✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay were set for Glastonbury 2011... now Coldplay set for Glastonbury... 2010?

busybeeburns

BONO busting his back is bad news for him - but not necessarily for the crowds at Glastonbury. DIZZEE RASCAL has been asked to step up to the plate if the U2 frontman is not well enough to honour his band's Friday night headlining slot on June 25.

Organiser MICHAEL EAVIS has also put in a call to COLDPLAY frontman CHRIS MARTIN to see if the lads are available. They are back in the studio after their Viva La Vida world tour but are weighing up the logistics of playing Glasto.

I can't help feeling it could be a blessing in disguise if grime star Dizzee, who currently comes before U2 on the Friday night bill, gets to close the evening. The rapper - who ripped off his top at Radio 1's Big Weekend festival in Wales at the weekend to show how toned he is from kickboxing - is a big enough man for the job.

He has the tunes and charisma to light up Glasto on its 40th anniversary. Hits including Fix Up Look Sharp, Dirtee Disco and Bonkers would bring the Friday night to an epic end. Bono had emergency spinal surgery in Munich on Friday after injuring his back in rehearsals for their 360° world tour.

He is now recovering in Germany under the care of Bayern Munich FC's club medic Dr Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wohlfahrt, who has treated the likes of JURGEN KLINSMANN, RONALDO, STEVEN GERRARD and MICHAEL OWEN as well as marathon star PAULA RADCLIFFE.

U2 have had to postpone the start of the latest US leg of their tour, which was to take place in Salt Lake City, Utah, on June 3. And they are expected to announce later this week that they will bow out of Glastonbury. That would leave their fans very disappointed. The band's anthemic rock is tailor-made for the large crowds drawn to Glasto's main Pyramid Stage. But I'd love to see Dizzee given the chance to shine at the Somerset festival.

Last year he played an incredible Saturday afternoon set to a full field. It included a tribute to MICHAEL JACKSON, who had just died. This year, Dizzee has become even bigger, with major shows in March at the Manchester MEN Arena and London's O2, for which he teamed up with LILY ALLEN.

Meanwhile, I have discovered exactly how Bono hurt his back. He was standing too close toTHE EDGE.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/2984225/Dizzee-eyes-U2s-Glasto-spot.html#ixzz0ooqvTsl5

I don't want them to play Glasto this year! I don't have a ticket :(

My thoughts exactly

Ill be a sobbing fool if i missed an op to go to England and see them and god knows who else ... because i was an hour too late for buying tickets

no i hope they save it for next year when i will have a ticket and am ready to go and they'll have new songs and.... yeah

Oh my god, if this is true, it will make my life. :stunned:

Coldplay and Muse are my two favourite bands!

I don't wish Bono any harm, and I hope he recovers well, but that said, I've never been a big fan of U2, and to see Coldplay instead would make it the perfect festival for me.

Stevie on the sunday too!

I suppose that might be nifty, but it would be at an awkward point... there may be too many people twiddling their thumbs and yawning at the Viva stuff. Plus they got rid of some of their gear already (like the Viva guitar and specially-tuned '42' guitar, helloooooooooo). Maybe they can try out some of their new material? But they can't try out too much of it because then the release of LP5 wouldn't be as exciting... I dunno.

Guest Osaka Sun

I really doubt that Coldplay will be taking U2's place at Glastonbury.

U2 have only postponed one show (their opener in Salt Lake City) from the next leg of their 360 Tour. More shows will probably go soon, but it all depends of Bono's condition. He's a stubborn guy (:P), so I must think that he's clinging on to his wishes of performing next month as much as possible. Otherwise we'd have a lot more concertgoers pissed by now. And remember that the band has never performed at Glastonbury before.

I wouldn't mind Coldplay helping out, but again, they've headlined the festival like what, 4 times already? And the stuff you guys mentioned before - the boys would have to break out possibly unfinished new material, and many of their live instruments are now in the hands of us Coldplay fans, so...:D

Hey, if it happens, maybe the fans who now own the Viva stuff could rent it back to them for a price...uummm...let's say, what you paid for it. :laugh3:

I really don't want this to happen. Tickets are already gone. I'd love to see them headline next year. I think they need a break and the world needs a break (not us UBERFANS, mind you, but the rest of the music world). I don't want them to tip-toe back onto the scene before they are ready. I want a big splash!

Just my $.02 <shrug>

I suppose that might be nifty, but it would be at an awkward point... there may be too many people twiddling their thumbs and yawning at the Viva stuff. Plus they got rid of some of their gear already (like the Viva guitar and specially-tuned '42' guitar, helloooooooooo). Maybe they can try out some of their new material? But they can't try out too much of it because then the release of LP5 wouldn't be as exciting... I dunno.

Well Viva is over, I would assume this being last minute, they will just dress normal :laugh3: (black cargos and flaming lips t) and do some of their hit songs, it would be nice to hear some new material, but I doubt they will prevail any of the album coming out.:\ Wish I could be there if they do play.

Well Viva is over, I would assume this being last minute, they will just dress normal :laugh3: (black cargos and flaming lips t) and do some of their hit songs, it would be nice to hear some new material, but I doubt they will prevail any of the album coming out.:\ Wish I could be there if they do play.
Well, if they do play... one idea would be to make it an all B-sides performance. That would be great.

Guest Osaka Sun

Oh my god. Imagine:

Moses

Crests of Waves

One I Love

I Ran Away

Things I Don't Understand

The World Turned Upside Down

Sleeping Sun

The Goldrush (Acoustic)

...and revive Ode to Deodorant.

I could only wish. :rolleyes: