✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The 7th Mixtape Exchange (1ST POST UPDATE)

ivet

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the tracklist altogether:

Explosions in the Sky - Your Hand in Mine

Liam Finn - Gather to the Chapel

Capsul - you see: they fall

Page France - Chariot

The Strokes - You only live once

The Shins - Australia

New Order - Ceremony

Radiohead - Life in a Glass House

Wilco - Ashes of American Flags

Beck - Ramona

And here's the link.

:surprised: I likes dis a lot.

I definitely have to look up more Explosions in the Sky now...

:whip:

Hey Ivet *waves*, in the event a few people don't get their's at the end of the week, I'd be up to making a backup tape as well.

Woots! :wacky: Alright, let me start. :| I wrote a brief review for every track and evaluated them on a 10-points scale. And there are 21 tracks total :freak:

Track 1

Sounds fresh and decent. It is really a good choice for an opening track. (8.5/10)

Track 2

Gorillaz? Maybe not, but it sounds like Damon Albarn to me. And that'd be the reason why I like it! Other than that, I like the song overall, it sounds so euphoric. (8.5/10)

Track 3

Rock-ish, with booming cymbals and snares. Pretty good. (8/10)

Track 4

"Keep on feelingggg Keep on feelingggg" :D One Life Stand by Hot Chip! One of my favorite Hot Chip's songs. (7/10)

Track 5

I had hard time to fit myself from Hot Chip's catchiness to this track's partial jazz feeling (maybe because of the saxophone!) :lol: Just okay. (5/10)

Track 6

This track sounds old and classic :P At the beginning, I was like "err?" but it later grows on me, and at the end of the track I really love it! A new discovery for me. (8/10)

Track 7

To be honest, I don't really fancy female vocalists, but this lady really gives my ears a wake-up call. The first few seconds of track have succesfully captivated my interest on the track. A good one. (7.5/10)

Track 8

Quite dark. The hype of excitement from the previous track doesn't blend with this song's mood, but anyway it's not a big matter. But overall this track is just okay. (5.5/10)

Track 9

Kettering by The Antlers! Undoubtedly my favorite The Antlers' song! This song is really sad, oh my god the lyrics are so sorrow, the song is so gloomy T.T Love it. (9/10)

Track 10

That fa fa fa part, I'm not sure about the correct lyrics but it appears as FUCK FUCK FUCKKKK FFFUUUUU to me :lol: Such a light track, I enjoy the song very much! (7/10)

Track 11

Sounds like a modernized Beirut! I like it! Short and nice. (7.5/10)

Track 12

As I mentioned before, I don't really fancy female vocalists. Maybe that what makes me to feel less interested with this track although it's not a bad track. But even though I don't really like this track as a whole, I actually picked up a few parts though. (6/10)

Track 13

Piano instrumental :wideeyed: Love the way how it begins slowly, and gets fast minute by minute. (7.5/10)

Track 14

ehhhh this is not bad! Another instrumental song, with two different instruments. I like it! (7/10)

Track 15

omg this song sounds very old :surprised: Sounds so 50's :p Not a fan of old songs, but this one works for me (6.5/10)

Track 16

...same review as Track 15 lol. I just have no idea how to comment on these kinds of songs :lol: (6/10)

Track 17

"Old man look at my life I'm a lot like you were" - this line tickled my fancy. Old, folky mood, it's pretty good. (7/10)

Track 18

Is this The Doors? At first, I didn't like it, but after second listen it kinda grows on me. (7/10)

Track 19

The guitar riff is simple but sounds astonishing to me. But overall it is just okay. (6.5/10)

Track 20

The intro sounds so goooooood! It's awesome. (7.5/10)

Track 21

Frankly speaking, I find this is not a good song to end a mixtape. This song doesn't have the majestic and bizarre feeling to like, summarize the goodness of the whole mixtape. It is not a bad song after all. (5.5/10)

