplay album. It's not perfect, as "A Whisper" is my least favorite song that made it onto an album (i.e. excluding B-sides), but damn, I wish I was a fan during this era.

Top Songs - Clocks, Politik, Amsterdam, A Rush of Blood to the Head

2. Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends

An incredibly successful reinvention that brought it a whole new legion of fans while invigorating the existing ones. It's certainly the most theme-heavy album with some great songwriting and obvious Eno influence. I still don't like "Reign of Love", but that's a three-minute filler blemish in another 43 minutes of bliss.

Top Songs - Viva la Vida, Lovers in Japan, Violet Hill, Death and All His Friends

3. X&Y

I admit to a bias for this being my first CP album, as even though it's down at #3, I love it nearly as much as the three above albums. Some have referred to X&Y as being 13 singles instead of one album, and I'd mostly agree with that, hence the lower placement. But the songs are damn good single material, and oddly enough, it's gotten the most replay from me over the last month.

Top Songs - Speed of Sound, Talk, Square One, White Shadows

4. Parachutes

Don't be fooled by the bottom placement; Coldplay owes so very much to Parachutes. It was a bigger breakthrough debut album than most other bands get, and "Yellow" continues to be cherished and will through the remainder of their career. I suppose my problem is that the band still feels stuck in "transition" mode to the big leagues (heck, two of the songs were on an earlier EP). In terms of "easy listening", there's no better choice in the world, but Coldplay would go on to do much greater things in a very short time.

Top Songs - Trouble, Everything's Not Lost, Yellow, High Speed

1) A Rush of Blood to the Head

Top Tracks: A Rush of Blood to the Head, Politik, God Put A Smile Upon Your Face, Clocks, The Scientist, Green Eyes, Daylight, Amsterdam

Low Track: A Whisper

The album that made me love music.

2) Parachutes

Top Track: Trouble, Don't Panic, We Never Change, Spies, Everything's Not Lost, Sparks

Low Track: High Speed

Organic, minimal, and amazingly mature for a debut. Flawless.

3) Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends

Top Track: The Escapist, Death and All His Friends, Violet Hill, 42, Cemeteries of London, Strawberry Swing

Low Track: Yes

Rich, and dynamic. Great layering and a great balance of complex and simplistic. Definitely excited to see what the do next.

4) X&Y

Top Track: Twisted Logic, X&Y, Square One

Low Track: The Hardest Part

Hollow, forced and contrived. Much lower than the other three, whom are ranked very close together.

1. X&Y--Can't begin to emphasize how much I fell in love with this album. Swallowed in the Sea, Fix You and A Message gets me goosebumps and emotionally charged every single time.

2. AROBTTH---Although Yellow introduced me to the band, Warning Sign was the first song that I could fully relate to as a junior enduring heartbreak in high school, lol. One of the few albums that I could listen to every song and never get tired of it, especially GPASUYF, The Scientist, Amsterdam, Green Eyes, Politik and Warning Sign.

3. Parachutes---Yellow, Shiver and Don't Panic are absolute perfection. But I do agree with what someone else said earlier, the overall sound is a tad bit depressing and emo. But I still love it because it's what introduced me to them.

4. Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends---Like many, it took me awhile to get used to the new sound, which I'm still going through. I do admire the risk they took in the new direction. Also love the more catchy, upbeat songs that IMO sometimes lacked in their previous albums. Some of my favorites are LIT, Violet Hill, Lovers in Japan, 42 and Cemeteries of London.

kind of. I've heard most of their stuff before, but the X&Y era was when I became a superfan, lol.

Technically, I've been a fan since 'Parachutes' since it was when Yellow came out that I got into the band. However, I never bought the album (until much later) and was pretty much a casual fan then. 'A Rush of Blood to the Head' was the first Coldplay album I actually bought, and that's when I became a bona-fide fan!

Technically, I've been a fan since 'Parachutes' since it was when Yellow came out that I got into the band. However, I never bought the album and was pretty much a casual fan then. 'A Rush of Blood to the Head' was the first Coldplay album I actually bought, and that's when I became a bona-fide fan, ha.

haha nice avi! :lol:

thank you for the Thread, i loves it lol

hands down for me

the number one spot would have to go to

thlk_coldplay.jpg

1) A rush of blood to the Head: because of personal reasons this album will forever be in first place. i also love how dark and sad the lyrics were:( and how the piano control most of the album. i really don't think they will ever be able to make an album better then this.

my top 5 song in order Amsterdam, WARNING sign, God put a smile upon your face, POlitik and in my place..

favorite line: ALL of Amsterdam lol :D

thcoldplay.jpg

2)Parachutes: because its the first album and this is what made me into the annoying girl who loves coldplay lol :D:dozey: its true i drive people crazy with my love of coldplay.. lol.... but this album whole was full of strong songs and it was different. i never heard an album like that before and i love how the guitar was the main forces in the album.

my top 5 songs in order: Trouble, Shiver, Spies, HIgh speed and Everything is Not lost

favorite line:

Oh no, I see,

A spider web is tangled up with me,

And I lost my head,

The thought of all the stupid things I said,

Oh no whats this?

