✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Damon Albarn thread.

eff-exx

David Tennant? There's a lot of love for him on this forum eh. :wacko:

I don't celebrate Halloween, so yeah. But if y'all do carve pumpkins anything Blur related, do post a picture! :wacko:

i LOVE david tennant. idk why. i started watching doctor who for him so yeah. idk where that obsession started but whatever, he's hot lol.

if i have time maybe i'll try 2 do something with their band logo or something idk.

Aww, we miss you too! It isnt easy to keep up with forums and tumblr,etc when we get back to work, its so easy when we are on holiday :lol:

:lol: That is such a cool idea, Oooh have you been watching David in that recent drama on BBC1? Its called 'Single Father'?

I wont carve a pumpkin, I havent really got time :lol: I am taking part in some event thing for Halloween, and the most I do will probably be to buy some sweets :laugh3: the exciting life I lead.

i hate working. it ruins everything. i have a bit of time now and tumblr is down! ugh. :cry:

i havent seen single father. i heard its really sad and he does a great job in it. im still on his 2nd season of doctor who, so when i finish that i will start his new show. hopefully i can find it online somewhere since i dont live in the uk. :confused:

candy is the best part of halloween! hope you have fun.

Hahah no I suck at carving anything :lol: my roomie did carve a pumpkin though, just a face on it .

tumblr_lb2ct0LKoJ1qahtpfo1_500.png

:mellow:

tumblr_lb1b5xkxtS1qahtpfo1_500.gif

:dead:

yea. im not that great, but we carve pumpkins with my niece so i try lol.

:stunned:

omg they are so cute. ive never seen this gif. :wink3:

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit my Jamion love has quadrupled since meeting them both and seeing how lovely they both are :wacky: Too bad I didn't get a pic with both of them.. me in the middle.. in a Jamion sandwich :wink3:

Oh and since Shani pointed out that Rosie is on twitter I followed her lastnight and she had posted something about adding her on Facebook or checking out her blog. So I added her on facebook and she accepted.. haha I'm laughing at a bunch of her profile pics are of her and Damon haha :lol: I think someone's got a lil crush on the boss man too lol.

33409_10150236463855385_625540384_13294017_5451561_n.jpg

lol look at them two

38778_10150258098990385_625540384_13921908_5933174_n.jpg

34480_10150231407575385_625540384_13153154_6195047_n.jpg

lol no wonder Damon wants to snuggle up to her... she was so warm and kind with everyone. i love rosie :nice:

cool. whats a link 2 her twitter.

Hahah no I suck at carving anything :lol: my roomie did carve a pumpkin though, just a face on it .

tumblr_lb2ct0LKoJ1qahtpfo1_500.png

:mellow:

tumblr_lb1b5xkxtS1qahtpfo1_500.gif

:dead:

DAMMIT do these 2 know what they do to us???? DO THEY?????? :stunned::stunned::stunned:

I have to admit my Jamion love has quadrupled since meeting them both and seeing how lovely they both are :wacky: Too bad I didn't get a pic with both of them.. me in the middle.. in a Jamion sandwich :wink3:

Oh and since Shani pointed out that Rosie is on twitter I followed her lastnight and she had posted something about adding her on Facebook or checking out her blog. So I added her on facebook and she accepted.. haha I'm laughing at a bunch of her profile pics are of her and Damon haha :lol: I think someone's got a lil crush on the boss man too lol.

lol look at them two

lol no wonder Damon wants to snuggle up to her... she was so warm and kind with everyone. i love rosie :nice:

Isn't she awesome? I know I can't stop gushing about her but I freaking :heart: her personality-I need to send her a thank you tweet seriously!!!! And she and Damon are so sweet together! :kiss:

omg this gif :laugh3:

PcsKkJ.gif

& rosie's twitter is: http://twitter.com/RosesGabor

LOOK at that sexy man go!!!!!!! :D:laugh3::D:laugh3:

I definitely will not be carving any pumpkins-one, I suck at it, and two ever since I had a freaking accident carving one when I was a kid (and have a faint scar from it-yes I'm a weenie-dork as it's put me off of it for life!:rolleyes:) But I for one want to see your guys'!!!!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