Overall review

The first part of the mixtape (Track 1 - 12) are the best part, as most of them are indie and alternative. For the second part of the mixtape (Track 13-14) are mainly instrumentals, and it was fine to me. I am not a big fan of instrumental songs, but this mixtape gives me an opportunity to give this kind of songs a shot, and yeah I like them. The third part of the mixtape (Track 15-21) is the most tricky. As I don't really listen to old songs, I was a little surprised because I received a mixtape in which 40% of the tracks are old songs! I have no idea how to write a review for these tracks, but I did try my best to do so even it wasn't my cup of tea. :\ I'm really sorry if my review doesn't satisfy anyone's preference, it's just my personal opinion. But at least this mixtape gives me a wakeup call that not all old songs are dull and boring! :D

As a whole, it's a good mixtape, but 21 songs total are too much! :freak: :p

It has a good flow, except for the transition for a few songs, but it's not a huge flaw after all. And I think you forgot to remove the information for a few songs, so I got to know there are Iggy Pop, The Doors and Yann Tiersen in your mixtape. :dozey: :P

Thanks for the mixtape, now I am ready to know who you are! :wiseguy:

hahahaaa.....HELLO RUDY:charming:

I seriously though I'd totally freak you out with my mixtape....so I am glad you were only freaked out by a few songs....I must admit I didn't really think of how to end the mixtape...I just put the songs in an order to make them fit together....

I wanted to put different genres that I like on it....(like old jazzy stuff, funky stuff, indie/alternative stuff, psychedelic, instrumental,....)

I am sorry that it was so long....I realised that after I sent it haah.....

I will post the tracklisting in some minutes I think....

thanks for listening btw..:wacko:

Hi secret partner, here I am

Track 1. Slow and ''airy'' beginning of the mixtape. I like that, sets up the thing. Good one to open.

Track 2. (ok right I realised after listening to 3 songs that my player wasn't playing them in the right order so I went back to the real Track 2, it flows way better now) Electro, calm still there's an increasing dynamism in the track. Nice one, could be a mix of a video game music and a Jon Brion track ahah. The ''light'' feminine voice is not that of a singer I would appreciate but it's sweet.

Track 3. Let's welcome chords in the mixtape, yiha! Still a crazy ''dreamy'' track. I guess the whole mixtape will be made of these electro/atmospheric songs... could all come from the same album, so congrats for being that ''coherent'', it really flows well. Although as it's not the kind of stuff I'm used to, I'm afraid of getting a little bored.

This one's not bad though, especially with the kind of ''tension'' which is built throughout the track.

Track 4. Funny one, conveys a feeling of strange ''lightness''. Dunno... I feel like playing in the snow ahah. Once again I wouldn't listen to it for a too long time but once a while it's... fun(?)

By the way I really dislike that guy's voice on the ''I'm never gonna give it to you'' ahah.

Track 5. Ahhhh goodbye electro. Me like, me like! The beginning of the song is totally lovely, the voice is quite interesting. Very good one! My fav so far, the lyrics are awesome too. It's a kind of modern Bob Dylan ahah...

Track 6. Getting solemn: very soft and sad piano track, no lyrics. That's beautiful.

Track 7. Very promising beginning with original sounds of... triangles and bells or whatever? That one is quite cool, a bit Amelie-ish if you know this French movie?

Me like it!

Track 8. I'm not good at associating songs to a specific style of music but I'd say this one is like... ''poppy''... but it remains sweet. I don't want to sound rude but I'm finding it almost narcotic. The Keyboard part around 3:00 highly reminds me of a song I like though ahah. The end is quite pleasant with all the voices singing at the same time. Overall the song sounds quite old-fashioned to me.

Track 9. Good preview of the music dead people listen in heaven :D

Track 10. Back to airy and electronic music. Sounds a bit retro though, not the kind of thing I would listen to usually as it is a bit too repetitive, I think that might drive the listener crazy after a while ahah.

Track 11. I like the beat of this one, and the effect on the voice is quite pleasant, I just wish it was slightly more dynamic. Reminds me of a telepopmusik track which I like.

Track 12. Isn't it the same band/singer than Track 5? Liked it from the first seconds. I really wanna know who's that guy. Once again, I like it.

Track 13. Beautiful. Starting with a violin, once again it's quite solemn but very touching.

Track 14. Tags weren't deleted so I could see it was Sigur Ros. I know them but I never gave them a try so it's done now. I like the percussions but this ''airy'' voice is too... ''angelic'' for me ahah.

Track 15. Slower than the precedent song (if possible), good way of closing the mixtape, especially as it's kind of never-ending :P

So well, even if it's not the kind of music I enjoy listening, I admire the work done on this mixtape. It was a cohesive one made to fit to a special atmosphere which probably corresponds to a universe my mixtape maker like to explore. Quite touching.

It'd give it a 7/10.

I hope my comments do not seem too offensive, I tried to be objective but do not worry, I was really happy and enjoyed listening to these tracks.

I'm looking forward to discover the tracklist, especially cause I want to hear more stuff from the artist of track 5 and 12.

Thanks a lot :)

The person I made my tape for hasn't posted since signing up. :shame:

Ouch :\

hahahaaa.....HELLO RUDY:charming:

I seriously though I'd totally freak you out with my mixtape....so I am glad you were only freaked out by a few songs

Yay :awesome:

I was really freaking out to be honest :shame:

But it's actually a good tape :wacko:

Here is the tracklist to my mixtape (given to rudy...)

1.) Girl- Beck

2.) Herculean- the good, the bad and the queen

3.) The Air near my fingers- the white stripes

4.) One night stand- Hot Chip

5.) Playground love- Air

6.) Lazy Butterfly- Devendra Banhart

7.) The Golden Age- The Asteroids Galaxy tour

8.) Optimist- Suuns

9.) Kettering- The Antlers

10.) Psycho Killer- Talking Heads

11.) Dance Party in the Balkans- Alaska in winter (band by that guy from Beirut btw...)

12.) In the waiting line- Zero7

13.) Heimat- Hauschka

14.) La Dispute- Yann Tiersen

15.) Guilty- (in this case) Russ Columbo (another one from the "Amelie" soundtrack:blush:)

16.) Bei mir bist du schön- Max Raabe & Palastorchester (I thought that would freak you out most because of his voice hahaha)

17.) Old man- Neil Young

18.) People are strange- The Doors (I thought after finding out that this is a doors song you should have guessed who made that mixtape....:p

19.) Crown of creation- Jefferson Airplane

20.) The Passenger- Iggy Pop

21.) Venus in furs- Velvet Underground

oh and about the old stuff.....I listen to quite much old stuff....I am so behind haha:wacky:

edit: here is the link

Sorry, it was so short. :sad: I'm extremely picky with the songs so by the time I'm finished with it, it's always too short. Sorry.

Anyway, thanks for the lovely review!

Here's the tracklist altogether:

Explosions in the Sky - Your Hand in Mine

Liam Finn - Gather to the Chapel

Capsul - you see: they fall

Page France - Chariot

The Strokes - You only live once

The Shins - Australia

New Order - Ceremony

Radiohead - Life in a Glass House

Wilco - Ashes of American Flags

Beck - Ramona

And here's the link.

Good tape, yo.

1.) Girl- Beck

5.) Playground love- Air

8.) Optimist- Suuns

11.) Dance Party in the Balkans- Alaska in winter (band by that guy from Beirut btw...)

13.) Heimat- Hauschka

15.) Guilty- (in this case) Russ Columbo (another one from the "Amelie" soundtrack:blush:)

16.) Bei mir bist du schön- Max Raabe & Palastorchester (I thought that would freak you out most because of his voice hahaha)

17.) Old man- Neil Young

18.) People are strange- The Doors (I thought after finding out that this is a doors song you should have guessed who made that mixtape....:p

oh and about the old stuff.....I listen to quite much old stuff....I am so behind haha:wacky:

could you please post the download link? :shy:

1.) Girl- Beck

5.) Playground love- Air

8.) Optimist- Suuns

13.) Heimat- Hauschka

17.) Old man- Neil Young

This is actually the first time I listen to Velvet Underground haha

Thanks Jules, now I need to download some stuffs from Beck, Devendra Banhart and Alaska In Winter. :wacko: Their music seems to fit into my preferable genres!

And yes, I was thinking of you when I got to know it was The Doors! :lol:

PS: If not because of this tape, I will probably think Devendra Banhart was a girl forever! :shame: