✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Chris's Viva la Vida Guitar

TyM218

"there is someone around here who knows it best i guess, i think his name is fakfak"

You flatter me!:wink3:

Chris uses Gibson Custom Shop Blues King Reissues for the current tour. He has four of them. (Jonny also has one, but he doesn't seem to use it live much).

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Small-Body/Gibson-Acoustic/Blues-King.aspx

"Can you post some pictures?"

46862_2.jpg

(you can also see Will's Dobro at the back of the rack.)

"Jonny has one as well?"

He plays it in the Violet Hill and LiJ videos, I assume it's his because it's painted differently than any of the one's Chris has.

litrc8.jpg

will uses his doboro for death will never conquer, doesn't he?

who play's what in that song actually?? Guy a mandolin (what kind of mandolin is it?), will a guitar, chris? (blues harp?) Jonny?(maybe the tambourine?)

i only heard the song form live performances, never seen it (never been to a concert... thank god there's DVDs)

"will uses his doboro for death will never conquer, doesn't he?"

Yes. He also plays it for most of the other songs they play acoustic (except for The Monkees cover)

"who play's what in that song actually?? Guy a mandolin (what kind of mandolin is it?), will a guitar, chris? (blues harp?) Jonny?(maybe the tambourine?)"

I think that's actually the correct list of what they all play, but I could be wrong on that.

"do you have information on the mandolin and the "tuning" of the blues harp?"

From the look of it, it looks like an old style Gibson mandolin, but I't hard to find any pictures of it where you get a close enough look to be sure.

As for the harp, I would assume it follows the standard practice of being in whatever key they play DWNC live in, but I'm not sure off the top of my head what key that is.

I started a thread here when I decided to paint my acoustic (http://coldplaying.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54268)

Below are three different paint jobs I have done - to keep my guitar somewhat safe, I start by layering blue painters tape where I plan to eventually paint.

The first few times, I would then paint the blue painters tape white and then use that as a canvas.

The most recent guitar was done a little differently. I still used the painters tape to protect the guitar, but then I put white duct tape on in and preceded to paint.

I have used just regular, cheap, acrylic paint. Once I'm happy with the project, I use a varnish to make it shine, as well as keeping the paint from chipping off -

Cheers!

Tyler

1photo.jpg

newpaint.jpg

guitar1.jpg

"i had never seen the first one:S in which songs does he play it?"

I'm not sure he assigns specific ones to specific songs. From the live clips I've seen, he seems to swap them around fairly randomly. My guess would be that apart from the main one (which he keeps in standard tuning-2nd from front in pic), his tech probably just tunes one up as the song calls for it and hands it to him, rather than using a specific guitar for each tuning. It's also very possible that at least one is a backup for the main guitar, and doesn't get used live much.

"and what's the guitar at the end of the rack standing on the floor with the white capo on the head? the les paul?"

After blowing up that section of the photo, the neck looks like a "six to a side" fender headstock, so my guess would be it's one of the tele custom's. Can't be sure though...

I started a thread here when I decided to paint my acoustic (http://coldplaying.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54268)

Below are three different paint jobs I have done - to keep my guitar somewhat safe, I start by layering blue painters tape where I plan to eventually paint.

The first few times, I would then paint the blue painters tape white and then use that as a canvas.

The most recent guitar was done a little differently. I still used the painters tape to protect the guitar, but then I put white duct tape on in and preceded to paint.

I have used just regular, cheap, acrylic paint. Once I'm happy with the project, I use a varnish to make it shine, as well as keeping the paint from chipping off -

Cheers!

Tyler

1photo.jpg

newpaint.jpg

guitar1.jpg

Thanks so much for the small tutorial! :)

painted acoustic guitars in different songs

46862_2.jpg

can anybody tell me what guitar is used for what song (i guess the capos help)?

I'll try to help! :nice:

1st one on the right side with the face is/was used for "Yes" (I think it might be a backup)

2nd one is used for "42", "Violet Hill", I think "Life in Technicolor"

3rd one in from the right side is used for "Yellow" sometimes and "Strawberry Swing"

I think either the 2nd one or the 4th one is repainted cuz I haven't seen it at recent concerts...:thinking:

Now there's one that's purple and redish with white areas. Used for many songs.

Isn't that one the 2nd from the front?

This is the "purple and redish one with white areas" guitar I was talking about. :cool:

I remember Chris said he painted it himself: "No me llores" (don't cry for me).

ColdplayChrisPlayingGuitar.jpg

VivaLaVidaChrisGuitarHePainted.jpg

^ He said he painted this one too. This one came before the other one.

So maybe this one is now reserved as a spare. I haven't seen him play it at any recent concerts.

This is just a THEORY: They could actually be the same guitar if - the pickup across the hole was taken out and the hole was sealed AND it was repainted by Chris again and is now the top one!

VivaLaVidaGroup10.jpg

^ And then there's this one which I only ever see in photos....

sooo many different painted guitars.. soo confusing! :shocked2: