✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Albums of the Year 2010 - Voting Thread - Closed

Space Cadet

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I spend too much on CDs lol. I'm not rich, I just believe in valuing the work of good artists.

Well, I applaud you for that. :thumbsup:

RAGE. :veryangry2:

It was too. Crap, I didn't put in my 2009 list. This upsets me.

Awww, I'm sorry. :sad:

I myself am waiting on a specific album to come out in mid-November, so I'm reserving judgment for until I get that album.

What would people think of having Sufjan's 60 minute EP eligible? I would be in favour :P

I personally wouldn't consider that an EP... 60 minutes is way to long to be an EP... I guess it really must be going by the definition of Extended Play...haha.

I say we count it... even possibly other regular EP's too.

Hmm I don't really think EPs should count. And Sufjan's may be pretty long for an EP, but he just released an album too, just a month after releasing the EP. It's been five years since he last released an album, so he probably had a lot of extra material which explains why the EP he released is so unusually long. And really, it's not even that much, considering that the longest two songs combined equates to half the length of the entire EP, plus there are two songs that are just two different versions of the same song.

I like the idea of doing a top 10 EPs of the year list. :nice:

Anyway, here's my list of albums (not in order):

Arcade Fire – The Suburbs

Apparatjik – We Are Here

Beach House – Teen Dream

The Black Keys – Brothers

Broken Bells – Broken Bells

Caribou – Swim

CocoRosie – Grey Oceans

The Drums – The Drums

Efterklang – Magic Chairs

Fictionist – Lasting Echo

Gorillaz – Plastic Beach

Jonsi – Go

LCD Soundsystem – This Is Happening

Los Campesinos! – Romance Is Boring

Menomena – Mines

Midlake – The Courage of Others

The National – High Violet

Owen Pallett – Heartland

Stars – The Five Ghosts

Sufjan Stevens – The Age of Adz

Surfer Blood – Astrocoast

Tame Impala – Innerspeaker

Two Door Cinema Club – Tourist History

Vampire Weekend – Contra

Yeasayer – Odd Blood

I've posted the official rules. I hope they're clear. If anyone spots any inconsistencies or errors, would you please let me know.

On EPs: We did allow EPs one year, but in the end the consensus was that it was better to leave them alone. It's easiest to stick with that, especially since this is meant to celebrate full-length albums.

In my mind, an EP is meant to fall between a single and an album in both length and number of songs. So about 20 or 30 minutes long, and 4 to 7 songs (or 3 songs with no standout track). Sometimes an ambient album will be a single piece stretched over an hour or two. Sometimes a band will release a full-length album and call it an EP so they don't have to deal with the pressure of an official album. I think those special cases are technically albums. I'd say if an EP is more than 50 minutes long, or if it has at least 8 tracks and is at least 40 minutes long, that's not an EP in my mind.

So as far as special cases like Sufjan Stevens goes, I'll let you decide among yourselves on a case-by-case basis.

I'm slightly disappointed with the last rule, but i'll survive :P

here's my list (will definitely change)

1. The National-High Violet

2. Arcade Fire-The Suburbs

3. Beach House-Teen Dream

4. Deerhunter-Halcyon Digest

5. Broken Social Scene-Forgiveness Rock Record

6. Broken Bells-Broken Bells

7. The Album Leaf-A Chorus of Storytellers

8. Stars-The Five Ghosts

9. Dead Mellotron-Dead Mellotron

10. The Black Keys-Brothers

11. The Besnard Lakes-The Besnard Lakes are Roaring at the Night

12. Nightspring-Datura

13. Caribou-Swim

14. Phil Selway-Familial

15. Fictionist-Lasting Echo

16. Gorrilaz-Plastic Beach

17. Ratatat-LP4

18. Land of Talk-Cloak and Cipher

19. Aidan Knight-Versicolour

20. Karkwa-Les Chemins De Verre

21. Vampire Weekend-Contra

22. Jonsi-Go

23. Diamond Rings-Special Affections

24. Girl Talk-All Day

25. This is Happening-LCD Soundsystem

-

Ones that didn't make the top 25:

26. Zeus-Say Us

27. of Montreal-False Priest

28. Kanye West-My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy [Explicit]

29. Foals-Total Life Forever

30. The Chemical Brothers-Further

31. Massive Attack-Heligoland

32. So Runs the World Away-Josh Ritter

33. Delorean-Subiza

34. The Drums-The Drums

35. Congradulations-MGMT

^deal with it. :P

As for the second to last rule, I really would appreciate it if people put artist names first, then the album name. It's the way I organize them when putting the master list together, and if I haven't heard of an artist it's very hard to tell which name is which.

^Many, many thanks. :D

You know the most maddening ones are the people who (seemingly absent-mindedly) keep alternating between the artist and album names first on a single list. Especially when I haven't heard of most of the groups on their list. Especially when many of the album titles are also names of other groups that have nothing to do with the album so Google doesn't help.

So just to clarify, Gorilla Manor, is definitely not eligible? And we aren't voting for the All Delighted People EP? (I don't think we should. It's under an hour, its only got eight tracks and he has recently released an album as well. Plus, saying that it could be eligible because its really long album is like saying that an album that goes for 30 minutes should be eligible for EP of the year, in otherwords, it doesn't make sense). Also, WE AREN"T ALLOWED TO VOTE FOR IN RAINBOWS?!?