✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What is the greatest album ever?

will16

Give me your opinion on the top 5 greatest albums of all time. Keep in mind of influence on popular culture and the effect on music itself and how influential it was. I know everyone will say the beatles sgt. peppers and revolver in the top 5 but what would be the others?

Give me your opinion on the top 5 greatest albums of all time. Keep in mind of influence on popular culture and the effect on music itself and how influential it was.

That's quite an all-encompassing question.

top 5 just in your opinion i guess

That isn't.

1. The Nutcracker - Tchaikovsky first collection of songs called an album. That makes it the greatest. That is a fact.

It's funny that you say that. A Tchiakovsky 2-disc set was my first CDs ever. :wacky:

Anyway, like everyone else says, it's a matter of opinion. Also, there's so much good music out there, it would take a REALLY long time to know enough about it all to even try to make a reasonable assessment.

There's no such thing as the greatest album because it's all subjective. I mean how can you really measure if an album is greater than another. You could try albums sales, but then that would be most successful album.

other way to see it is most influential album, but as it is subjective it'll be really hard to do.

i'd be more interested in that list though.

cause sales are more predictable, usually best sellers are those who get more promotion, sadly, even when their quality is crappy, not counting ways of performance, which may show some creativity.

but again about most influential, how to measure the influence of artists that hardly got any song recorded? then they won't be counted which is not fair.

There's no such thing as the greatest album because it's all subjective. I mean how can you really measure if an album is greater than another. You could try albums sales, but then that would be most successful album.

D'aaaw wheeely?!!

I mean, duh. But normally when asked what the greatest album of all time it actually means "What's your favourite album?". Technically you are right I guess.

I don't think any real fan of music can just pick their favourite album like that, and with other aspects to answer it's an impossible question to figure out. Like someone's choice for their greatest album of all time would clearly be an album they love, but what if it wasn't a commercial success of considered highly influential? Then they couldn't pick it.

So then we sort of have to narrow our choices then, we have to firstly pick an album that's a commercial success and hugely influential, but we must also love it. So it's balancing all these things together.

And for fuck sake, if the thread starter can't even give an answer then how the hell are we supposed to.

Waste of time thinking about this.

It really depends on what you've heard. Imagine trying to get someone to make a list of the 5 greatest albums of all time but they haven't heard of the Beatles. Now, even if the Beatles aren't in the greatest five, it wouldn't be taking everything into account now would it?

It really depends on what you've heard.

this, and also it depends on the genres/styles, imo. people that like classic rock no doubt will list albums of that genre, people who like folk will do so with that genre.

one bands have influenced other genres/styles, so even not seeing it as influential album there are bands who are very influential, and again how to measure that?

how many bands have they influenced, which band have they influenced more?

what is the new they have brought?

and what about less known musicians that influenced others? if they have no album recorded they can't be considered as influential in music, when it isn't true at all.

is all subjective.