I'm sorry I just can't stop laughing at that gif.. what is this?? The Damon Albarn strip show.. might as well be with the saggin' pants and all :lol:

And yes Shani you DEF. should send Rosie a tweet... I see fans on there talking about meeting up and getting a bite to eat with her and she's totally cool with all of it :stunned: I thanked her last night and she replied back so nicely :nice:

I'm sorry I just can't stop laughing at that gif.. what is this?? The Damon Albarn strip show.. might as well be with the saggin' pants and all :lol:

And yes Shani you DEF. should send Rosie a tweet... I see fans on there talking about meeting up and getting a bite to eat with her and she's totally cool with all of it :stunned: I thanked her last night and she replied back so nicely :nice:

GIGGLES! People are actually asking her that! :laugh3: Yeah I think I may!

OOOOH! My sister told me something today that I didn't know and OMG it could have been useful information at the time...

This guy who had a professional-looking portfolio with him-which happened to include a pic of him with Damon from 97 when Blur played AZ-was hanging with us at the busses before the show (when I was clueless as to who were the ebay fucks)-and my sister asked if he was a journalist as he was carrying professional things-he got offended and told her 'I'm a fan!' LOL!!! And when Damon had to leave and peeps were bummed, I overheard him getting defensive again-'He signed something for me because I met him in 97!' or some shit like that. He was also hogging space at the gate, not letting anyone get up front. :angry:

Fucking tooooools! I swear that has to be one of their tactics.. acting like defensive fans :angry:

And yes I looked back even on Rosie's tweets from when my show was in Detroit and she had this tweet that said she needed someone to come up and clean her room and she would DM her address to whoever wanted to come hang out with her :stunned: I was like, ' well fuck! too bad I didnt follow you back then.. i would of hung out with Rosie in the hotel :lol: '

lol look at them two

Aww Rosie <3

She seems really really nice. I wish I can meet the whole lot of them.

i LOVE david tennant. idk why. i started watching doctor who for him so yeah. idk where that obsession started but whatever, he's hot lol.

if i have time maybe i'll try 2 do something with their band logo or something idk.

I think he acted in Harry Potter, yeah?

Halloween must be like a huge event overseas <3

omg this gif :laugh3:

PcsKkJ.gif

& rosie's twitter is: http://twitter.com/RosesGabor

:laugh3::laugh3:

Thanks for putting up the link here!

Girls, I don't think y'all visit The Lounge often, but here's the shortlist results! :awesome:

And yes, The Damon Albarn thread is shortlisted!

Best New Thread (Started in 2010) - Non-Coldplay Sections

A GIF Thread! Exciting! (72295)

I can haz CAKEMICH ?! (67955)

I gots a virus on my laptop (73086)

Jade and Lily's thread : if you're bored come say "hello" (70583)

Listening Party (71709)

The Couch (72190)

The Damon Albarn Thread (69893)

The Late Night Webcast (70823)

The Womanly Thread (73157)

Your Music-List of all Coldplaying members w/ music (post links to your music) (67122)

:dance::dance::dance:

Thanks for voting :heart:

-----

Liz is shortlisted too. :P

For 3 awards in fact!

Biggest Guy fan

SarahSchmidt

lizzybear

ImLovingGuyBerryman

cruzada

berrymangirl1

AusKT

ana_berryman

AdrianaRM

Well done :D

I'm pretty surprised tbh. :P

Biggest Coldplaying Perv

texasluvsjonny

mrlick

mc_squared

lizzybear

knight of cydonia

kat_ivenson

Destrokk

braddock

bear

Well done you pervy people :)

:laugh3:

Friendliest User

AdrianaRM

Christa1

Crests of daylight

Jay Niguez

Lizzybear

Makayla

Nancyk58

SueDeNimes

Congratulations! (38 names were put forward for this award!)

:laugh3::laugh3: MY CAMPAIGN WORKED <3 :heart:

I hope you win! I will continue voting for ya in the next round. :wacky:

CONGRATS LIZ! :dance:

Girls, I don't think y'all visit The Lounge often, but here's the shortlist results! :awesome:

-----

For 3 awards in fact!

Great !

L O L

Yeah but I think all the threads that got dominated got shortlisted lol anyway congrats to Damon lulz.

