✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Hey, kid, you'd better make that pledge

Electric.Candy

There's this ten-year-old kid at West Fork Elementary in the States who refused to say the Pledge of Allegiance because there was no "liberty and justice for all in America", as stated in said pledge. He was particularly vehement about there being no justice for homosexuals in America.

The teacher got mad at him and told him to stand up and recite. The kid told her to go jump off a bridge.

This kid is made of pure win.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.

There would be times while I was living in the states or was visiting where everyone would say the pledge of allegiance and I would be all :uhoh: because I didn't know it (and had issues with the brainlessness of it) and some of them would get upset at me.

That's usually where I'd just be like "hi. I'm from Canada."

Countries need people who can think and care. I don't think the mindless obedient sheep thing does anyone much good. (Neither does apathy, but that's another story...)

Perhaps what is wrong is forced recital at such an early age, since it is an indoctrination into loyalty without first offering the choice to understand the oath, and allowing students the right to considering if they want to swear allegiance to it (as symbolically represented by the flag).

But the" with Liberty and Justice for All" part is the ideal we should all try and live up to as Americans - falling short of that is the real problem! This is what we need to reach for, and the gap between reality and ideal is where the problem is. I think it's good to recite that part, as it does reinforce what our ideals are, and that we need to fight for equal justice then when corruption and inequality corrodes the scales of justice.

Don't other states have pledges of allegiance?

We did both pledges every morning at my school, btw.

oh okay, interesting. In grade school we just had the regular pledge of allegiance. In hindsight, its sort of funny that its 'to the flag of the united states of america'.

Free country my ass.

ain't you norwegian?

Not in spain

Maybe because of this: Its sad, but it remains me something my parents explain me about singing at the beggining of the day at schools, obligating the kids to salute the flag using the fascist salute. (i have to say it also happened in cinemas, public acts, etc... you know... we have had a fascist dictator for 40 years... )

Now nobody (NOBODY) will obligate you to sing any kind of 'patriotical' or any kind of this stuff at school (y si alguien lo hiciese se montaria un lio monumental).

Obligate somebody to do something like this can cause some type of allergic reaction about this 'something'

I know its NOT the same. but I'm a little bit sensible with this kind of things just because all the things that happened here in spain.

Its only a thought

Don't other states have pledges of allegiance?

We did both pledges every morning at my school, btw.

At my school, we had to say the pledge of allegiance, the texas pledge of allegiance, and sing My Country Tis of Thee. :freak:

What school in Texas did YOU go to? :inquisitive:

I do remember the Texas pledge from elementary days. I don't remember ever having to sing anything, however.

EDIT: I give major props to that kid. Srsly. :thumbsup:

The States are so patriotic it gets scarry :(

When I was in elementary school after 9/11 absolutely every little kid there wanted to go to Afghanistan and fight for the country and we knew all the words to like 10 patriotic songs because we sang a different one each day of the week before school, which we thought was totally awesome :freak: I can't believe I was so fucking brainwashed then. Waauuuughh.