A spider web, and Im caught in the middle,

So I turned to run,

The thought of all the stupid things Ive done,

coldplayxandy.jpg

3) x and y: i'll never understand why this album made people feel coldplay sold out.... there are a lot of good songs but with this album there were really good song and then there were song that didn't so nothing for you it was so plain.. it lack the coldplay taste. there were a lot of unnecessary guitar solos lol...

but i still have my 5 top songs: A Message, the hardest part, X AND Y, Fix you and Square ONe

favorite line:

And I tried to sing

But I couldn't think of anything

That was the hardest part

thcoldplay-viva-cover.jpg

4) Viva la Vida: its a love and hate thing really, this album helped them become rich, and really famous. its not the coldplay im use to and its hard to find a connection. i love the album but maybe because its so different and new. im finding it hard to select a song to go on repeat mood.

my top 5 song: 42, Life In Technicolor,Lovers In Japan / Reign Of Love,Death And All His Friends, and Cemeteries Of London

favorite line:

And in the End

we lie awake and we dream of making our escape

1. Viva La Vida or Death and All of his friends:

There was just no negotiation with this album, it just simply won me over from frist listen. It's everything i've wanted to hear from Coldplay: experimentation, more guitar and a variety of tones. Did I also mention it was produced by the one and only Brian Eno? VLV also marks the first Coldplay concert i've ever been to and so far, it's been my favourite. VLV is actually amongst my top ten albums of all time.

Top 5: Viva La Vida, Yes, 42, Violet Hill, Cemetaries of London.

2. A rush of blood to the head:

This was my first Coldplay album and until VLV, my favourite Coldplay album. I absolutely played this album to death in the years between this album and VLV. X&Y had been overlooked and I easily crowned this as their best. Every track on this album is a winner, it has the anthems and the obscure. It also contains my favourite Coldplay song, Clocks.

Top 5: Clocks, In My Place, God Put a smile upon your face, The Scientist, Amsterdam.

3. X&Y:

Only very recently (the last 2 months after owning the album for 4 years) has this album grown on me. When it was first released I was disappointed and concerned that Coldplay were falling into a formulaic and comfortable sound. To be it was everything that AROBTTH had covered but just half as well. But, in times gone by after playing and replaying and replaying and replaring VLV and AROBTTH, I have found myself going back to this with a new found optimism. I think it's also after hearing some of these songs live I seem to appreciate them more. I think this album has some of Johnny's best guitar riffs, but the album also has some songs that let it down. Namely The Hardest Part, What if and A Message. I'd say this is the album which has grown on me the most, certainly not a pleaser on the first listen. An album that has an equal share of classics and disappointments.

Top 5: Twisted logic, X&Y, Talk, Speed of Sound and Low.

4. Parachutes:

This used to be at number 3 but I very rarely play this album anymore. Not that I dislike it but I just prefer the complexity of their later works. Everytime I go to listen to a Coldplay album on my iPod, it's generally the top 2 and if I want a break from those, X&Y. I should probably revisit this one a little more now that i've started to like X&Y. Strange as this may sound, it also contains my least favourite Coldplay song, Yellow :embarassed:

Top 5: Spies, Shiver, Everything's not lost, Trouble, Sparks.

It is very hard to put the albums in a specific order because they are much better than most of the albums of other musicians in my collection.

1. Parachutes

Last year I became a fan of Coldplay by listening to this album. For me it's their best album because all songs have a certain quality. The songs are emotional but not cheesy. Chris sounds so vulnerable and the instruments get so well with each other, Don't panic is a perfect example for it.

It is the only album of them I can dream with, it can put me into another state of mind, it gives me chills.

Top 5 Songs: Don't Panic, High Speed, Trouble, Spies, Shiver (no specific order)

2. Viva la vida or death and all his friends

Was hard to choose between AROBTTH and this one for the second place, but I think VLVODAAHF is much more an entity - just a complete album with great different songs on it. I like every track on this album so I put this on the second place. It has a certain strength, it sounds so enthuastic and I can feel the revolutionary thoughts that Chris and Co. had in their head while making this album.

Top 5 Songs: Death and all his friends, Lovers in japan, Lost, Violet hill, Life in technicolor

3. A rush of blood to the head

For critics it is probably their best album. And they are right it is a great profound album, with a lot of top songs it it and the lyrics are amazing. I could not build up such a great connection to this album. VLVODAAHF is a bit better to me because it seems like every song is about the same album-topic, so it does not sound like all the tracks are just diced together. On AROBTTH this is the case and I don't like some tracks on it. But these are the only negatives things about this album. Some songs are gorgeous and much better than the most on VLVODAAHF.

Top 5 Songs: Politik, Amsterdam, The Scientist, Clocks, AROBTTH

4. X & Y

Last but not least X & Y, also the last I album I bought. Most of the songs sound great if I listen to them superficially, I love to listen to it in the car. The lyrics are ok, although they were better in the past. A plus is also that there are a lot of tracks on the album, but it is like Chris said it is better to have less songs with a certain quality. I unfortunately have to add that the sound of is so equal on every track, kind of overproduced and Chris sings too high on most of the tracks. Sometimes the melodies are too simple. There is also no song that I would put on my alltime favorite list. It seems like CP was trying so hard that they forgot about their old principles. Nevertheless it is still a great album, much better then a lot of albums I have from other artists.

Top 5 Songs: Speed of sound, What if , The hardest part, A message, Square one

1) Viva La Vida (Viva La Vida, 42, Violet Hill, Death And All His Friends, Cemeteries of London, Life In Technicolor)

The hype before, during and after this made be a COLDPLAY FREAK! I loved all their other albums but this was a different level!

2) AROBTTH (GPASUMF, The Scientist, In My Place, AROBTTH, Politik)

This really showed that the second album syndrome didn't make a bad second album for Coldplay! The songs are awesome, especially the ones above! :D Also Politik is MY ALLTIME FAVE Coldplay Song!

3) Parachutes (Shiver, Yellow, Trouble, Don't Panic, High Speed)

The CLASSIC. Yellow is absolutely AMAZING!

4) X & Y (Square One, Fix You, Talk, Speed Of Sound, Clocks)

Even though this is last, it is an AWESOME album. Talk, Clocks and Fix You are especially amazing!. Talk is just absolutely awesome, Clocks won a grammy, great piano there! And Fix You makes me cry it's so great!

Highlights: Politik, Warning Sign, Amterdam, A Whisper

Lowlights: Daylight

Though loads of people hate 'A Whisper' - I really think it defines the sound of this album.

very dirty guitars and an epic chorus. This whole album is just, 'wow'.

2. X&Y

Highlights: A Message, Swallowed in the Sea, Square One, Talk

Lowlights: Speed of Sound

I loved the direction that the lads went in here. really stunning album, 'Things I don't understand' should have been thrown in there somewhere though.

3. Viva La Vida or Death & All His Friends (including prospekts march)

Highlights: Lovers In Japan, Postcards from far away, Viva La Vida, Death and all his friends, Violet Hill

Lowlights: Yes, Rainy Day

Really well anticipated album, really worth the wait and really out of this world.

the boys were pushed to their limits with this one, and it paid off.

4. Parachutes

Highlights: Don't Panic, Yellow, We Never Chance, Everythings Not Lost (Life is for living)

Lowlights: High Speed

It was really difficult to choose the least favourite album because I love them all just so much. This album is phenomenal and will always be one of my favourite. if anything, it's still my favourite debut album of all time.

4) X & Y (Square One, Fix You, Talk, Speed Of Sound, Clocks)

Even though this is last, it is an AWESOME album. Talk, Clocks and Fix You are especially amazing!. Talk is just absolutely awesome, Clocks won a grammy, great piano there! And Fix You makes me cry it's so great!

Simon.... Clocks isn't even on this album.

it's on AROBTTH :lol::laugh3:

Okay, here goes...

1) Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends.

I felt this one had to come first because there are no songs on the album that I get to and skip past; I love every single one of them. I remember being so apprehensive about this album coming out because I wasn't sure I was going to like their new direction, but I absolutley adore it :D

Top five songs - Death And All His Friends, Yes, Strawberry Swing, Viva La Vida, Cemeteries Of London.

The not so great - Probably Reign Of Love. I don't dislike the song, I just think it's the album's weakest point.

2) A Rush Of Blood To The Head.

This was an extremely close second. Some of the songs on this album are my favourite songs ever, let alone my favourite Coldplay songs. As much as I love the direction of Viva... I certainly wouldn't be complaining if they went back to this style.

Top five songs - Amsterdam, God Put A Smile Upon Your Face, Politik, The Scientist, A Rush Of Blood To The Head.

The not so great - Daylight and A Whisper. These are the songs I tend to skip past.

3) Parachutes.

I sometimes forget about this album because I tend to listen to Viva... and A Rush... a whole lot more than this or X&Y, but when I do go back and listen to this I'm always struck by how beautiful it is. A fantastic debut album - much stronger than many artists' whole collections of albums, in my opinion.

Top five songs - Shiver, Parachutes, Yellow, Everything's Not Lost, Spies.

The not so great - High Speed. Again, I don't dislike it, I just think the rest of the songs on the album are better.

4) X&Y.

Well something had to come last, and I put X&Y here because it's the album that I listen to least. I missed the rawness of Parachutes and A Rush... when this came out, and I just think it pales in comparison to the other three albums. That being said, there are still some great songs on here.

Top five songs - Fix You, Sqaure One, Swallowed In The Sea, 'Til Kingdom Come, A Message.

The not so great - Just the overall feel and flow of the album, really. :\

Phew, that was hard!

okay, this is going to be soooo difficult. but i'll give it a try.

but i can't do the not so great songs because i love them all!! so i'll just do top 5.

1) viva la vida or death and all his friends.

-why: probably because most of the songs really relate to me more than others, and i think the way they veered themselves away from u2 and everyone else was so fantastic. it was so well done, so perfect, just like them.

-top five songs: lovers in japan, death and all his friends, cemeteries of london, 42, strawberry swing.

2) a rush of blood to the head.

-why: because again, the songs relate to me so well, and they're just so well done! i can't describe it. the way they're written are just, genius. not that everything coldplay does isn't genius! because it is! ahh this is so hard!

-top five songs: the scientist, green eyes, warning sign, amsterdam, politik.

3) x&y.

-why: because all the songs are so beautiful, well done, artistic, and just, different. they're so not like anything else, ever. like, fix you. that song makes me cry every time i hear it, and i've played it hundreds, maybe thousands of times. this doesn't mean i hate x&y or parachutes which is next! i just don't know! :dead:

-top five songs: fix you, x&y, white shadows, low, the hardest part.

4) parachutes.

-why: i don't hate parachutes! i guess it's just my least favorite? but i still love it with all my heart! it's such a fantastic album! again, some of the songs really relate to me and yellow! yellow! as much as that song is played i still love it so much!

-top five songs:shiver, sparks, everything's not lost, yellow, we never change.

i love all the albums! this was so difficult! -dies-

Okay, here goes...

1) Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends.

I felt this one had to come first because there are no songs on the album that I get to and skip past; I love every single one of them. There is not another artist or album in the world that I can say that I love every single song but Viva La Vida is that album for me.. Plus it helped me to cope with a breakup which came after a 13 year relationship

Top five songs - Viva La Vida..... LOST......42.....Death and all his friends.....Strawberry Swing

The ok songs - NONE

2) X&Y.

I know I'm the different one here and lots of you will beg to differ but XY was a beautiful time in my life for me...... Once I listened to Swallowed in the Sea and Fix you then there was nothing that happened that ever got me down......... Those songs gave me faith that no matter what happened in life that there was always something good waiting around the corner and some light that would help me see my way through

Top five songs - Fix You........Swallowed In The Sea...... LOW........A Message.......Kingdom Come

The ok songs -White Shadows ...... What if?

3) A Rush Of Blood To The Head.

Now this album I consider to be bloody brilliant and this was the time when I was now getting into Coldplay... I had heard a few songs from the parachutes album and thought that this was a band i could get to love but then a Rush of blood to the head came out and thats ho I felt every time I listened to the CD

Top five songs - The Scientist......Amsterdam....... Clocks....... Warning Sign........In My Place

The ok songs - Daylight and A Whisper.

4) Parachutes.

I was not so much a coldplay fan when this album came out and by the time I was hopelessly hooked on them then there was Clocks and the Scientist and it was no turning back

Top five songs - Shiver, trouble, Yellow, Everything's Not Lost, Spies.

The ok songs - High Speed.

And thats my take on the whole thing. Hope I was able to give good enough justified reasons for my choices