✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

'Three biggest bands' set for Glastonbury 2011

Guest howyousawtheworld

people don't go to glastonbury because they want to see their favourite band play. they go cos its glastonbury!

Haha, yeah, I guess that's what I meant. It's just not my reason for wanting to go to a festival, I guess, so for selfish reasons I'll be miffed if the lineup does involve U2/Coldplay/Rolling Stones/Radiohead/similar. I'd be willing to do the experience for the music, not really the other way around, but that's just me :shrug:. Whiiiiich is why I've sold my soul to go to Coachella this year :P.

Still, though, I'm in England at the time and everything, so if the lineup/headliners are going to be amazing, I'm going to be a bit sad.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, now I don't know...

Rep: 'Stones have no firm plans to tour'

wenn1807217_5_858_5_20110204004721_320_240.JPG

(KD&MJ/WNWCNM/LR)

A representative for the ROLLING STONES insists the band has "no firm plans to tour" in the near future, after a legal battle erupted over a potential 50th anniversary trek later this year (11).

Concert producer Michael Cohl, who has worked on many of the band's tours, was sued by bosses at promoters Live Nation in November (10) over allegations he breached his contract at the time he left his job at the company in 2008.

He then launched a counter-suit, claiming the firm's bosses have been attempting to "interfere" and "destroy" his bid to secure the promotional rights for a tour by the legendary band later this year (11).

The lawsuit has led to speculation the Stones will kick off a string of concerts in late 2011 in time to mark the band's 50th anniversary the following year (12).

But the group's publicist has now released a statement insisting no dates have been booked, saying, "The Stones confirmed today they have no firm plans to tour at this time."

Meanwhile, the rep has also distanced bandmembers, including frontman Sir Mick Jagger, from the legal spat, adding, "Following the end of the 2007 A Bigger Bang world tour The Rolling Stones became free from any contractual arrangements or agreements with Michael Cohl. He is neither their representative nor their tour promoter."

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/entertainment/celebrity/Rep-Stones-have-no-firm-plans-to-tour_62198146

Guest howyousawtheworld
Hmmm, now I don't know...

Rep: 'Stones have no firm plans to tour'

wenn1807217_5_858_5_20110204004721_320_240.JPG

(KD&MJ/WNWCNM/LR)

A representative for the ROLLING STONES insists the band has "no firm plans to tour" in the near future, after a legal battle erupted over a potential 50th anniversary trek later this year (11).

Concert producer Michael Cohl, who has worked on many of the band's tours, was sued by bosses at promoters Live Nation in November (10) over allegations he breached his contract at the time he left his job at the company in 2008.

He then launched a counter-suit, claiming the firm's bosses have been attempting to "interfere" and "destroy" his bid to secure the promotional rights for a tour by the legendary band later this year (11).

The lawsuit has led to speculation the Stones will kick off a string of concerts in late 2011 in time to mark the band's 50th anniversary the following year (12).

But the group's publicist has now released a statement insisting no dates have been booked, saying, "The Stones confirmed today they have no firm plans to tour at this time."

Meanwhile, the rep has also distanced bandmembers, including frontman Sir Mick Jagger, from the legal spat, adding, "Following the end of the 2007 A Bigger Bang world tour The Rolling Stones became free from any contractual arrangements or agreements with Michael Cohl. He is neither their representative nor their tour promoter."

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/entertainment/celebrity/Rep-Stones-have-no-firm-plans-to-tour_62198146

Just because they don't have a tour planned doesn't mean they won't be doing Glastonbury. A tour's a tour. A one off performance is a one off performance. That said Rolling Stones will probably use Glastonbury as a precursor to future dates which will happen later this year or early next year which will coincide with their 50th anniversary. I still firmly believe it will be them. Fingers crossed.

Posted earlier in the Coldplay forum

Coldplay Officially playing @ Glastonbury[/size][/b]

It's their first pilgrimage to Worthy Farm since 2005 - when they went down a storm.

Glasto guru MICHAEL EAVIS and his event organisers have been chasing CHRIS MARTIN and the lads to make a return - as Bizarre revealed in October.

And this week the rockers finally put pen to paper on the deal.

One massive outfit who will not be performing in Pilton are the ROLLING STONES.

Bash bosses had tabled a huge offer for MICK JAGGER's gang to make their festival debut at Glasto, which kicks off on June 22.

But after mulling over the deal for the past three months, the veterans have turned down the chance.

A source said: "Getting the Stones to Glastonbury has been high on Michael Eavis's list of priorities for a long time. He came really really close this time round.

"He came up with an incredibly tempting offer and Mick and the rest of the band were considering it closely but they ultimately decided to turn it down."

Still, Coldplay aren't too much of a shonky replacement. Their back catalogue is filled with anthems perfect for the Pyramid Stage.

And they're bound to get a massive welcome. UK crowds don't get much bigger than the 200,000 or so who squeeze into the Somerset site for the huge bash.

Source: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/music/3393206/Coldplay-land-Glasto-Saturday-slot.html

glastonbury-pyramid-stage.jpg

Guest howyousawtheworld
The Sun seem to be the only ones carrying this story. how dependable are they?

Don't read that shit rag is all I'd say.

Don't believe anything until it gets posted on the official site. The Sun always make wild guesses "oh look Chris Martin was spotted with the Eavis' farm, they must be playing"

And when did 170,000 people (which includes the 30,000 odd staff whom work various jobs) turn into 200,000?

Guest howyousawtheworld

Disappointed at the rumours of Beyonce. Talented singer but....not the heavyweight three bands I thought we were getting after a year of speculation. But if the Rolling Stone said no and Radiohead can't do it (yes I would happily see them do Glasto this year) it's a disappointment.

Disappointed at the rumours of Beyonce. Talented singer but....not the heavyweight three bands I thought we were getting after a year of speculation. But if the Rolling Stone said no and Radiohead can't do it (yes I would happily see them do Glasto this year) it's a disappointment.

Glastonbury is a hell lot more than the headliners, you have 20+ stages all playing various forms off music, some bands doing secret sets in smaller tents. It's 5 days of organised chaos, whom cares for 6 hours of "headline" acts?

Glastonbury is a hell lot more than the headliners, you have 20+ stages all playing various forms off music, some bands doing secret sets in smaller tents. It's 5 days of organised chaos, whom cares for 6 hours of "headline" acts?

thats true and that was much of the sentiment when jay-z headlined but the headline acts are the ones by which each years festival is remembered.

showbiz_main_beyonce_knowles_generic.jpg

Beyoncé confirms Glastonbury slot

Beyoncé has confirmed that she will headline this year's Glastonbury Festival.

The singer was recently rumoured to be topping the bill alongside U2 and Coldplay at the event at Pilton Farm, Somerset.

Billboard confirms that Beyoncé will perform a 90-minute headline set on June 26, the final day of the festival.

"This really is the biggest festival in the world and I cannot wait to perform there," Beyoncé said in a statement.

"Everyone who attends is really appreciative of music and is in such a good mood that entire weekend. I'm pumped just thinking about that huge audience and soaking up their energy."

The Libertines have been rumoured to play another reunion gig on the Other Stage during the summer festival.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a303224/beyonce-confirms-glastonbury-slot.html