✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Wikileaks releases 250000 confidential US embassy files

busybeeburns

However when I think about it, this could be an excuse for Western Goverments to justify the passing of emergency laws to control the media, end off. !

Western Governments don't need any more power, limiting the Media etc, arn't we meant to be Countries where Freedom of Speech is paramount?.All these emergency laws are more akin to Soviet Russia or Nazi Germany than the 'free' Western World and it shouldn't happen.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wtf, why does everyone here seem to think that the whole purpose of the United States is to take over the world? :wtf:

Are you all conspiracy theorists are something? :shifty:

Our military bases in most counties and constant interfering is proof of our desires for an empire. Every major power wants it. It is no conspiracy theory, simply foreign policy.

Wtf, why does everyone here seem to think that the whole purpose of the United States is to take over the world? :wtf:

Are you all conspiracy theorists are something? :shifty:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manifest_Destiny

You don't have to be paranoid or a conspiracy freak to know there's a small warped part of the American zeitgeist most often embraced by the types who get into government in the first place that preaches America is supposed to control the world in one way or another. I think there's enough of a libertarian movement afoot in the states to make them stay very careful about it since many Americans would have a very big problem if it was public policy, but yes, it's pretty well documented that America has a very long, complex history of manipulating many things behind the scenes. One could say American destabilization in the past is a big contributing factor in many conflicts around the world today. ie. Arming Iraq to take on the Soviets, and then freaking out when the evil dictator they backed turned out to be an evil dictator with no more soviets to fight.

I don't know about that. Is Daniel Ellsberg a marked man? The US government tried to put him in prison for leaking the Pentagon Papers, and failed.

By contrast, Julian Assange didn't even do anything illegal. All he did was to publish the papers that were given to him. The only person who did anything illegal by US law was the guy who leaked the information in the first place, Bradley Manning.

Yep, but Assange is the figurehead. They're looking into manipulating the law to get him.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2034088_2034097_2035994,00.html

Come on, we all love a gossip, but we dont need Pardoara box being opened. !

Think like this would you tell, your folks friends your darkest secerts if you ever did anything.. that was considerd as bad, silly dark .. betrayed.. no !

However when I think about it, this could be an excuse for Western Goverments to justify the passing of emergency laws to control the media, end off. !

#1 It already has been opened this week. Too late to close it now.

#2 I wouldn't want to, but I would rather have my dirty laundry aired than loose my right to free speech.

#3 I sure looks like it's headed that way, doesn't it? Some would say it's been headed that way for a while. Western governments have become more and more authoritarian ever since 9/11.

løllerskates
As messed up as the whole situation is, there is nothing quite as funny as watching all of the hundreds of misguided ways the media try to explain anonymous when even they can't quite get their heads around it. :laugh3:

Our military bases in most counties and constant interfering is proof of our desires for an empire. Every major power wants it. It is no conspiracy theory, simply foreign policy.

I would agree with what you're saying.

But at the same time shouldn't the government try and look back at history and see that ever big/great empire has always collapsed especially by expanding it's influence in the world?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manifest_Destiny

You don't have to be paranoid or a conspiracy freak to know there's a small warped part of the American zeitgeist most often embraced by the types who get into government in the first place that preaches America is supposed to control the world in one way or another. I think there's enough of a libertarian movement afoot in the states to make them stay very careful about it since many Americans would have a very big problem if it was public policy, but yes, it's pretty well documented that America has a very long, complex history of manipulating many things behind the scenes. One could say American destabilization in the past is a big contributing factor in many conflicts around the world today. ie. Arming Iraq to take on the Soviets, and then freaking out when the evil dictator they backed turned out to be an evil dictator with no more soviets to fight.

Thanks for explaining it better. . . but I'm still awful at politics so I'm going to leave now before I embarrass myself more. :anxious:

_50391734_010831571-1.jpg

Wikileaks protests in Spain over Julian Assange arrest

Protests have taken place across Spain calling for the release of Wikileaks founder Julian Assange, who is facing extradition from the UK to Sweden for alleged sexual offences.

Hundreds of people gathered outside the British embassy in Madrid calling for him to be freed.

Wikileaks is publishing insights from hundreds of thousands of sensitive US diplomatic and military documents. The demonstrators believe Mr Assange's detention is politically motivated. The whistle-blowing website has angered and embarrassed governments around the world through its publication in recent weeks of classified US diplomatic cables.

Mr Assange was detained in London on Tuesday after Sweden secured an international warrant for his arrest. Prosecutors in Sweden say they want to question him in connection with the sexual offence allegations. He was refused bail by a British court and has said he will fight extradition.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11977406

Assange is sitting on some seriously dangerous information, considering the CIA hasn't killed him yet. That "insurance" file must be killer.

Assange has opened the door to dozens of copycat sites that use similar techniques to upload leaked information in an untraceable way. So even shutting down Wikileaks and killing him won't end this revolution. For the first time in history, the people are able to see how the elites operate - and it isn't pretty.

Assange is sitting on some seriously dangerous information, considering the CIA hasn't killed him yet. That "insurance" file must be killer.

Assange has opened the door to dozens of copycat sites that use similar techniques to upload leaked information in an untraceable way. So even shutting down Wikileaks and killing him won't end this revolution. For the first time in history, the people are able to see how the elites operate - and it isn't pretty.

Bank of America stops handling Wikileaks payments

_50462091_assange.jpg

Julian Assange was freed on bail in the UK earlier this week

Bank of America stops handling Wikileaks payments

Bank of America has stopped handling payments for whistle-blowing website Wikileaks, joining several other major financial institutions. It said it acted because "Wikileaks may be engaged in activities that are... inconsistent with our internal policies for processing payments".

In response, Wikileaks urged its supporters to stop doing business with the bank - one of the world's largest. MasterCard, PayPal and other companies earlier cut off Wikileaks' payments.

The financial institutions acted after Wikileaks - together with several major media organisations - began publishing thousands of secret US diplomatic cables, causing tension between Washington and some of its allies. Wikileaks founder Julian Assange was earlier this week freed on bail in the UK while facing extradition proceedings to Sweden over sexual assault allegations.

Mr Assange, 39, dismissed the claims as part of a "smear" campaign. He also said he was worried about an attempt to extradite him to the United States, adding that Washington was conducting an "aggressive" and "illegal" investigation into him and the website. In a statement, the North Carolina-based Bank of America said it would "not process transactions of any type that we have reason to believe are intended for Wikileaks".

The statement provided no further details. Wikileaks responded in a message on Twitter, urging "all people who love freedom close out their accounts at Bank of America".

The website also called for businesses to "place your funds somewhere safer". Wikileaks has recently said it will soon release documents that will point to "unethical" practices" at some US banks.

There has been speculation that the Bank of America could be one of the institutions mentioned in the US diplomatic cables.

He's got something on the bank that would expose some pretty serious matters (so it sounds), so Bank of America naturally does this in response. Given the choice right now, I would trust Assange over any of the Wall Street banks / investment firms, given how they orchestrated the financial meltdown, which we're still feeling the effects from.

Jefferson should have insisted on a separation of Bank and State, as well as Bank and Trading Street - given the revolving door we have in Washington and the money flowing from Wall Street to Re-election Campaigns, it's little wonder the mess we're in today, and it's ripples are acting like Tsunami waves in the United Kingdom as well right now.

• 3 weeks later...

_50712461_50712460.jpg

Birgitta Jonsdottir says she helped produce a controversial Wikileaks video

US wants Twitter details of Wikileaks activists

The US government has subpoenaed the social networking site Twitter for personal details of people connected to Wikileaks, court documents show.

The US District Court in Virginia said it wanted information including user names, addresses, connection records, telephone numbers and payment details. Those named include Wikileaks founder Julian Assange, US Army Pfc Bradley Manning and an Icelandic MP. Pfc Manning is suspected of leaking classified US documents to Wikileaks.

He is facing a court martial and up to 52 years in prison for allegedly sending Wikileaks 250,000 diplomatic cables, as well military logs about incidents in Afghanistan and Iraq and a classified military video.

According to the court order by the District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, US prosecutors have provided evidence showing that there are reasonable grounds to believe the information held by Twitter is "relevant and material to an ongoing criminal investigation".

The San Francisco-based website was also told not to disclose that it had been served the subpoena, or the existence of the investigation. On Friday, the Icelandic MP named in the court order told reporters that her personal details had been subpoenaed by US officials.

Birgitta Jonsdottir, who once worked with Wikileaks, said the US Department of Justice had also asked Twitter for all of her tweets since November 2009. She said she had 10 days to appeal against the subpoena.

Ms Jonsdottir wrote on her Twitter feed: "USA government wants to know about all my tweets and more since 1 November 2009. Do they realise I am a member of parliament in Iceland?"

She said that she would call Iceland's justice minister to discuss the request. "I think I am being given a message, almost like someone breathing in a phone," she said.

Ms Jonsdottir has said she helped to produce a video for Wikileaks showing a US Apache helicopter shooting civilians in Iraq in 2007. The classified video, released by Wikileaks last April, brought the whistle-blowing website to the world's attention. The website's founder, Julian Assange, is currently fighting extradition from the UK to Sweden, where he is wanted for questioning as part of an inquiry into alleged sex offences.

Ms Jonsdottir reportedly left Wikileaks late last year after she argued unsuccessfully that Mr Assange should take a low-profile role until his legal troubles were resolved.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12141530