✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplaying doesn't really have many sports fans

MrMagpie

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a sports fan.

Have very little to say about it on Coldplaying since I have a sports forum which I'm a member of.

If there is one thing for sure then tennis is not a sport.

What forum? I've been looking for a good sports forum :cool:

Go Lions!

:laugh3: I'll root for them too, just because they have never been good. It's nice to see real fans of a team; your truly a fan.

Can someone explain to me how boxing is a "sport"?

If you did that anywhere else in public you'd get arrested for assault, etc.

I'm surprised you didn't bring up UFC.

I'm surprised you didn't bring up UFC.
True. I suppose my question would apply toward any "sport" that is strictly about hand-on-hand combat.

On that note, I don't see how fighting has evolved into an integral part of the NHL. The refs just stand there and let them do it until they subjectively decide, "okay, that's enough". :thinking:

it's a physically demanding activity, it has rules, there is a winner. Your second sentence has nothing to do with the first.
Hmmm. With that logic, I can make up a "sport" that involves running around a block and spray-painting the face eyes & hair of the first person I come across. That's physically demanding (running); the rule is that I can't use black spray paint; and the first one in the competition that accomplishes the task (must have spray painted all 3, face eyes & hair) is the winner.

No, methinks the police would snag the participants of that "sport" pretty quick.

Hmmm. With that logic, I can make up a "sport" that involves running around a block and spray-painting the face eyes & hair of the first person I come across. That's physically demanding (running); the rule is that I can't use black spray paint; and the first one in the competition that accomplishes the task (must have spray painted all 3, face eyes & hair) is the winner.

No, methinks the police would snag the participants of that "sport" pretty quick.

get it sanctioned by the government or whoever has the authority to sanction it and you're free to have your sport. thats how sports like cage fighting are allowed. same deal with rugby. they also have their own tribunals to punish people who break the rules.

Well you don't just do boxing out in the middle of the street.....

Whether you regard it as a sport or not, I don't think it sends out a very good message or sets a good example.:dozey:

Whilst I don't find boxing all that appealing I can't deny that it teaches those involved a great amount of discipline.

I recommend you watch 24/7 by Shane Meadows. It's a very good film with Bob Hoskins and highlights this point. I accept your point as well though since it's all to easy for idiots who simply spectate and don't take an active role in the sport to thrive off it in a bad way, though I feel that they would still be the same with or without the presence of boxing.

Whilst I don't find boxing all that appealing I can't deny that it teaches those involved a great amount of discipline.

Didn't do Mike Tyson much good though, did it? He was still beating people up outside the ring.:dozey:

I recommend you watch 24/7 by Shane Meadows. It's a very good film with Bob Hoskins and highlights this point. I accept your point as well though since it's all to easy for idiots who simply spectate and don't take an active role in the sport to thrive off it in a bad way, though I feel that they would still be the same with or without the presence of boxing.

Well I don't see how any rational person can get pleasure from seeing someone get their face smashed in, that's all.:dozey:

All that "pantomime" before the fights is pathetic too.:dozey:

Didn't do Mike Tyson much good though, did it? He was still beating people up outside the ring.:dozey:

Well I don't see how any rational person can get pleasure from seeing someone get their face smashed in, that's all.:dozey:

All that "pantomime" before the fights is pathetic too.:dozey:

No, it didn't, but there are always exceptions to the rule. For such a violent profession it is quite interesting that they rarely make the papers for fighting given the vast number of them crossing over so many weights.

And yes, I don't understand it either and would never indulge or even really watch myself. The pantomime is in most sports nowadays, it has very little to do with the actual sport itself. They have it in darts too :lol:

mc_squared, I'm sorry but you're an idiot. Although I'm not a massive fan of boxing I can appreciate the technical beauty to it, it's not about beating up another person, if you've ever watched Floyd Mayweather fight you'd see he's an absolute genius and his boxing is far more about technique than "smashing in someone's face" as you put it.

As for Mike Tyson doing stuff outside the ring, that happens in every single sport, can you honestly think of a sport that hasn't had some sort of thug or scandal with a player outside of it? Don't be silly.