✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The 7th Mixtape Exchange (1ST POST UPDATE)

ivet

Yeah, Sofia and I talked for the first time in a while a few days ago. She actually made my tape for the last exchange, so that's how we started talking. We have a lot in common in terms of music taste. :D

NONONO, it's OK. I'm not angry or offended. In fact, I respect how you're able to be honest and tell me what you didn't like so I can do a better job for MTE 8. :smiley:

...Wait, you saw The Temper Trap live? I'm jealous. :bomb:

Oh, and you're quite welcome. :nice:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ :escaping2:

Yeah, Sofia and I talked for the first time in a while a few days ago. She actually made my tape for the last exchange, so that's how we started talking. We have a lot in common in terms of music taste. :D

NONONO, it's OK. I'm not angry or offended. In fact, I respect how you're able to be honest and tell me what you didn't like so I can do a better job for MTE 8. :smiley:

...Wait, you saw The Temper Trap live? I'm jealous. :bomb:

Oh, and you're quite welcome. :nice:

Yes she told me that she made it for you. And you maybe not remember but you reviewed mine because my partner didn't. That's why I'm glad I got yours this time. Sofia told me so many nice stuff about you :nice:

Yes she told me that she made it for you. And you maybe not remember but you reviewed mine because my partner didn't. That's why I'm glad I got yours this time. Sofia told me so many nice stuff about you :nice:

No, I remember. I still have that document saved on my computer, actually.

Awww, she did? :blush: That was quite nice of her. :wacky:

Track 1. Starts out with violins. The singer's voice sounds really familiar. Some brass instrument comes in near the end. It's a nice song, I really like the whole instrumentation.

Track 2. Female vocalist and an acoustic guitar. Oh, now I hear some piano. Not something I normally listen to, but it sounds nice. Okay, now drums, bass, and an electric guitar are coming in, this is getting interesting. It's pretty good overall.

Track 3. Starts out with wind instruments, then guitars and a piano come in. Don't really like the singer’s voice too much.

Track 4. This one is very electronic. The singer sounds a bit like Thom Yorke, and it really sounds like a song that would be on The Eraser. I like it a lot, but it didn't really seem to go anywhere.

Track 5. Echoey voices in the beginning, then a piano with weird noises in the background. The singer's voice is okay. It kind of fluctuates between being slow with piano and those weird noises in the background, and being fast-tempo with loud drums and a guitar which kind of hurts my ears, and the singer sort of screams. Don't really like it too much.

Track 6. Pretty mellow song. The guitar part is repetitive and become a little annoying over time though.

Track 7. I like this singer's voice, and the guitars are pretty. The vocal harmonies are really nice, and I like the violins too. I like how it's building up. Really good.

Track 8. The guitar part at the beginning is really pretty. The singer sounds a lot like the singer of Grizzly Bear. Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is Grizzly Bear. I've never heard this before, but it’s really beautiful. Ends too soon though.

Track 9. Synths in the beginning, and then the beat comes in. This sounds like it's going to be interesting. The synths come to an end as an electric guitar and the singer come in. I like the singer's voice, but it sounds a little too spacey.

Track 10. This one starts out with a long introduction of a bass, beat, and synths. The singer’s voice is high pitched and sounds familiar, but it seems pretty weak. The song is a little boring overall.

Track 11. This one sounds like Deerhunter. I always think his voice is pretty boring. The instrumentation and the "aaahs" in the background are nice though.

Track 12. This one has a female vocalist and a guitar. It's pretty and quiet, not really something I would normally listen to.

Track 13. Okay, I know this one, it's a Massive Attack song, don't remember what it's called though. I like it, it sounds really dark. And well, I just have to complain about it being only 8 kbps D: Sorry, I'm a bit of an audiophile.

Track 14. I think this one is a live song, there's an audience clapping in the beginning. It starts out with an orchestra, then there’s an electronic beat. I recognize this voice, it's Bjork. This is one of the few Bjork songs I've ever listened to, All is Full of Love. It's a really pretty song, and a nice end to the mixtape.

Overall, it's a pretty good mixtape, I enjoyed it. The songs went well together and there really weren't any bad songs on it. My favorites were 1, 4, 7, 8, and 14.

Thank you, whoever made this mixtape!

OK, so, for everyone, here's the track listing put all together:

1. "Pitter Patter Goes My Heart"-Broken Social Scene (You Forgot It In People, 2002)

2. "Call Me When You Get This"-Corinne Bailey Rae (Corinne Bailey Rae, 2006)

3. "All My Stars Aligned"-St. Vincent (Marry Me, 2007)

4. "If You Don't Wanna Love Me"-James Morrison (Songs for You, Truths for Me, 2008)

5. "Just a Thought"-Gnarls Barkley (St. Elsewhere, 2006)

6. "Suddenly Everything Has Changed"-The Postal Service (The District Sleeps Alone Tonight EP, 2003)

7. "The Flowers"-Regina Spektor (Soviet Kitsch, 2004)

8. "Illuminated"-Hurts (Happiness, 2010)

9. "Fire Escape"-Fanfarlo (Reservoir, 2009)

10. "Babys"-Bon Iver (Blood Bank EP, 2009)

11. "Giving Everything Away for Free"-Daniel Merriweather (Love & War, 2009)

12. "Hamburg Song"-Keane (Under the Iron Sea, 2006)

13. "Resurrection"-The Temper Trap (Conditions, 2009)

14. "Nothing to Give"-White Lies (To Lose My Life..., 2009)

15. "The Geese of Beverly Road"-The National (Alligator, 2005)

16. "Sea Lion Woman"-Feist (The Reminder, 2007)

17. "Autumn"-Paolo Nutini (These Streets, 2006)

A link will be up soon enough.

I wouldn't mind having a listen to this mixtape when the link is up, looks a nice set for my tastes :)

Review time :D

1- Starting with a soft, sweet tune with some xylo, harmonica, banjo and piano. Male voice, nice, compiled in 'layers'. The general feeling is bittersweet and atmospheric. Like it!

2-The sounds on the intro are kind weird but funny. I wonder how they make it?? Again, male singer with a mellow tune on accoustic guitar. The song is taking more and more 'grandeur' as it passes and becomes kinda epic. But I'm not a bit fan of it... It remind me of Sweeney Todd...dunno why.

3-Change of mood with some R'n'B. I'm not a big fan of that genre but is it Jay-Z??? Or Kayne?? Sorry, I'm not able to distinguish them, to me R'n'b singers all sound the same :facepalm: The second singer has a 'deeper' voice but dunno who this is either. Nice tune to listen distractly, but it will not go on my ipod.

4-Change of mood again with some nice, happy-feeling good tune. The guy has a nice voice ...sounds familiar though...Is that Sufjan Stevens???? And I love the drum beats parts *w*. This one is truly beautiful, I've fallen in love with it immediatly! Couldn't help but shaking head/taping feet!

5-This one is a quiet duet on accoustic guitar...The guy and girl have both nice voices .It remind me of the french band Cocoon, same feeling coming out of it. Nice.

6-Begining with some nice drums/bass combo (loooove that!!). Dunno the singer but he has voice easy to listen to. There is girl singing too, one the 'teenager in love with Christ and heaven(?)' on the chorus, she sound a bit like Zoe Deschanel from She&Him. This song sound a tiny bit like a Smith one (general feel of it), which is good to me ^^ Nice one again.

7-Change of mood with a more 'experimental' song. Can't decipher if the singer is a he or a she XD. Not a fan of that one.

8-Female singer! Some atmospheric/experimental tune mixed with I can't really describe it.... A mix between Bjork and Mew! She has a nice voice but I'm not totally smitten by her.

9-Back to accoustic guitar tune, male singer, joined by a nice electric guitar and piano a bit after. Nice mellow track.

10-Change of mood with a track that have a 70's feeling...the kind of 'lazy' track like Blondie. Female singer. This is ok. Funny the water sound at the end!

11-Back on accoustic guitar tune, country style. The guy has a nice deep voice suiting that kind of song. He sounds familiar though but I can't put my finger on it...Nice one.

12-Back on upbeat mode. Love the drum beat here but I don't like the girl's voice. She sounds a bit like Cindy Lauper. Too bad her voice annoys me (but it suits the lyrics well 'talking like a teen' :p ), the rest of the song is kinda nice.

13-Upbeat still, the intro sounds a bit like a Biffy one but change to a song that could have been from the Drums or that kind of bands. Not a big fan of the singers (a male and a woman join in on choruses). But the song is overall easy to listen to. It's radio friendly.

