Eurovision Contest -2010

iboware

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuck it, we didn't need to win.

We've won too many times before.

7 times, with three in a row from 1992 to 1994 bitches.

:tongue:

:laugh3:

We were pretty shit this year...and last year...and the year before...so on a so forth.

You should have entered my lovely horse

Well, I'm pretty sure that MANY people wouldn't even remember Katrina & The Waves let alone Brotherhood of Man as they were too young to have watched the Eurovision Song Contest or (like it was named back then) Grand Prix de la Chanson in 1997 or 1976 ;)

Plus the UK (and Ireland) always had some kind of advantage as they sang in english.

In former times the participants had to sing in their mother language and honestly, many countries didn't have a chance, as their language just sounded strange and you couldn't figure out what the artist were singing about.

This is no criticism! :) ;)

I for one always prefered the english sung song ... awwww ... Johnny Logan springs to mind (I know that he's NOT british! ;) ).

What about Bucks Fizz?? Even if people say they were crap, their song was catchy and created good vibes :)

Nowadays many songs are heavy with meaning or just too sentimental. Not the song makes the winner but the whole performance and most of the time the fact of how in dishabille the (mostly female) artist appears.

And it was/is about politics! :(

Neighbouring countries would give each other highest points sometimes because people living near the border would just go over to vote from there for their own country.

Like Sarah said, long gone are the times where it was the song which really mattered :\

But for once I won't moan about all this as we succeeded. :D After a VERY long time! :)

Our last Eurovision/Grand Prix win was back in 1982! 28 years ago! Some of you are not even as old as that :laugh3:

Therefore I'm not in the slightest ashamed that we maybe won with a shit song or else ... ;)

It was about time that we would do good for a change!

And again I have to say that Sarah made a good point:

When the casting for the ESC began and Lena was chosen, everyone had some kind of gut feeling that we actually could do better with this song than in the years before.

Although I have to admit that we ALWAYS said that about our participants the years before and then we were gobsmacked again that we ended up last or at the VERY bottom with some few mercy points. :( :laugh3:

So this time we said, 'let us at least end up somewhere Top 10! PLEASE!' and we felt really chuffed when we got 12 points from several countries not just being our neighbours. Many countries gave 6 points, 8 points, 10 points. Spread all across Europe.

Music is always about personal taste. So you just can't have everyone on your side and it's good like that :)

Even though I was ROTFL (= rolling over the floor laughing!) while their performance, I kinda liked Greece's contribution. Funny & catchy.

Also thought Belgium's song was nice. But like I said, people have different tastes.

I'm currently just enjoying this paroxysm of joy for winning this event after such a long time. And even if the song is shit, her 'strange accent' maybe adopted and her 'dance style' weird ... the song is catchy :) At least I think so.

Okay, this is NOT meant as criticism nor as a justification and I only quote 'passenger' because of that Katrina & The Waves/Brotherhood Of Man reference.

Just see it as some very random ramblings of someone who's for once happy with the results of the ESC :D :) :smug:

P.S. I am honestly a bit sad that countries which kinda 'ruled' the ESC/Grand Prix (eyeing over to the UK) in earlier years are now kinda ending up at the very bottom :(

Ehm... right. :D No, there's def some truth in it. ;)

Purpose was to give some examples of the long tradition of successful British Eurovision entries. Britain shouldn't give up. But maybe without Terry nothing is the same... lol

@Belge fans:

Did you see that he came first in the semifinal?! Unbelievable (for Belgium :laugh3:)!!!

Ehm... right. :D No, there's def some truth in it. ;)

Purpose was to give some examples of the long tradition of successful British Eurovision entries. Britain shouldn't give up. But maybe without Terry nothing is the same... lol

@Belge fans:

Did you see that he came first in the semifinal?! Unbelievable (for Belgium :laugh3:)!!!

He won the semifinal :stunned: awesome !! :awesome:

why is that funny ...

oh I get it :dozey: yeah you're right we used to suck, but Tom was good :snobby: :lol:

this is the worst we ever did :facepalm:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGJPFxOBEIA]YouTube- Eurovision 2008 - Belgium - Ishtar - O Julissi[/ame]

Who?:confused:

You don#t know Scooch?! lol

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBOnDcmckdc]YouTube- Eurovision Final 2007 UK - Scooch - Flying The Flag[/ame]

(It's an example of a really bad Eurovision entry. However, the British loved it and why shouldn't they compete with a song they like. ;))

Well, if you're English teacher has a dialect, you're likely to develop a similair one, no?

First of all you would need to find a teacher of English at a German grammar school who actually has a British accent. Those get rare. And even if they have an accent ... the way we learn English at school makes it hard for most of the students to develop any accent at all.

Sarah, brilliant photos! :stunned: Did you take all three yourself? Wow.

I watched a bit of Lena arriving and the concert / whatever it was on TV. I couldn't believe they actually had it on two different channels simultaneously! And they rescheduled so much. :confused: Many channels even interrupted their original program to show Lena's arrvial.

Madness over here, puuuure madness.