Oh dear... why are people still voting for me for Biggest Guy Fan :facepalm: I haven't been in his thread in ages!

The Perv thing is kind of funny though... I'm honored for that one :wink3: lol

-----

For 3 awards in fact!

LIZ!!!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATS BB!!!!!!!!! And AWESOME JOB LY!!!!!!!! *HUGS* BOTH* You guys RAWK!!!!!!!! :heart: :cool:

Because of Halloween:

ZOMBIE DAMON:

IMG_0346.jpg

HEWLETT'S SUPER PUMPKIN:

IMG_0369-1.jpg

Some reports of the show mentioned that everybody (or most of them) was wearing costumes. For example, Hypnotic Brass Ensemble had masks on their faces.

OMG I'M DYING!!!!!!!!! :laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3: PERFECT!!!!!!

WAHHH :surprised: is that how Damon was dressed at the show? omg! that's kind of cool they all dressed up!

I SOOOOOO want vids of this show-and I wonder if the fans got facetime with them dressed like this????

Because of Halloween:

ZOMBIE DAMON:

IMG_0346.jpg

HEWLETT'S SUPER PUMPKIN:

IMG_0369-1.jpg

Some reports of the show mentioned that everybody (or most of them) was wearing costumes. For example, Hypnotic Brass Ensemble had masks on their faces.

WOO WOOOOO Looks like some fans met with Zombie Damon after the show too :awesome:

tumblr_lb6tkypTIt1qa4b1qo1_400.jpg

THE HOTTEST ZOMBIE IN LIKE EVA. :awesome:

Halloween spirit, I've yet to experience it. :wacko:

WAHHH SHANI YOUR AVATAR GURRRRRRL! :dead::dead::dead:

Ugh.. Shani you mind if I post this interview you posted on tumblr in here too?

So many exiting things in here :bomb:

"The chance to speak with Damon Albarn seemed to bring with it some anxiety - more than the usual when preparing for an interview. It's because I've read and seen interviews where Albarn has been painted as something of a prick; many times he's even been the one holding the brush, in control of the colouring.

Damon AlbarnAdd to that the scheduled time moving from 11.30am Saturday to 2.30pm to 3pm - but when I am finally connected it's worth the wait and I find him to be affable, down-to-earth, focused, intelligent, engaged, engaging and not (in the slightest) a prick.

"It's 6.48pm," - he informs me precisely - at his end. Friday night. He's in San Francisco. The Gorillaz tour of America has two shows left but he has been there for five weeks and there have been some 30 shows.

"It's been incredible," he tells me, sounding happy. "Just incredible, I mean it's a huge task this tour, easily the biggest thing I've done since the heyday of Blur in the mid-90s or early-90s or whatever, but of course in many ways it's bigger, certainly in terms of the scope."

There cannot be a lot of margin for error; it must be a tough job wrangling everyone together?

"What, you mean in terms of sorting the catering?" And he chuckles slightly before explaining, "It has been tight for us, financially, this tour. But you have to make decisions, you have to be prepared to stick your neck out and take risks and you know this has been 10 years in the making so I think it's worth the risk, even if it is tight. So what? It's about sharing this experience with people and challenging yourself to move forward."

Gorillaz, Albarn's conscious attempt to bury himself in work and in the work following the success of Blur, is, he says "a gimmick with a lot of life in it", laughing off the idea that it is in any way, really, a gimmick. It can certainly be read as a comment on how, at his pop-star peak with Blur, he had been turned into a cartoon character, by the fans, by the press, by himself. And at first Gorillaz played on this entirely, appearing as a studio creation - sporadic, gradual live appearances saw video screens of the cartoon characters fronting for the "real" band; the musicians hiding (in more than one sense).

Now the musicians share the stage with their alter-egos created by Jamie Hewlitt (known for his Tank Girl strip, and an old friend of Albarn's). And with each Gorillaz album the cast grows. But, impressively, the audience grows too. So Gorillaz, a flexible unit that has been releasing albums across 10 years, is quite the anomaly in that the project embraced new technology to put across its message, but has also worked at building up the brand in the old-fashioned way of breaking the artist bit by bit, adding to its audience with each release.