14-Back on quiet shore. Is he singing about the Vesuvio at the very begining?? It's a band 'song', kinda like 'I'm from Barcelona' but darker. Not a fan of this one, the synthe noise annoys me. Am I hallucinating or the choir are singing 'Sufjan' from time to time??? Is it a Sufjan Stevens song?? Judging by the weirdness...If it's him, I guess it must be from its last album (haven't listen to it but read it was..Experimental XD)

15-ahhh nice piano intro, like that! Nice soft rock tune but the lyrics are heartbreaking ('love is watching someone die'....). Not a big fan of the singer's voice but the song is very touching...T.T

16-Finally a song I know for having heard it so much on the radio ^^ And a one I really love, it's Angus and Julia Stone with Big jet plane. This is a cracker tune to close with. Really good choice!

So overall, a very nice tape! I really enjoyed it :) A lot of guitar/soft tunes but that's totally the kind of songs I'm listening at the moment, winter feeling :p I'm very curious about track 4 which was my little 'love at first sight'! <3

Anyway: big thanks!

I wouldn't mind having a listen to this mixtape when the link is up, looks a nice set for my tastes :)

:blush:

See, if I'd have known that, I would've complied this mixtape for you last time. :laugh4:

Hey, boss, I edited the post, and the link's up now, if you really want it. :wacky:

im gonna give my mixtape a few listens before reviewing . theres no deadline for reviews is there? x

No, not at all. You should give yourself enough time to review the tape sufficiently, but not so much that your partner starts to worry whether they'll get a review or not. As long as you post regular updates about where you're at in the process, it should be just fine. :smiley:

I don't know when I'll have time to listen to the mixtape though, I'll have a busy weekend :awesome:

nope, no review yet

Hey, I've already got my official review, so I'm good. Please, feel free to take your time. Just lemme know what you think when you're done. :smiley:

Oh. Well, if you end up being one of those unfortunate people who never get their tape reviewed, I'd be more than happy to do it for you. :nice:

Hey, I've already got my official review, so I'm good. Please, feel free to take your time. Just lemme know what you think when you're done. :smiley:

Oh. Well, if you end up being one of those unfortunate people who never get their tape reviewed, I'd be more than happy to do it for you. :nice:

And of course I'll let you know my thoughts about yours :wacky:

OK. I'm ready to post my review now.

The very first thing I thought of when I clicked on the link for it was, "Awww, only 10 songs? :sad:" I shouldn't be like that, as a lot of albums only have 10 songs on them, but I like a lot of music. :tongue:

Anyway, here's what I thought of it:

1. I really like this an awful lot. I was confused at first as to why the longest track was first, but it makes more sense after realizing it was an instrumental track. This is how I would imagine And So I Watch You Afar sounding like if they created softer music. As they're loud, though, I know it's not them. I can't wait to find out who this is. This was a great choice for an opener; it's very calm, and it's also in E major, which just happens to be my favorite key. :nice:

This is Your Hand in Mine by Explosions in the Sky. Funny you'd mention And I watch You From Afar, I've recently been meaning to check out more of them.

2. The beginning is really nice on this. It's also in E major, so yay for you. :smiley: The group singing is rather nice. Actually, my first impression on this was how the main singer sounds a LOT like Sufjan Stevens. I actually went through all my Sufjan music in my library to make sure it wasn't him. It's not, so I'm perplexed as to who this could be. Whenever I find out, though, I will most certainly look into it. This song is a great example of the type of folky music that I love to listen to.

Gather to the Chapel by Liam Finn. I think you'd really like his other music too, he's a really great musician.

3. I like the bend in pitches in the guitar part. I don't like how the vocals are so soft compared to everything else; I can't really hear the words or anything. However, what I can hear kinda reminds me of Matt Berninger of The National in the sense that like Matt's, the vocals are in the baritone/bass range, and I like that. The backgrounf music is really nice, but it overpowers the vocals. I guess the balance is the only issue I have with the song. It's still nice.

you see: they fall by Capsul

4. The beginning reminded me of "The Man Who Can't Be Moved" by The Script, for some strange reason. :confused: Anyway, this is a track where I had to listen to a bit to get used to the vocals. The first time I listened to this, I was kinda put off. With more listens, though, it got better, and the further it gets into the song, the better it gets, too. The song itself is kinda cute; it's got the bells going on in the background, and that's kinda cheeky. :blush:

Chariot by Page France :cheesy:

5. I really liked it-that is, until the vocalist came in. With Track 4, it didn't take a lot of listens for my ear to adjust. I think this one might take a few more. That doesn't mean I hate the song; the guitars are actually catchy and quite nice. That's what I really tried to pay attention to more than anything when listening to the song, and if I do that, I find that I like the song a lot more.

