✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Disappointed in setlists for Europe

I was sure I read somewhere that they said they were going to play longer shows for the stadium tour and add some new songs. Am I wrong or did anybody else expect this as well. Songs like Trouble, Square one, What if, White Shadows, Rainy day, chineese sleep chant. or maybe play talk the full version and use sleep chant instead on the b-stage. I am not attending any of these shows but I guess I would like to see them change it up a little bit.

I just posted my theory on the Hannover thread. Chris was sick the week between Tampa and Europe. I think the band may have planned on rehearsing additional material during that time, but because Chris was sick, they didn't have the chance. Perhaps they would prefer to stick with the tried and true, rather than something that may not be perfect. I know they briefly added Speed of Sound, but maybe they weren't happy with the way it sounded/worked out, even though to us, and i"ve seen videos, it was amazing.

At the beginning of the tour, in July 2008, Chinese Sleep Chant was on the setlist - but I think it may have been one of those "silhouette" songs that Chris has mentione. You know, where the band sees the silhouettes of people heading out the doors to get a hot dogs during less well known/liked songs.

I just posted my theory on the Hannover thread. Chris was sick the week between Tampa and Europe. I think the band may have planned on rehearsing additional material during that time, but because Chris was sick, they didn't have the chance. Perhaps they would prefer to stick with the tried and true, rather than something that may not be perfect. I know they briefly added Speed of Sound, but maybe they weren't happy with the way it sounded/worked out, even though to us, and i"ve seen videos, it was amazing.

At the beginning of the tour, in July 2008, Chinese Sleep Chant was on the setlist - but I think it may have been one of those "silhouette" songs that Chris has mentione. You know, where the band sees the silhouettes of people heading out the doors to get a hot dogs during less well known/liked songs.

I like your theory, dianne! Let's hope it's that, they really should play longer (but then this's been a problem with Coldplay forever, it seems).

But, CSC was played for much more of this tour than that - I saw them play it twice in December in London (on separate nights of course!) And, true, it was a song people take a break for (I did myself because it felt a little lightweight in an arena the way they presented it - I just don't think the stage set-up did it justice). Unfortunately, I think the way the band obsess about things like that - because people WILL always take a break at some point, like it or not - means that we get less experimentation and fewer obscure songs; less risk. It also means I guess that we get shorter shows, because the band would rather play I think to a constantly-enthralled audience for 1hr30 than play 2hrs and have a minority switching off from time to time...

They suck in their setlists, no diversity of material has been played. The same crap every night since July 14, 2008 @ The Forum in LA. Or should I go back to even the start of the tour on June 16, 2008 at Brixton? :confused: :furious3:

I mentioned above about some songs that would be nice to see in the setlist, I know some bands use a couple of songs that you would use as a rover song. So some where in the setlist, usually in the encore, you could play one of these songs. So if you are playing the same venue 2 or 3 nights in a row sometimes, its nice to have atleast 1 song different from the night before. And it keeps you guessing what they might play for that extra song. I know the production thing with the lights, screens all have to be programmed. But at the start of the tour you pick maybe 3 songs and have the production done for them, so it should be easy to put them in the set.

I'll probably get beaten for saying this :P but I quite like the set list they have adopted (runs and hides)... I think the songs work well live and flow well from one into another... Especially the ones on the main stage... A good performance and setlist needs the songs to flow well to keep momentum and energy and stop there being 'boring' bits or lulls. Maybe the don't change it also because it works well and gets the crowd going. Then again, I haven't been to loads of shows this tour so maybe it just doesn't bother me they don't change it...

I think that maybe coldplaying fans just spend too much time on here looking at setlists and go to too many concerts!!! :laugh3:

When they played two consecutive nights in Rotterdam they altered the setlist a bit, I thought that was nice. We got to hear snippets of Amsterdam and Trouble and Chris played Reign of Love after Politik.

Í am a little disappointed too that the setlist hasn't changed much.