Plastic Beach"Well, yeah that's right," Albarn agrees, "I mean this new album, Plastic Beach, hasn't sold as many copies as Demon Days, that's still the biggest album we've done, but I guess in a relative sense it's true, because in terms of today's record sales figures compared with when we released Demon Days five years ago we are doing okay, so yeah, it's good. It's good."

There's a beat. And then, "You know, it's the way it should be, though. Really. I mean that's how it has to be done, build the act up, make the work count. Release things when you think they are right."

Albarn has regularly gone on record to voice his disdain for the X-Factor and Pop Idol-styled shows. So it seems appropriate to follow up what he's saying about brand-building, time-taking and musical-care with a sound bite:

"Well, it's just an empty vessel really, innit? I mean I just find that there's nothing there at all. It's pointless. And I think the really sad thing is that it's actually just wrong to build up these hopes and to build this hype because where it is really wrong is that there'll be a generation that will be left standing there with nothing. They will actually have nothing. None of this music is going to last. None of these acts will mean anything at all. And there will be a generation just left standing there holding this...this...empty vessel." No chuckle this time. All business.

Alter EgoBut of course Albarn hasn't just taken his time to build Gorillaz up across the last decade. There was a final (for now?) Blur album in 2003's Think Tank (an arguably underrated release in the band's catalogue because guitarist Graham Coxon was already off making solo albums, taking some of the band's fans with him) and, before that, Albarn collaborated with Michael Nyman to create the score for Ravenous (click here for a sample of that). There was the album Mali Music and the album The Good, The Bad & The Queen named after the "supergroup" Albarn assembled with legendary drummer Tony Allen, Paul Simonon of The Clash, Verve/Gorillaz guitarist Simon Tong and hip-hop wunderkind Danger Mouse.

So how does Albarn achieve more than just the overnight success he mocks the idol competitions for? How is he seen as not flooding the market? Fans seem respectful of his varied projects, mostly interested at least.

"Well it's all about the palette you use. I mean, I'm still the same songwriter, I have the same ideas. In that sense it's all the same but the entry point is very different, the palette is different. With Gorillaz, I mean, really, it has no form," break for a brief laugh, "hopefully it will feel like a benchmark really, this group. I mean that - it has been a rewarding experience. Also you have to remember that the reason I have been able to do all these things is because I work hard at them and I have not been touring. I gave up touring and focused on the work of writing. I have a young family so touring was not desirable, not ideal. And so I started working five days a week with a studio I've built, treating it like a 9-5 job. I've been bringing up a family and I've been enormously productive because of not touring and having a home studio - it's really that simple. I'm interested in a lot of different music and I have worked hard to put it across."

There will be, he says, another album by The Good, The Bad & The Queen ("well, I would hope so, definitely") but something that Albarn thinks will probably please fans of that sound is a record by a new band that he is "three-quarters of the way through; I need to get this finished, but there's also another Gorillaz record I'm finishing up too. I've actually taken a mobile studio with me on this tour, because it's the longest I've been out on the road since, as I say, the days of Blur at its peak, so I have that luxury now of recording as I go."

The album that is three-quarters finished is "another band with Tony Allen; centred around what he does. But this time it's him and me and Flea from The Chili Peppers and some of my favourite African musicians will be involved also. Flea of course is an anagram for Fela and Flea is so into this music - so that's been great."

The hookup with Flea came about because Flea journeyed to Nigeria as part of Albarn's Africa Express project. I tell him I'm surprised that he has not worked with Ginger Baker, given the shared love of Nigeria, of the music of Fela Kuti, given Albarn's propensity for collaboration.

"Ginger? Oh yeah, well we were going to do something. We did talk about that, I would have loved that. But he's very crippled with arthritis in the hands now, so that's a real shame. He's not playing as a result. But yeah, I love what he does and that would have been great: him and Tony Allen playing..." the thought trails off.

But before the new Tony Allen/Flea/Albarn band/album, Damon wants to release another Gorillaz album.

