✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Your Ranking of Coldplay Albums & Why...

mrman78

Ok, so not sure if this has been done before, but I was bored and figured I'd give it a shot. So, we have four albums, and I realised that I have a hard time figuring out what order I would put them in (if I had to choose :shocked2:) I mean, I love all of them, but thought it might be fun to see:

1) How I'd organise them if I had to

2) What the reasons were

3) What the top 5 tracks off each album would be

Give it a shot, it's actually a lot harder than you may think!

1) X&Y - I chose this as #1 since there are more of my all-time favourite songs on this album. However, I don't think it's the strongest out of the bunch as a stand alone album. I feel it has a bit of, gasp, filler and I think it's a little too long and a tad over-produced, but I love all the synths, etc. and most of the songs are top notch!

Top Five Songs: Speed of Sound, White Shadows, Talk, Square One, Fix You.

2) A Rush Of Blood To The Head - Ok, so picking #2 and #3 was really hard for me! I finally decided on AROBTTH since it has more of my favourite songs on it than VLV, although only by a smidge! But I also think this is the most cohesive and consistant album of theirs and the best 'Intro to Coldplay' album.

Top Five Songs: Politik, God Put A Smile Upon Your Face, Clocks, Daylight, In My Place

3) Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends - Ok so AROBTTH just barely beat it to #2, so it sits at #3., lol! I think this is their second most cohesive album with no filler and just top notch songs and great experimentation. Ugh, told you this was hard to do! :rolleyes:

Top Five Songs: Viva La Vida, Life in Technicolor, Violet Hill, Lovers In Japan, Yes

4) Parachutes - Ok, so I guess that leaves Parachutes as #4. I don't think that it's my least favourite album at all, but this is where it ranks after thinking of everything. Mmm, I think it contains the least amount of my all time favourite songs, and that is why it's here. :confused: It is a great album though!

Top Five Songs: Trouble, Yellow, Everythings Not Lost, Don't Panic, Shiver

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) X&Y (Square One, Low, The Hardest Part, A Message, Talk)

Criticised for being too long, the more CP on one piece of plastic the better. Reminds me of a calm evening in Bolton until the huge countdown screen flashed up before it had even gone dark...

2) Viva La Vida (Strawberry Swing, Violet Hill, Lovers In Japan, Yes, Chinese Sleep Chant)

A rockier edge puts this 2nd, hence my inclusion of CSC, Yes and VH

3) Parachutes (Shiver, Spies, Trouble, Don't Panic, High Speed)

Still a classic after all these years, I think I've scratched this one to death

4) AROBTTH (GPASUYF, The Scientist, Daylight, AROBTTH, A Whisper)

Even though it contains my favourite CP track, its the album I least listen to. The inclusion of my worst ever CP song is also here. In My Place. I fucking hate that song.

1) AROBTTH/Viva La Vida

I still can't choose between these two. I love them both for different reasons, and making me choose beteen them is like making me choose which child has to die :P

Top 5 AROBTTH - Clocks, Scientist, In My Place, Green Eyes, Politik

Top 5 Viva La Vida - Reign Of Love, Viva La Vida, Strawberry Swing, Lovers In Japan, 42

2) Parachutes

Has some awesome songs on it. Don't have the same love for it as the first two as I really only was aware of the album after I'd heard songs from AROBTTH performed live.

Top 5 - Spies, Yellow, Don't Panic, We Never Change, Everything's Not Lost

3) X&Y

I really don't get on with this album. There's a couple of songs I like on there, but the rest of it doesn't do a lot for me. It just doesn't gel in the same way.

Top 4 - Fix You, Swallowed In The Sea, Til Kingdom Come, A Message,

Oooh I like Ian's format (but not order :wreck::P My beloved AROBBTH :heart:)

1) AROBTTH (Politik, In My Place, GPASUYF, The Scientist, Clocks, Daylight, Green Eyes, Warning Sign, AROBTTH, Amsterdam - yep that's them all except A Whisper :lol:)

The reason I fell in love with Coldplay, epic, heart wrenching, defines an era in my life. Their best album (IMO) I doubt they can top it, but I really hope they do. I miss that raw emotion in Chris' voice, the voice of a broken man. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this album with all my heart. :heart:

Favourite lyric: So I crawl back into your open arms

Low point: A Whisper

2.) VLVODAAHF (LiT, 42, LiJ, Strawberry Swing, VLV, Violet Hill, DAAHF)

A return to form after an album that (again IMO) was lacking a connection. Daring, a tad experimental, completely live, with lots of group singing and touching on subjects other than girls. Loved the inclusion of an instrumental, new instruments and the EP that came to follow.

Favourite lyric: In the end we lie awake and we dream of making our escape

Low Point: I actually can't think of one :stunned:

3.) Parachutes (Don't Panic, Shiver, Yellow, Trouble, Everything's Not Lost, Spies, Parachutes)

A classic debut album, I liked it when it first came out but came to appreciate it more after falling in love with AROBTTH. Also overplayed, I miss it live, hoping it gets another outing at the stadium gigs.

Favourite lyric: I promise you this, I'll always look out for you

Low point: High Speed

4.) X&Y (Swallowed in the Sea, Fix You, Square One, White Shadows, Low)

Don't get me wrong, I still love it and I know it gets bashed but it's my least favourite. It's overproduced and (other than Fix You and SITS) just seems a little devoid of emotion. Some brilliant loud, tracks though, full of anthems, which I think is the problem, I miss some of the quieter, tender moments. Speed of Sound is my least favourite Coldplay single though, just too formulaic. Also a little too long. That being said, I don't hate it at all.

Favourite lyric: What good is it to live, with nothing left to give?

Low point: The Hardest Part

Hm, let me give this a shot, like you said it's pretty hard because I love them all for different reasons.

1) A Rush of Blood to the Head - I've always just had a really big connection to this album from the first time I listened to it and even now after hearing their new stuff and how far they've come musically (VLV, Prospekt's March) when I go back and listen to this it still blows me away and I think it always will.

Top Tracks: Amsterdam, Politik, GPASUYF, Warning Sign, Clocks (if I could pick more I would haha).

2) Viva la Vida - I was struggling which to pick for #2 because I love Parachutes about the same but I decided on VLV because of how great Jonny, Will and Guy sound on this album. It's really awesome to finally hear them shine, Guy's bass on Violet Hill, Jonny's guitar solo in 42 and Will's drums all around (my favorite are in LiJ and Chinese Sleep Chant) sometimes they deserve a little extra credit.

Top Tracks: 42, Death and All His Friends, Lovers in Japan, Violet Hill, Cemeteries of London

3) Parachutes - This album is what we all think of as "Classic Coldplay". Well I do at least, I love the fact that it's so relevant, the songs don't have the same meaning as they did when I first heard it 5 years ago and I feel like I learn something new everytime I listen to it. I love Chris' voice during the early years as well :heart:

Top Tracks: We Never Change, Yellow, Sparks, Shiver, Don't Panic

4) X&Y - Well one of them had to be last unfortunately :( I think it's because it's so much more electronic and less organic than the Coldplay I was used to. It's definitely a bit long and I think that's why it was hard for me to get into at first. There's no doubt that when listening to the songs individually instead of part of the whole they are some of the most profound things I've ever heard (Fix You is the only song that has ever made me cry the first time I listened to it).

Top Tracks: Square One, The Hardest Part, Fix You, What If, Talk

phew, congrats if you managed to read all of that :laugh3:

1) X&Y - First off, I'll say that every album is ALMOST equal to me so this is going to be extremely hard. I like X & Y because to me, this album had a little more awesome guitar rifts and stuff like that. And almost every song on the album is beyond incredible lol.

Top Five Songs: Fix You, Talk, What If, Square One, Speed of Sound

2) A Rush Of Blood To The Head - This album, I dunno, when I think of "COLDPLAY" these are the songs that come to mind. This album is just beautiful. Its kinda like Parachutes but each song just seems a little bit more "darker" I guess... lol i dont know its hard to describe songs. This melody's are amazing on this album.