The Strokes - You only live once

6. What language was that in the beginning? I'm so lost. :laugh4: Anyway, after that bit, I got really into it with the guitars and the "NYAH NYAH NYAH NYAAAH" at the beginning. I like the vocals on this quite a bit; I think it's because it matches the attitude and sound of the song so much. It's got a sort of folkiness in it, but it's still generally indie rock-ish. It's hard to describe. All I know is that this song is incredibly catchy, and I like it an awful lot. :heart:

It was all in English! :lol: Australia by The Shins.

7. I'm not really sure what the beginning reminded me of, but it most certainly reminded me of something. I know that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Oh well. :tongue: When the vocals came in, I was kinda reminded of the '80s. It had that feel to it, with the way they're put into the song. Again, I'm not making a lot of sense. I can't help but help this artist sounds familiar. I woudn't take my word on that, though, since I've done that before on other mixtape reviews and been completely wrong. HAHA. :tongue:

This songs is actually from the 80's! New Order - Ceremony. You might have heard them or Joy Division before.

8. This one I knew instantly. It's "Life in a Glass House" by Radiohead. There's not much more to say about this because...well, it's Radiohead. I don't know if my mixtape partner was aware of how much I love this band. :wacky: Anyway, thanks for reminding me I should listen to this particular song more often. :nice:

Ahhh, I took a risk with this one. Well, I'm glad you also like it!

9. That's a lot of bells at the beginning. Interesting. This kinda has a classic feel to it. The vocals have a Bob Dylan feel to them, but it's not Bob Dylan. That's good, though, because I don't really care much for Bob Dylan, anyway. (Don't judge me. :tongue:) The vocals are a hit/miss, depending on the parts. Some of it is OK, and other parts are kinda just like, "Um, no." The music itself is nice, though. I find that I often like the background music better, anyway. :lol:

Wilco - Ashes of American Flags. tbh, I'm not too much of a Bob Dylan fan either. :P

10. This song served as a very nice closer to the whole thing. The chord progression in the beginning was great. The vocals are so great. It's like Guy Garvey and Owen Pallett had a love child. :wacky: No, seriously. It has that raspiness that Guy Garvey has, but the singing itself sounds an awful lot like Owen Pallett. I really want to know who this is. Seriously. I need to listen to more of this. NOM NOM NOM.

It's Ramona by Beck. :heart: It's from The Scott Pilgrim vs. The World soundtrack, which he did lots of awesome work with.

Anyway, whoever you are, my mixtape maker, I thank you. You've given me a rather nice tape. I'm quite pleased. :nice: I'm sorry my review wasn't incredibly long. I hope you don't mind.

Now. REVEAL YOURSELF! :cheesy:

sorry it was so short. :sad: I'm extremely picky with the songs so by the time I'm finished with it, it's always too short. sorry sorry sorry.

Anyway, thanks for the lovely review!

Here's the tracklist altogether:

Explosions in the Sky - Your Hand in Mine

Liam Finn - Gather to the Chapel

Capsul - you see: they fall

Page France - Chariot

The Strokes - You only live once

The Shins - Australia

New Order - Ceremony

Radiohead - Life in a Glass House

Wilco - Ashes of American Flags

Beck - Ramona

And here's the link.

Liam Finn and Beck? How the bloody hell did I not recognize them? :freak: I excuse myself from Beck, since I've only started listening to him sparsely very recently, but Liam Finn? I have frickin' "Champagne in Seashells." I feel like a moron now. :disappointed:

Thanks, Alyssa. :nice: I definitely have to look up more Explosions in the Sky now...as well as find Liam Finn's albums. He is so frickin' good. :heart: Oh, and I shall listen to more of the Beck that I have sitting unlistened to in my iTunes. :tongue:

2. The beginning is really nice on this. It's also in E major, so yay for you. :smiley: The group singing is rather nice. Actually, my first impression on this was how the main singer sounds a LOT like Sufjan Stevens. I actually went through all my Sufjan music in my library to make sure it wasn't him. It's not, so I'm perplexed as to who this could be. Whenever I find out, though, I will most certainly look into it. This song is a great example of the type of folky music that I love to listen to.

Gather to the Chapel by Liam Finn. I think you'd really like his other music too, he's a really great musician.

Note to self: Must listen to Liam Finn's stuffs.

Isn't he like... Eddie's favorite musician?