✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

12 Coldplay Months of 2009: FEBRUARY (Eleven superstars together!)

Lore

Recording Sessions!

February started with news about the recording sessions, which included some news from inside the studio and reports about how the band “banned” Chris from the studio. Chris said: "The letter was to all of us he said that he thought the last album was OK but it could have been much better. He said that he still wanted to work with us on the next album but that I was banned from the studio! He said that it would be better without me for the first two weeks - 'You can do better without the singer'! He said. It has turned out to be a good idea though because the band's been free to try out loads of weird things without me getting in the way."

bak02.jpg

Coldplay split? Of course not!, Roadie 42 posted: “When I say "the fellas", there is one person notably absent from these sessions. Chris has been banned from the studio for these first two weeks. Now, before the rumour mill cranks its way excitedly into life, this does not indicate any kind of split in the camp. This is an experiment of Brian's (a phrase I feel I may have a hard time not over-using as the project progresses). Rather than have Chris's demo recordings come in fully-formed, leading the songs in a particular direction, Will, Guy and Jonny are constructing their own musical underpinning with little idea of what Chris had in mind. For many of the tracks, they hear nothing but the vocal track.

North American Tour Announced

Feb 5th, Anchorman posted in coldplay’s twitter

Hey folks, we've got some quite big news to announce on http://www.coldplay.com tomorrow at 12noon UK time. Anchorman

That was discussed here and here, and coldplayers ideas involved Live DVD release, US/Latin America/Asia Tourdates, Postcards From Far Away Project news and many more crazy ideas!

The day after the mysterious tweet, The band announced another leg of the Viva La Vida North American Tour. The band have also promised that more shows, which will take place outside of North America, will be announced on Monday (February 9th).

Coldplay Perform "I'm a Believer" at MusiCares Gala Honouring Neil Diamond

Coldplay performed at the MusiCares Person of the Year tribute honouring Neil Diamond on Friday, Feb. 6, 2009, in Los Angeles. Coldplay played a stripped-down version of "I'm A Believer".

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLISoY8WF80]YouTube- Coldplay at MusiCares Person of the Year: "I'm a Believer"[/ame]

When we heard about the band covering IAB at the Gala we feared that we might never hear or see their cover. I seems they liked it however because they played the song at the C-Stage at concerts later, too!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1RvcuqOtQM]YouTube- Coldplay - Viva La Vida Tour Japão 15/02/09 - I'm A Believer[/ame]

Full article and great pics here

Grammy Awards 2009

Coldplay was nominated in 7 categories for the 2009 Grammy Awards, the Awards Ceremony took place during february 8th and the band performed a medley consisting of "Lost?+" with Jay-Z and Viva la Vida

[ame=http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x974ii_coldplay-ft-jayz-lost-51stannual-gr_music]Dailymotion - Coldplay ft. Jay-Z - Lost (51st_Annual Grammys) - um video do canal Música@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x974ii@@AMEPARAM@@x974ii[/ame]

Phil Harvey posted live updates on twitter from backstage. Chris seemed nervous and Roadie 42 sent a report. A sweet Revenge?. All the videos and info here.

grammyupdates.jpg

The band won in the following categories

- Song Of The Year (Viva La Vida)

- Best Pop Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals (Viva La Vida)

- Best Rock Album

the pictures from the Grammy Awards became a much loved and discussed subject in the picture threads

More tourdates announced

After the North American tourdates announcement, Anchorman announced concerts in Singapore and Hong Kong. Some sources also talked about a concert in Dubai, which the band's official site confirmed later.

Coldplay's Band Rules List Revealed on 60 Minutes

Coldplay were interviewed on 60 Minutes, and as a part of the interview, reporter Steve Kroft wandered around the band's studio, making mention of a list of band rules hanging on the wall. The camera looked at the list ever so-briefly.

1. Albums be no longer than 42 minutes, 9 tracks.

2. Production must be amazing, but with space, not overlayered, less tracks, more quality, groove and swing. Drums/rhythm are the most crucial thing to concentrate on; diff. between bittersweet and science of silence. [A reference to The Verve and Richard Ashcroft solo]

3. Computers are instruments, not recording aids.

4. Imagery must be classic, colourful and different. Come back in glorious technicolor.

5. Make sure videos and pictures are great before setting release date. And highly original.

6. Always keep mystery. Not many interviews.

7. Groove and swing. Rhythms and sounds must always be as original as possible. Once jon has melody twist it and weird it sonical.