Top Five Songs: Politik, Clocks, Green Eyes, Warning Sign, In My Place

3) Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends - Seriously... now that I think of it. I really reall really cant pick between 2 and 3.. its kind of tied. I am in LOVE with every song on this album... except reign of love. I dunno. Just don't like that song that much. Its different than all of there other albums but i <3 it. Kinda has a foreign sound to it.... to me :I

Top Five Songs: Lovers in Japan, Chinese Sleep Chant, Death and All His Friends, Lost, Viva La Vida

4) Parachutes - I like most of the songs on this album. And I am even in love with some. But its not like the above 3 albums, where i can honestly say, every song on the album is an amazing song. It has some incredible songs, but to me it has some songs that are kinda like....eh.....

Top Five Songs: Everythings Not Lost, Yellow, Don't Panic, Spies, Trouble

That was extremely hard. To decide... and to explain why xD.

1) X&Y (Square One, Low, The Hardest Part, A Message, Talk)

Criticised for being too long, the more CP on one piece of plastic the better. Reminds me of a calm evening in Bolton until the huge countdown screen flashed up before it had even gone dark...

2) Viva La Vida (Strawberry Swing, Violet Hill, Lovers In Japan, Yes, Chinese Sleep Chant)

A rockier edge puts this 2nd, hence my inclusion of CSC, Yes and VH

3) Parachutes (Shiver, Spies, Trouble, Don't Panic, High Speed)

Still a classic after all these years, I think I've scratched this one to death

4) AROBTTH (GPASUYF, The Scientist, Daylight, AROBTTH, A Whisper)

Even though it contains my favourite CP track, its the album I least listen to. The inclusion of my worst ever CP song is also here. In My Place. I fucking hate that song.

:shocked2:

tell me it is god put a smile upon your face!

*crosses fingers* :bigcry:

mmm

chosing a top 5 is just way to hard, can I make it six perhaps?

1. Parachutes

It's a simple and beautiful album. It has some of my favorite coldplay lyrics and probably it will be always my favorite coldplay album :)

my top 5: Shiver, Don't Panic, Yellow, We never Change, High Speed

2. Viva la Vida

I loved it since the first moment, it has some awesome songs and it's a bit different from the old coldplay songs, which is good

my top 5: Cemeteries Of London, 42, Lost!, Strawberry Swing, Viva la Vida

3. A Rush Of Blood To The Head

I've heard this album too many times, and I still love it from Politik until Amsterdam. And Clocks is like the most famous coldplay song ever and even if I've heard it millions of times as a ringtone or in tv shows, it's still beautiful (and live it's just amazing)

my top 5: Amsterdam, Politik, Green Eyes, In My Place, A Rush Of Blood To The head

4. X&Y

I like this album... twisted logic is one of my favorite coldplay songs ever... It has many amazing songs but as a whole, it doesn't really fit that well

my top 5: Twisted logic, Low, White Shadows, Swallowed in The Sea, Square One

^im managed to read all of that.

1) Viva La Vida or Death And All Of His Friends - Definitely my favourite album of all time. First coldplay album I listened to. I just love how it all fits together. There a no "filler" tracks as far as I'm concerned. Overall, their best work to date.

Top tracks: Life In Technicolor, 42, Violet Hill, Lovers in Japan, Death and all of his friends

2) A Rush Of Blood To The Head - Another great album and comes close to Viva but is let down by tracks like daylight and a whisper. Other than that it definitely my favourite from the first half of the naughties.

Top Tracks : Politik, In My Place, Clocks, The Scientist, Warning sign

3) X&Y - Love the synths and electronica in this album. Great tracks and a great hour spent listening. Has I message in it that I love to hear.

Top Tracks: Fix you, talk, speed of sound, a message, swallowed in the sea

4) Parachutes - Not my least favourite but I just dont feel as connected to it as the others. Still classic stuff here.

Top Tracks: Yellow, Trouble, Don't Panic, Everythings not lost, We never change

I'm a fan of A Whisper...

anyway,

1. X & Y: The first Coldplay album I listened to from start to finish. I don't know, sometimes it drags on a bit and bores (like the mid-end of Low) but overall it had the most rhythm and energy. I guess a criticism is that the "energy" is forced.

Top Tracks: White Shadows, Fix You, Twisted Logic, Talk, The Hardest Part

2. A Rush of Blood to the Head: Great stuff. It's the mid-range of the original Coldplay trilogy, and has some great songs. Tracks 1-5 are probably the best sequence of tracks Coldplay has had. Somehow, though, it shifts into a lower gear in the middle (Green Eyes, Warning Sign) and while those two are great tracks, it's the small bit that pushes it below X&Y.

Top Tracks: Daylight, Amsterdam, Politik, The Scientist, A Whisper

3. Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends: After its initial release, I was impressed with Coldplay's evolution on this album. For some reason, though, many of the songs just don't have that same kick of the past albums. I can't explain it. Guy, Will and Jonny were turned up on this one, and I feel that it should be number one, but this doesn't evoke the emotions the same way as the past albums. It's only because of a few top-notch tracks that this beats Parachutes.

Top Tracks: Death and All His Friends, Life in Technicolor, Viva La Vida, 42

4. Parachutes: Premier soft rock. This is a personal taste issue: this just wasn't as good as the others, and tracks like High Speed and Sparks seemed to drag on. High Speed fit much better in the Blue Room EP, which is one of my favorite records of Coldplay's. It's good, though, since bands should improve with each record.

Top Tracks: Don't Panic, Trouble, Yellow, Shiver, [Life is for Living]

1.- A Rush of Blood to the Head

Well yes, one of my favourites albums of the whole time. Strong, constant and solid album. Begining with an epic song and ending amazingly. There's only a weak song. (A whisper isn't bad at all, but it's just soo repetitive). This album contains a mix of the dark coldplay, and the lovely coldplay, it stands just there in the middle between darkness and sadness; love and bliss. And that was a perfect mix for music, vocals and lyrics. But what makes this album so special, even more than that, is the passion.

Top songs: God put a smile upon your face, Clocks, The Scientist, A rush of blood to the head, Amsterdam, Politik, Green eyes. (Making a top 7 was waay harder than I thought, I feel bad for the other songs :p)

2.- Viva la Vida or Death and all his Friends

This album is probably the one where their musicianship stands out more. Refreshing sounds and lyrics and getting more into rock. Each track perfectly put into order. If you want to get a little into experimenting and art rock, but without risking too much, then this the correct album. Catchy melodies over a variety of musical colors. What else can you ask for then? Why is it number 2 then? Well precisely because they did not risk enough.

Top songs: 42, Viva la Vida, Violet Hill, Death and all his Friends, Strawberry Swing, Chinese Sleep Chant, Lovers In japan, Yes, Life in Technicolor. (oh sorry making even a top 8 was impossible)

3.- Parachutes

It depends mostly on my mood. But with classics such as Don't Panic and Yellow this is a good soft album. Mellow and relaxing songs, with musics that leaves not only a good sensation in your ears, you feel like you can taste the sexy bass riff of sparks for example. What's the problem?

Well when I'm not in the mood, I hate this one to death for being too simple and cheesy. Generally I consider it their worst album, but I tried to make this with my head cold, eventhough I'm on a parachutes mood right now.

Top songs: Shiver, Yellow, Don't Panic, Spies, High Speed, Everything's not lost. (I feel bad for trouble, but I tried to made it as short as possible)

4.- X & Y

The problem with this one also, is not being constant, the first 2 albums on my list share the characteristic that both give you always the same feeling for them, either you like them or not (However most of the albums grow on you with time).

But x & y is waay underrated for me, although it is the fourth on my list. It futuristic sound, with those synths all around and guitar riffs. For me this is Guy's album. It's an easy listen but the problem is that coldplay were under pressure for making something good. They don't seem to be free of composing and doing what they wanted and seemed to be forced to release anything. And the result was an album on the edge of pop. This album could've been awesome if Chris did not sing again like he did on parachutes. But well I like this album anyway, very different to the others, track by track is awesome but as a whole...

Top songs: Square One, White Shadows, Speed of Sound, Low, Swallowed in the sea, Twisted Logic. (sorry for talk)

As a conclusion for me viva la vida and a rush are better because of the diversity of sounds, for example the predominant or stressed instruments on both (strins for viva and piano for a rush) are not repeated on all the songs, while on the others yes (acoustic guitar on parachutes and organs/synths on x and y).

But each coldplay album is unique, and has a different mood than the other, therefore, you can't compare them at all

rant over :P

Edit: omfg I forgot about we never change and cemeteries of london!

