✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Battles

i'm very sorry if there is already a thread on these guys but i tried to search for one and couldnt find any. and if there is in fact no thread on this band, WHY!!

a dude called Brian Eno got me listening to these guys earlier this morning. and he says that Coldplay are quite big fans of them also so i thought hey if they like them i should check them out. WOW this band shits on other avant-garde bands (thats right Animal Collective im looking at you) i've wasted precious study hours awing over this bands brilliance since i discovered them THIS MORNING hahaha.

Their debut album Mirrored which averaged 86 on Metacritic giving them Universal Acclaim status. they came in at No.8 on Pitchfork's end of year list and made the top 10 on half a dozen other lists.

Here it is in full.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=6D2D5D6045C588E0

this would be very embarassing if there is a thread on these guys somewhere on cping but if not it will be worth the risk.

I bought their debut album when it came out. Some crazy playing on that album. The first song sounds like robots on acid.

There are a couple EPs that came out before it, and I think they were combined to make an album, but I don't have that one yet.

they seem like the sort of band who spend ages in the studio trying to make the perfect album. so wouldn't be surprised if we dont get anything from them for another year or so. i would like to see them work with Brian Eno, that will produce some interesting work.

^^

different bands work in different ways. for example led zeppelin wrote and recorded most of their epic albums in under a month. similarly i dont believe jack white has ever spent more than a few weeks in the studio with any of his 9 albums. portishead took over a decade to make the Third haha.

• 2 weeks later...
^^

different bands work in different ways. for example led zeppelin wrote and recorded most of their epic albums in under a month. similarly i dont believe jack white has ever spent more than a few weeks in the studio with any of his 9 albums. portishead took over a decade to make the Third haha.

Yes, and The Beatles recorded 13 albums in only 7 years. Current bands usually don't do that anymore, though...it's a rarity. The Mars Volta and Animal Collective have put out an album every year or two years, though, so they're two of the exceptions to the rule.

I'd love to hear a sophmore album from these guys, though. The debut album is so good. :cool:

i love chris martin's reaction when he saw them live "oh my God what are they doing!!"

haha. i'm sure he's not the only person who has had that reaction to them.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5LvoBRS1Mk]YouTube - Battles on Later![/ame]

where would we be without Jools......

Battles' Tyondai Braxton Preps Solo LP

While we all wait to see what kind of mutant urchin fight music Battles will come up with next, the group's big-haired, chipmunk-on-speed vocalist/multi-instrumentalist Tyondai Braxton is readying a solo album. The LP, Central Market, is out September 15 in the U.S. (Sept. 14 in the UK) courtesy of your friends at Warp.

The record is a follow-up to 2002's History That Has No Effect (Braxton has been peddling his distinct brand of real-time, loop-based weirdness for about a decade) and is set to feature the same mix of electronics, guitar pedals, and polyrhythm percussion that has made him something of a godhead to prog dudes too cool to love Yes. The Wordless Music Orchestra-- who brought Johnny Greenwood's modern classical piece "Popcorn Superhet Receiver" to life last year-- help Braxton realize his skewed vision on the album. Modern composition grad students, get ready for some ace study music.

http://pitchfork.com/news/35648-battles-tyondai-braxton-preps-solo-lp/

• 1 year later...