8. Promo/review copies to be on VINYL. Stops copying problem, sounds and looks better. [Ed. Note: My Viva La Vida promo was in CD format]

9. Jacqueline sabriado, ns p c c, face forward.

10. Think about what you do with charity account. Set up something small but really enabling and constructive. Ref j oliver fifteen [a reference to Jamie Oliver's Fifteen Restaurant]

Postcards Project: Postcards Delivery!

February 16: Coldplaying's 'Postcards From Far Away' Project: Update Expected Today

postcardsstamp_1.jpgEverything started with a Message from Debs

Hi everyone! Well I got back from London earlier and all I will tell you at this moment is.... The postcards were delivered yesterday and it was AMAZING!! They were SO chuffed. I promise there will be a lot more news on this subject but not right now. Bear with me... Well done guys, you did yourselves proud! As you know things round here are always subject to change and you might have noticed we've been a bit busy! But.... have a few days off and I'll see you Monday! I'm right in thinking the project was started in Chile yes? So it seems only fair to wait until Chile are up and about so you'll have to wait until later folks!

After some hours, months after the project started, the band posted a video on their official site as a way to say thanks to everyone who was involved in the project.

"Good afternoon. Just before Christmas, the fine folks at Coldplay fansite Coldplaying.com came up with the terrific idea of sending the band postcards from across the world. Hundreds of fans did just that. Below is Roadie #42's film of the band reading them at The Bakery a couple of weeks ago (soundtracked, of course, by the song which inspired the project, Postcards From Far Away)."

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvGLyTbknl8]YouTube- Coldplay - Postcards Project Delivery Video[/ame]

The Story behind The Coldplay "postcards day" here

Coldplay To Give Away New Album

In an interview, Chris announced a new album... for free! "What we want to do is try to giveaway a live album for free. We’re playing a lot of shows in the summer and I think what we would like to do is — bearing in mind the recession we are in — record the live album then give it as a gift. We are just trying to work out how to do that. It’s obviously a bit tricky in terms of record contracts and things but it would be great. It’s a way of saying thank you."

Brit Awards - Warchild concert

February 19 was a crazy day for the band and the fans, the guys attended the Brit Awards (they didn't win any award) and after that they played in the Warchild concert at 02 Shepherd's Bush Empire. The performance celebrated the charity's 15th birthday and launch its latest album, Heroes, to support work with children in war zones around the world. The Killers also played there. Chris Martin said "In our eyes, War Child is one of the world's most important charities, and The Killers are one of our favourite bands, so playing this concert is an absolute pleasure for us."

Lots of Coldplaying members attended the concert and they even had the chance to talk with Coldplay's 5th member, Phil Harvey. Phil told them he visits coldplaying.com forums and since that day, the thread dedicated to Phil Harvey (Phil is hot thread), turned into the perfect place to say hi to him!

During Coldplay's set, Take That singer Gary Barlow joined them onstage, to perform Back For Good

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hvCk2zZ3qU]YouTube- Coldplay - Back for good feat. Gary Barlow @ 02 Shepherd's Bush Empire, War Child[/ame]

The concert was closed with an impromptu collaboration between Coldplay, Flowers and U2 singer Bono who performed a version of The Killers track 'All These Things That I've Done'.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZxCkVH_zxA]YouTube- The Killers & Coldplay - All these thing that I've done feat. Gary Barlow, Bono @ War Child[/ame]

As always, Roadie 42 posted a great review of the crazy day!

Making of Life In Technicolor ii video

it's all about the creepy puppets :P

"Good morning. Click below to watch a terrific "making of" film for Coldplay's Life In Technicolor ii video (big thanks to the video's producer, Matthew Fone, for sending it over). Look out tomorrow for an in-depth interview with the video's director, Dougal Wilson, in which he tells us all about the puppets, the village hall and why Jonny isn't in the helicopter which crashes through the window at the end..."

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFAC1v94xPg]YouTube- Making of Life in Technicolor ii Video - Coldplay.com[/ame]

The Australian Tour Begins!

The start of the Australian tour involved a Jet lag and also an acoustic set announcement, for Bushfire Benefit Shows. The guys also had the chance to enjoy the summer. The band kicked off their Viva tour of Australia before 17,000 fans at Perth's Burswood Dome

JLag.jpg

setlist.jpg

Guest howyousawtheworld

February was excellent as a Coldplay fan and on a personal level as well. That time seems like 5 years ago now.