Ha, wow, wasn't expecting so many responses since it's a bit of work to come up with the list, lol. It's really interesting reading each others responses. I think the top 5 tracks part is VERY hard... that took me a while for some albums...

Thanks all who are participating! :D

1) - 2) A Rush of Blood to the Head/Viva la Vida

I can't choose.I think they express very different moods so it really depends how I feel.VLV is much more optimistic in the end , has VLV, Yes and 42.It's very instrumental, which I love. Strings and big drums. ROBTTH has Politik, Amsterdam, The Scientist and Green Eyes.Both albums blow me away very often.

3) Parachutes

One of the best first album of all times I believe.It's amazing.....Yellow, Don't Panic and Shiver.

4) X&Y

It's not a bad album.But I don't listen to it very often.The other three seem more natural. As the biys say, it's a bit too long. One of some of my favorite Coldplay songs is on it, Til Kingdom Comes, Swallowed in the Sea and of course Fix You.I love the live Talk version (this tour).

1) X&Y: for me, it's the album where i like all the songs, and the ones that i love (which are most of them) are not just good, they're amazing. although people say this album is overproduced, i must disagree. i dont think it's possible for music to be overproduced. it's all music nonetheless. i also disagree on albums being able to be too long. it's just more songs to choose from in my opinion. plus, i never just listen all the way through an album anyways. this album to me has the most wonderful melodies and tunes. those two aspects of music are the most important and memorable to me. this album also contains my favorite cp song ever....TALK!!! :heart:

2&3) i really cannot chose between Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends and A Rush of Blood to the Head. they are both extremely good albums, but they are just so different. i guess depending on my mood, either one could be # 2 or # 3. VLVDAAHF is almost 100% wonderful to me, but (please dont kill me) im annoyed with lovers in japan. i've had too much of that song, and it's always been my least favorite from that album anyways. every other song is wonderful though. AROBTTH is awesome as well. but (and again, PLEASE dont kill me!!) im not that into the scientist (although i do think it's lovely) i just never understood all the hype surrounding that song. im also not too keen on daylight or a whisper, but i do think all of the songs on the album are good.

4) Parachutes: because in all, it's a bit too much of a downer album. too sad most of the time. and i also find most of the songs to be a bit too obscure for my tastes, although i dont hate any of the songs. i really love dont panic and shiver though.

1 - A Rush of Blood to the Head(The Scientist, In My Place, God Put a Smile Upon Your Face, Clocks)

2 - Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends( LiT, Cemeteries of London, Lost, 42, LiJ, Chinese Sleep Chant, Viva La Vida, Violet Hill, Death and All His Friends -- just couldn't narrow it down any farther!)

3 - X&Y(What If, Fix You, Talk, Speed of Sound, The Hardest Part)

4 - Parachutes(Don't Panic, Shiver, Yellow, Trouble)

To be honest, these are all in my top 8 albums of all time, and were really tough to get into this order, and I'm still not sure whether the last 3 are in the right order, but I know my #1 is right!

1) A Rush Of Blood To The Head - It's just my favorite album ever. Starts off with hits and ends so calm. It's just amazing start to finish. Just absolutely amazing. Even more amazing that a band could put this out as their sophomore album.

Top 5 : The Scientist, Amsterdam, Green Eyes, Warning Sign, A Rush Of Blood To The Head

2) Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends - Every song is solid and I love the new direction. I loe the new rhythm and effects. Problem I'd have with it is it probably lacking the more emotional lyrics we're so used it. It's great ut it's definatlely not as epic as AROBTTH.

Top 5 : Strawberry Swing, Death and All His Friends, 42, Lovers In Japan, Viva La Vida

3) Parachutes - So calming. I preger listening to this one all at once because it just gets you into a very nice mood. Very raw, which I love. Not too much I dislike about the album other than it not having too much variety I guess?

Top 5 : Everything's Not Lost, Yellow, Sparks, Shiver, Don't Panic

4) X&Y - Individually, there's some absolutely great songs. But as a whole, It just doesn't feel as complete. I still love the album, I'm not an X&Y hater, but you know, just not as much as the other albums.

Top 5 : Square One, Swallowed In The Sea, Speed Of Sound, Fix You, White Shadows

1. AROBTTH- From the starting thuds of Politik to the beautiful Amsterdam, this album is my all time favorite. I remember listening to it when I was little, brings back so many memories, and since then I knew coldplay was going to be my favorite band:heart:

Top 4- Amsterdam, A Rush of Blood to the Head, Poltik, Daylight

2. Parachutes- I love this album so much! In a way it's almost like a story for me. And i dont know just everything I listen to it, it makes me feel all warm and happy inside:smiley:

Top 4- High Speed, Everything's not Lost, Don't Panic, Trouble

3. X&Y- This album is actully really good, Square One just starts out the album banging:D but some weak points on it for me were What If and The Hardest Part.

Top 4- Twisted Logic, Low, Square One, White Shadows

4. Viva la Vida- I remember first hearing this and being completly dissappointed. Though it has grown on me It's still not Coldplay's best in my opinion.

Top 4- Cemeteries of London, Violet Hill, Yes, Lovers in Japan

Man, asking me to rank the albums is like asking me which of my chilren I like most! I love them all equally!

But...if I had to rank 'em, I guess (at this moment in time) this is how I would rank them.

1. Viva La Vida or Death and all of his Friends

I feel such an emotional connection to this album right now. I LOVE all the songs, with the exception of the Chinese Sleep Chant. It's too monotonous.

Best: Cemetaries of London, Lost!, Yes, Viva La Vida, Violet Hill

So So: Satisfy

2. X&Y

So, most say this is the worst of Coldplay's albums, but I just love most of the stuff on here and find it to be easy to listen to. It's nice.

Best: Square One, Twisted Logic, Swallowed in the Sea, Fix You

So So: Talk (eh...I don't care for it too much)

3. Parachutes

I love this album! It's so chill and mellow. It's just a good album to sit down and relax to.

Best: Don't Panic, Shiver, Sparks, High Speed

So So: Life is Worth Living....not my fav.

4. A Rush of Blood to the Head

For me, this album is a little hit and miss. Out of all the albums, it has the most songs I care the least for, but it starts and finishes strong.

Best: Politik, The Scientist, Clocks, Amsterdam

So So: A Whisper, God Put a Smile on Your Face

So...in conclusion, I think they are all awesome albums, but I was forced to rank!!!

1. Parachutes - Awesome album, love the simplicity and great tunes. A band making their first album without any pressure or a care in the world. When I get back into a Coldplay mood, its usually to listen to this album.

Top songs

1. Don't Panic

2. Trouble

3. Spies

4. Shiver

2. A Rush of Blood To The Head - If some of these songs didn't get played to death, I'm sure I would like this album much more. (i.e. I've heard Clocks played way too many times by kids on pianos in my life). But it also contains a few of my favourite songs. The title track is brilliant, great lyrics, great passion in the song, just pure awesomeness.

Top songs

1. A Rush of Blood to the Head

2. Amsterdam

3. Politik

4. Warning Sign

Big gap between the first two albums.

3. Viva la Vida - Not my favourite thing in the world. But its not horrible either. Album has never really resonated with my soul, but some of the songs are fun. Like Cemetaries of London. I can't listen to that without singing along. There are just too many dull moments for my liking.

Top songs

1. Yes

2. Cemetaries of London

3. Death and All His Friends

4. X&Y - When you try your best but you don't suceed. This album has corporate pressure from EMI stamped all over it. I loved it when it came out, but some of the stuff that happened in the X&Y era completely turned me off the band.

Top songs

1. A Message

2. The Hardest Part

3. Low

#1. X&Y - This was the first Coldplay album I ever got, and I fell in love with it ever since. I love their songs Talk, Fix You, Swallowed in the Sea, and Twisted Logic.

#2. Viva la Vida - To me this album almost feels like a journey, it just takes me away from the real world. My favorites are Violet Hill, Lovers in Japan/Reign of Love, and Viva la Vida.

#3. A Rush of Blood to the Head - From start to finish it stays awesome. I love the Scientist and Amsterdam, and the title song is amazing, too.

Parachutes - I feel REALLY bad, but I haven't listened to the whole album yet, since I don't own it. I have heard the awesomeness of Yellow and Trouble, but I can't get the album yet, I just don't have any money (bad times right now).