✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

18% of Americans think Obama is muslim

The Final Track

The US will probably have a gay president before an atheist one.

Hopefully Obama will be our last president. Presidents usually don't work out well for America.

As to whether Obama is Muslim - his father was Muslim, so it's not too far-fetched to believe that he is. In fact, here's a quote from the New York Times:

As the son of the Muslim father, Senator Obama was born a Muslim under Muslim law as it is universally understood. It makes no difference that, as Senator Obama has written, his father said he renounced his religion. Likewise, under Muslim law based on the Koran his mother’s Christian background is irrelevant.

Here's the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/12/opinion/12luttwak.html?_r=3&pagewanted=print

So before you go "dur hurr hurr, stupid Americans", read up on the subject.

kinda ot

But I wonder if America will ever have a president that is agnostic/atheist

I don't know. :thinking: Probably some point in time, but not soon.

Hopefully Obama will be our last president. Presidents usually don't work out well for America.

As to whether Obama is Muslim - his father was Muslim, so it's not too far-fetched to believe that he is.

What do you think our government should switch to, if we get rid of presidents? :thinking:

Some Americans are really stupid though. Not too many, but some. Have you ever seen Jay Leno's Jaywalking segments? I love those. :wacky:

Here's the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/12/opinion/12luttwak.html?_r=3&pagewanted=print

Should probably reply because I agree with you for once, great point.

I don't think 18% is a lot, I didn't have a clue and I follow politics and Obama quite a bit (Because I hate him). It doesn't matter, it shouldn't matter, and why should anyone care?

On top of that, if his dad was Muslim, most of the 18% of people were probably well-read enough to know that and that's why they gave that answer. The rest would assume he's a Christian, probably not having a clue (I would've said Christian if forced and I had no idea).

That turns the article on it's head.

What do you think our government should switch to, if we get rid of presidents?

I don't think we need a federal government.

It's a simple cost-benefit analysis: the federal government costs us trillions of dollars, forces us into wars of aggression, takes away our rights, etc. Any perceived benefits it has brought us are long gone. It's simply too expensive, powerful, and large.

On top of that, if his dad was Muslim, most of the 18% of people were probably well-read enough to know that and that's why they gave that answer. The rest would assume he's a Christian, probably not having a clue (I would've said Christian if forced and I had no idea).

That turns the article on it's head.

Are you saying he's a muslim cause his dad was? :inquisitive:

Get this: More than 18% of Americans are dumb.

sadly true... :dozey:

As to whether Obama is Muslim - his father was Muslim, so it's not too far-fetched to believe that he is. In fact, here's a quote from the New York Times:

And so what if he was muslim? It doesn't matter..

Are you saying he's a muslim cause his dad was? :inquisitive:

Yes that's what I'm saying, that's exactly what I said, you got it 100% correct and correctly perceived what I had written brilliantly, thank you sir, you fucking genius, shut the hell up.

Well technically it's true that some people might perceive him as such because you're really not supposed to convert from Islam to another religion as he did. If you're father is a Muslim, you're a Muslim. End of story. But. This is a big but. I feel like those people would be those well versed in the Islamic religion, that is to say, Muslims. Only 0.6% of Americans are Muslim (and I doubt all feel that way, in the same way that not all Christians think that homosexuality is evil). This doesn't account for around 17.4% of the people who are thinking he is Muslim, and that's only assuming that every single Muslim believes he technically is one.

I guess it sort of makes sense that some people are confused, as fearmongers like to spread that idea around, but I'm surprised that almost 1/5 of us buy into it. You would think it'd be less. Maybe I'm optimistic, but I'm surprised that all these people who are clearly confused about our president's religion don't just do some research as John Green did. It just seems like the sensible thing to do and I like to think that most human beings have common sense (That's why it's called common sense--it's supposed to be common.)

Just seemed like an un-Reilly like thing to say.

LOL

My last post was sarcastic, did you not get a bit suspicious by how I was thanking you so much and then telling you to fuck off and shut up?

No I wasn't saying he's Muslim because his dad was, but it's part of a Muslim's beliefs to raise their children Muslim and abandon them if they refuse to be. So the 18% of people who thought he's Muslim may actually be intelligent, know that his dad was Muslim, know what that entails, have no idea what his religion is (Because it never gets mentioned) so therefore assume that he is Muslim. It really turns the article on the head, instead of thinking that 18% of Americans are stupid, there's a good chance it's the other way around.