"It's basically a tour-diary as a record, I guess it's my love-letter to America. I used to be very baffled by this place, and I guess I still am in some ways; America confused me enormously. But right now with all that's going on this is a good place to be and this has been a great tour, the shows have been very special. The audiences are the closest to mid-90s Blur audiences; I mean it's really been wonderful. And we're getting to play to good-sized crowds. And they know this music; they're really into it. They know it well. So that's great. I mean that's what it's about, right?"

Albarn repeatedly mentions Blur so I ask about the reunion shows and the future of the group. I suggest that the recent documentary felt cathartic for the audience, so that was surely the case for the band too?

"Oh absolutely. I was pleased. The whole thing was a lot of hard work and self-discipline - and all that work culminated in a performance at Glastonbury that was an emotional peak for me. Something that, as a performer, I don't think I'll better - not that particular feeling anyway, I don't think I'll get more from any performance or experience than that."

So a world tour then? A new album?

"There won't be another world tour for me - for anything - for five to six years; it would seem unlikely. I have a young daughter and it's just not feasible, it's too long away from home. This has been great, but it's too much after a while and so, no, there won't be any tours for me for a while, I should think."

But the Gorillaz tour remains a huge excitement, especially given the scope and size of the shows ("there's 70 musicians on stage" Albarn explains proudly) with a cast of friends and musical heroes. The show, coming to Auckland on December 21, features De La Soul, Simonon and Mick Jones of The Clash, Mos Def, Little Dragon, National Orchestra for Arabic Music, Gruff Rhys, Shaun Ryder and Bobby Womack.

"The funny thing about working with your heroes, as so many of these people are - it's strange really, the more you get to know them as people, the more you think of them as just people - which they are. And you realise that you're all helping each other. They're getting a lot out of this and there's a lot of mutual respect. For me seeing Bobby in action again has been great; here was a guy who was just done, really. He was spent. He was finished with music, he wasn't doing anything and he felt used up, I guess. And he's had a whole new start with this album and this tour and that's been amazing to feel part of - he's really starting to come out of himself on this tour and that's great."

There'll be a rest from touring and though Albarn won't confirm or deny new Blur material, there will definitely be new material from him: beyond the projects he's already mentioned, he says there is interest for him to return to film scores, though "the thing there is you really need to be working with a director who likes what you do; who is open to giving you a certain freedom to work with your ideas and explore them. But I love film music, I love listening to it and I love doing it. So that's something I'd consider again."

There's also the small issue of a Damon Albarn solo album. There has been a collection of demos, some lo-fi recordings, a solo track for the Trainspotting soundtrack, but would Albarn ever consider a proper studio solo album?

"I've promised myself that one day there'll be a proper ballad record, I don't know - 'Damon Albarn Sings Ballads' or something," he breaks off for a chuckle.

You could call it 'Damon Albarn Sings Damon Albarn'?

There's a hoot of laughter now, almost out of control, and then, "Yeah, Damon Albarn Sings Damon Albarn, I like that, I'll write that down."

We conclude with Albarn telling me to pass on to New Zealand readers that he's "really excited to be making it back down there. It's been a long time. I know we were there when Blur was probably at its peak, or in around that time anyway, I don't remember when exactly; it was a long time ago, but I do remember liking the country and I am looking forward to coming back. It's great to be able to bring this show there."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/blogs/blog-on-the-tracks/4291906/The-Damon-Albarn-Interview

That's a great interview. So this is the first interview in which he talks about the financial situation. Well at least he hints another album, so let's hope that happens.

So, you want more pictures? (of course, i shouldn't be asking this xD):

You're all going to die:

gorillaz1.jpg

Do you hear me????!!:

gorillaz2q.jpg

The lovely reunion of a zombie and a... and a... i don't know, what's Yukimi suppose to be here xD?:

gorillaz3p.jpg

tumblr_lb6tkypTIt1qa4b1qo1_400.jpg

Is it just me or does anyone else see this? When I looked at this picture for the first time I was reminded of younger blur damon :lol: its the face he is making I suppose!

He is a pretty hot looking zombie :D

The lovely reunion of a zombie and a... and a... i don't know, what's Yukimi suppose to be here xD?:

gorillaz3p.jpg

Thats so cool :wideeyed: Yukimi has some serious unique style, she seems sure of herself, as an individual, she knows what suits her :nice: