'Three biggest bands' set for Glastonbury 2011

Guest howyousawtheworld

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

'Biggest bands' vow as Glasto sales begin

TICKETS for next year's Glastonbury Festival go on sale tomorrow, with speculation already rife over who will headline the event.

Festival founder Michael Eavis says he has booked "three biggest bands in the world" for next year's event but their identities will not be revealed until after the event has sold out. Rumours have been circulating that U2, who had to cancel a planned appearance this year after lead singer Bono was injured on tour, will be one of the Pyramid stage headliners.

Other acts which have been linked include Coldplay, Madonna, Lady Gaga, Take That and the Rolling Stones – but Eavis would say only that they were "incredibly impressive".

He added: "I deliberately want to announce them after the tickets have been sold. It'll be on a par with this year, and possibly slightly better, even."

Mr Eavis said he had deferred his retirement and vowed to continue organising the world's biggest open-air festival for another ten years – by which time he will be 85. The Pilton farmer, who is preparing to mark his 75th birthday, has previously said the festival of 2011 would be his last.

But yesterday he insisted he was "feeling cock-a-hoop" and will now not retire next year – indicating he could still be at the helm for the 50th festival in 2020. Mr Eavis runs the show from Worthy Farm with his daughter Emily, 31. He said: "Maybe I've got another 10 years left in me. Emily will be in a good place to take the show on eventually."

Stevie Wonder, Muse and Gorillaz headlined its 40th anniversary this year. Mr Eavis indicated that one of this year's headliners was to be an American artist – sparking rumours it could be legendary singer Madonna.

Tickets for next year's festival, to take place at Worthy Farm from June 24 to June 26, go on sale from 9am tomorrow. Registration for tickets closed yesterday.

Once all those who have registered have had a chance to book tickets for next year's festival, registration will reopen on Monday. Those who have already registered on the site http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk will have a chance to book by paying a £50 deposit, with the remaining £150, including a £5 booking fee, payable next spring.

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/news/Biggest-bands-vow-Glasto-sales-begin/article-2713766-detail/article.html

• 3 weeks later...

Report: Prince, U2, Coldplay for Glasto 2011

GLASTONBURY 2011 is lining up to be a real royal affair. PRINCE and rock kings U2 have signed up to top the bill. COLDPLAY are likely to fill the third headline slot too, with the final details being thrashed out. The festival isn't for another eight months but founder MICHAEL EAVIS has clearly been grafting hard masterminding the best music event in years.

Michael getting that line-up arranged has got me looking forward to next summer already.

Seven-time Grammy winner Prince is one of the best performers of all time but rarely graces these shores. His back catalogue is immense and hits such as Purple Rain, Diamonds And Pearls and 1999 will send the Pyramid Stage crowd barmy.

U2 are currently working with DANGERMOUSE on a new album - their 13th - Songs Of Ascent, and are likely to use the Glasto slot to show off their new tunes.

And CHRIS MARTIN's band went down a storm when they played the festival in 2005.

A source said: "Michael was very keen to get the line-up sorted early and is over the moon at securing such massive acts. He is a huge fan of Prince and has been trying to nab him for years.

"The fact it's been tied up so quickly is a big but welcome shock."

The source added: "Coldplay are currently in negotiations about taking a headline slot. "Michael has previously said Coldplay's set in 2005 was his personal favourite and is very pleased to be welcoming them back. "

"U2 were a fairly obvious capture. Michael immediately had his sights set on them after they were forced to cancel this year and they were very happy to oblige."

If I were Eavis I'd be wrapping BONO up in cotton wool. Emergency surgery on the frontman's back forced the Irish group to pull out of their Friday night headline slot this year.

GORILLAZ did a decent job of replacing them, but many felt something was lacking. A Glastonbury spokesman declined to comment on next year's acts, saying: "We never comment on rumours until the official line-up is announced."

Many farm folk feel this will be Michael's final hurrah before the festival takes a year off and he hands the reins to his daughter EMILY in 2013.

If that's the case, he'll definitely be going out on a high...

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/

• 2 months later...

25674.jpg

The Rolling Stones for Glastonbury Festival 2011?

Rumours that The Rolling Stones are set to headline Glastonbury Festival 2011 have been fuelled after the group's infamous Tongue and Lip Design image appeared on a Somerset website.

Fans noticed that the illustration that been posted on community site Pilton.com and took to Twitter to post the news, which obviously ignited the gossip.

“Rolling stones at glasto?” tweeted Barratt1197‎, “seems to b hotting up!surely it can't happen?!can it..Facebook msgs today?pilton.com logo?3rd headliner buked 2day?”

Running with the rumour, Ben_Wood88‎ tweeted: “Listening to The Rolling Stones and praying that it's them who will be one of the big 3 headliners at Glastonbury this year”.

Late last year, Rolling Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood said that he’d love to play Glastonbury.

Glastonbury Festival 2011 will take place at Worthy Farm, Somerset from 22-26 June.

U2 and Coldplay are strongly rumoured to be headlining the Friday (24) and Sunday (26) nights respectively, but there have been question marks over who will bring the Pyramid Stage to a close on the Saturday (25).

Organiser Emily Eavis took to Twitter herself to confirm that the third headliner had now been booked but speaking to NME, she said that the rumours of Prince, Coldplay and U2 weren’t 100% accurate.

“I can't say how many you'd get right, not yet,” she told the magazine, “But no, unfortunately you're not right.”

Beyonce and Rihanna are also among the acts rumoured to be performing.

http://www.virtualfestivals.com/latest/news/9355/-/-The-Rolling-Stones-for-Glastonbury-Festival-2011/

No matter what, I have a feeling the lineup is going to leave me in tears over the fact I didn't get tickets :bomb:

Seriously, Coldplay/U2/Radiohead/The Rolling Stones...I won't be able to handle just sitting alone in my room only three hours away if the rumors end up being true.

I hate the fact they don't announce the lineup before passes go onsale. That is such a risk to me, but I guess it's wildly popular regardless.

Guest howyousawtheworld

U2, Rolling Stones, Coldplay??

That my friends is perfection. Expect an official announcement on the headliners next month.

well i'm not saying that other festivals arent a great experience. i'm just saying that glastonbury is one of the few festivals any where in the world that isn't at all dependent on its line up. the time it has taken to sell out Coachella has fluctuated in recent years relative to the quality of its line up like in 2008 which barely sold out had Roger Waters, Prince and Jack Johnson.

Now I really want to go to Glasto!!! Coldplay, U2 and The Rolling Stones, that sounds perfect!
This. I've always wanted to see them (Rolling Stones). And they're only getting crustier, so this might be the last chance. :|

Expect an official announcement on the headliners next month.
That would be nice, but the official Glasto site said the lineup won't be announced until spring. :\