✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The idyllic childhood home of Coldplay's Chris Martin is on the market

Mimixxx

This is a piece of news that was missed during downtime :)

house-1.jpg?t=1283199509

THE idyllic childhood home of Coldplay's Chris Martin is on the market for £1.35 million.

The 33-year-old singer and champion of the Fairtrade movement was one of five children raised in Whitestone House, near Exeter.

But now the kids have all flown the nest, retired parents — accountant and magistrate Anthony and music teacher Alison — have decided to downsize.

The historic Grade II-listed Georgian six-bedroom property is in the tiny hamlet of Whitestone, perched 500ft above sea level overlooking the Exeter Estuary.

The family moved there in 1978, when the multi-million-selling artist was just a baby.

He spent his formative years playing in the eight acres of sweeping lawns and clambering up and down its trees.

The grounds include a tennis court, field and water trough suitable for horses or ponies.

Robin Thomas, of estate agents Strutt and Parker, said there had been quite a bit of interest but no firm offers.

He said the house was "just a lovely family home" which had never been a focus for fans.

"The children have left home and now the parents want to sell up and move," he said.

Chris formed his first band, The Rocking Honkies, at the preparatory Exeter Cathedral School, before boarding at Sherborne School, a boys' independent school in Dorset.

He shot to fame with Coldplay with the single Yellow in 2000, and released the award-winning A Rush of Blood to the Head two years later.

Martin married actress Gwyneth Paltrow in 2003 and the couple have two children, Apple and Moses.

His campaigning zeal and clean-living lifestyle has always marked him out from the stereotypical rock 'n' roll singer.

He has always rejected the idea that refusing to "dress up in leather and trash hotel rooms" makes him less of an artist, claiming: "It is about independence of mind and spirit".

Strutt and Parker describe the property as having an oval entrance hall, reception hall, drawing room, dining room, sitting room and study.

It has three bathrooms, a versatile range of attic rooms and there is an attached two-bedroom cottage.

http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk/news/Rock-star-s-early-home-sale/article-2579015-detail/article.html

I thought he said he was poor. :thinking:

That sure doesn't look like a poor house to me!

I think they were all poor students, during university, he and Jonny were hotel cleaners.

But he was privately educated, distinctly middle class, which is a negative thing to most of his/thieir detractors. :rolleyes:

I think they were all poor students, during university, he and Jonny were hotel cleaners.

But he was privately educated, distinctly middle class, which is a negative thing to most of his/thieir distractors. :rolleyes:

Great parents, I think and great son of course;)

sorry... do you mean detractors?

:stunned:

I didn't think he grew up in a place like THAT. I pictured him in a pretty average home. Tennis courts and ponies?

Even though I live in England for most of the year, I often forget that "middle class" means something different than it does in the US. This proves it.

middle class there = very rich people here :blank:

middle class there = very rich people here :blank:
Fairly rich here too.

So does it have more to do with where the money comes from than how much you have? Old money is upperclass, while new money is middle class because you worked for it? Or is it more complicated than that?